Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I paint my skintones a ton of different shades. I seem to do better with midrange and dark tones, my white folk and east Asians don't look right.

I was particularly happy with my Captain, who I modeled after a muay tai fighter.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I hope Cawl secretly incorporated a killswitch into all of this new vanguard stuff for the eventual Mechanicus uprising.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
X-posting.

Z the IVth posted:

Converted ETB Intercessor into a Smash Captain. DIY chapter.

More views.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Noted 30k goon/posting menace tkwg paints his Salamanders like that and has managed to get some pretty great responses off of SA. Particularly with his Vulkan.

A+++ extremely recommend doing this. Natural skin tones tend to look better than unnatural ones, and painting regular black Sallies still fits within established fluff while making a certain segment of posters incredibly angry. Really nothing but benefits.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Haven't painted any Marines in a while now but so far I've done Raven Guard pale/alabaster skin.

Even if it turned out really chalky because of the paints. Really need to pick a better way of painting alabaster skin because its always ended up chalky for me regardless.

And the dark grey Salamanders skin.

Closest I've come to a darker more natural shade was with an AoS Stormcast.

Been wanting to try the new skin tones but haven't gotten around buying those yet.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Stephenls posted:

This raises the most important question—will they be modeled so you can have a guy with his rifle slung over his shoulder and a knife in both hands, or will the dual-knife option just be modeled via dual sheaths?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Z the IVth posted:

X-posting.

So how do you build a smash captain now that you can't stack FNPs? Raven Guard thunder-hammer/shield with the relic jump pack and the Iron Resolve trait?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I did an Army Showcase today on Goonhammer for my Night Lords. Come look at some old-rear end models I painted a long time ago!

https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-thechirurgeons-night-lords/

Also on Goonhammer today, One_Wing did a preview of the tournament he's going to, along with some top lists that are gonna be there and how he expects to play against them. Read that too, I guess. But definitely read the army showcase.
https://www.goonhammer.com/tournament-preview-three-cool-lists-from-the-london-open/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tallkidwithglasses posted:

A+++ extremely recommend doing this. Natural skin tones tend to look better than unnatural ones, and painting regular black Sallies still fits within established fluff while making a certain segment of posters incredibly angry. Really nothing but benefits.

Do you have any pictures of them?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/08/space-marines-preview-scions-of-guillimangw-homepage-post-1/

Whoever mentioned that they were going to do Ultras next were right.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Me!

This is nice. Usually I'm super-wrong about everything I predict.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hmm. Tyranic War Vets.

So we're going to get chapter-specific units that can be built using existing kits.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Hmm. Tyranic War Vets.

So we're going to get chapter-specific units that can be built using existing kits.

Tyrannic war vets are a specific box that can be bought online.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

Tyrannic war vets are a specific box that can be bought online.

See above, re: my predictions usually being wrong.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY099ihULs

Safety Factor posted:

:frogsiren::siren: Warlord WIP :siren::frogsiren:

Still to do: Highlight the red and bone segments, highlight the silver nodules on the shoulders, pick out another couple of lenses, minor clean up, shade/highlight/clean up the head, etc. The left foot is raised and resting on a blob of greenstuff for now. Later, once I get around to final basing, it'll be resting on a pile of rubble.

I also have this goddamn pile of arms and weapons :shepface:

I'll be honest, I love this kit. I think this warlord is the single best model GW has ever produced. There are a couple of small things that could've been improved, such as cables being picked out better, but they're so minor they're unimportant and are likely a limitation of plastic versus resin at this scale. It takes forever to paint though. So much goddamn trim. I worked on one reaver and four warhounds simultaneously before this and that somehow felt like less of a slog. I think that's hindisght screwing with me though. Here's a little size comparison:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you have any pictures of them?

I post them in the Good Thread but here’s a selection for Bad Thread.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
They look fantastic!

Also what's the good thread?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

gilljoy posted:

They look fantastic!

Also what's the good thread?

