Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
when you aggressively punish everyone who doesn't toe the npr line on venezuela there's nothing to debate and discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

:actually: since people are already going hungry in Venezuela things obviously cannot get any worse and so it's perfectly justified to cut off all food imports.

Listen, by even suggesting that things can be worse, you are downplaying the current situation. As a result, the only moral thing to do is to make things worse, because to not make things worse would be ignoring the sacrifice of everyone who has suffered under the status quo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I'm not sure exactly what good nationalization would do at this point since Venezuela is already a food importer. The state isn't going to be capable of importing foods any better than private companies under the conditions of the embargo.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

im surprised you wouldnt at the least try to draw a meaningless pedantic distinction between a ship being seized and a ship being ordered never to go to venezuela while en route

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm not sure exactly what good nationalization would do at this point since Venezuela is already a food importer. The state isn't going to be capable of importing foods any better than private companies under the conditions of the embargo.

total nationalization

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the affluent and whiter enclaves aren't having food shortages, claim that and distribute it fairly

if any of them object, expropriate their homes and revoke their citizenship, let them go begging to the imperialists like worked out so well for the defectors

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

the affluent and whiter enclaves aren't having food shortages, claim that and distribute it fairly
just a reminder that a d&der waddled in here pulling up his trousers to proclaim that this is propaganda and such filth should be banned from social media

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Epic High Five posted:

lmao the D&D thread is indeed just crickets and tumbleweeds for some reason

john bolton stating he refuses to do anything if maduro is allowed to take part is actually maduro's fault

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

just a reminder that a d&der waddled in here pulling up his trousers to proclaim that this is propaganda and such filth should be banned from social media

um weren't people like literally walking around on video in these stores and there was tons of food around?

lmao the neogusanos or whatever the mengele-eichmanns are called now are taking this to PragerU levels of "actually this never happened, the videos are fake and you cannot trust your memory, only us"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the misleading claim is that such videos are trying to paint a picture that there is no food crisis in venezuela when the intent of the videos as narrated by the journalists during the videos themselves is to show that selectively there is no food crisis in certain sectors of venezuelan society to counteract the false mainstream narratives

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even the random youtube travel vlogger who just goes around pointing cameras at things (i assume he was not paid by maduro) expressed an unease with the stark contrast between the poor and affluent sectors of venezuelan society

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

during the great depression in the US we had what were called food riots

this meant a bunch of angry hungry americans formed a mob and ran into grocery stores and pulled food off the shelves

people starving to death don't just go ok i guess i'll go lie in this ditch and die now if there's food all around them unless you have a lot of men with guns telling them to go away

(note that one of the issues in the american great depression was a problem of food overproduction causing market failures and not because there was too little food)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Epic High Five posted:

they're about to once this embargo fully takes affect.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

instead of disbanding ICE, what if we just re-purpose it for reactionary expats

Vilerat Rereg
Aug 5, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Honestly an invasion and US loss would probably be better in the long term than this insidious drawn-out starvation campaign

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Vilerat Rereg posted:

Honestly an invasion and US loss would probably be better in the long term than this insidious drawn-out starvation campaign

Ignoring the fact that US invasion would also come with massive civillian bombing campaigns using white phosphorous and other chemical weapons like we did to Iraq

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ignoring the fact that US invasion would also come with massive civillian bombing campaigns using white phosphorous and other chemical weapons like we did to Iraq

yes but it's the only way forward

-vuenuezla ex pats living in america

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

hosed up that maduro is weaponizing food by embargoing guaido's country

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Well the blood is entirely on Maduro’s and colectivo gangsters’ hands is they refuse to unconditionally surrender and disband to prevent this tragedy.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

look at this goofball
https://twitter.com/ericfarns/status/1159312579094818816?s=20

quote:

Former White House, State Department, USTR, now @ASCOA. Western Hemisphere stuff, mostly. Also trade, China, global affairs. Frequent media commentary.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

that resume and not even a blue check what a cuck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

motherfucker's still using a Blackberry

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

the nyt is a legit news source while telesur et al etc etc etc you're a mark

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Inside Venezuela's Homeless Houses (Abandoned Hotel Bad Conditions)"

