Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

my kinda ape posted:

Can I choose a Tech-priest enginseer from the admech book as an HQ choice in a IG detachment? This wouldn't interfere with the doctrine as techpriests are explicitly an exception to that but am I allowed to mix Imperium factions in a detachment?

My reading of the rulebook says that's fine since they're both "Imperium" but this thread on B&C says otherwise: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353012-engineseer-taken-as-guard-hq/

I can't find what they're talking about in the FAQ, am I missing it, was this a previous version that's no longer applicable, or are the people on B&C just dumb as poo poo?

edit: so is this battle brothers rule actually a thing or not? I don't see it in the current FAQs but I can't find any info on it going away or not.

The rule is in the Chapter Approved 2018 book, which consolidates all this kind of stuff prior to the April 2019 FAQ.

You have to have a more specific keyword in common than IMPERIUM, CHAOS, AELDARI, YNNARI or TYRANIDS in a detachment.

You can't take the Ad Mech Enginseer as an HQ for an Astra Militarum detachment because he doesn't have the ASTRA MILITARUM keyword. Only the Elites version in the Militarum book does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

Haha, no, not in this case. We're talking unassembled, unprimed marines lovingly organized in their KR case and flown halfway around the world to be unceremoniously dumped onto a table at LVO.

It was a beautiful moment in gaming history.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Corrode and Naramyth put their heads together and wrote 10,000 words on Imperial Guard / Astra Militarum tactics and strategy this week. Swing by and check it out:
https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-astra-militarum/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
You all have really been doing a fantastic job over there. Keep up the good work!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

The rule is in the Chapter Approved 2018 book, which consolidates all this kind of stuff prior to the April 2019 FAQ.

You have to have a more specific keyword in common than IMPERIUM, CHAOS, AELDARI, YNNARI or TYRANIDS in a detachment.

You can't take the Ad Mech Enginseer as an HQ for an Astra Militarum detachment because he doesn't have the ASTRA MILITARUM keyword. Only the Elites version in the Militarum book does.

Ah I don't have the CA book so that explains why it isn't in the current FAQ. Thanks!

And yeah I know enginseers are an elite choice but I wanted to use them to pay HQ tax in a supreme command detachment for a lord of war.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 9, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So when is the comprehensive and peer reviewed tactica for the new marine book gonna drop on goonhammer? 1 day after release? 2?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Eifert Posting posted:

So when is the comprehensive and peer reviewed tactica for the new marine book gonna drop on goonhammer? 1 day after release? 2?

The Friday after probably

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

my kinda ape posted:

Ah I don't have the VA book so that explains why it isn't in the current FAQ. Thanks!

And yeah I know enginseers are an elite choice but I wanted to use them to pay HQ tax in a supreme command detachment for a lord of war.

Yeah you can't do that because the unit entries are different.

Eifert Posting posted:

Codex review will be day of.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

tallkidwithglasses posted:

When I’m home I can get the specific color numbers, but it’s vallejo dark brown as a base, highlight by mixing in flesh tone 50:50, wash the whole thing sepia, pin wash black, re-highlight with 75:25 flesh tone:dark brown.

The best advice I found when reading tips and guides was that darker skin naturally has sharper contrasts than paler skin, so shadows should be darker and highlights should be lighter than what you’d do if you’re painting a honky.

Thank you. I will try this on one of the head options for my UItramarine commander and report back

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that GW is releasing this TWO WEEKS before one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Just SUPER HAPPY ABOUT IT. It's JUST GREAT

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When Goonhammer inevitably gets review/promo material I will happily provide my address for processing. We all know it'll have been my one 500 word painting article that tipped the scales.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that GW is releasing this TWO WEEKS before one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Just SUPER HAPPY ABOUT IT. It's JUST GREAT

Didn't NOVA already say you couldn't use it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Narrative has no deadline from what I've heard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah but GT is something like 30 days.

Also I read somewhere that NOVA is banning Skyshield landing pads on the ground that the rules do not explicitly permit friendly models to stand on them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
How is the Valdor tank hunter in 8th? Hot garbage or merely sub-optimal? I'm gonna use it either way because I have and love the model but it's good to know what to expect :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/09/space-marines-preview-sons-of-the-great-khangw-homepage-post-1/

Time to go fast in the name of the Emperor.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Just datasheets for Primaris Kor'sarro Khan and Khan on a Bike, the latter of which will probably just be equivalent to Captain on Bike from the 2017 SM codex. I wonder if that means the latter won't be in the 2019 main codex. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow when someone with an advanced copy posts a YouTube video that's just him paging through the entire book.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The trend of the conversation has me wanting to do a Sun Ra and his Arkestra kill team,

Also two successor chapters: Parliment, and Funkadelic. Their founding chapter? Unknown, all they will say is that they were founded by funk.

