Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

No, it's fine, the law is fair to everyone, the system hasn't been hosed forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

TMMadman posted:

:psyduck:

Does she somehow think keeping eggs in the refrigerator would be better for potential chicks growing in the eggs?

if you put the eggs under a heat lamp they hatch, if you refrigerate them they don't, if you leave them out in the open either could happen, so simple

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

emfive posted:

I went to the grocery store to get stuff including eggs. At the checkout the young woman told me that I should go right home because I had cold stuff. I said "well frozen spinach will just be non-frozen spinach if it thaws out but I'm going right home anyway." Then she reminded me that I had some eggs too. I randomly noted (because I am an old) that "Europeans don't refrigerate their eggs, egg stuff is all different there" and she looked at me a little worried and said "is that good for the babies inside?" I had to break it to her that chicken babies in commercial eggs in grocery stores are kind-of non-existent.

What does knowledge of European egg culture have to do with your age. Has their treatment of eggs changed in recent years

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

BONGHITZ posted:

what's devils triangle?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think that residential density is kind of a red herring vs overall planning, I can find London neighborhoods with exactly the same houses/square km that are walkable to retail and light rail/subway with half hour commutes to the city center whereas I have zero transit except one time I saw a bus

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shovelbum posted:

moving into the suburbs of NC enabled me to have things like "a landlord who takes my calls" and "a place that isnt collapsing under the weight of mice", the individual houses out here are relatively boxy and compact and close together but the lack of overall planning and mixed-use means a car is required to do anything and it's incredibly stupid given that this is a huge dense brick of residential.

but in town was a tech bro/rich college kid hellworld where rents were skyrocketing to infinity and any options involved either displacing a community or "being incredibly rich"

We are blessed to have good property managers and a clean apartment in a good neighborhood with an absurdly low rent (relative to the other complexes around us) but I definitely understand the appeal of the burbs

I might not have a balcony but I got a nice window overlooking a super busy intersection and watching the world go by while smokin and drinkin is sublime

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Good soup! posted:

We are blessed to have good property managers and a clean apartment in a good neighborhood with an absurdly low rent (relative to the other complexes around us) but I definitely understand the appeal of the burbs

I might not have a balcony but I got a nice window overlooking a super busy intersection and watching the world go by while smokin and drinkin is sublime

well la dee da college boy

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

nice

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

it's a good thing there are two arrows,
would not have been able to find both hands

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

UFOTacoMan posted:

what is aggrotech?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
commercial American eggs are washed and processed in a way that deprives them of their natural coatings and mandates refrigeration while fresh from the chicken eggs can sit out iirc

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Hatebag posted:

I searched youtube for aggrotech and this band "freaky mind" came up. It sounds like marilyn manson trying to sound tough over a video game. Not to my taste! I'll stick with powerviolence, tyvm

sorry i only remember aggrocrag

amd sailor

blandular
Aug 22, 2004

I'm reading MLK's account of the Mongomery bus boycotts, Stride Toward Freedom, and I got to this part after his house was bombed. Something something history something itself

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i also think the american 'dense urban core' is bullshit outside the largest cities that were always that way like nyc, bc capitalism means that anything walkable is immediately replaced with perfectly volumetrically optimized apartments and bars and insanely fancy retail

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N SKULLS N STOMPS N

gregday
May 23, 2003

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lol pretty weak

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

yes it is absolutely the same thing very insightful Ben

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lol

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shovelbum posted:

that shits mostly out in office parks anyway, only tech bullshit can afford to be located somewhere walkable. also the infrastructure is just bars

no, the infrastructure is things like mass transit

if you live in a 1st-ring suburb of minneapolis then you need to walk up to like a mile before you can catch a bus and most buses out there are express buses to take you into the city or maybe if you happen to be going somewhere on the express route

if you live in a 2nd-ring suburb of minneapolis then literally the only bus is the express bus and it only comes by once an hour and you have to drive several miles to the nearest park and ride to catch it

meanwhile if you live in mineappolis proper or one of the neighbourhoods/cities that are not technically mineappolis but are considered part of the metro, you gotta walk maybe a block or two to catch a bus that connects you to where you want to go

and if you actually live in minneapolis or saint paul proper then there is the light rail which is very fast and frequent

living in a suburb means you all but have to have a car, car insurance, car maintenance, etc., and either that is a huge additional tax on your finance or you're a bougie gently caress with enough money not to care

but either way you are isolated, atomized, kept away from community, and not able to walk, bicycle, or transit anywhere

