Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Thronde posted:

Wasn't there no one actively on the bridge of the Alric and it was autopilot? That would make VHF and warning the other vessel kinda moot.

Uh, what FV said. Basically you're so far off you should just be reading any of the reports issued before talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Plus a destroyer can by ship standards stop on a dime.

loving nuts that a cargo ship with a Skelton crew had better situation than a billion dollar sensor suite and over staffed bridge crew and TOC

That tanker didn’t have a skeleton crew, if anything it was on the big-crew side.

Skeleton crew is around 8-12 people for a cargo ship.

We had a breakdown of the different level of training merchant marine OOW and US Navy SWO get before they’re allowed on a bridge and it didn’t even compare. It’s somewhere ITT around the time of the collision IIRC.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

FrozenVent posted:

That tanker didn’t have a skeleton crew, if anything it was on the big-crew side.

Skeleton crew is around 8-12 people for a cargo ship.

We had a breakdown of the different level of training merchant marine OOW and US Navy SWO get before they’re allowed on a bridge and it didn’t even compare. It’s somewhere ITT around the time of the collision IIRC.

What I mean to say is the bridge crew on the cargo ship would be considered completely and recklessly inadequate by Navy standards and have a tiny fraction of the sensor capabilities of the destroyer yet the cargo ship had a far better grasp of the situation.

Also yeah SWO training is a loving joke. I don't understand why SWOs aren't required to be certified like Merchant Mariners, most don't even seem to have basic Mariner poo poo like how light configurations tell you about a ships relative bearing or whatnot down.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Is there a sub-specific Navy thread, or would it just fall under this one? Was hoping to read stories from Navy goons about life on subs.

Look up the script of The Hunt for Red October and read it while in a bathtub reenacting scenes with toy submarines. If you have a male friend, have him stand over your shoulder naked.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Isn't the smaller ship supposed to give way for the larger ship anyways? You shouldn't be moving in a shipping channel like you're driving home on the freeway.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

orange juche posted:

Isn't the smaller ship supposed to give way for the larger ship anyways

No.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

orange juche posted:

Isn't the smaller ship supposed to give way for the larger ship anyways? You shouldn't be moving in a shipping channel like you're driving home on the freeway.

I'm pretty sure this is defined by the ColRegs, everything changes due to context. A tug pulling a load restricted by a channel is in a different situation that a sailboat out for a cruise but everyone is responsible in doing their best to avoid a collision, no matter who is the give way vessel.

Edit: Just to clarify this is not to imply the Alnic was at fault. It's why they did almost everything to prevent the collision.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 7, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There’s no interpretation of the colregs where the McCain wasn’t the five-way vessel and while the Alnic didn’t take all possible actions to avoid a collision (they didn’t crash stop), the NTSB makes it very clear there was nothing they could have done, unless they’d somehow knew of the McCain’s steering troubles as soon as they happened.

Again, the report makes this very clear and is a short read.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

The Alnic has the master, who had the conn, the OOW and two lookouts. The vessel was on auto pilot but that’s standard for cargo vessels since it frees up another person for lookout.

One of the lookout felt ill and went below deck sometime prior the accident and had not returned to the bridge until after the collision.

They saw the McCain turn and assumed he was trying to cut ahead of them, because... warship. They’re sporty. If their AIS had been transmitting they might have tried to call them, but as it was they’d later end up calling for “Navy ship” on sixteen, which... lol.

When he saw that the McCain wouldn’t make it, the captain reduced speed to half ahead, but the ship being a two stroke fixed pitch direct drive... yeah. If they’d crash stopped, it probably wouldn’t have made much of a difference at that point, the shaft reached half ahead 14 seconds before the accident.

It’s all in the report.

This one is 100% on the navy, sorry.

Ah, okay, that makes more sense. I just recalled reading the initial reports making it sound like Alnic had no one on the bridge. Yeah, totally Navy's fault.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Thronde, you might be thinking of the Fitz case. The Cyrstal didn't have a lot of people on the bridge (maybe 1, which isn't uncommon) when we steered in front of them. The Master claimed that they were flashing lights at us, but I think that was just to try and cover his rear end.

I'm reading through the report now, and while some of the information is new (that this occurred over a 3 minute period) a lot of it corresponds to what I'd heard and known about the situation. It's still frustrating to know that this didn't have to happen, and that had the CO taken a different approach (not split the helm and other items) we likely wouldn't have lost 10 more sailors that summer.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Valley Stared posted:

Thronde, you might be thinking of the Fitz case. The Cyrstal didn't have a lot of people on the bridge (maybe 1, which isn't uncommon) when we steered in front of them. The Master claimed that they were flashing lights at us, but I think that was just to try and cover his rear end.

I'm reading through the report now, and while some of the information is new (that this occurred over a 3 minute period) a lot of it corresponds to what I'd heard and known about the situation. It's still frustrating to know that this didn't have to happen, and that had the CO taken a different approach (not split the helm and other items) we likely wouldn't have lost 10 more sailors that summer.