I am absolutely not the guy to pull them off, though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TheChirurgeon posted:

Corrode and Naramyth put their heads together and wrote 10,000 words on Imperial Guard / Astra Militarum tactics and strategy this week. Swing by and check it out:
https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-astra-militarum/

I appreciate these a lot. Its like having the 1d4chan tactics articles without the rape jokes.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Failson posted:

The trend of the conversation has me wanting to do a Sun Ra and his Arkestra kill team,

Also two successor chapters: Parliment, and Funkadelic. Their founding chapter? Unknown, all they will say is that they were founded by funk.

"Then I was in the Ultima Segmentum and I heard some funk with some main ingredients,
Like Roboute Guilliman, Blue Armours, Marneus Calgar.

It was cool...

But can you imagine Roboute in your funk?

Ho!

W-E-F-U-N-K

We funk!"

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I appreciate these a lot. Its like having the 1d4chan tactics articles without the rape jokes.

Our original reason to do these articles was exactly that. 1d4chan tactics but written well and without Chan humor.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Also nice that they have a more singular vision in each piece (or at least a smaller group of writers), rather than 1d4chan posts with one section being full of one guy's opinions, with another section filled out by someone completely different who sees things another way

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So I guess somebody got a copy of the August issue of White Dwarf and this was in the back?

EDIT: Can't make the image display. It's a thing that says "Next Month: Primaris Dark Angels." Maybe just follow this link.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 9, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

Thanks! That's basically 90% of the reason we started doing Goonhammer content

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah but GT is something like 30 days.

Also I read somewhere that NOVA is banning Skyshield landing pads on the ground that the rules do not explicitly permit friendly models to stand on them.

Yeah it's more about having to create reviews and tactics content for 7 books right as the event is happening and we're all painting/gearing up to travel

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's only three.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's only three.

I don't expect the others to be *that* far behind

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Stephenls posted:

So I guess somebody got a copy of the August issue of White Dwarf and this was in the back?

EDIT: Can't make the image display. It's a thing that says "Next Month: Primaris Dark Angels." Maybe just follow this link.

New Ultramarines AND Dark Angels? My wallet is going to be pretty thin :homebrew:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mef989 posted:

New Ultramarines AND Dark Angels? My wallet is going to be pretty thin :homebrew:

Alternately it’ll just be Index Astartes Dark Angels with a focus on how to incorporate the new Codex Space Marines Primaris units into a Codex Adeptus Astartes Dark Angels force, because they don’t use WD to preview new model ranges anymore.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks! That's basically 90% of the reason we started doing Goonhammer content

Agree this article was great. I'm new to 40k, and yet somehow find myself building 3 armies :P I have a good chunk of stuff for guard but wasn't sure how to finish things out and this article gave me some solid basis to understand what I want to build and why.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are the Venatari (the jump pack Custodes) scaled "correctly" relative to other Custodes (that is: are they sized like Custodes who just happen to be wearing Power Armor)?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

Alternately it’ll just be Index Astartes Dark Angels with a focus on how to incorporate the new Codex Space Marines Primaris units into a Codex Adeptus Astartes Dark Angels force, because they don’t use WD to preview new model ranges anymore.

And then SW, BA, and finally DW.

I hope you like Space Marines.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Schadenboner posted:

Are the Venatari (the jump pack Custodes) scaled "correctly" relative to other Custodes (that is: are they sized like Custodes who just happen to be wearing Power Armor)?
I don't think you have to worry about them not scaling to the rest of your army.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I should be super excited however it seems as though they removed the Moondrakken (bike) option for Kor’sarro.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Didn't NOVA already say you couldn't use it?

Eifert Posting posted:

Can someone help with a source on this info, as it would really have bearing on which army I’m bringing this year.

I’ve checked the newsletters and don’t see anything about it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Schadenboner posted:

It's hard to tell from the pictures, paint the ones you have up and put them next to the regular Custodes and see if they look similar?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And then SW, BA, and finally DW.

I hope you like Space Marines.

Mostly just the Raven Guard. I’ll get my minidex last and it’ll have the fewest new datasheets, but painting black well takes so long I won’t mind.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 9, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

It's hard to tell what you're asking, no custodes are wearing power armor. If you're concerned about scale, I'd suggest setting them next to your other custodes and taking a picture, I think we'd all like to see.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
White Scars and Dark Angels are the two bike-riding chapters. Just saying.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Stephenls posted:

As well was some of the new stuff, I was just about to pull the trigger on the components for a Primaris Azreal based on the awesome conversion someone posted here a few months back. Now there could be an official version on the way that might cost less, but we almost certainly won't know until the NOVA preview. Do I buy or not? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shockmaster
Jul 12, 2017

Failson posted:

Their claim to fame in the Imperium needs to be that they stopped a particularly wild Nurgle invasion led by the demon prince Maggot Brain.

This reminds me, when I made my Deathwatch Kill Team I took on the challenge of trying to make up a unique chapter for every marine (I figured all the guys from the named chapters had been taken), needless to say that's how I ended up with Brother Klyn'ton from the Atomic Dogs chapter. It always takes my opponents a turn or two to get the reference and when they do the "HOLY poo poo!" moment is always hilarious.