Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

You can watch the bartender with movie grain, like an old timey film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

The bartender's going to come out and play two entirely canned cutscenes: "What do you want to drink?" and "So I heard you're looking for a job?" He will have zero facial expressions, exist in a little platform that's locked off from the player, and not look noticeably better than any randomly-rolled NPC in the game. Exactly like every other quest giving NPC.

Citizens will be too busy looking at gifs of the newest ship that has mechanics to host your in-game wedding reception to get mad about "past mistakes" or whatever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, were those elevators physicalized?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/anticipation-of-the-arrival-of-squadron-42

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's amazing how quickly in that thread they rationalize the time spent on the bartender.

"Why are they spending so much time on this thing that doesn't matter to the space dogfighting game they haven't finished yet?"

"Oh, well, this information I pulled out of my rear end says it will be the basis for every other NPC interaction in the game, that again, may I remind you, does not matter to the space dogfighting that they haven't finished that yet!"

"Oh, whew! My immersions are safe."

Lol, it's a thread about speculating about when SQ42 will be out, and everyone in the thread is speculating about when SQ42 will be out, but it was closed because "the conversation has drifted into topics outside the scope of the OP original post". UH HUH. RIGHT.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 9, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
As much as we laugh at how broke brained these guys are, CI is targeting and exploiting them.

Sometimes I do feel for them tho.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

no_recall posted:

As much as we laugh at how broke brained these guys are, CI is targeting and exploiting them.

Sometimes I do feel for them tho.

I keep thinking that's going to happen to me, but when I see them looking at all this wasted time on bartenders, and thinking "hypercompetent cutting-edge AI prototype development," instead of, say "easily distracted by shiny things," it passes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I always try to remember whales doesn't always mean rich guys with money to piss away. It also means people who compulsively spend but really can't afford it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

The bartender's going to come out and play two entirely canned cutscenes: "What do you want to drink?" and "So I heard you're looking for a job?" He will have zero facial expressions, exist in a little platform that's locked off from the player, and not look noticeably better than any randomly-rolled NPC in the game. Exactly like every other quest giving NPC.

Citizens will be too busy looking at gifs of the newest ship that has mechanics to host your in-game wedding reception to get mad about "past mistakes" or whatever.

Oh for sure, the NPCs will never be any better than they are now, and the Citizenry will quickly all forget about or internalize it. There will be a post once a month or so on Reddit about "hey remember how Chris promised us life long friendships with hyper intelligent NPCs? When will that be in the game?" The response will be a deluge of downvotes and a chorus of "IT'S ALPHA!"; followed by a few galaxy-brained effort posts dripping with cognitive dissonance about how subsumptive AI is actually fully developed and already in the game you see, it just hasn't been completely turned on yet.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I always try to remember whales doesn't always mean rich guys with money to piss away. It also means people who compulsively spend but really can't afford it.

You have to remember it could be anyone that gets sucked into these scams. Nobody is really immune to it. It happened to people posting here in this thread, but thankfully the community figured out it was a con long before most other people. That ten bux fee is good for weeding out shitheads and keeping the conversation somewhat productive. Reddit is where any idiot can make a multitude of accounts and continue to dumb down the conversation and chase out anyone that dares to challenge the dream. It's perfect for social media management to keep those whales spending.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In case you worried that maybe Citizens were not actually loving obsessed with the hangar on the upcoming space yacht:

They are really, really obsessed with it

""Let's fantasize about playing basketball on our spaceships just like the days I spent as an aircraft technician," says the person who spelled hangar incorrectly!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

Rapidly crouching or jumping will kill your character with a fidelity heart attack

This is awesome and I'm glad Star Citizen is able to bring this to their gamers.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Aramoro posted:

Ah yes a High Threat SAM system, with it's range of 2km. Just look how backwards the British were in 1944 when they designed the Fairey Stooge with a range of only 5km, idiot.

If only we could have such advanced technology now, systems like the RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 only has an effective range of 2500km.

This is exactly the kind of design problems you're going to have when you mix an infinite space game with a walking simulator game.

Ultimately you're trying to make an arcade Arma game where the player can't be killed without some sort of CoD type action, except he can be killed from 200 miles away from some guy literally in space with a huge telescope module attached to their ship.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

CIG is really leaving money on the table here. They should be selling a system of four networked vehicles that you can command your peons to control like the real life Russian S-400.

They will get to this when they talk about how you can target ships in other server instances multiple instances away from your own due to how awesome the server meshing technology they developed 2 years ago is.

I for one look forward to these death missiles popping out of nothing to blow you up immediately.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

There are a few things Chris wants in the game that are a verbatim copy of his imagination. The bar and bartender are one of the more inane ones but is nothing compared to the Javelin, with the flight deck, mess hall and all the military trappings. I don't know why they are complaining though. If they are following the game closely enough to read the reddit, they know full well what they have signed up for.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizen Etiquette Update:

It is not okay to ask about the Banu Merchantman

It is especially not okay to point out that you bought this ship for 250 dollars, six years ago, and they haven't produced so much as a concept image since then....

They probably saw my version of it and called it a day. Mission successful. :allears:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A new episode of Inside Star Citizen is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EG-0nzkzrE

Summary:

* NPC's are finished! Well. The concept art for some NPC's is finished. Actually it's the concept art for a rework of the shopkeeper NPC's that are already in the game. What, you wanted forward progress?
* Bartender and Waiters have more "Flair." Holy gently caress no human being living or dead has ever cared about the flair on a piece of concept art for wait staff in a spaceship video game.
* I bet you'd like to see some space chefs, wouldn't you? You wouldn't? gently caress you. It looks like every other chef's uniform.
* Chris Roberts watched some Star Wars movies and now he forgot that "Bounty Hunter" isn't just a generic thing you can do, and he has demanded "Bounty Hunter" NPC's that look like Boba Fett got mugged by Judge Dredd. Don't worry, we didn't actually produce any of this- it's just concept art.
* Cold weather gear for the player! Well. Concept art for cold weather gear for the player!
* In-game plants, or something? Don't worry there's no mechanics attached and we're showing them in a greybox state.
* New, uh, counters? I had the sound off here but it's just some panning shots of perfectly boring counters, tables, and surfaces. Holy poo poo they have nothing
* We've almost finished the interior art for an alien spaceship! Nonfunctional, of course.
* We're still working on the interior for a spaceship that was on the roadmap for release a month and a half ago! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Now you may ask, how does it not constitute lying if we had it on the roadmap while knowing we'd be working on it well after the release date? The answer is: look at this beautiful ship's galley! Remember those concept art NPC's we showed earlier? You are supposed to imagine them working in here, on your yacht. They won't actually be, and we aren't suggesting that they will be- you won't catch us on camera making that promise! But we just wanted to show you some NPC's you might see in a galley, and then later show you this galley, and let you do some free association.
* Pool table and arcade machine! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Airlock for the hangar! Both sides of airlock open immediately as player approaches. That part needs setting up, still. It will never be set up.
* (The scene literally transitions to a completely separate one when he walks through the doors at 6:55. You can see the spawned-in spaceships settling. Not making it up, they are completely bullshitting everything about the hangar working.)
* This ship has a loving spa deck. Nonfunctional, of course. The amazing luxury towels featured on last week's episode make an appearance!
* Don't worry, the nonfunctional jacuzzi has undergone a complete rework. He actually says this.
* There is no water in the jacuzzi on the spa deck. Of course.
* That's it. This ship costs 900 dollars and is years behind schedule and won't expand the gameplay meaningfully when it's released. Nothing works, it's just art. The end, no punchline.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Summary:

* NPC's are finished! Well. The concept art for some NPC's is finished. Actually it's the concept art for a rework of the shopkeeper NPC's that are already in the game. What, you wanted forward progress?
* Bartender and Waiters have more "Flair." Holy gently caress no human being living or dead has ever cared about the flair on a piece of concept art for wait staff in a spaceship video game.
* I bet you'd like to see some space chefs, wouldn't you? You wouldn't? gently caress you. It looks like every other chef's uniform.
* Chris Roberts watched some Star Wars movies and now he forgot that "Bounty Hunter" isn't just a generic thing you can do, and he has demanded "Bounty Hunter" NPC's that look like Boba Fett got mugged by Judge Dredd. Don't worry, we didn't actually produce any of this- it's just concept art.
* Cold weather gear for the player! Well. Concept art for cold weather gear for the player!
* In-game plants, or something? Don't worry there's no mechanics attached and we're showing them in a greybox state.
* New, uh, counters? I had the sound off here but it's just some panning shots of perfectly boring counters, tables, and surfaces. Holy poo poo they have nothing
* We've almost finished the interior art for an alien spaceship! Nonfunctional, of course.
* We're still working on the interior for a spaceship that was on the roadmap for release a month and a half ago! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Now you may ask, how does it not constitute lying if we had it on the roadmap while knowing we'd be working on it well after the release date? The answer is: look at this beautiful ship's galley! Remember those concept art NPC's we showed earlier? You are supposed to imagine them working in here, on your yacht. They won't actually be, and we aren't suggesting that they will be- you won't catch us on camera making that promise! But we just wanted to show you some NPC's you might see in a galley, and then later show you this galley, and let you do some free association.
* Pool table and arcade machine! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Airlock for the hangar! Both sides of airlock open immediately as player approaches. That part needs setting up, still. It will never be set up.
* (The scene literally transitions to a completely separate one when he walks through the doors at 6:55. You can see the spawned-in spaceships settling. Not making it up, they are completely bullshitting everything about the hangar working.)
* This ship has a loving spa deck. Nonfunctional, of course. The amazing luxury towels featured on last week's episode make an appearance!
* Don't worry, the nonfunctional jacuzzi has undergone a complete rework. He actually says this.
* There is no water in the jacuzzi on the spa deck. Of course.
* That's it. This ship costs 900 dollars and is years behind schedule and won't expand the gameplay meaningfully when it's released. Nothing works, it's just art. The end, no punchline.

Hah, that transition is one hell of a tell.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"Ships with Character"

And that character is "sterile superyacht"

But the Citizens will love it because POCKET CARRIER

Question: Do players who haven't paid the $900 actually get to play with it on the test server? Or do only those who shelled out for it get to? Seems like an inefficient way to bug test if so.

Edit: lol these youtube comments

quote:

cowboy10uk
9 hours ago
Mmmm ok the 890 is a vip ship, Please move the basketball court to the cargo area. One doesn’t want my guests seeing a crew play area as they walk into the ship, and will admit to being disappointed that the grotto has been removed for and lets be honest here, quite a boring clinical hot tub area. You had it looking stunning guys, everyone was happy with it, so why why on earth change it to this. :(

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 9, 2019

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i will now mocap myself how i go to work, sit there for 8 hours shouting into the telephone, then go home again.

i will then be able to use that mocap data for everyday of my life.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

"You can sit down here"
"There are spaces to sit down in"
"Here you can sit down, possibly"
"Imagine rich people sitting here, waiting"
"When we get fish tech, there'll be fish here"
"This also forms a screen, where you can get changed"

Wtf is this? This isn't a space game, there's no actual gameplay, there's no potential even for gameplay, only an apparent artist showing off basic cookie cutter room design and asking people to 'imagine' things the whole way through, it's a ridiculous waste of money and time. Are they not supposed to be thinking about things like people running through there shooting stuff and lobbing grenades around?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

There are a few things Chris wants in the game that are a verbatim copy of his imagination. The bar and bartender are one of the more inane ones but is nothing compared to the Javelin, with the flight deck, mess hall and all the military trappings. I don't know why they are complaining though. If they are following the game closely enough to read the reddit, they know full well what they have signed up for.

How else will you get that sad moment when you talk to one of your wingmates who was close to the wingmate who just died/suicided to save the greater good? This is a required scene and it works best in a bar setting aboard a military ship.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

Did they get Jennifer Aniston to do mocap flipping the bird to the manager? The fidelity doctrine demands it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

i will now mocap myself how i go to work, sit there for 8 hours shouting into the telephone, then go home again.

i will then be able to use that mocap data for everyday of my life.

I hope you are making a video game because you can totally one up Star Citizen like every other game out there has.

Heck, you can one up them even after you procrastinate on it for a couple years.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Wtf is this? This isn't a space game, there's no actual gameplay, there's no potential even for gameplay, only an apparent artist showing off basic cookie cutter room design and asking people to 'imagine' things the whole way through, it's a ridiculous waste of money and time. Are they not supposed to be thinking about things like people running through there shooting stuff and lobbing grenades around?
They are transiting to Second Life in Space, because that's what whales want and that's what they can monetize. They can't sell better response time in combat. Hm, or can they?

Hav posted:

Can confirm, am INTJ. Briggs-Meyers may be a vast simplification of human traits, but it tickles me that I've been a consistent INTJ for at least three decades.
It's a pseudoscientific nonsense that only tells how you want to perceive yourself so that you can associate your acronym with some famous people that never took MBTI. It's only used by HR people that don't know any better and as an internet quiz.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

In case you worried that maybe Citizens were not actually loving obsessed with the hangar on the upcoming space yacht:

They are really, really obsessed with it

""Let's fantasize about playing basketball on our spaceships just like the days I spent as an aircraft technician," says the person who spelled hangar incorrectly!

