Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

This has almost certainly been answered already but if you have multiple A rank supports between your students what determines which paired endings you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gato posted:

This has almost certainly been answered already but if you have multiple A rank supports between your students what determines which paired endings you get?

If you look at a unit's stat screen it lists the 3 people they have the most support points with (total support points continue to accumulate after A rank). That's how it determines paired endings.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sylvain and Dorothea had an unexpectedly sweet a rank support and I kinda wish I had paired them up

Same! I had her paired up with Ferdinand until I realized how much Ferdinand was into Manuela and how much Sylvain and Dorothea are alike. Tried really hard for it. Then motherfucking Linhardt swoops in and marries Dorothea out of no where. Very uncool fellow lazy bro.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m almost certain Sylvain’s C-rank with Byleth is the same across both genders but I doubt it’s as funny as female Byleth, who hasn’t had a thought before becoming professor, walking through town and calling him a jerk

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just stopping in to say that Lysithea and Cyril’s A/A+ supports are insanely cute

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

KidDynamite posted:

Same! I had her paired up with Ferdinand until I realized how much Ferdinand was into Manuela and how much Sylvain and Dorothea are alike. Tried really hard for it. Then motherfucking Linhardt swoops in and marries Dorothea out of no where. Very uncool fellow lazy bro.

It was especially weird in my playthrough as (Edelgard/Linhardt A-rank) he'd already promised to join Edie's crest research lab thing and the text blurb makes it explicit he totally flaked out on that deal.

Also Ingrid/Mercedes's B-rank was surprisingly gay. I thought Ingrid was the mercilessly straight one. (Well, I suppose the lack of A-rank does indicate they're not getting together, but...)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flaking out of a promise sounds like a total Linhardt move tbf.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is Ashe good at anything other than being a nice earnest boy. He won me over with his personality and I like him a lot as a character but dude... you're level 18 and you have 11 strength

What the gently caress are you doing dude. I don't want to bench him but he's officially entered completely useless tier.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is Ashe good at anything other than being a nice earnest boy. He won me over with his personality and I like him a lot as a character but dude... you're level 18 and you have 11 strength

What the gently caress are you doing dude. I don't want to bench him but he's officially entered completely useless tier.

Any advanced class will fix his strength no problem

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That'll get fixed up when you get him to an advanced class (unless it's a magic class in case what on earth are you doing)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was trying to figure out how to do a "kill the least amount of potential playable characters" gimmick run and I think this is how you'd do it:
  • Pick Blue Lions, the house with the fewest recruitment restrictions. If you pick Golden Deer, you can't recruit Hubert or Dedue, and Black Eagles has additional recruitment restrictions. On Blue Lions, you obviously can't recruit Hubert, but you can recruit everyone from the Golden Deer (except Claude, obviously) and it's also the only route where you can recruit Gilbert.
  • Proceed to recruit every student you can in part 1. This will be much easier in NG+.
  • Make sure you also recruit all of the knights and both professors. You'll hit their recruitment requirements naturally, just make sure to talk to them.
Then just play through and either play on Casual or don't let anyone die in combat on Classic. If you do this, precisely two playable characters will die: Edelgard and Hubert. Claude survives, and you've recruited everyone else so they survive too. The reason you can't do this on Golden Deer is because you can't recruit Dedue and Dimitri will die, which unavoidably increases the death count.

Not something I'd recommend for a first playthrough (although it is possible to recruit everyone if you're super efficient with your professor level and free time points), but if anyone is hoping for a golden, everyone-is-happy ending, that's about as close as you're gonna get.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also you can grab Death Blow by mastering Brigand.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

Any advanced class will fix his strength no problem

I made him a fighter on his way to archer and that solved the problem pretty well. Ingrid still refuses to gain any strength but at least is doubling things.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The last few stages of this game as the Blue Lions are the opposite of fun. Stages that are full of ballista are incredibly lame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zore posted:

If you look at a unit's stat screen it lists the 3 people they have the most support points with (total support points continue to accumulate after A rank). That's how it determines paired endings.

In another strike against the UI it really shouldn't be on another screen. So much stuff is like that, god drat.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ethiser posted:

The last few stages of this game as the Blue Lions are the opposite of fun. Stages that are full of ballista are incredibly lame.

I’ve been warpskipping the bulk of Golden Deer’s pre-endgame chapters for the same reason which is why I raised the question of the distant counter-bestowing gambit earlier

Like being able to stop them from harassing my units after a long distance counterattack would go a long way in making lategame and endgame more fun

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Ethiser posted:

I geared my group to basically be two mobile groups and a core of infantry. I threw my cav at physical ranged and my fliers at magic ranged. My infantry would just bulldoze everything after that. It helped a bunch for dealing with that stuff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Isnt the golden deer ending happier though?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

Not something I'd recommend for a first playthrough (although it is possible to recruit everyone if you're super efficient with your professor level and free time points), but if anyone is hoping for a golden, everyone-is-happy ending, that's about as close as you're gonna get.

I played BL first because they interested me the least and this is the path I ended up on. And yeah, it was tough roping everyone in without NG+ but it is totally doable.

Just try and remember that Ferdinand and Caspar are limited to C support pre-skip, so you need Heavy Armor D+ and Brawling C to recruit them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Skippy McPants posted:

I played BL first because they interested me the least and this is the path I ended up on. And yeah, it was tough roping everyone in without NG+ but it is totally doable.

