Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Meh all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
3 months, 21 days until retirement.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

we've gotta be careful we don't scare the new guy off though

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Does it make it any better that most the folks on my ships had a hard time believing I wasn’t a prior because I wasn’t like the academy dipshits and really took care of my folks ? :)

Fight me

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I mean fwiw i was the one that the vbss chiefs were impressed by soaking up all the OC straight to the eyes without reacting, and then when we did poo poo like CQB laid all the MAs and boarding folks on their asses because i went to quantico once upon a time before newport

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
But, because of stupid poo poo like prd i never got to be a boarding officer despite being a better marksman than any member and being better versed in fireteam tactics and then by the way better in CQB than any of them... alas actual tactical performance is sacrificed to administrative checklists

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
This is the Navy thread, idiots thread is over that-a-way

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

But, because of stupid poo poo like prd i never got to be a boarding officer despite being a better marksman than any member and being better versed in fireteam tactics and then by the way better in CQB than any of them... alas actual tactical performance is sacrificed to administrative checklists

Honestly I’d be worried if checkbox bullshit in the Navy took a backseat to literally anything else especially mission accomplishment.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is that the Navy version of Star-Trek where all the senior officers beam down for away missions?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If by “beam” you mean leave and by “down” you mean “to home” ship weekend working parties qualify.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

better versed in fireteam tactics

*cracks knuckles*

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/08/07/dog-poop-booze-and-a-slap-alleged-cpo-initiation-hazing-under-investigation/

Lol...

“All chief petty officer initiation activities are suspended at Afloat Training Group Pacific Northwest while investigators probe whether selectees were forced to do push-ups in a base housing backyard possibly strewn with dog feces, according to an incident report provided to Navy Times.

Labeled “CPO SEASON INCIDENT,” the report indicates that the alleged hazing occurred around 8 p.m. Sunday at a residence in Lake Stevens, Washington, about 10 miles east of Naval Station Everett.

No names are listed in the report, but the suspected offender is described as a male 38-year-old chief petty officer and one of his alleged victims is a male petty officer first class who is three years younger.

According to the incident report, four chief selectees were at the chief’s residence when he directed them into push-up positions “where dog feces may have been present.” The chief also allegedly slapped one of the selectees.

In the block for alcohol/drugs, the form reads “YES.”

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fuckin lol

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Thats odd, I thought someone just said this wasn't the idiots thread...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SerthVarnee posted:

Thats odd, I thought someone just said this wasn't the idiots thread...

It's an idiots thread.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All GiP threads are technically idiots threads. Because they’re either by goons dumb enough to join the military, or anyone dumb enough to join in our idiocy sans military service.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Man why couldn't this have happened when I still lived in that neighborhood!

Dingleberry posted:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/08/07/dog-poop-booze-and-a-slap-alleged-cpo-initiation-hazing-under-investigation/

Lol...

“All chief petty officer initiation activities are suspended at Afloat Training Group Pacific Northwest while investigators probe whether selectees were forced to do push-ups in a base housing backyard possibly strewn with dog feces, according to an incident report provided to Navy Times.

Labeled “CPO SEASON INCIDENT,” the report indicates that the alleged hazing occurred around 8 p.m. Sunday at a residence in Lake Stevens, Washington, about 10 miles east of Naval Station Everett.

No names are listed in the report, but the suspected offender is described as a male 38-year-old chief petty officer and one of his alleged victims is a male petty officer first class who is three years younger.

According to the incident report, four chief selectees were at the chief’s residence when he directed them into push-up positions “where dog feces may have been present.” The chief also allegedly slapped one of the selectees.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Now I know you're full of poo poo because everyone knows SWOs know gently caress all about tactics or anything tactical. I'm sure your 3M skills are second to none though. :smugdog:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

vulturesrow posted:

Now I know you're full of poo poo because everyone knows SWOs know gently caress all about tactics or anything tactical. I'm sure your 3M skills are second to none though. :smugdog:

Wait he’s a SWO? I thought he was like an FMF HM or something.

