Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The gang phenomenon on popular levels is fascinating to me, like I've started trying to get into weird parts of levels just to see if a gang formed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Too Shy Guy posted:

The gang phenomenon on popular levels is fascinating to me, like I've started trying to get into weird parts of levels just to see if a gang formed there.

It was on like everything for awhile but seems to have died down a bit.

Now everyone is posting the lyrics to the Minecraft song instead.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

Here's another straightforward Mario level for the pile

Migration Patterns: KFJ-MW0-J8G
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1159168205669064704?s=20

This was a pretty rad course! I liked that some of the timings felt tight but not too punishing. Please excuse my "art", I'm trying to leave more comments in game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

People trying to talk to each other in Mario Maker comments is one of my favorite things.

I often wish I could reply to comments left on my levels and other times I wonder wtf some of them mean but this is next level trolling and I love it.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Almost all of my trending courses have "gang" comments. They are a pox unto Mario Maker.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Lobster posted:

I often wish I could reply to comments left on my levels and other times I wonder wtf some of them mean but this is next level trolling and I love it.

Someone in one of my courses put a comment that said "Softlocked :(". And the comment was left in a spot in the level where there is absolutely 100% no possible way the person could've gotten soft locked. If it's another part of the stage I have absolutely no idea where

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

This was fun, but I felt like the time limit was a little too tight combined with the moving platforms. It felt like if I made a wrong move and had to wait for a platform, I wouldn't be able to make it. I had a hard time getting enough coins and reach the goal fast enough. It was still fun to scramble around for coins, and I liked the multiple paths.

Thanks for the feedback! Outside of increasing the time and increasing the coins, is there anything that stood out as bad design? It seems like I'm getting a lot of boos on this one, but I don't know if it's the difficulty or if there's something egregious I'm missing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Besesoth posted:

Regarding this week's jam, submitted without comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgGgo56zqw

I feel like people might be having trouble with this theme. (Or maybe people are just busy this week.)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
For my latest jam entry, take the role of the villainous Mario Mario as he, not content with merely stealing Bowser's beloved princess, breaks into the First Koopa National Bank, robs it blind, and makes a clean getaway in a stolen car in:

The Bowser Bank Break-in
R6T-LC9-CJG

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 8, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alright I played a small handful of levels. I stayed in the +1000 range mostly just cause later made levels tend to be a bit better after learning some design stuff.

Top of the World By: TealShark

Just a good, solid level. Nothing to really say about it honestly! Felt like an actual Mario level. 4/5

Bowser's Carrier Fleet By: Straight White Shark

Not a bad level. Most of it is a pretty solid Mario level. However I thought the last section was a little cruel with just hoping you land on the boots correctly as well as it just feeling like a pretty blind jump. Also the little bonus section is neat but it's not super clear where I'm supposed to go after getting out of it. 3/5

Ghostnote By: alf_pogs

ANOTHER just solid Mario 3 level. This one was short and cute and I liked it, though I would've liked at least one mushroom. I managed to do it in one go, but accidently running into a ghost with no mushroom would've annoyed me a bit. 4/5

BONUS: You had some pretty good in-stage comments:

Jungle Vine Climb By: yrmr

Not bad. A bit messy near the end because there's just so many plants flying at you and not very much room to move around. That's on top of the spikes. You can cheese your final section by just jumping and killing the plants though to get to the flag pole, the box with the vine doesn't feel neccessary despite it clearly being set up as a "get on it before you miss it!' kind of thing. Lots of little bonus coins to collect. 4/5

Run like the wind [10s] By: Vlad3217

There wasn't really... anything to this level. I don't have any strong feelings about it in general tbh. 2/5

Global Warming By: adept nightingale

Makes u think. Makes u SLIP. I got the start and defeated global warming. 4/5

Swatting Bullets By: Pwnguin

This level was cute. I liked how you stuck to the theme. The last "puzzle" and one earlier in the level were kind of frustrating from a timing and hitting my head on the ceiling thing bust still cool. 4/5

Comfy World: Marios Conservancy By: Defenestration_Strategy

Cute level. I think there were way too many enemies at times but I get you were going for a wildlife thing. That being said, I was murdering the wildlife way more than Bowser Jr seemed to. 4/5

1022 Donut Desert By: mektarian

Cute level. Lots of fun little extra rooms. The donuts don't show up til the end of the stage though. 4/5

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 8, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Suspicious Cook posted:

For my latest jam entry, take the role of the villainous Mario Mario as he, not content with merely stealing Bowser's beloved princess, breaks into the First Koopa National Bank, robs it blind, and makes a clean getaway in a stolen car in:

The Bowser Bank Break-in
R6T-LC9-CJG

Played this as well. The parts with the Thwomps were a bit too tight, I kept getting squished in the little corners. the police chase though was :discourse: Do you end up in jail at the end or are those like, a sewer escape? 4/5

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

I made a new pixel perfect masochism level except this time in the sky...prepare to meet your doom in...

Fleet of Pain (30s)
W62-1VN-4XG

Something is very particular about this fleet. You have only 30 seconds!

Really digging the Super Mario Bros. Airship theme, feels really heavy and dark.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Ghostnote By: alf_pogs

ANOTHER just solid Mario 3 level. This one was short and cute and I liked it, though I would've liked at least one mushroom. I managed to do it in one go, but accidently running into a ghost with no mushroom would've annoyed me a bit. 4/5

BONUS: You had some pretty good in-stage comments:

thanks for the feedback! i originally had a mushroom in the block cluster near the start, and slightly more boos in the level, but it ended up feeling too crowded so i took it all out. probably over-exaggerated but it was for a blitz so didn't overthink it, and the pass rate is at about 30% so i'm pleased with that!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
HXB-D9S-MQG - Treasure in the Deep Dark Yonder

I wanted to make a water level that wasn't a drag and was fun to explore and play in. If nothing else, I think I made a really pretty level.

Use of Beetle Shell and Helmet makes water more fun in general. There's a true ending if you get and use the right keys and I also made the level speedrunnable once you learn the layout. I've watched someone play it now, and there's a couple of things I want to tweak and one softlock. I also didn't telegraph some things or teach mechanics like that you can move thwomps with the helmet on. I'm at the block limit for almost everything though so am mostly limited to adding arrows at this point. I think some players might not even think to go down into the "depths" using the pipes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
-

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 9, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

This was a pretty rad course! I liked that some of the timings felt tight but not too punishing. Please excuse my "art", I'm trying to leave more comments in game.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hand drawn art is the best.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

Do you end up in jail at the end or are those like, a sewer escape? 4/5

I envisioned it as a back alley hideout where you stash your loot, but I suppose it's open to interpretation.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey everyone! I'll be going live with some goon-made Mario Maker levels tonight at 7 PM PDT/10 PM EDT! Come on down and see some hot Mario action!

Link: https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

=Levels to be played, latest in thread=

1. Boos Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast LDK-D9B-YLF

2. Walk the Line
By: Movie Majick 1PX-WXW-2XG

3. Reflection
By: ThisIsACoolGuy 1WM-9SQ-0PG

4. Hunted by Microlites
By: Konstantin 576-JB9-NHF

5. Under False Pretenses
By: Rollersnake KRM-QMR-3RG

6. Lost Pyramids, Arise
By: Last Visible Dog KFJ-K2J-4FG

7. A tale of love and revenge
By: ThisIsACoolGuy YHB-RJK-TPG

8. Vine Time
By: Sam Faust 32B-K7T-5WG

9. Cloudboi's Course of no Remorse
By: Avirosb P5H-MS1-13G

10. The Bridge is Out
By: Besesoth 3NP-B3P-QHF

11. Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man
By: Ignite Memories 5FK-SJK-Q7G

12. Migration Patterns
By: Sam Faust KFJ-MW0-J8G

13. Snake Block Blues
By: The Lobster 9WC-Q86-LDF

14. The Bowser Bank Break-in
By: Suspicious Cook R6T-LC9-CJG

15. Fleet of Pain (30s)
By: Unsound Logic W62-1VN-4XG

16. Treasure in the Deep Dark Yonder
By: Khanstant HXB-D9S-MQG

=Random Acts of Mario=

17. Jungle Jinks (Jam week 1)
By: The Lobster 5YG-FPM-PMF

18. Wall Jump Slam Jam
By: Neekberm XGY-3W5-7MG

19. Simple CLassic Style
By: Cellular 7SC-RSH-4YG

20. Volcano Fortress 4KY-5G4-H0G
By: Rhythmancer

21. Very Wieldy
By: Wendell CHL-YJL-JDF

22. SMV 4-2: Cloudtop Kitchen
By: Darklich 3F5-GQY-BFG

23. Spooky Night, Holy Light
By: SamFausr (same as Sam Faust in thread?) 9CX-9Y1-WSG

24. Bowser's Illegal Fish Farm
By: Dizzywhip 6TX-116-CCG

25. Mario's Mad Moon Run
By: Cat Machine 2H8-KP6-8DG

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just to clarify, everyone who's posting levels in this thread are ALSO posting them in the spreadsheet, which will then be automatically used for RAoM, right? I keep taking screenshots of level codes to check out later (I check this thread while at work, away from my Switch), then I forget about them and just load up RAoM and play stuff there. Eventually, I will get through everything.

Exceptions are made for levels posted that really stick out to me and I play them ASAP.

Goddamnit, we need an official or unofficial bookmarking site tied to our Nintendo account and MM2 stats.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just to clarify, everyone who's posting levels in this thread are ALSO posting them in the spreadsheet, which will then be automatically used for RAoM, right? I keep taking screenshots of level codes to check out later (I check this thread while at work, away from my Switch), then I forget about them and just load up RAoM and play stuff there. Eventually, I will get through everything.

Exceptions are made for levels posted that really stick out to me and I play them ASAP.

Goddamnit, we need an official or unofficial bookmarking site tied to our Nintendo account and MM2 stats.

I think generally yest, people who post their levels in the thread post in RAoM. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if some levels posted in the thread weren't added to the spreadsheet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Personally after that one discussion a few days back I stopped adding my levels to the sheet until I catch up and can comment on stuff as it's being posted. I hit 950 on the sheet last night so it shouldn't take much longer, but it seemed unfair to dump my stuff here and never reciprocate, but also I play like 30 or so levels when I play and making commentary on each would cut down on how many I get through, and trying to remember specific details at this point for every level to do some sort of exhaustive feedback on everything I've touched is now impossible.

But then the only things I've made since that discussion (outside of one level which I did post in the thread) were remakes of levels I made in the first game that I did because I hooked up the Wii U just to check on the first game to see if a specific aspect of level creation behavior was the same in the sequel and figured why not? After going back through all my levels in the first game there were only 5 that I had any real fondness left for, I made some complete garbage in the first game, drat.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

OneMoreTime posted:

8. Vine Time
By: Sam Faust 32B-K7T-5WG

23. Spooky Night, Holy Light
By: SamFausr (same as Sam Faust in thread?) 9CX-9Y1-WSG

Yeah that's me. Sometimes, it's late at night and I want to put the level in and yeah... Fair warning though, that "Vine Time" is pretty hard and stressful, and in "Spooky Night, Holy Light" you need to try crouching which you might not know if you have comments off.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

Yeah that's me. Sometimes, it's late at night and I want to put the level in and yeah... Fair warning though, that "Vine Time" is pretty hard and stressful, and in "Spooky Night, Holy Light" you need to try crouching which you might not know if you have comments off.

I found out about the crouching thing probably 60% of the way through and felt like an absolute fool. It's a neat mechanic!

The honk effect is also great for levels with a lot of waiting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I found out about the crouching thing probably 60% of the way through and felt like an absolute fool. It's a neat mechanic!

I think that mechanic worked precisely because I didn't see it happen until about 2/3 of the way through the level after being slightly frustrated.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

The honk effect is also great for levels with a lot of waiting.

Honkings the best. I try to remember to put one on Mario in every level I make, unless I need something else specifically.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

It was a while back, but I appreciate you posting VODs of playing these levels. I greatly enjoyed watching you play mine.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Tykero posted:

It was a while back, but I appreciate you posting VODs of playing these levels. I greatly enjoyed watching you play mine.

Hey, it's no problem! I appreciate the follow in return :). Honestly streaming goon levels has been a ton of fun, I'm really glad to be doing it, and the audience I'm getting is pretty awesome as well.

And Faust: Good to know! I'll be crouching with the best. And I'm ok with difficult levels as long as I know that beforehand, so I'm willing to bang my head against that wall tonight.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Ok, I lied. I copied over one more course from SMM1 before putting the Wii U back into storage. I was pretty happy with the theming and little heres and theres.

Frozen Frigate
HNQ-8MQ-6GF

Explore an old ship stuck in the ice while dealing with overgrown plant life and ghosts. I really liked making compact little levels that weren't very hard :shobon:.

Maybe now I can work on some original stuff.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A few Random Acts of Mario:

Toxic Friendship by ThisIsACoolGuy
PMH-VKY-3VF

Super cool idea, got too annoyed by the spin jump spiny part to finish.

Depth Perception by Kirios
GSF-H39-RDG

Short, easy (by design), enjoyable.

SMV 2-3: Crystal Crevasse by DarkLich
XBW-KXL-MVF

Nice level with a consistent theme, could maybe use a little more time. I ended up dying partway through so I had plenty of time but I think it would have been tight otherwise.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Anybody have the level code for"1-1 but Mario needs to poop"?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Anybody have the level code for"1-1 but Mario needs to poop"?

PCP-3H3-3HG
:greenangel:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Just as a heads up for tonight's stream, it will be delayed by about 15 minutes or so as I have to talk to a friend about some career choices she's thinking about making.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thank you!

OneMoreTime posted:

Just as a heads up for tonight's stream, it will be delayed by about 15 minutes or so as I have to talk to a friend about some career choices she's thinking about making.

I'll be a bit late as I have to pick up dinner but I'm looking forward to it!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
-

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Making my way through the list using my own weird method:

Artix - Mining Melancholy - BVG-JB4-GQF
Pretty good chase level, kinda sparce on coins and a lot of the jumps were really awkward. Lots of bonking and getting momentum halted by hooks and failing to grab vines. It had all the elements of a good mario stage but all the movement felt a little unsatisfying.

Phantasium - Scorch Snake Fortress - SKG-0LX-Q6G
A nice challenge, just the right length for a snake block course. Boss fight was a little weird though, not sure how it was supposed to go, might've had more success if you dropped the player into the middle of it instead of one side where they can choose to keep only certain elements loaded.

Udenpah - Low Gravity POW-chick-a-wow-wow - Y00-JWP-PWF
First clear suckas! And not a huge surprise that it was, its got a 0.29 clear rate now. Its not the most unforgiving place to learn POW drops, but still, phew. Also, that bombomb puzzle at the end was a little touchy, bombs kept somehow nicking the very corner of the block instead of walking off.

The Lobster - Briny Dunes - PQ9-BF5-KJG
A relaxing jaunt compared to the last level. The semisolids facing every which way gives it a very distinctive look. This was a blitz level right? Feels like a blitz level.

Crass Casualty - A Spooky Maze - GQ7-L65-D0H
A nice sprawling level to jump around in, enjoyed it a lot. That being said, I'd be careful making these long red coin levels that have obstacles after you find the key, considering you can die and have to start way back at the beginning again.

Rhythmancer - Volcano Fortress - 4KY-5G4-H0G
Neat little castle stage, well considered use of the rising lava, incredible amounts of alternate pathways.

Crass Casualty - The Bunny Slope - TD3-0NW-LLG
So much for sliding when there are huge spike blocks everywhere. Fun, tho, you just have to go a little slower.

Straight White Shark - Kid Marius: Angel Land Story - NTC-2YG-3NG
A pretty good copy of the original kid icarus aesthetic. I think. I mean I haven't played it but this is how I imagine it is.

Crass Casualty - The House of Leaves - 9GG-H0G-F6G
I've never read the book but my roommate gushed about it all the time. At any rate, very disorienting level, not bad or even hard, really, just claustrophobic and mazey.

The Lobster - Frozen - Let It Go - N97-2BC-0FG
I played and beat this level.

Alrighty, 10 levels from the list down, I'm also going to go ahead and throw my new level onto the thread R E D P3X-XMS-7RF Its a weird one tho, so look out.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

OneMoreTime posted:

God damnit

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Plebian Parasite posted:

The Lobster - Briny Dunes - PQ9-BF5-KJG
A relaxing jaunt compared to the last level. The semisolids facing every which way gives it a very distinctive look. This was a blitz level right? Feels like a blitz level.

The Lobster - Frozen - Let It Go - N97-2BC-0FG
I played and beat this level.

It's been a while since I made it, but yes, I think it was a personal blitz. Glad you liked it.

As for the Frozen level - what can I say except you're welcome? Oh, wait, that's a different movie. My bad.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

heeheex2 posted:

God damnit

Just starting at 7:15 PDT, so it should be a mild delay at best!

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 9, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OneMoreTime posted:

Just starting at 7:15, so it should be a mild delay at best!

Did you already start? It's 8:30. I didn't see the link.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Wiggler Waters - KCP-D4H-H3G - Boy, is that 8-bit forest tune funky.

Jumble Jungle - KHK-RF6-VPG I made another vertical stage even though I didn't mean to. Please understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

The Lobster posted:

Did you already start? It's 8:30. I didn't see the link.

7:15 PDT. Edited post to reflect this! Darn Pacific timezone.