Something else I am observing is that these dudes have some serious narcissistic tendencies with their posting.

"I'm a _____ for ______ therefore ___________"

"Have been a ________ for __________ so _____________"

They have justifications for everything CR is trying to do because they have personally experienced this nirvana therefore Star Citizen has to become nirvana for them.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sabreseven posted:

Just imagine it. A whole yacht ship. Imagine the parties you'll be able to throw with your giant staff of richly attired NPC chefs, and your aircraft techs playing basketball in the hangar. Imagine how important you're going to feel when you put them in a line in front of your elevated Captain's Desk and dress them down for roughhousing in front of the Ambassador's Wife. Imagine the wild pool party and maybe a bit more on the spa deck. Imagine how rich and fancy and successful you're going to feel and how jealous all your friends will be. The gameplay is in your dreams, at night, as you lie in bed thinking about how great it's all going to be. The reality could never compare- why pursue it? Give us the money and keep on imagining.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's finally gone full used-luxury-car dealership, is what I'm saying. Three thousand threadcount bedsheets! Luxury towels! No, the spaceship hangar doesn't work! Stop asking!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Narcissists Anonymous

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This is their target market now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4M-7ONCyJU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"here's the airlock. of course we'll fix it so that both doors can't be open at the same time"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

doors.

the eternal enemy

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sabreseven posted:

"You can sit down here"
"There are spaces to sit down in"
"Here you can sit down, possibly"
"Imagine rich people sitting here, waiting"

Star Sitizen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

Such basketball court is something I would expect to see on a military or industrial vessel. There should be place where crew can blow off some steam or just relax. That is not however something I would expect to see in a hangar of luxury ship. If you are a VIP personel you do not really want to see a basket ball course right beside the place where you land your luxury plane. On top of that, as an owner of the Yacht you would not really want your gest to stumble upon your crew while in the middle of the game - sweaty and possibly without shirts.
Such place, even if it is in there should be hidden in such way that guests would not stumble on it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
These spaceship basketball court quotes are lovely. Truly, what happens when the dreams finally fully subsume the brain and dissolve the unnecessary gray matter.

Wait....maybe this was what SATAball was always suppose to be.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Just wait for the RICO suit against the entity formerly known as Ben Lesnick when it is discovered that he was actually six fanboys in a trench coat all along.

We'll be rocked by revelations that the enthusiastic supporters were really staff in a St Petersburg Los Angeles office, astroturfing, writing fake "articles", organising useful idiots to spread bullshit narratives, and.... oh poo poo.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/uber-loses-5-billion-in-q2-2019-despite-big-uptick-in-trips/
https://investor.uber.com/news-events/news/press-release-details/2019/Uber-Reports-Second-Quarter-2019-Results/default.aspx

Companies like Uber or Theranos obviously never understood revolutionary, never done before, industry saving idea development.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 9, 2019

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

MedicineHut posted:

https://investor.uber.com/news-events/news/press-release-details/2019/Uber-Reports-Second-Quarter-2019-Results/default.aspx

Companies like Uber or Theranos obviously never understood revolutionary, never done before, industry saving idea development.

At least Uber is (forced by law) somewhat honest in saying none of what is in their press release will happen.

quote:

Forward-Looking Statements

This press release contains forward-looking statements regarding our future business expectations which involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from the results predicted, and reported results should not be considered as an indication of future performance. Forward-looking statements include all statements that are not historical facts and can be identified by terms such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “contemplate,” “continue,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “hope,” “intend,” “may,” “might,” “objective,” “ongoing,” “plan,” “potential,” “predict,” “project,” “should,” “target,” “will,” or “would” or similar expressions and the negatives of those terms

I wonder what the Forward Looking Statements Per Minute (FLSPM) of the average CIG Youtube promo is.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

CeeJee posted:

At least Uber is (forced by law) somewhat honest in saying none of what is in their press release will happen.

I wonder what the Forward Looking Statements Per Minute (FLSPM) of the average CIG Youtube promo is.

Yeah I wasnt fully fair. Also, as opposed to Theranos or CIG, Uber at least has an actual real product. They have hyped up and sold many dreams about how profitable it will be though. And whales be whales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

It's finally gone full used-luxury-car dealership, is what I'm saying. Three thousand threadcount bedsheets! Luxury towels! No, the spaceship hangar doesn't work! Stop asking!

But can I fit a sand worm in the hangar?