It's important that I show both sides. Come along for a guided tour by neutral everyday locals. *gets out of new mercedes g-wagon*

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Aug 11, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don’t have the tweet handy but Ben Norton and Max Blumenthal are (still?) in Venezuela making videos and stuff again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t have the tweet handy but Ben Norton and Max Blumenthal are (still?) in Venezuela making videos and stuff again.

quote:

https://twitter.com/TitusMichaeleus/status/1160602825682014213

"Clearly all the news reports about how Maduro and the military hosed everything up are false if people are having fun for a moment!"

anyway it looks like Argentina just had an election and a left-wing party won?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not an election, it's like a "qualifying round." Candidates needed at least 1.5% of the vote to qualify to the first round of voting in october, and the opposition got 47%. If the vote totals repeat in October it will mean the opposition wins without a run off. It's the likely result because voting is mandatory and so something like 75% voted this time around, so the government would need to flip 15% of voters to win in October.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just a primary vote, which doesn't do much but gauge the direction the electorate is in.

It was amusing though, they partnered with some company to tally the results, said it would all be transparent and online by 9pm local time. That time came and passed, no news, page blank. Eventually the president came on to say they had a disappointing result and promised to do better in the general, all while the results still weren't available. lol, eventually they did come and it was 47% vs 32%.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKCN1V104H

quote:

“This is something that nobody expected. Nobody had these numbers. All the pollsters have failed.”

Analysts predict a slide in Argentine stock and bond prices when financial markets open on Monday if Fernandez records a lead of more than five to six percentage points - slightly more than the level predicted in recent opinion polls.

There could be an even stronger degree of market volatility if final results show that Fernandez has enough support to clinch the presidency in October’s first round, analysts said.

In order to win the presidency outright, a candidate needs at least 45% of the vote or 40% and a difference of 10 percentage points over the second-place runner. If there is no clear winner, voters will return for a run-off on Nov. 24.

time for capitalist panic

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

how long until the CIA gets him thrown in jail on bogus charges to ensure the markets are protected

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

how long until the CIA gets him thrown in jail on bogus charges to ensure the markets are protected

Cristina Fernandez?

She has like 6 major corruption scandals under her belt and she's still winning lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frijolero posted:

Cristina Fernandez?

She has like 6 major corruption scandals under her belt and she's still winning lol

lmao that rules

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
In a normal world, Fernandez and Lula would be corrupt idiots who shouldn't be allowed to run for dog catcher. But because we live in Cold War II and fascism reigns, they are actually noble populists who absolutely need to be back in power nationalizing poo poo away from the neoliberal ghouls.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I think it’s Cristina Kirchner (former president and Vice President of the Fernadez ticket) who is the one with corruption charges against her.

I don’t know anything about Alberto Fernandez though.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my bad. Yeah, still cool tho

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frijolero posted:

In a normal world, Fernandez and Lula would be corrupt idiots who shouldn't be allowed to run for dog catcher. But because we live in Cold War II and fascism reigns, they are actually noble populists who absolutely need to be back in power nationalizing poo poo away from the neoliberal ghouls.

Lula's not very corrupt at all, op. Like, even if we take Moro's accusations against him seriously, which we shouldn't, it's so drat low-level.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Lula's not very corrupt at all, op. Like, even if we take Moro's accusations against him seriously, which we shouldn't, it's so drat low-level.

For the record, I think corruption is good if it's used to advance popular causes and fight poverty, especially if you don't get caught. I called them idiots because they got caught.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frijolero posted:

For the record, I think corruption is good if it's used to advance popular causes and fight poverty, especially if you don't get caught. I called them idiots because they got caught.

Lula didn't get "caught," he got framed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

Lula didn't get caught, and he wasn't corrupt. The Lava Jato investigation was a right-wing, US-lead effort to sabotage the Worker's Party government and the Brasilian economy to prevent them from being able to make any kind of progress.

https://fair.org/home/brian-mier-on-brazilian-political-scandal/

https://theintercept.com/series/secret-brazil-archive/