Just try and remember that Ferdinand and Caspar are limited to C support pre-skip, so you need Heavy Armor D+ and Brawling C to recruit them.

drat, guess I won’t be getting Caspar this playthrough

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Caspar, at least, is pretty easy. You can equip a Knolwege Gem and some Rusted gauntlets and get Byleth to a C in brawling in the span of a few battles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really the reason I said I wouldn't recommend doing a "recruit everyone" playthrough as your first run is just because I think facing former students as enemies later is compelling. But yeah, it can totally be done on a first playthrough if you really try and is likely pretty satisfying in its own way.

Tired Moritz posted:

Isnt the golden deer ending happier though?

I'm really just taking about minimizing how many potentially playable characters die, not really anything beyond that. If you want a playthrough where the bare minimum of students and knights die, Blue Lions is the route you have to do.

Though I guess I don't know about Edelgard's route. If you pick that route I know you can spare Flayn and Seteth in battle. What about the other church characters who leave/don't join? Are any of them required kills? If not, you could achieve a similarly small student/knight body count on Edelgard's route by recruiting everyone, sparing Claude, and avoiding fighting (or having Byleth spare) everyone else who you couldn't recruit. You'd just be killing Dimitri and Dedue instead of Edelgard and Hubert.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Really the reason I said I wouldn't recommend doing a "recruit everyone" playthrough as your first run is just because I think facing former students as enemies later is compelling. But yeah, it can totally be done on a first playthrough if you really try and is likely pretty satisfying in its own way.

I'm really just taking about minimizing how many potentially playable characters die, not really anything beyond that. If you want a playthrough where the bare minimum of students and knights die, Blue Lions is the route you have to do.

Though I guess I don't know about Edelgard's route. If you pick that route I know you can spare Flayn and Seteth in battle. What about the other church characters who leave/don't join? Are any of them required kills? If not, you could achieve a similarly small student/knight body count on Edelgard's route by recruiting everyone, sparing Claude, and avoiding fighting (or having Byleth spare) everyone else who you couldn't recruit. You'd just be killing Dimitri and Dedue instead of Edelgard and Hubert.

Only Rhea is required if you're also counting her.

And Cyril+Catherine would be almost impossible to not kill considering how dangerous they are and how they spawn on the final map, but if you were playing casual and just rushed Rhea down you don't need to kill them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many more gifts do I need to lure these lovely students to my house

Wait, that sounds bad

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zore posted:

Only Rhea is required if you're also counting her.

And Cyril+Catherine would be almost impossible to not kill considering how dangerous they are and how they spawn on the final map, but if you were playing casual and just rushed Rhea down you don't need to kill them

With all the extra runway NG+ provides, it's probably very doable even on hard.

RBA Starblade posted:

How many more gifts do I need to lure these lovely students to my house

Wait, that sounds bad

Not too many. Make sure you're giving them liked gifts when possible and it should only take 6-10 to reach B rank.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

OTOH, recruiting everyone in first game means that if you don't recruit everyone in NG+ it hurts even more :D

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Post in the spoiler thread if you want to talk about the endings, please

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

You might be able to get away with just killing Dimitri as I read somewhere you get a different ending cutscene to chapter 17 in the BE route if you defeat Dedue before he transforms.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I love the way Byleth emotes, they manage to be pretty expressive for a silent protagonist. In the A support with Annette, you can suggest that she take a nap on her day off, and Byleth even pantomimes falling asleep.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Said spoiler thread being here, by the way. is this in the op? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895657

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
or don't because the spoiler thread is everything and you can deal with the occasional black bar, lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arkeus posted:

Does anyone knows in detail how the stat works? I wonder how much dex influence crit, or spd avoid, or what the gently caress charm and lck actually do.
charm increases gambit damage. luck increases hit and avoid slightly, and more importantly each point of luck you have reduces the enemy's crit chance by 1.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So for a ng+ and shipping, if I only do the A ranks on people I want to ship together, is there no way for them to get a paired ending I don't want? Seeing as I've seen the supports don't really care about missing out on the 3 hit/avoid.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man warp owns. It can just straight up invalidate huge chunks of a map.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L7LPMjGwx8

only getting to use warp once or twice per map sounds like a fair balance in this game i guess

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've promised myself I'm not going to use stride + warp on my next playthrough because they just completely break the intended difficulty of maps in two.

That said between the continued ability to completely skip enemy phase and stride/warp, the speedrun is going to be insane.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It'd be nice to see some numbers on the probability of people switching over.
Say I've got B support and C in the skill then 15 in the stat - is it like 80% or is it more like 30 or 40?

In my current NG+ I recruited Lindhart incredibly fast with only C support, I'm not even sure what stuff he requires because he just agreed instantly. It'd be interesting to learn that was just a 5% chance and I got mega lucky. I guess it'd let you savescum if you felt the need.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minus Green posted:

I love the way Byleth emotes, they manage to be pretty expressive for a silent protagonist. In the A support with Annette, you can suggest that she take a nap on her day off, and Byleth even pantomimes falling asleep.

Sometimes that professor, she looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. Y'know the thing about her, she's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sydin posted:

I've promised myself I'm not going to use stride + warp on my next playthrough because they just completely break the intended difficulty of maps in two.

That said between the continued ability to completely skip enemy phase and stride/warp, the speedrun is going to be insane.

Honestly, even on hard, you have to go well out of your way to not break the game's difficulty curve in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i do like three to six skirmishes a month and i never have to worry about money again

but then i feel the enemies and formations and poo poo like ballista or monsters with three HP bars are more than obnoxious enough on missions that i can't be hosed with them, so stride/warpskip away