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

In a bizarre twist, I need some more explanation from Garrison.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lorn Wayne posted:

well la dee da college boy

lol I suffered for too long as an idiot journalist so im LIVIN IT UP bitch

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol nice

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Also living in Houston made me understand the true hellscape of urban sprawl loving sucks and makes everything look like poo poo and it's a pain in the rear end and fucks up the environment and we are all gonna die rip

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

lmao

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

urban sprawl loving sucks and makes everything look like poo poo and it's a pain in the rear end and fucks up the environment and we are all gonna die rip

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Also living in Houston made me understand the true hellscape of urban sprawl loving sucks and makes everything look like poo poo and it's a pain in the rear end and fucks up the environment and we are all gonna die rip

i thought that was also cuz there’s no zoning so there’s pig poo poo farms right next to elementary schools lmao

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Houston is over 100 miles across at its widest lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

emfive posted:

I went to the grocery store to get stuff including eggs. At the checkout the young woman told me that I should go right home because I had cold stuff. I said "well frozen spinach will just be non-frozen spinach if it thaws out but I'm going right home anyway." Then she reminded me that I had some eggs too. I randomly noted (because I am an old) that "Europeans don't refrigerate their eggs, egg stuff is all different there" and she looked at me a little worried and said "is that good for the babies inside?" I had to break it to her that chicken babies in commercial eggs in grocery stores are kind-of non-existent.

folks, america is early not sending its best

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

*pounding clipboard* EGG EGG EGG EGG

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

juche avocado posted:

big, beautiful porches

im a bbw lover, myself (big beautiful wraparounds)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1159545310328369152?s=20

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Houston should just embrace climate change and convert its travel infrastructure from roads to canals. Hell, it could turn into a tourist destination.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One trick I'm seeing these nazis and nazi collaborators playing is they conflate shame and harassment with actual physical harm. Like one of the reporters who was calling out Castro tweeted that he was "targeting the donors for harassment/harm". As if calling someone out publicly and trying to take away their customers is the same as showing up to their house with a gun. Or that threatening to no longer patronize a business is the equivalent of a terrorist act.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Epic High Five posted:

they left a message and it's only notable because it was a person and not a machine lol

or maybe a really convincing machine

hmmmmmm

The FDCPA forbids leaving a message about debt due to privacy laws, so it's either a scam or a poorly run collection agency (most are poorly run)

If it's not a literal scam you can and should threaten to sue them for the voicemail alone

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Inspector Hound posted:

Houston is over 100 miles across at its widest lol

Same

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

no, the infrastructure is things like mass transit

if you live in a 1st-ring suburb of minneapolis then you need to walk up to like a mile before you can catch a bus and most buses out there are express buses to take you into the city or maybe if you happen to be going somewhere on the express route

if you live in a 2nd-ring suburb of minneapolis then literally the only bus is the express bus and it only comes by once an hour and you have to drive several miles to the nearest park and ride to catch it

meanwhile if you live in mineappolis proper or one of the neighbourhoods/cities that are not technically mineappolis but are considered part of the metro, you gotta walk maybe a block or two to catch a bus that connects you to where you want to go

and if you actually live in minneapolis or saint paul proper then there is the light rail which is very fast and frequent

living in a suburb means you all but have to have a car, car insurance, car maintenance, etc., and either that is a huge additional tax on your finance or you're a bougie gently caress with enough money not to care

but either way you are isolated, atomized, kept away from community, and not able to walk, bicycle, or transit anywhere

im in north carolina so a bus anywhere runs like hourly at best and barely exists beyond the very center of town

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

heartbreaking,

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1159546036140068864?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

fits my needs posted:

i thought that was also cuz there’s no zoning so there’s pig poo poo farms right next to elementary schools lmao

pretty much tbh, the city has let developers do whatever the gently caress they wanted for years because you know telling them "hey you can't build here" might make businesses owners MAD AT US!!!!!! and they will take their business and completely abandon the city!!!!!!!!!

The city didn't even break the top 20 in the Amazon HQ hunt, I mean gently caress Amazon and all, but lmao at a buncha city leaders being absolutely shocked that thousands of strip malls, dialysis clinics, car dealerships, and easily flooded infrastructure surrounding poo poo like schools and hospitals might be repellant to businesses these days