Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

PST posted:

Given Hollywood/media accounting I expect it to show they lost a billion dollars.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/thr-esq/wil-wheaton-sues-geek-sundry-web-series-profits-1229358

Huh, the big news here is that actors are still willing to sign net profit contracts and expect that they will ever, ever pay out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Did Ettin's Medium article about Zak S allegedly making GBS threads his pants at a Chick-fil-A on the last day of Gen Con '17 get taken down?
I got a 404 when I was trying to link it for a friend.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
it was rehosted here

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

SageNytell posted:

Did Ettin's Medium article about Zak S allegedly making GBS threads his pants at a Chick-fil-A on the last day of Gen Con '17 get taken down?
I got a 404 when I was trying to link it for a friend.
It did, but it’s been rehosted
here.

Also re: the 30-50 feral hogs thing, an actual expert on the topic did a good thread on how it does interconnect with racism.

https://twitter.com/gnrosenberg/status/1158702396505284608?s=20

The core takeaway is that the tweet itself is just the dumbshit “no I really need a military grade rifle for not made up reasons” garbage, but as always there’s an underlying connection to structural racism. So it’s not really a white supremacist dog whistle in the way the OK sign or “accidentally” using 1488 is, but it is a window into their world view, wherein they imagine the world is full of existential threats that can only be safeguarded against through extreme violence and draconian policy. Unlike with “ironically” using the OK sign or similar signifiers, which just spreads them and creates confusion that benefits the fascist, mocking the feral hogs thing is almost certainly the right response. Putting a light on the fundamental absurdity of that hypothetical also illuminates the absurdity and bad-faith inherent in the world view that allows for it to be presented seriously, even if the precise wording was exaggerated for effect.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 7, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So it’s not really a white supremacist dog whistle in the way the OK sign or “accidentally” using 1488 is,

30-50 hogs for 3-5 minutes.

30+50+3+5 = 88

Por que no los dos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soon he will drop the bomb of not getting why Black Panther was a big deal to black folks in general.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

I assume Raggi is not the guy at the booth? I’d certainly steer clear of gencon if I were him.

He was at the show, at least. I saw him during setup.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Raggi blends in at conventions because he looks like the type of guy from your high school who was a metal head but is now middle aged and still into metal, acting like he's still a teen.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Comrade Gorbash posted:

here.

Also re: the 30-50 feral hogs thing, an actual expert on the topic did a good thread on how it does interconnect with racism.

https://twitter.com/gnrosenberg/status/1158702396505284608?s=20

The core takeaway is that the tweet itself is just the dumbshit “no I really need a military grade rifle for not made up reasons” garbage, but as always there’s an underlying connection to structural racism. So it’s not really a white supremacist dog whistle in the way the OK sign or “accidentally” using 1488 is, but it is a window into their world view, wherein they imagine the world is full of existential threats that can only be safeguarded against through extreme violence and draconian policy. Unlike with “ironically” using the OK sign or similar signifiers, which just spreads them and creates confusion that benefits the fascist, mocking the feral hogs thing is almost certainly the right response. Putting a light on the fundamental absurdity of that hypothetical also illuminates the absurdity and bad-faith inherent in the world view that allows for it to be presented seriously, even if the precise wording was exaggerated for effect.

This plus my general impression is "But what if I need to kill lots of, uh, something" commentary is talking about black people in veiled terms.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Soon he will drop the bomb of not getting why Black Panther was a big deal to black folks in general.

Ah, so he's a CineD poster.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also like boars don't require any sort of special firearm to kill. These aren't grizzlies with their bullet proof skulls. Like even in the most angry boar parts of the south where my family live at most it's a normal hunting rifle problem. The assault rifle is definitely for killing humans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Earthorn posted:

Ah, so he's a CineD poster.

Zing!

Also valid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comrade Gorbash posted:

here.

What happened? Did Zak get to Ettin’s hosting provider?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kurieg posted:

https://twitter.com/DawnforgedCast/status/1158933035644940288

"By using big scientific terms I am the winner in this social engagement."

I posted a reply on Twitter mocking this asshat and his caliper collection and within minutes a literal real life friend of mine had DMed me attacking the woman for having "moronic concepts".

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

I posted a reply on Twitter mocking this asshat and his caliper collection and within minutes a literal real life friend of mine had DMed me attacking the woman for having "moronic concepts".

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

:sever:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Toshimo posted:

30-50 hogs for 3-5 minutes.

30+50+3+5 = 88

Por que no los dos.
I think there is a certain value in steadfastly refusing to let the Nazis lay claim to a two-digit integer. If using things that add up to 8, or the number 8, was gonna somehow summon Hitler (Extreme) like this was Final Fantasy XIV, all the supermarket chains selling 88 cent cans of corn would have summoned him long ago.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 8, 2019

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's literally been a far right dogwhistle longer than many posters here have been alive. It has not been a matter of "ceding ground" for decades, it just is.

