Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just got the lifetime Plex Pass for $75 offer in my email. Is that as cheap as it gets, or is there a cheaper offer? Thinking about finally pulling the trigger, mainly for the updated AppleTV player, the music lyrics function, and the ability to easily download episodes to my phone.

And to support the devs, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the one people usually jump on. I've had it once but didn't have $75 of 'fun money' available, so hopefully some point in the future I'll get another. Playing hard to get!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think $75 for lifetime is as cheap as it's ever been.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just got the lifetime Plex Pass for $75 offer in my email. Is that as cheap as it gets, or is there a cheaper offer? Thinking about finally pulling the trigger, mainly for the updated AppleTV player, the music lyrics function, and the ability to easily download episodes to my phone.

And to support the devs, I guess.

Yeah, that's the lowest it's gone and what I paid about 4ish5ish years ago.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I got that email and am mulling it over too. I don’t think I need any of the pay features right now but who knows what gets added in the future. Plus I have gotten a ton of value out of it for free already..

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I pulled the trigger on Plex Pass yesterday and have been playing around a bit with the enhanced player on AppleTV and I'm a little confused.

I was under the assumption that the enhanced player had more compatibilities with audio and video formats, similar to how Infuse works (or so I've been told, I've never actually used Infuse because I don't want to pay for it.)

And it is true now that I'm using the enhanced player, when I play a video that has a DTS or AAC track, the dashboard on my Plex server lists the audio as playing via Direct Play. It used to say "AC3 Transcoding" with the old player.

But my receiver still says "Dolby Digital" when these files are playing. Would it still read as Dolby Digital if I was using Infuse? Does the enhanced player just move the process of transcoding the DTS track from the server to the player? When I play back DTS files in Plex on my SmartTV, the DTS carries through to the receiver. Not possible on the Apple TV, even with the enhanced player?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I pulled the trigger on Plex Pass yesterday and have been playing around a bit with the enhanced player on AppleTV and I'm a little confused.

I was under the assumption that the enhanced player had more compatibilities with audio and video formats, similar to how Infuse works (or so I've been told, I've never actually used Infuse because I don't want to pay for it.)

And it is true now that I'm using the enhanced player, when I play a video that has a DTS or AAC track, the dashboard on my Plex server lists the audio as playing via Direct Play. It used to say "AC3 Transcoding" with the old player.

But my receiver still says "Dolby Digital" when these files are playing. Would it still read as Dolby Digital if I was using Infuse? Does the enhanced player just move the process of transcoding the DTS track from the server to the player? When I play back DTS files in Plex on my SmartTV, the DTS carries through to the receiver. Not possible on the Apple TV, even with the enhanced player?

The Apple TV only supports Dolby Digital audio passthrough, so I'm guessing it's just some weird workaround the enhanced player has to do to get any non-Dolby Digital audio track to direct play. Like spoofing the audio or something? No idea, but if your server is showing that DTS/AAC/whatever tracks aren't being transcoded, then it's all good. Another thing to try is going into the Apple TV audio settings (not the Plex app settings) and check to see if it's set to Dolby Digital 5.1 or Best Available. If it's the former, see if setting it to Best Available does anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Infuse found a workaround a few years back that allowed them to send unsupported audio formats to your receiver, but Apple patched it up. I'm guessing the enhanced player in Plex is doing an internal conversion rather than forcing the server to do it. Audio is always going to be the one weakness of the Apple TV sadly.

The enhanced player does fix things like lovely 24fps handling and finally supports 2 ref frame encoded video though which is good. I'm hoping the enhanced player comes to non-paid accounts sooner or later, I get that they have to offer features that'll make people pay but "a non broken video player" just feels a bit mean.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Plex has rolled out some UI changes over the past week or two and holy poo poo it's 50x better than it used to be. Press left and a left panel opens up so you can switch between movies, TV, music, live TV, etc with the greatest of ease. I've been waiting for this for forever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Plex has rolled out some UI changes over the past week or two and holy poo poo it's 50x better than it used to be. Press left and a left panel opens up so you can switch between movies, TV, music, live TV, etc with the greatest of ease. I've been waiting for this for forever.

Yeah, the "UNO" UI is pretty much the version I and I think a lot other people have been waiting for to roll out. Happy to see it's now going live on like every platform. It's even on the web app now, and it owns.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

What client do you have? I thought this Rolled out everywhere months ago. Edit: maybe it was only for plex pass users?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cornjob posted:

What client do you have? I thought this Rolled out everywhere months ago. Edit: maybe it was only for plex pass users?

I'm plex pass and it only showed up on shield within the last few weeks.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm plex pass and it only showed up on shield within the last few weeks.

Same here. I have a FireTV that hasn't updated yet.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I have ATV and have had it for a few months

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

The UNO UI update rolled out an official release on Roku back in April, along with a beta version for tvOS. It's now officially rolling out to every platform, even iOS and Android (soon). My Xbox One got it like two weeks ago. The web app only recently just got the update.

[edit] https://www.plex.tv/blog/uno-everywhere/

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 8, 2019

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm sure tizen will get it the same way it got the last update, by totally breaking Plex for a week or two again

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cornjob posted:

I'm in Canada so I wonder if that's the difference? Prime video works a bit differently up here.

I did an app status check on mine and there are no updates pending.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cornjob posted:

I've always had Plex Pass so I don't think it's that.

I noticed it coincided with the Oreo update for my Shield devices.

Oddly enough, Plex that was built into my OLED always had the current kick rear end UI, even as far back as a year ago.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It finally fixed that stupid bug on shield where Plex would never show your on Deck or recent shows unless you edited a setting or switched users

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

well I guess Amazon is spying on this thread because Plex updated on my FireTV last night.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Plex licensing has always been a bit confusing to me. If I have plex pass (either the montly or the one time life time pass), will that allow me to share my library with friends/family without them having to enter a monthly paid subscription?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your shared users won't need a Plex Pass to access the server but if they want to use the mobile apps they will still need to pay a one-time charge.

The Plex web app works decently on modern phones, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You also don't need Plex Pass to share your library, but it does open up a few more options if you do. Nothing major from memory, though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
They would also need to buy a Plex Pass to access your live TV tuner

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They would also need to buy a Plex Pass to access your live TV tuner

Is that new? Because I used to have my HDHR hooked up as of a year ago and people who I shared with who absolutely did not haev plex pass could use it.

Of course.....that may have been through a plug in (HDHRViewer).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought shared users (not other users on your home account, actual shared users) couldn't use a tuner at all due to legal fears?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Motronic posted:

Is that new? Because I used to have my HDHR hooked up as of a year ago and people who I shared with who absolutely did not haev plex pass could use it.

Of course.....that may have been through a plug in (HDHRViewer).

To share your tuner with others:

1. The person with the tuner needs a plex pass
2. The other users need to be set as “home users” on your plex account, rather than “shared” (they can be remote, but you have to pretend they are part of your household.)

When they open their plex app, they just need to select their username (as opposed to yours) and bobs your uncle

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 10, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does Plex still not play nice with symlinks? I've found a number of posts on the matter from a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the issue lies with Plex or me goobering something up with the softlink.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Warbird posted:

Does Plex still not play nice with symlinks? I've found a number of posts on the matter from a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the issue lies with Plex or me goobering something up with the softlink.

They worked for me, I was able to create a new library out of softlinks in a new directory and play stuff. Didn't try anything more complicated than that though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Plex decided the other night to attempt to hardcode chinese subs into my TV episode despite me having already told it to never play subs by default. since I run plex off a lovely nas, it was trying to transcode with the subs in there which made playback not work.

I never want subs on unless the scene has other languages in it and then I only want english subs. how do i tell Plex to do that? because that setting doesnt seem to exist or doesnt work.

for reference i only watch english films/tv, specifically have configured sonarr/radarr to avoid foreign/dubs too. literally the only time subs should work, in theory, is when someone starts talking in russian, but its always a lucky dip as to how playback of a file with subs actually goes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This tends to happen when the audio track is set to ‘unknown’ language, despite the fact it’s almost always English. It’s a pain in the butt.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Laserface posted:

I never want subs on unless the scene has other languages in it and then I only want english subs. how do i tell Plex to do that? because that setting doesnt seem to exist or doesnt work.

It works, but like El Bromance said, the audio and subtitle tracks need to have the proper language and forced metadata. [edit] You can edit the metadata easily using mkvtoolnix gui.

[edit] For clarity: movies that have scenes in other languages, the specific subs for those scenes should have the "forced" flag added to them when editing metadata.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 14, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there a handbrake/post process thing i could incorporate to automate this somehow?

i get that its not a *huge* issue, but considering it totally crippled the system to the point i had to restart the plex client so I could re-launch the episode after configuring the playback options, its something I'd like to avoid happening in the future.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a reason a Roku would be transcoding video fairly frequently from my Plex server? I set a family member up with a Roku Express at the recommendation of this thread and it's been mostly fine for direct playing but I'm seeing a lot of video transcoding lately which I've been trying to keep to a minimum.

According to Tautulli, the transcoding is at a higher bitrate than even the source material which makes no sense. All my files are x264 that the person watches and the audio transcoding is fine since it's pretty low on the resources.

Is there anything in the settings I can change to lower the amount of transcoding that's happening on her Roku? To the best of my knowledge it's setup for original/max quality in all settings.

https://imgur.com/a/PDDixmq is the image showing what I see from Tautulli

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nairbo posted:

Is there a reason a Roku would be transcoding video fairly frequently from my Plex server? I set a family member up with a Roku Express at the recommendation of this thread and it's been mostly fine for direct playing but I'm seeing a lot of video transcoding lately which I've been trying to keep to a minimum.

According to Tautulli, the transcoding is at a higher bitrate than even the source material which makes no sense. All my files are x264 that the person watches and the audio transcoding is fine since it's pretty low on the resources.

Is there anything in the settings I can change to lower the amount of transcoding that's happening on her Roku? To the best of my knowledge it's setup for original/max quality in all settings.

https://imgur.com/a/PDDixmq is the image showing what I see from Tautulli

Aside from the should-not-be-a-big-deal audio transcoding it's doing:

Does that file have subtitles of some sort it's trying to burn into the video with a transcode? Non-SRT subtitles on a Roku can do that.

If so, you can have them set the "Burn subtitles" setting to only image formats which should cut down on it.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 14, 2019

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

is there a handbrake/post process thing i could incorporate to automate this somehow?

i get that its not a *huge* issue, but considering it totally crippled the system to the point i had to restart the plex client so I could re-launch the episode after configuring the playback options, its something I'd like to avoid happening in the future.

handbrake has an option to scan the subtitle tracks for ones that only show up a small percentage of the time, then burn those in. the assumption being that those are the ones for like the 20s of foreign language dialogue in an otherwise english film. it’s mostly correct, i think i had one movie where it picked up some weird sub track that would occasionally pop up with sound effect names.

you could run that on your whole library and drop all other subtitles. it would be a lot of transcoding but all your files would play great in plex.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dren posted:

handbrake has an option to scan the subtitle tracks for ones that only show up a small percentage of the time, then burn those in. the assumption being that those are the ones for like the 20s of foreign language dialogue in an otherwise english film. it’s mostly correct, i think i had one movie where it picked up some weird sub track that would occasionally pop up with sound effect names.

you could run that on your whole library and drop all other subtitles. it would be a lot of transcoding but all your files would play great in plex.

my plex player supports everything up to h.265 stuff so transcoding isnt really worth the electricity. is there a batch script or similar I could run using that other mkv tool to drop subtitles besides required english?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Plex macOS/Windows app has been updated with the UNO UI. It also streamlines the download feature to be part of the actual UI now—instead of just downloading the file to whatever folder, it now gets added to a "Downloads" library for offline viewing within the app instead. Pretty cool. [edit] It's basically Plex Sync for the desktop but it actually works lmao.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 16, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

teagone posted:

Plex macOS/Windows app has been updated with the UNO UI. It also streamlines the download feature to be part of the actual UI now—instead of just downloading the file to whatever folder, it now gets added to a "Downloads" library for offline viewing within the app instead. Pretty cool. [edit] It's basically Plex Sync for the desktop but it actually works lmao.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/

There's no TV mode, and they won't be supporting TV mode going forward. They'd been slowly breaking it since putting the UNO layout into PMP; I guess it was intentional.

quote:

Second: Plex Media Player. The desktop “side” of the (admittedly Janus-esque) Plex Media Player will live on in the form of the new desktop app. For the TV layout lovers out there, we want to be clear about this: the long-term plan is for the new desktop app to replace Plex Media Player as our only desktop solution. The new desktop app is notably lacking TV mode, which means that we’re going to stop supporting the traditional HTPC setup (using a desktop computer connected to your TV or home theater) with this app. There. We said it. It marks the end of an era for us, and we’d be lying if we said it wasn’t a little bittersweet. But take heart. We looked at how most people were using the app, and most of you will have an equal (if not better) experience with a streaming device and our new players.

...and they'll keep updating PMP for another 5 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

astral posted:

There's no TV mode, and they won't be supporting TV mode going forward. They'd been slowly breaking it since putting the UNO layout into PMP; I guess it was intentional.

It's called UNO for a reason lol. It's basically the OG Plex Home Theater app UI—which was easily the best—but with some added customization options.