Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Framboise posted:

You typically wouldn't build around an individual card. You can build around a strategy though, and packing your deck full of Wheels is not bad when cards like Waste Not, Notion Thief, new Narset, Smothering Tithe, etc exist. Granted, none of these work well at the same time but they're all great wheel enhancers.

Combine that with graveyard recursion like Yawgmoth's Will/Mnemonic Betrayal and commanders like Less and you have a ton of value to work with.

I mean, the very best edh decks are food chain and protean hulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

I mean, the very best edh decks are food chain and protean hulk

Najeela mid-range, Thrasios/Tymna Good Stuff, and Kess Pact are arguably better than Food Chain.

The various Hulk decks are definitely top 2 archetypes, though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I see that there are a lot of black cards to bring back creatures but are there any (or blue) to bring back planeswalkers or other permanents? All I know of is The Eldest Reborn

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

I see that there are a lot of black cards to bring back creatures but are there any (or blue) to bring back planeswalkers or other permanents? All I know of is The Eldest Reborn

Command the Dreadhorde

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Primeval's Glorious Rebirth works if you're dipping into white

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CODChimera posted:

Command the Dreadhorde, Obzedat's Aid, The Eldest Reborn, Primevals' Glorious Rebirth.

Edit: Technically, Sun Titan and Emeria Shepherd can snag walkers, too. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 8, 2019

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I think this series seems sweet. There's decent reprints for playability if not necessarily for value, and a lot of the new printings are very cool

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lol, no. Outside of basic lands and Sol Ring each of these decka has maybe 5 playable cards.

The reprints are trash and the players should be revolting after 2 years of this poo poo.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

the players should be revolting

Oh, they are.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The players are always revolting. Now, they should be rebelling.

Edit: at one point, two of the top five valued cards were just because they get played in pauper (Ash Barrens and Prismatic Strands).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Lol, no. Outside of basic lands and Sol Ring each of these decka has maybe 5 playable cards.

The reprints are trash and the players should be revolting after 2 years of this poo poo.

Pretty much.

I'm still probably going to buy this madness deck just because though.

The others are complete rear end.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I mean, they know people are going to buy them, so they don't have any particular reason to really bother making sure they're actually quality :shrug:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, they know people are going to buy them, so they don't have any particular reason to really bother making sure they're actually quality :shrug:

And they also know dumbfucks on the internet are going to white knight for them and straight up lie to people about how good they are, which is where we are at in this here thread right now.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Rude

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

And they also know dumbfucks on the internet are going to white knight for them and straight up lie to people about how good they are, which is where we are at in this here thread right now.

Well if you want to play the Morph deck, there's like 30 playable cards for it in that precon. They were really limited in how lovely they could make the deck anyway because no one's buying a Commander precon that's full of the generic vanilla and french vanilla 5/3s, 4/4s, and what have you that make up most of the morphs in Magic's history. That's as far as I'll stand up for these.

Edit: Actually they aren't terrible for new players who aren't into the whole cEDH thing.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 9, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Command the Dreadhorde

Excellent thank you

AlternateNu posted:

Command the Dreadhorde, Obzedat's Aid, The Eldest Reborn, Primevals' Glorious Rebirth.

Edit: Technically, Sun Titan and Emeria Shepherd can snag walkers, too. :v:
It was for my Dimir edh but I've def got a deck for Obzedat's Aid.

Ill probably get the Naya deck because I was making one anyway and I really like some of the new cards in it. And you get a lightning greaves! Really don't see 10 tokens being enough though, even if they are double sided...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Gonna order the 8 playable cards from C19 for the price of one precon. Seems like a win.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Is every magic product nothing but the ratio of the price of the singles over the msrp to you guys? This thread has an intense fascination with mtg finance that I don't understand. They're printing neat weird cards for the kitchen table format. Who says they have to cater to you weirdos anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Magic Underwear posted:

Is every magic product nothing but the ratio of the price of the singles over the msrp to you guys? This thread has an intense fascination with mtg finance that I don't understand. They're printing neat weird cards for the kitchen table format. Who says they have to cater to you weirdos anyway.

It's just a few of the more vocal members. Most of us understand their purpose and enjoy the few cards we want to try out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Personally, as far as these precons go, I don't care quite as much about the value of the cards as I do how well they work in high-level/competitive play because that's the style of EDH that I and the rest of my playgroup play. Last year didn't have much in the way of financial value but I bought the Aminatou and Estrid decks anyway because I felt the commander options were cool and I wanted some of the reprints in there. That was reason enough for me. I thought the Windgrace deck was a mess and didn't have anything I really wanted in it, and I had most of the cards in the Saheeli deck, so I didn't bother.