Nobody is saying "Aha, it is the Hitler number! This not racist message is actually racist after all!" It's that seeing that number in the context of "We need to make sure we defend our innocent children from a constant threat, an unending tide of feral other unable to be communicated with and only brought violence against" is kind of a big red cherry on the poo poo sundae. Your repeated dismissal of this is beginning to border on insulting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fair enough. My apologies to the thread at large.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does that interact with cultures that see 8 as a lucky number? Is “Golden Heaven 88” a white supremacist establishment, or just really good hot and sour soup? Do white supremacists think that Vancouver real estate listings are statements of racist solidarity?

I know the answers, but I do wonder if there’s an edgy buddy movie about “Apartment 88” waiting to be made

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also like boars don't require any sort of special firearm to kill. These aren't grizzlies with their bullet proof skulls. Like even in the most angry boar parts of the south where my family live at most it's a normal hunting rifle problem. The assault rifle is definitely for killing humans.

Yeah, guns can be useful tools, but this whole "I have to have an armory because rural living" like the 30-50 boars meme is just absurd. I grew up in the country as well, and despite being able to hear coyotes sometimes from my bedroom window, the main animals I was taught to be careful about growing up were deer, possums, and snapping turtles. The latter two having a tendency to lurk around barns, sheds, and ponds and get really nasty if startled, and the former because they're stupid as gently caress and a major danger when driving or just being nearby if they get spooked by their own farts or whatever dumb poo poo.

Needless to say, AR-15s weren't a big part of dealing with those sorts of things. Hunting rifles were fine, if we used firearms at all. My dad, far from an enlightened soul, usually just told me to use a baseball bat to drive them out of the garage or barn. When a huge snapper came on to our property while we were kids, I remember he used a pitchfork to deal with it, because he could only find .22 ammo. The coyotes were mainly an issue for getting into garbage, though we suspect they did kill an outdoor cat of ours at one point.

Despite all that, I've seen people from my high school acting like we grew up in some sort of nature-Vietnam, any time gun control comes up. Most of the loudest were also, unsurprisingly, ones who actually lived in the nearby town and rarely, if ever, actually had to deal with any of this poo poo directly, at least on their own property.

Which is part of the latest narrative I find important to puncture. There's this persistent notion that "rural america" uniformly has to have guns and all the big city libruls just don't understand that they're a basic necessity. In reality, "rural America" has a fairly big chunk of it in towns with pest control of various sorts (albeit often the sheriffs office or some private exterminator) that has about as much need of rugged individualist gun wielders as the suburbs do. And even if you live outside a township, you're not carrying guns around everywhere for fear some wild animal is going to leap out of the bushes.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 8, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

the real reason that post is hilarious is that an automatic rifle will not save you from that many hogs. its even funnier because they also generally avoid humans unless you specifically go after them

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The untold story of the tweet is that the specific game the small children were playing was "torment the feral hogs".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Serf posted:

the real reason that post is hilarious is that an automatic rifle will not save you from that many hogs. its even funnier because they also generally avoid humans unless you specifically go after them
Yeah, this has been scientifically proven over in the LP forum. You'd want a Mk 19 to have a decent chance.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Nessus posted:

I think there is a certain value in steadfastly refusing to let the Nazis lay claim to a two-digit integer. If using things that add up to 8, or the number 8, was gonna somehow summon Hitler (Extreme) like this was Final Fantasy XIV, all the supermarket chains selling 88 cent cans of corn would have summoned him long ago.

30-50 = -20, 3-5 = -2

-20 mod 26 = 6 = F
-2 mod 26 = 24 = X

So it's actually code for FX. It's advertising for Disney.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Desiden posted:

Yeah, guns can be useful tools, but this whole "I have to have an armory because rural living" like the 30-50 boars meme is just absurd. I grew up in the country as well, and despite being able to hear coyotes sometimes from my bedroom window, the main animals I was taught to be careful about growing up were deer, possums, and snapping turtles. The latter two having a tendency to lurk around barns, sheds, and ponds and get really nasty if startled, and the former because they're stupid as gently caress and a major danger when driving or just being nearby if they get spooked by their own farts or whatever dumb poo poo.

Needless to say, AR-15s weren't a big part of dealing with those sorts of things. Hunting rifles were fine, if we used firearms at all. My dad, far from an enlightened soul, usually just told me to use a baseball bat to drive them out of the garage or barn. When a huge snapper came on to our property while we were kids, I remember he used a pitchfork to deal with it, because he could only find .22 ammo. The coyotes were mainly an issue for getting into garbage, though we suspect they did kill an outdoor cat of ours at one point.

Despite all that, I've seen people from my high school acting like we grew up in some sort of nature-Vietnam, any time gun control comes up. Most of the loudest were also, unsurprisingly, ones who actually lived in the nearby town and rarely, if ever, actually had to deal with any of this poo poo directly, at least on their own property.

Which is part of the latest narrative I find important to puncture. There's this persistent notion that "rural america" uniformly has to have guns and all the big city libruls just don't understand that they're a basic necessity. In reality, "rural America" has a fairly big chunk of it in towns with pest control of various sorts (albeit often the sheriffs office or some private exterminator) that has about as much need of rugged individualist gun wielders as the suburbs do. And even if you live outside a township, you're not carrying guns around everywhere for fear some wild animal is going to leap out of the bushes.

Same. My family were subsistence hunting for a chunk of my childhood. We've literally never needed anything faster than a bolt or lever action rifle. If you run into a coyote they teach us just to kick the poo poo out of it when it tries something. If it's something actually dangerous like a cougar wandering near town school goes on indoor recesses and animal control takes care of it.

Ive never seen an instance where the preferred intervention was untrained community members wandering the streets with semi-auto rifles. Like a bear hangs out in my grandmas yard. She's aware of it and just stays indoors when the bears around.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
30 hogs in 3 minutes is only 10 a minute, which is 1 every six seconds. Feral hogs probably only have 1 hit die. You don’t need a gun, you just need a fighter with a big enough sword. (They can swing their sword all day, people.)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

My grandfather was a farmer. He grew corn and soy beans in rural Illinois.

He HATED guns since he returned home from WWII and Korea; I don't think he owned one in his entire life.

Somehow he managed to survive without being overrun by feral hogs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

also the guns this dude probably loves are terrible for hunting. the rounds don't kill reliably or quickly, so what you end up with is a lot of unnecessary suffering for no good reason. if you know anything about hogs, guns or hunting his whole argument is ridiculous and he deserves to get mocked over it because he clearly doesn't know poo poo

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Serf posted:

Hug culls are typically done from helicopter, as well, rather than 'your porch, while your children watch.'

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Hug culls are typically done from helicopter, as well, rather than 'your porch, while your children watch.'

All areas need more hugs, not fewer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hug culls fire hugs from helicopter at rapid speeds.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Hug culls fire hugs from helicopter at rapid speeds.

I guess I don't need to go out and buy an Affection Rifle then!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Turns out you can hug your children with nuclear arms.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Apparently hog culls are having more trouble now because the survivors aren't stupid and they've learned what the sound of the rotors means, and scatter for deep cover.
Pigs are terrifying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Desiden posted:

Rattlers, deer, elk and feral cattle for me. Advice for them all was the same, "they're not gonna gently caress with you if you don't gently caress with them, just don't startle them and make sure they're not accidentally trapped." Occasionally we'd get word of a cougar spotted in the area, and I think there was one local incident once of a guy being attacked and fighting it off, but that's not something you walk around armed for just in case.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this wild hogs thing has all of you hosed up bad

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

this wild hogs thing has all of you hosed up bad

it was a bad movie

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MollyMetroid posted:

Apparently hog culls are having more trouble now because the survivors aren't stupid and they've learned what the sound of the rotors means, and scatter for deep cover.
Pigs are terrifying.

please show more respect towards the thin blue line

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So something popped up on the Legend Keeper Patreon.

Legend Keeper is an online world management system that integrates maps, text, characters...everything for regions down to individual buildings if you're that crazy. It went to closed beta a little while ago and it is really nicely done.

Braden, Designer of Legend Keeper, posted:

Earlier today, WorldAnvil announced a new feature that looked familiar to me. Per their announcement, they've been working on this feature for 2 weeks. Dimitris, the creator of WorldAnvil, gained private access to the LegendKeeper Closed Beta 2 weeks ago. I figured I would address this here. (The sidebar, in particular, is a pretty candid lift of LK's design, down to the palette choices for icons.)

I have to be honest: I was pretty bummed out when I saw this. It feels weird that a large player in the space would pay me to access my closed beta, and then turn around and use it to benefit their publically-released product.

As a competitor, I guess I could understand what drives a person to do this.

As a person, I thought we were better than this. It kinda feels like I'm in middle school again.

Both my designer (who created this design expression) and I are pretty disappointed in WorldAnvil and Dimitris' behavior. After I confronted him about it, Dmitris joined my Discord server, said a few untrue things in the public channel, and then messaged me privately and admitted he created designs directly based on the content he was allowed to view in the closed beta. He stated it non-apologetically, matter-of-factly, paid me lots of compliments and told me I was "probably just stressed right now".

Part of me just wants to let it go, but as an independent creator, I feel like I should stand up for myself and my designer. LegendKeeper frowns on this kind of blatant copying. If we were in 1.0, I'd brush it off, but these folks paid to access closed beta in order to use our designs. Something about that just makes me kinda queasy in my stomach.

So what are we going to do now? I've stated my piece; I just wanted people to know what happened. Now...We're just going to keep making. We're going to move forward, continuing in the same spirit of curiosity and kindness that we have been. We'll continue to develop a user-focused, empowering creative tool that I hope will inspire everyone to make things that they love.

We're proud to be creating something that inspires everyone, even our competitors. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I will say that the most specialized/questionable gun choice that has a legitimate need in some parts of rural living is the handgun and/or short barreled shotgun loaded up with bird shot for rattle snakes in the crawl space. Which is something I've only encountered in West Texas.