The 30k thread, probably.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I'm a new to 40k player. I'm trying to create an Ordo Xenos Inquisition Army to play with. So Far I have

1 x Watch Captain Artemis
1 X Dreadnought
20 X Deathwatch Veterans
10 X Tempestor Scions
1 x Inquisitor Eisenhorn

What I want:
One of Each Assasin for Eisenhorn Retinue.
Corvus Blackstar

What else should I be looking at to round out this army? Anything I should drop? I'm trying to do this with the understanding that the Keyword Imperium will be the only thing holding these units together. I also don't think I'm being new or innovative and that someone has done this before, but I haven't found anything online. Any advice?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Did you share the recipe for that skin somewhere?
That's a cool army.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Sunwrath Pistols - Wait, so Cawl solved the plasma overheat issue too? Why are we still cooking our super-elite guys? :psyduck: (yeah, yeah "mysterious crystals")

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kore_Fero posted:

Sunwrath Pistols - Wait, so Cawl solved the plasma overheat issue too? Why are we still cooking our super-elite guys? :psyduck: (yeah, yeah "mysterious crystals")

If I had the talent I'd make a Cawl version of the Shotgun Wizard comic to respond to this.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ayn Marx posted:

Did you share the recipe for that skin somewhere?

When I’m home I can get the specific color numbers, but it’s vallejo dark brown as a base, highlight by mixing in flesh tone 50:50, wash the whole thing sepia, pin wash black, re-highlight with 75:25 flesh tone:dark brown.

The best advice I found when reading tips and guides was that darker skin naturally has sharper contrasts than paler skin, so shadows should be darker and highlights should be lighter than what you’d do if you’re painting a honky.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

When I’m home I can get the specific color numbers, but it’s vallejo dark brown as a base, highlight by mixing in flesh tone 50:50, wash the whole thing sepia, pin wash black, re-highlight with 75:25 flesh tone:dark brown.

The best advice I found when reading tips and guides was that darker skin naturally has sharper contrasts than paler skin, so shadows should be darker and highlights should be lighter than what you’d do if you’re painting a honky.

I'm so sad that the dude that melted down on Reddit deleted all his posts.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

You're a bitch idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Those look great. Thank you.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

drat.

Those are hot fire.

I really like the burnt gold effect on some of the metallics

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

This is fantastic. I love that colour scheme and you've done a great job with it.

Once they get around to releasing more sub-Reaver sized titans it's going to be hard for me not to start a Solaria maniple.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

crazystray posted:

drat.

Those are hot fire.

I really like the burnt gold effect on some of the metallics

Alcohol based metallics! They “read” as actual metals way better than water soluble paint. You can also huff them and get really high.

For Vulkan I used copper, old gold, gold and silver and muted with a brown oil wash before final rounds of highlights. For the regular guys it’s copper with old gold and gold highlights, again using an intermediate oil wash.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the name of the iPhone program that does all those cool effects?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the name of the iPhone program that does all those cool effects?

LensFX. It has Dinosaurs and UFOs too that, imo, are criminally underused in battle reports.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

LensFX. It has Dinosaurs and UFOs too that, imo, are criminally underused in battle reports.

It’s good without them, imo

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

It’s good without them, imo

Agreed.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ghazk posted:

Agreed.

COILS OF THE HYDRA

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Muglife is also bad.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

COILS OF THE HYDRA

This explains why enemy reserves are at -1 under coils.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

This is fantastic. I love that colour scheme and you've done a great job with it.

Once they get around to releasing more sub-Reaver sized titans it's going to be hard for me not to start a Solaria maniple.
Thanks. The green is actually really simple, I sponge up from Caliban Green to Deepkin Flesh; each layer is paler than the last. I'll include the full list of steps for you.
Bascoat the panels Caliban Green
Sponge the following colors, drawing towards the center or other focal point as they get lighter
Castellan Green
Loren Forest
Elysian Green
Nurgling Green
Deepkin Flesh
Glaze thinned Waywatcher Green (50/50 glaze/medium) over entire panels to tie the greens together (:rip: GW glazes, but I've got a stash and one pot pre-thinned)
Sponge Deepkin Flesh one final time towards the center/focal point
Then it's brass for the trim and recess shading at the edges with Nuln Oil. Followed by endless trim highlighting.

I know it looks like a lot of steps, but sponging is really fast and you can do an entire titan's panels at once. Hell, I did five at once for my venator maniple. :shepface:

And, yeah, I am really looking forward to more medium titans. The reaver is fine, I like it a lot more at AT scale than 40k, but I want to see some weird poo poo like the carnivores and nightgaunts they name-dropped in Titandeath. Rapier scout titans too. They're supposed to be even smaller than warhounds with one carapace-mounted weapon. :3:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Safety Factor posted:

They're supposed to be even smaller than warhounds with one carapace-mounted weapon. :3:

Hmmm....

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Andy Hoare is a huge, unabashed fan of oldhammer stuff so I can see that being the inspiration. Dude even paints his 30k EC with black vehicles to emulate this image: