Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There was a Bang & Olufsen music player called the Beosound 3200 which was a 2003 music system which played CDs and had an internal hard drive. You chucked a CD in and in real time it'd add it to the hard drive in one of 4 user sections, up to 99 CDs in each. Legend has it that one customer over the course of several months put together a spreadsheet of what the random function was playing and how often compared to what the hard drive contained. He sent it along to B&O along with a note saying he was disappointed with what it was playing and that it wasn't actually random. Due to this one man's work the algorithm was re-written completely so it was truly random rather than somewhat. :v:

That's funny because mine was definitely not random at all either go figure.

I'm getting a two year newer xB with the updated head unit so i'm hoping it's fixed, we'll see :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

https://jalopnik.com/dead-bmw-3-series-gt-bmw-6-series-gt-bmw-6-series-gr-1837073188

Best BMW news.

All weird, gross GT car models DEAD.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm sad to read that the Golf R is going away for a bit I wanted one once I paid off this Honda

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My worry about that is that a lot can change in two years and while they are saying that it will come later, it's not unbelievable that a US release could get cancelled later.

Glad I picked up the last turbo AWD manual hatchback for sale.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

My worry about that is that a lot can change in two years and while they are saying that it will come later, it's not unbelievable that a US release could get cancelled later.

Glad I picked up the last turbo AWD manual hatchback for sale.

Wait what?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Golf R production is stopping while they retook the factory but only for a while but I do hope it comes back because I would very much like one when I can afford one

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Solus posted:

Golf R production is stopping while they retook the factory but only for a while but I do hope it comes back because I would very much like one when I can afford one

Oh I get that, but I'm hoping it'll come back with a stick down the road. I came this close to buying the last one.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 9, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Solus posted:

R GmbH isn’t going anywhere and of course there’s going to be a Mk 8 Golf R.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't doubt there will be a MK8 Golf R, but with every manufacturer killing cars in the US, I don't think it's a stretch to be worried about VW changing their mind about bringing it here. Remember, Ford killed the CUV version of the Focus at the 11th hour.

As for transmission, they already eliminated the manual R in Europe for the MK7.5, so I'm pessimistic that the MK8 will come with anything but a DSG in all regions.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 9, 2019

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is the Golf R worth the increased operating costs?
I’ve heard horror stories about reliability after 50,000 miles. Also VW used to have dual injection for euro spec 7.5Rs and now I hear a rumour that not only will the US models not have dual injection but they stopped doing it for Euro models (including the Mk8) as well. That just seems really stupid to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the '18 and '19 R have a fully transferable 6 year 72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so I'm not expecting to worry about any out of pocket non-maintenance expenses for a very long time.

Carbon buildup is always a worry, but VW isn't exactly unique in that regard. The same issues exist for Subaru (minus the BRZ that's both port and direct injected) and pretty much any direct injection only vehicle which most are nowadays. I think I've pretty much accepted any new car I buy is likely going to need walnut blasting at some point in its life if I keep it long term.

I'm not sure where the R should really have all that higher expenses long term than the GTI other than the occasional Haldax maintenance.

Mine is probably only going to see between 3k and 4k miles a year so I'm not worried regardless. With two cars and the fact that I WFH, I'm just not going to be putting a lot of wear and tear on vehicles.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 9, 2019

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I wonder if global walnut prices will be impacted

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

I don't doubt there will be a MK8 Golf R, but with every manufacturer killing cars in the US, I don't think it's a stretch to be worried about VW changing their mind about bringing it here. Remember, Ford killed the CUV version of the Focus at the 11th hour.

As for transmission, they already eliminated the manual R in Europe for the MK7.5, so I'm pessimistic that the MK8 will come with anything but a DSG in all regions.

The manual in the current R was not great to be honest, it's a better car with DSG.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't care, I wanted a manual. If I wanted an automatic, I would have bought a Stinger GT instead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

drgitlin posted:

The manual in the current R was not great to be honest, it's a better car with DSG.

Yeah, but I don't care if the auto is the "better" transmission. I want a manual, even a not great one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's better than the one that was in my 2011 WRX, but not as good as the one in my BRZ (but not many are).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
You people are triggering me when you refer to a DCT as an "auto"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you don't manipulate the clutch yourself, it's an auto. It can be a very good, very fast auto that's very responsive to manual input, but it's still an auto. Yes, I'm aware of the differences internally, between something that's planetary gear based like a traditional automatic transmission and something like a dual clutch transmission, but they are just different means to automating the shifting process.

