Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OneMoreTime posted:

7:15 PDT. Edited post to reflect this! Darn Pacific timezone.

Aha!

Curse this round orb we live upon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Well folks... my buddy bought a copy of Fire Emblem and i just bought Persona 3 as well... hello time sinks. I’m not sure when I’ll be back to making levels myself but I will try to stop in on weekends to do more random acts of Mario reviews.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod we are live

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1159683302627799041

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

could somebody replace my level code on the goon spreadsheet with the new code?

5T3-DR1-QHF
Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ignite Memories posted:

could somebody replace my level code on the goon spreadsheet with the new code?

5T3-DR1-QHF
Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man

Yeah, done.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

you know what I would love in this game? The ability to make this play during an underground level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q14EBY_Fng

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Think 'city' from Donkey Kong '94, except new rooms

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And that's the stream! Another great stream tonight, I will be setting back the time of my streams to 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT from now on given some feedback, but otherwise this was good.

Please drop a follow if you haven't already, otherwise I hope you catch my next stream on Tuesday!

Vod: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/464586139

1. Boos Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast LDK-D9B-YLF

2. Walk the Line
By: Movie Majick 1PX-WXW-2XG

3. Reflection
By: ThisIsACoolGuy 1WM-9SQ-0PG

4. Hunted by Microlites
By: Konstantin 576-JB9-NHF

5. Under False Pretenses
By: Rollersnake KRM-QMR-3RG

6. Lost Pyramids, Arise
By: Last Visible Dog KFJ-K2J-4FG

7. A tale of love and revenge
By: ThisIsACoolGuy YHB-RJK-TPG

8. Vine Time
By: Sam Faust 32B-K7T-5WG

9. Cloudboi's Course of no Remorse
By: Avirosb P5H-MS1-13G

10. The Bridge is Out
By: Besesoth 3NP-B3P-QHF

11. Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man
By: Ignite Memories 5FK-SJK-Q7G

12. Migration Patterns
By: Sam Faust KFJ-MW0-J8G

13. Snake Block Blues
By: The Lobster 9WC-Q86-LDF

14. The Bowser Bank Break-in
By: Suspicious Cook R6T-LC9-CJG

15. Fleet of Pain (30s)
By: Unsound Logic W62-1VN-4XG

16. Treasure in the Deep Dark Yonder
By: Khanstant HXB-D9S-MQG

=Random Acts of Mario=

17. Jungle Jinks (Jam week 1)
By: The Lobster 5YG-FPM-PMF

18. Wall Jump Slam Jam
By: Neekberm XGY-3W5-7MG

19. Simple CLassic Style
By: Cellular 7SC-RSH-4YG

20. Volcano Fortress 4KY-5G4-H0G
By: Rhythmancer

21. Very Wieldy
By: Wendell CHL-YJL-JDF

22. SMV 4-2: Cloudtop Kitchen
By: Darklich 3F5-GQY-BFG

23. Spooky Night, Holy Light
By: SamFausr (same as Sam Faust in thread?) 9CX-9Y1-WSG

24. Bowser's Illegal Fish Farm
By: Dizzywhip 6TX-116-CCG

25. Mario's Mad Moon Run
By: Cat Machine 2H8-KP6-8DG

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Think I might skip this week's jam. I've tried a bunch of different level ideas over the week and none of them have really stuck with me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
New level up:

Cloud Nine
CB2-454-62H

An auto-scrolling sky level, just like Mom used to make.

I don't think it's very hard, but I know auto-scrolling will always be hard for beginners, so I tried not to make the actual platforming too tough. My wife got about 3/4 of the way through it before declaring herself too tense to continue, so hopefully I've hit a good balance point. There is a secret or two, and you could get out of this level with +4 lives if you find everything.

EDIT: Some rando played it once, died, and Booed it :mad:

guppy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 9, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Think I might skip this week's jam. I've tried a bunch of different level ideas over the week and none of them have really stuck with me.

I have one in progress but I don’t know if I’ll get it done today. Only having weeknights to work with is getting to be too demanding.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm still hoping for super hero themes, but now I'm thinking about week knights

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

J-Spot posted:

I have one in progress but I don’t know if I’ll get it done today. Only having weeknights to work with is getting to be too demanding.

Would it be better if Jams and Blitzes switched places?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

Would it be better if Jams and Blitzes switched places?

