Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Very interesting episode, I was surprised that they got an hour and a half out of something that seemed relatively straightforward. I think Dave was projecting a lot on the "Workers/labor are trying to find ways to screw themselves" angle, though, as that seemed beyond the scope of what Rhinehart was consciously doing. What I heard was the story of a mentally ill (if not "ill" then, at the very least, "unwell") man who monetized his idiosyncrasies in an environment where venture capitalists are willing to gamble millions on just about any wild idea that comes along as long as it has the veneer of advanced science ("This man - who is not a nutritionist - skimmed a textbook and has identified the key nutrients the human body needs! This is groundbreaking!")

I bought a sample pack of Soylent from Amazon a while back, after the real VC money had come in and they introduced flavors beyond "nutrient paste." As an occasional breakfast/lunch replacement - It's fine? But why anybody would willingly want to live off of it is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

cohsae posted:

There was an episode of QAnonAnonymous digging into the history of Scott Adams. It's pretty incredible.

Also the UK run HAS to include a Churchill episode. Hopefully Thatcher too.

From the length of her run in office and from what people have said about her, I feel like Thatcher would have to be multi-part. Too much to cover in 90 minutes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm slightly sympathetic to the soylent guy, because it does seem like he's genuinely trying to solve the problem of eating healthy on a tight budget. Of course, he fails to identify capitalism as the root problem, and consequently does not realize the implications of his terrible solution, i.e. if cheap synthetic food were to become a widespread thing it would simply be shoveled off to the have-nots and rich people would continue eating gold-plated ortolan.

Also, the poo poo tastes like salt and glue. What a joyless experience.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

What I heard was the story of a mentally ill (if not "ill" then, at the very least, "unwell") man
Is "is an engineer" a mental illness? The guy took it to the extreme but "using your digestive system to break food into nutrients is inefficient, let's engineer a solution" is. . . very much in line with the mindset of multiple engineers I've known.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
And all of them have a problem

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You're not supposed to re engineer something that isn't a problem that's a big rear end problem

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I just love that he entered food prep / production with all the enthusiasm and recklessness any "innovator" does anything.

Not like it's a highly regulated industry with a lot of expertise and experience available or anything. Just start making your protein slurry in dusty, rat infested vats and sell sell sell, you can recall it when people get sick. Move fast break things dolla dolla

Serf
May 5, 2011

soylent guy is somewhere between super dumb and evil. actual evil people have been suggesting that food stamps only be allotted to some sort of soylent-like product for a while now, and honestly as the ecological collapse gets closer and the resource wars heat up, putting the poor on a nutrient mush diet is going to be the first step before they just grind us all up

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Soylent definitely ties in with the current obsession with life hacks. As we're all being slowly ground into dust by the hell world we're in we're told that our only way we deserve get ahead is if we maximise our efficiency 24/7 so that every ounce of what we have to give can be extracted. Timed bathroom breaks, "side hustles". Now you've got some freak telling us that we shouldn't even be able to have time to enjoy food. Absolutely psychotic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thanks a lot for all this dick dorkins

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
God I hate the phrase side hustle. Any cutesying up of despicable poo poo gets my blood boiling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
soylent sounds like something i would feed my gecko Blazko. its basically powdered gecko food but for people.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Dave cover the whole “soylent was contaminated with nearly toxic levels of heavy metals during the early days due to bad sourcing of ingredients” aspect? I was waiting for that and I don’t think it came.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

Did Dave cover the whole “soylent was contaminated with nearly toxic levels of heavy metals during the early days due to bad sourcing of ingredients” aspect? I was waiting for that and I don’t think it came.

tbh they could make a whole smollop dedicated to just soylent's many safety fuckups

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Baller Ina posted:

God I hate the phrase side hustle. Any cutesying up of despicable poo poo gets my blood boiling.

There's a podcast was advertised a lot a month or two ago called "Side Hustle" (I think, it was something like that). From the ads it sounded like the podcast was just "let's glorify side hustles everyone wants a side hustle everyone needs a side hustle gently caress YEAH SIDE HUSTLES WHO NEEDS FREE TIME" and it made me want to die a little

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hate share economy and gig economy. But at least gig economy is an honest description.

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
I love it when the Dollop and The F-Plus meet.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a new Dollop England podcast, It starts off light and ends dark. So, you know, a regular Dollop save for being in Britain.

http://dollopengland.libsyn.com/

Edit: Dave said sometimes the stories will be England, sometimes UK. Given that, I'm assuming he's using England as a generic referral to the British Isles because gently caress it.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 15, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RandomPauI posted:

There's a new Dollop England podcast, It starts off light and ends dark. So, you know, a regular Dollop save for being in Britain.

http://dollopengland.libsyn.com/

Edit: Dave said sometimes the stories will be England, sometimes UK. Given that, I'm assuming he's using England as a generic referral to the British Isles because gently caress it.

It's a separate podcast?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It is seperate, but I don't know if it'll last as a separate podcast if it keeps not showing up on any of the podcast searches.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why do it separate? There's already a bunch of Australian ones in the regular dollop feed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a clue.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Had no idea they were separate. Thats... not the best approach.

Does anyone have the rss, because my pod thing of choice can't find the feed.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 15, 2019

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

stealie72 posted:

Had no idea they were separate. Thats... not the best approach.

Does anyone have the rss, because my pod thing of choice can't find the feed.

http://dollopengland.libsyn.com/rss

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
what a really stupid idea to seperate them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
supposedly it's a run of only 10 episodes/Dave has plans for 400

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Duh. Thank you.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I hope people are complaining to Dave on Twitter.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If you're using the apple app, search for "dollopengland" no spaces.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

So these aren't the upcoming tour/live episodes from the UK, this is just a concurrently running regular podcast covering the UK?

I'm super hyped for more Dollop and particular UK-themed episodes, but it does seem really odd to put it in a separate feed. =S

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

thotsky posted:

I hope people are complaining to Dave on Twitter.

doubt it, he got banned

also, what a stupid idea

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
No, it's funny.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope people are mailing Dave handwritten letters to complain about the two feeds

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

mike12345 posted:

doubt it, he got banned

also, what a stupid idea

lol, I haven't been on twitter for a few weeks. what did he finally get banned for?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Unfinish3d posted:

lol, I haven't been on twitter for a few weeks. what did he finally get banned for?

he deleted it and now its protected

he got really mad when they pointed out that we just can't switch to EVs without massive infrastructure improvements because you're going to massively gently caress over the poor and the people who can't afford or don't live in areas allowing for personal recharging stations

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 18, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what a bizarre reason to lock your account. i saw he'd done it and i was thinking one of his tweets made the chud rounds and he didn't want his menchies turning to poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

what a bizarre reason to lock your account. i saw he'd done it and i was thinking one of his tweets made the chud rounds and he didn't want his menchies turning to poo poo.

dave's comedy album is called "hothead"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

dave's autobiographical comedy album is called "hothead"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dave goes back and forth making his account private. He’s a strange dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

He had some pretty telling stories on this podcast like how he was a literal sociopath but here’s one

https://youtu.be/gKXwnaNxvgE