It's all perfectly fine if that's what you want. I don't.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If it doesn’t have 3 pedals it an auto, end of

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this at all and I'm not making any judgement on those who choose the DCT. For me, the act of driving a manual is the coordination between the clutch and changing gear, not the actual manual control over what gear I'm in. It's a driving engagement thing. I'm not doing laps on a track or going after quarter mile times where the quick shifts of the DCT would matter. I'm just driving and if I'm not moving the left leg and right arm I get bored pretty quick.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
guys, my manual purity

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Manual take rate on the GTI and R in the U.S. in 2018 was 44%, so it should stay for the Mk8.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

You people are triggering me when you refer to a DCT as an "auto"

It is though.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this at all and I'm not making any judgement on those who choose the DCT. For me, the act of driving a manual is the coordination between the clutch and changing gear, not the actual manual control over what gear I'm in. It's a driving engagement thing. I'm not doing laps on a track or going after quarter mile times where the quick shifts of the DCT would matter. I'm just driving and if I'm not moving the left leg and right arm I get bored pretty quick.

I just don't get the same connection to the car in an auto. It's as simple as that for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Godzilla07 posted:

Manual take rate on the GTI and R in the U.S. in 2018 was 44%, so it should stay for the Mk8.

That's combined GTI and R though, from what I understand the manual take for the R alone was much lower. I'm sure the GTI would have a manual, I just wouldn't be shocked if the R distilled down to one powertrain to federalize.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I daily a manual.

If I were buying a GTI I'd get the manual.

If I were buying an R I'd get the DSG.

Maybe I'm weird, but it's sort of a case by case thing for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If changing gear is the only thing that interests you you're obviously not driving fast enough

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If it doesn’t have 3 pedals it an auto, end of

It lacks distinction between a regular torque converter auto and a DCT

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you need a stick to wiggle while you're driving to feel like a man, grow your own.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Powershift posted:

If you need a stick to wiggle while you're driving to feel like a man, grow your own.

I already see enough little stick compensation around due to the number of trucks on the road, thanks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I already see enough little stick compensation around due to the number of trucks on the road, thanks.

If you ask them nicely, I'm sure they'll let you wiggle it. Most of those trucks have 3 pedals, too, although the function of the leftmost is still unknown.

Wheeee posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but it's sort of a case by case thing for me

As it should be. Right tools for the job, and all that.

"A screw isn't a fastener because i want to use a hammer" is a very different statement than "I wanted to use a hammer, so i bought nails"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

"A screw isn't a fastener because i want to use a hammer" is a very different statement than "I wanted to use a hammer, so i bought nails"

Dragging our asses to different locations is the part where a Prius could do it for most of us. Once you start introducing more power, different driving dynamics then the idea of a manual vs an automatic is a personal choice and isn't a right or wrong answer. If you choose to drive something that you don't need because you like it, the transmission falls right in line with that.

That said, manuals forever I don't give a hot poo poo how much better an auto is, it is always worse. :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

See I cant tell if people are talking about torque converter autos or dcts when they're saying auto

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Literally no one but DCT enthusiasts care about the distinction.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fridge corn posted:

See I cant tell if people are talking about torque converter autos or dcts when they're saying auto
Yes, they are.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Americans being precious about driving manuals is so tiresome

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Literally no one but DCT enthusiasts care about the distinction.

This guy seems to:

He should have specified that he preferred the tactile feedback of the slow manual.

fridge corn posted:

You might be taking this thread a little too serious. There hasn't been a serious post in this thread in years because all new cars are actually bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Powershift posted:

This guy seems to:

Kinda the exact opposite no? If I'm basically saying the auto in the Stinger and R is the same thing to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Kinda the exact opposite no? If I'm basically saying the auto in the Stinger and R is the same thing to me.

No, If you didn't care you would call it what it is. You obviously do because you are purposefully misgendering the DCT.

You're DCTrans-phobic.

I personally think you should be allowed to love whatever form of locomotion you like, as long as it isn't the detriment of other road users. All this gatekeeping and tribalism and hate has no place in our society or on our roads.

We shouldn't allow the superstitions of our parents define what the relationship between a person and their car or cars should be.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 9, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Powershift posted:

No, If you didn't care you would call it what it is. You obviously do because you are purposefully misgendering the DCT.

You're DCTrans-phobic.

I personally think you should be allowed to love whatever form of locomotion you like, as long as it isn't the detriment of other road users. All this gatekeeping and tribalism and hate has no place in our society or on our roads.

We shouldn't allow the superstitions of our parents define what the relationship between a person and their car or cars should be.

Society is forcing automatics on me due to systematic MURDER of a whole class of vehicles. Who's the real victim here, huh? HUH?

Let manual vehicles roam the road freely, being what they were born to be!