If other people think so maybe but don’t do that on my account. I wouldn’t really want to cram it all in two days either.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/tafitafy/status/1159730985174388736

Please enjoy this amazing multiplayer stage

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I normally enjoy trying to replicate other games in Mario Maker (Mega Man, Zelda II, Mario 2, etc), but I switched it up and made something different:

Climbing The Big Tree
PKF-TMD-RMF

Help Mario climb to the top of the tallest tree ever! Then leap from the top and end it, once and for all!

Vertical, mini platforming puzzles, not too challenging

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Uploaded this one a couple nights ago, but my internet's been down. I'm still on that traditional stage kick—now all I need to make is a level that feels like Something-1 and I'll have a world.

Also, re: my clear time—I only intentionally designed about half the stage to be speedrun-friendly, but I found during my upload clear that you can speedrun the whole thing if you're ridiculously precise. I don't think I could do it again if I tried.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

J-Spot posted:

the first section that has you jumping over big thwomps on a single-tile moving platform is probably going to be enough to drag it into expert if you get enough plays from randoms. The second half is quite a bit easier though.

Well that I did not think of.
It's easier if you hit the ? block, then you get a vine. That's why I put those spikes there.
I suppose I could have put a vine somewhere as an indicator but I just assumed people would hit the block. Guess I was wrong.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Random Acts of Mario:

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship by Dorian Gravy
H0T-H7J-XSG

This was lovely. What's the point of the key door?

Garish Gates by Random Stranger
KQG-DT7-HHF

I wasn't into this one, it mostly tries to take the clear condition from you by just throwing a ton of enemies at you. Sometimes you get to a point where you aren't dead but can't safely proceed. I actually soft-locked myself trying to get a flower so I could proceed.

Jungle Vine Climb by yrmr
5MR-4MX-F5G

Great theme, very clever to signpost the enemy like that

Goombalash Commune by Stairmaster
C3Q-JFK-VSF

I am puzzled by the idea of an airship-based commune, but I had fun with this. Some of the timing on the jumps off of enemies could maybe have used a bit of tweaking to make the timing more elegant.

Mario's Cat Condo by Ohtsam
M72-G51-WVF

I almost didn't play this because of the "Auto" tag on RAoM, I thought it was one of those levels that played itself. Fun, short.

Vogon Constructor Fleet by gpope
CX5-9RH-HQF

Great theme!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

Phantasium - Scorch Snake Fortress - SKG-0LX-Q6G
A nice challenge, just the right length for a snake block course. Boss fight was a little weird though, not sure how it was supposed to go, might've had more success if you dropped the player into the middle of it instead of one side where they can choose to keep only certain elements loaded.

Yeah idk, I was trying to do something else and what was left was just some simple little thing I left in frustration.

Still upset that I couldn't think of a natural way to remove the flying spinies at the checkpoint other than to give you a door to reset the room.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Alright, I'm declaring this jam level done:

Snow Bro A-Go-Go!
Course ID: 5TM-QX7-D9G
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

The jam theme kind of got away from me on this one. Initially I was thinking the level would incorporate fire and ice by having a winter course based around fire bros and fire flowers as a progressive power-up. Then I decided to turn it into a spiritual sequel to the NSMBU level "Bouncy Cloud Boomerangs" by adding in trampoline platforms as a main course element. Then I ended up deciding to mix in hammer bros as well to give the stage more variety. So now the theme is fire and ice... and trampolines and hammers. Anyways, this a super traditional left to right Mario level that's probably around special world difficulty. Nothing that should trip up experienced players but casuals always struggle with hammer and fire bros which are the main antagonists here.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 9, 2019

mektarian
Mar 21, 2005

Switch Harbor
RNJ-D0P-FRG
This is a level I made that has some exploration elements. I wanted collecting pink coins to be required to finish the level, but I made them optional since dying after getting them all would reset them.

Here are some reviews from Random Acts:

#1097 1-1 Do you like to swing?
V8R-9MP-H8G
By: Zakka
Nice and short level. About the right amount of challenge for me, although there was a tough looking part after the midpoint that I just jumped over.

#1078 Glacial Grief
NF7-1VF-FWG
By: Orange Crush Rush
A fun level that used the icicles in some cool ways. The main grief I had was a lack of power ups though.

#756 Wet Wet Woods
LR6-J3H-5CG
By: Perry Normal
There were some nice touches in this level like the decorated fort. Those giant piranha plants in the underwater section scared me a bit.

#158 Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
H0T-H7J-XSG
By: DorianGravy
I liked this level since it was tricky, but had enough power ups so you could make some mistakes. Like when I kind of just ran through the thwomp and banzai bill tunnel :v:

#833 An Upward Struggle
TQ0-695-XSF
By: Big Mad Drongo
Level with a good theme of running up slopes to avoid rising lava. Also:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm streaming for a little while right here:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton/

Come and submit a level!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I’m running a bit late on the blitz. Shopping with family. I’ll give you some extra time to do this one in return.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm streaming for a little while right here:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton/

Come and submit a level!

Haha, we gotta stop meeting like this!

I'm also streaming viewer levels! Hit him first, then me!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1160012489880457216

Again, as before you are allowed to use checkpoint flags.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

guppy posted:

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship by Dorian Gravy
H0T-H7J-XSG

This was lovely. What's the point of the key door?

Thanks! The key door is mostly just for flavor. Knowing that Mario is around, Bowser should keep his airship doors locked, right? That's why you have to get a key from the captain's cockpit (where the Magikoopa is) before you can get inside.

mektarian posted:

#158 Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
H0T-H7J-XSG
By: DorianGravy
I liked this level since it was tricky, but had enough power ups so you could make some mistakes. Like when I kind of just ran through the thwomp and banzai bill tunnel :v:

Thanks. Yeah, I try to provide a good number of power-ups. I sometimes get frustrated when otherwise well-designed levels with interesting challenges demand that you be perfect to clear it. It's nice to know that you can make mistakes sometimes and still be alright.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

OneMoreTime posted:

10. The Bridge is Out
By: Besesoth 3NP-B3P-QHF

I have never not landed on the Koopa there, so I guess I did need more testing! (But I should have pointed that arrow a different direction; I wanted to indicate that you could go up to get the 30 coin, but ended up implying that you had to.)

Thanks for playing! My goal in most of my levels is to make stages that would fit into a core SMB title, and I hope this level fit that bracket. I should branch out and experiment with what the medium allows, but - I really like coming up with standard Mario levels. >_>

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Besesoth posted:

I have never not landed on the Koopa there, so I guess I did need more testing! (But I should have pointed that arrow a different direction; I wanted to indicate that you could go up to get the 30 coin, but ended up implying that you had to.)

Thanks for playing! My goal in most of my levels is to make stages that would fit into a core SMB title, and I hope this level fit that bracket. I should branch out and experiment with what the medium allows, but - I really like coming up with standard Mario levels. >_>

Eh, I'm with you on that. Every time I want to make something crazy, I end up just being like "what if I made a Mario level? That's be rad!"

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So I stumbled upon this: https://www.worldmapbuilder.com/

Apparently you can use that (and item codes placed at the end of your levels) to make worlds, which seems pretty darn neat! This got me thinking: Would there be any interest in making a few goon-level Mario worlds? Build them all around a general theme, try to make them have a difficulty progression, etc. I've seen some amazing creativity from the goons around here, so I think this is totally doable!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

OneMoreTime posted:

So I stumbled upon this: https://www.worldmapbuilder.com/

Apparently you can use that (and item codes placed at the end of your levels) to make worlds, which seems pretty darn neat! This got me thinking: Would there be any interest in making a few goon-level Mario worlds? Build them all around a general theme, try to make them have a difficulty progression, etc. I've seen some amazing creativity from the goons around here, so I think this is totally doable!

There's a problem with this, and its the problem that will keep Nintendo from ever actually making a world mode for this game;

nobody would play them.

Some people aren't willing to sit down and even play a few random levels. Tons of people get barely any plays on their levels. If individual levels can't even be played consistently, who is going to sit down to play an entire world? It'd be super discouraging for people to invest all that time into making worlds and have nobody play them. Its why Nintendo is never going to add that as an option, even though people say they want it. It sounds cool on paper, but when you think of the logistical problem of levels actually being played you realize why Nintendo never put it in.

I'm sure some goons would be dedicated to playing entire worlds made locally, but I doubt it would be many. And some people would definitely just keep making worlds without ever bothering to touch the ones other people make.

EDIT: What might be interesting, and something that I could see people here enjoying, is a goon created world where people submit levels based on one another. That'd take a lot of work to set up, and runs into its own logistical problems.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 10, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's something incredibly charming about the fact that I found a random person's level in the new tab and really liked it, so I subscribed to them and played one other of their levels, and then the next day having them play some of my levels. So I've been playing more of theirs and now I've been seeing this person's plays and likes on my levels for the past week as I do the same and play theirs (and get excited when they upload a new one).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Phantasium posted:

There's something incredibly charming about the fact that I found a random person's level in the new tab and really liked it, so I subscribed to them and played one other of their levels, and then the next day having them play some of my levels. So I've been playing more of theirs and now I've been seeing this person's plays and likes on my levels for the past week as I do the same and play theirs (and get excited when they upload a new one).

I've had this happen a few times. Honestly its a lot more satisfying to me to see a creator I know enjoying my levels consistently than a bunch of random people. Its why I try to go out of my way to leave comments whenever I play Endless mode and enjoy something. And if the level is really good, I'll check out their profile too and usually find some good levels in the process.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a problem with this, and its the problem that will keep Nintendo from ever actually making a world mode for this game;

nobody would play them.

Some people aren't willing to sit down and even play a few random levels. Tons of people get barely any plays on their levels. If individual levels can't even be played consistently, who is going to sit down to play an entire world? It'd be super discouraging for people to invest all that time into making worlds and have nobody play them. Its why Nintendo is never going to add that as an option, even though people say they want it. It sounds cool on paper, but when you think of the logistical problem of levels actually being played you realize why Nintendo never put it in.

I'm sure some goons would be dedicated to playing entire worlds made locally, but I doubt it would be many. And some people would definitely just keep making worlds without ever bothering to touch the ones other people make.

EDIT: What might be interesting, and something that I could see people here enjoying, is a goon created world where people submit levels based on one another. That'd take a lot of work to set up, and runs into its own logistical problems.

The idea would be more around people making levels that could fit into a world (someone makes 1-1, another makes 1-2, etc) like/similar to what you suggested with your edit. I see your point though. I still think I'd be an interesting exercise even if no one played it, plus it might be good for people who are either tend to make a more difficult levels make easy ones and vice versa around theme, force them to break new ground like the blitzes and all.

Of course, this only matters if there's interest, so, well...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd be up for contributing to goon world, regardless of how the project turns out.

It might be neat to do a weekly world theme alongside the jam, or even just assemble the jam's stages into a world.

Edit: I'd also be up for the collaborative world-building that Kraken suggested. I love designing levels based on interesting criteria, but blitzes are too limiting for me to find them fun.

Edit 2: Seriously, Kraken, if you want to start this off, I'll make a level that thematically follows yours, we'll see who else wants to contribute, and see where this goes.

It might be easier to do this in a smaller group, and if we define a world as, say, 8 stages, have a group of four people go A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D., or else randomized so everyone's doing two levels and no one's following themselves. Also do we put restrictions on game styles (whole world in same game style, anything but 3D World since it has too few parts in common with the other styles), or anything goes?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 10, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Personally I think if we do make a world, every level needs to be in the same style. I dunno if other people would agree with that though. I've seen a lot of people make their own "worlds" and one thing that always bugs me is when they use like every single game style. Going from one style to another kind of shatters the illusion that this could be an actual Mario World because you're changing games.

Also i think its a cool idea I'd be down to participate in, but it might be better to have someone else organize it. Or just have some other goons make the first few levels because I have a tendency to make stuff too hard lol

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I've seen a lot of people make their own "worlds" and one thing that always bugs me is when they use like every single game style. Going from one style to another kind of shatters the illusion that this could be an actual Mario World because you're changing games.

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. I've seen people try to stick to a single game style and theme for their worlds, and while individually the levels were fine I found myself getting bored sequentially playing levels in the same tileset made with the same person's design sensibilities. Of course a collab project would solve the second part.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Real Mario doesn't have a ghosthouse world, unless we're talking about Donkey Kong '94

If you're going for something authentic, it makes sense to add ghost houses, castles, underground and underwater to any world

But reusing grass, desert, winter and forest at least once makes sense for a 'world', and you can double the visual variety for any of these with nightmode

You could do tricks like making the outside of the castle (subworld) into the main worldtype if you wanted to be clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

If individual levels can't even be played consistently, who is going to sit down to play an entire world? It'd be super discouraging for people to invest all that time into making worlds and have nobody play them. Its why Nintendo is never going to add that as an option, even though people say they want it. It sounds cool on paper, but when you think of the logistical problem of levels actually being played you realize why Nintendo never put it in.

You're missing a big thing there. An out of application loop of, Go to maplink -> Go to Mario Maker -> Enter code -> write the code at the end of the level -> Go back to maplink to enter code ->etc is way more of a pain in the rear end then.

Go to Mario Maker -> Go to World Map Tab or whatever -> start playing levels.

I think most people would actually rather play worlds designed by individual makers then play endless where the signal to noise ratio swings wildly. The issue then is that the chances of any given level being played goes down, because few people are playing rando anymore and instead are going to be playing the worlds made by popular streamers/makers and maybe someone else.

edit:If you look at the popular tab is about status quo anyway

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 10, 2019