Lmao are Fireteam tactics a class at USNA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

He swears he's not a ring knocker from Annapolis or wherever though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My head cannon is that our SWOperator graduated from here: http://www.threatmanagementcenter.com

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Uh, lots of nope nope nope. OCS, none of that USNA crap. Fun fact though if you do PLC ( in case google breaks when ya search quantico... ikr soooo hard...) with a broke neck theres a good chance you get disqual’ed come TBS time and end up Navy OCS after all

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dingleberry posted:

Lol...

Lol. I can smell the skull sticker and dog poo poo from here. ARI and mast his dumb rear end.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You know loving well he'll have no real repercussions for this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Uh, lots of nope nope nope. OCS, none of that USNA crap. Fun fact though if you do PLC ( in case google breaks when ya search quantico... ikr soooo hard...) with a broke neck theres a good chance you get disqual’ed come TBS time and end up Navy OCS after all

Ah so you are a washout jarhead. You make a lot more sense, now.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ah so you are a washout jarhead. You make a lot more sense, now.

Sure sure. Ok w/e, grats on insightful assessments there

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Hi and welcome to the Navy thread.

Apparently we hate new people.

Maybe everyone is just trying to make it feel more SWO-y up in here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, I mean I was a swo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Being an EDO seems chill af, though. Everyone I knew that went SWO/EDO loved it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The EDOs I've worked with were really great professionals but they weren't SWO too.

Re: cpo hazing: just popping in to drop off my weekly 'gently caress the cpo mess'. There are some really good cpos out there and some really bad ones but I feel like the cpo mess as a concept hurts sailors.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!
Does anyone have recommendations regarding where to live up in Whidbey Island? I’m a helo pilot who spent his first fleet tour in Norfolk but ended up getting selected for a VAQ transition. I’ve heard good things about both Oak Harbor and Anacortes but the latter seems way more expensive for what you get.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

We have more in common than you think, I was an BUD/S dud. I know how you feel looking at grey every day when all you wanted to do was shoot, be miserable in the woods and hang with the boys/gals.

Still being an O requires you to get an extra heaping of poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

We have more in common than you think, I was an BUD/S dud. I know how you feel looking at grey every day when all you wanted to do was shoot, be miserable in the woods and hang with the boys/gals.

Still being an O requires you to get an extra heaping of poo poo.

It’s all good as long as he doesn’t complain about mypay.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Weird, chief gently caress gently caress games led to a hazing incident. Color me shocked.

I work with EDOs a lot in the yard, some are alright, some are EXCEPTIONALLY bad. Like everyone else I suppose.

Where are you doing your EDO tour at?

Alsobyea, maybe we're being to hazey on the new guy.

Perhaps we were the dumb gently caress gently caress chiefs all along...

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sure sure. Ok w/e, grats on insightful assessments there

Welcome new guy. I am an soon to be retired jarhead who is almost fat enough to pass for a Chief. I spent 3 years on an LPD so that pretty much makes me an honorary shipmate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Welcome new guy. I am an soon to be retired jarhead who is almost fat enough to pass for a Chief. I spent 3 years on an LPD so that pretty much makes me an honorary shipmate.

“Almost”?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TidePods4Lunch posted:

Does anyone have recommendations regarding where to live up in Whidbey Island? I’m a helo pilot who spent his first fleet tour in Norfolk but ended up getting selected for a VAQ transition. I’ve heard good things about both Oak Harbor and Anacortes but the latter seems way more expensive for what you get.

Depends on if you're looking to buy or rent. Oak Harbor is a bit cheaper but pickings can be slim. Anacortes is nice, but like tou said its a more expensive and your main commute is over Deception Pass, is not always bad but if theres a traffic snarl good luck.

I live down in Coupeville, its a 20 minute drive to base which isnt bad, only downside is the jet OLF near the house.

If you're renting with buddies, as a heads up since it happened to my group, quite a few rentals wont do group rent. We had problems finding a place that would do that and allow pets (usually it was one or another). Its a sellers market on the island so home prices are definitely a bit high, but if you're looking to stay for awhile there (VAQ is just Whidbey if I remember right) it might not be a bad way to go.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

“Almost”?

Fair enough... to be fair though, I can still run a decent PFT. I am just old and enjoy food too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm 35 and almost in the best shape of my life post hip surgery. I'm lifting weights again, weigh less than I did before I joined the navy, and my abs are almost back.

It's primarily because I don't drink, but the 3x/week weightlifting/running is doing wonders as well.