You're right, I was, my mistake.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'm 30 days out from detaching from FC A school and heading back to the fleet.

Last night we secured the student smoke deck. Chief is willing to keep it secured until the sun burns out or we get the name of the student who was vaping in ranks during march out the night before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:chiefsay: keeping the petty in petty officer.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Day 2 of the students smoke deck secured until the Vapist identifies themself: a student is turned in by classmates for camping in the student loung, lmfao god damnit 29 days and counting.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
just ban all tobacco products along with the hemp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My favorite part about this situation is that a :chiefsay: is so pissed about someone hitting a juul while marching as if marching in formation is a time honored navy tradition that we do every day.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Our new temporary :chiefsay: while our actual Chief is TAD on a deployment has literally attempted to deny every. single. solitary. leave chit that passes through her greasy weeaboo hands. The reasons are variable, but are frequently wrong (person at the command longer than her is somehow still on orientation!), nonsensical(E2 hasn't completed PO indoc) or incredibly petty (some random form or task she told nobody about hasn't been done). Our final approver just ignores her at his point, and everyone after her seems to love to annotate corrections to why all her reasons are wrong now lol.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I'm heading out to Naples in a few days for AT, and not a single soul at my unit has returned any calls or emails I've sent over the last two weeks regarding where the gently caress I go once I show up.

🤷‍♂️

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm heading out to Naples in a few days for AT, and not a single soul at my unit has returned any calls or emails I've sent over the last two weeks regarding where the gently caress I go once I show up.

🤷‍♂️

Hey I’ll be there on orders all of next year there. Would love some up to date info on what’s there once you get back.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey I’ll be there on orders all of next year there. Would love some up to date info on what’s there once you get back.

Are you not becoming a salty Sailor?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Still going to that aluminum thing?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Day 2 of the students smoke deck secured until the Vapist identifies themself: a student is turned in by classmates for camping in the student loung, lmfao god damnit 29 days and counting.

You need to punish all the snitches too

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

Still going to that aluminum thing?

Yes. Orders in hand and medical complete.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes. Orders in hand and medical complete.

Nice I think I have some classmates in the engine room on that one, the people who went msc seem weirdly happy about their careers vs the guys sailing commercial, despite all logic

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

Nice I think I have some classmates in the engine room on that one, the people who went msc seem weirdly happy about their careers vs the guys sailing commercial, despite all logic

Well that’s good to hear it has a happy crew. It being so small I’m sure it hard to avoid people.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

At Capo or Support?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

At Capo or Support?

On a USNS ship based in Naples. That’s pretty much all I know besides it moves around a bunch.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Guys I knew that did med USNS like it as long as you make a point to actually see poo poo when you can. Find all the cool little hole-in-the-wall spots around Rota, Sigonella, and Souda. Fwiw I did 11mo 6F BMD so we hit Souda all the time and I never got tired of Xania.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Guys I knew that did med USNS like it as long as you make a point to actually see poo poo when you can. Find all the cool little hole-in-the-wall spots around Rota, Sigonella, and Souda. Fwiw I did 11mo 6F BMD so we hit Souda all the time and I never got tired of Xania.

Yeah I’m old as gently caress and every time I get sent anywhere I’m constantly seeking out stuff to see and visit. Don’t got time for bars or sitting in my quarters playing video games.

Souda looks amazing.

Welcome to the forums btw. Nice to see new people or are your a rereg?

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Thanks, new to the forums yeah. Wife’s had an account forever and recently managed to talk me into one.

Granted not sure how long y’all would be in port at a time, but Crete also had some cool hiking scenes that some people took advantage of. Think some went to some of the old Minoan temples and all.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, new to the forums yeah. Wife’s had an account forever and recently managed to talk me into one.

Granted not sure how long y’all would be in port at a time, but Crete also had some cool hiking scenes that some people took advantage of. Think some went to some of the old Minoan temples and all.

Holy poo poo, a new Gipper. Welcome to GiP, glad you joined us. I take it from your posts your a Navy guy?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NEW BLOOD

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Synopsis is: Navy, former SWO, current EDO

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Synopsis is: Navy, former SWO, current EDO

Goddamn another noble.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Goddamn another noble.

heh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hang all nobles

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

PneumonicBook posted:

Goddamn another noble.

Does it make it any better that most the folks on my ships had a hard time believing I wasn’t a prior because I wasn’t like the academy dipshits and really took care of my folks ? :)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Does it make it any better that most the folks on my ships had a hard time believing I wasn’t a prior because I wasn’t like the academy dipshits and really took care of my folks ? :)

orange juche posted:

Hang all nobles

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I swear I haven’t met a single prior enlisted officer that was worth a poo poo. It’s like they’re all the worst parts of officers and enlisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

we've gotta be careful we don't scare the new guy off though