It's also why the only deck I care about from this set so far is the madness one because all the commanders seem cool. I'm not about to buy the others when the few cards I do want from them will not cost much and the rest does not interest me.

but that said

idk man maybe financial value is kind of a thing for people who enjoy collecting things and why we don't just play with bits of cut out printer paper with "Lightning Bolt" written on them

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The decks look cool to me :shrug:. I don’t really care about the value in them because I already have my own commander decks and wouldn’t be buying these anyway. They look like a fun starting point to playing commander, which I assume was the whole point of these decks in the first place. There’s a few cards that I might be interested in picking up, so that’s a nice bonus.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magic Underwear posted:

some people are dumbed up in the head and think that every single product has to be for them

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Which is the one that stores are going to mark up at least $10 more than the rest?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

So there's a hidden aspect to the value argument. If the cards in a Commander deck are not worth at least what it costs on the shelves, that means that not only are there not desirable reprints, there aren't any new cards good enough to catch up to MSRP. In that situation — even if you like the deck concept! it's OK to like non-competitive deck concepts! — you're better off taking your $40 and buying singles to put your own spin on the deck, including whichever $0.20 cards in the new deck genuinely caught your eye.

Not every Commander deck reprint needs to be Wurmcoil Engine. Not every new Commander card needs to be Flusterstorm or Teferi's Protection. But things like Grave Pact or Baleful Strix or the Confluences would go a long way toward avoiding the unintentional appearance of "this is for players who don't know better."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LifeLynx posted:

Which is the one that stores are going to mark up at least $10 more than the rest?

The only one anyone seems to want in whole or individual cards from is the madness one so

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
After seeing the full decklist, yeah, I'm in. Madness deck is cool.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

do you guys also get super mad at the continued existence of Planeswalker decks? Because thats basically what these are for EDH.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Moose posted:

do you guys also get super mad at the continued existence of Planeswalker decks? Because thats basically what these are for EDH.

I mean there was a guy complaining they wasted a good piece of art on one of the planeswalker deck synergy cards, so yes

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's not even the reprints for me. This is where they have room to make cards specifically for commander as a format and the last two years haven't seen much in the way of cards that make me go "hey, I'd like to play this in a deck". I've had more desire to take cards from Modern Horizons or War of the Spark and play commander with them than anything from C18 or C19.

It's a huge format and I'm sure people will buy the gently caress out of these decks like they do every year, but that doesn't mean they're good. WotC has made good precons in the past, either with new cards (essentially every year of commander products except for the last two) or with only reprints (whatever those standard ready "almost but not quite meta decks" series is called), so it's disappointing to see the product targeted toward the main format I play feeling like a wet fart.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A Moose posted:

Not really? Planeswalker decks are specifically made for new players and they make a point to not have anything of interest for competitive players while the commander precons have generally had a "something for everyone" feel to them, whether you're getting them because you're new and starting your collection (and they've, historically, had good reprints in there for that purpose), or whether you're a seasoned player who wants to try new commanders or playstyles.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What’s annoying is that established players don’t want to spend $40 or $130-$160 for a set when they can get the dozen cards they want for $50. When all wizards has to do to entice people is reprint some cards that badly need reprinting for the first time in 20 years.

How hard is it to find a spot for aura shards or rhystic study? I’m sure there’s like 50 cards worth $5-$10 that can fit into any commander deck with that color that they could have slipped a couple of into each deck. Each deck coming with a shock land would have been a huge selling point.

Then when wizards doesn’t sell enough decks and major retailers get stuck with unsold cases wizards decides the following year to make an announcement that they’re gonna take a break from commander because that’s what the consumer wants.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Framboise posted:

Not really? Planeswalker decks are specifically made for new players and they make a point to not have anything of interest for competitive players while the commander precons have generally had a "something for everyone" feel to them, whether you're getting them because you're new and starting your collection (and they've, historically, had good reprints in there for that purpose), or whether you're a seasoned player who wants to try new commanders or playstyles.

as a person who only plays limited, commander decks should have something for me, but they don't, so they most definitely do not have something for everyone

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
if we're splitting hairs like this then please allow me to append what i felt was obvious within context

"something for everyone when it comes to edh"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lone Goat posted:

as a person who only plays limited, commander decks should have something for me, but they don't, so they most definitely do not have something for everyone

lmao if you don't draft with commander precons with the basic lands taken out

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You could probably mash a bunch of precons together and make a cube or something

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Someone local is doing a limited commander tourney. I think it's 2 packs of dominaria, battlebond and War, then 6 more packs of your choice from the last few years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're not playing Jokulhaups you've forgotten the face of your father don't get what commander is about.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Framboise posted:

if we're splitting hairs like this then please allow me to append what i felt was obvious within context

"something for everyone when it comes to edh"

there's EDH cards in the EDH set. if you want singles, buy singles! the system works!!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Lone Goat posted:

there's EDH cards in the EDH set. if you want singles, buy singles! the system works!!

People want better EDH cards is the issue. This set has some interesting designs that are tuned so low on power that they're unimpressive in a battle of the precons and straight unplayable anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Voyager I posted:

People want better EDH cards is the issue. This set has some interesting designs that are tuned so low on power that they're unimpressive in a battle of the precons and straight unplayable anywhere else.

edh is the format where people get mad at you if you win, so if anything, bad edh cards is what the people want!