Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Wax Dynasty posted:

Where does it say that? I see this on Google's Pixel Help page:

No guaranteed updates doesn't mean guaranteed no updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ArgaWarga posted:

Speaking of terrible phone trends: slow, unreliable under glass fingerprint readers, especially given how good capacitive ones on the back (or wherever) are.

I was on that bandwagon with the OnePlus 6T, but the OnePlus 7 Pro has made me a believer. It's every bit as fast as the one on my P3. I'm neutral in where it's placed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It means we might be able to give you more updates after this date but we're not committing to trying to shove a square peg in a round hole if it comes down to it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wax Dynasty posted:

Where does it say that? I see this on Google's Pixel Help page:

Same page you got that table strangely enough. I didn't realize the table was there because I didn't scroll far enough

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Incessant Excess posted:

No guaranteed updates doesn't mean guaranteed no updates.

Understood. I wonder if this is the first time that Google has gone beyond its promised minimums for major updates? I know they didn't do more than the minimum two years for the 6P.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lol the Note 10+ 5g (are all 10+ 5g?) is $1700 in Australia.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

$1350 CAD on Rogers here, outright purchase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Man I checked the exchange and holy poo poo; I remember when the AUD was trading at the same value as CAD against the US dollar. You guys are getting hosed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit: ^ya :(

CLAM DOWN posted:

$1350 CAD on Rogers here, outright purchase.

The AUD/CAD exchange rate has plummeted since I moved, was at par in 2018. Yay

At least tax is included in the list price here though.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 8, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Here I am, opening the Awful Forums, seeing like 70 new posts in the Android Thread.

I thought Clam Down died or something but no, FFC chat.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Note 10+ 5g, Note 10+ and Note 10 are all different models, with the 10+ 5g being the most expensive by far. It's also not been launched yet.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

FFCs are good for video calling, which is something I actually do since I live in Vancouver and my sister lives in Myanmar.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm not personally offended by the existence of front facing cameras. I just don't want them compromising the screen continuity. Bezel or pop-up is fine. gently caress notches and hole punches though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Here I am, opening the Awful Forums, seeing like 70 new posts in the Android Thread.

Lmao

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wax Dynasty posted:

Why are the Android Q betas being built for the original Pixel? I thought they weren't getting any more version updates after two years, or did Google change that?

By the way you are right, the original Pixel only guaranteed two years for version updates and it was subsequent ones which got three.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Man I checked the exchange and holy poo poo; I remember when the AUD was trading at the same value as CAD against the US dollar. You guys are getting hosed.

Wait till you hear about the Australia Tax, where companies charge us more, exchange rate excluded, just because we live in Australia. Even digital content was priced up for us.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Wait till you hear about the Australia Tax, where companies charge us more, exchange rate excluded, just because we live in Australia. Even digital content was priced up for us.

Oh, I'm well acquainted with that one. Used to game with a few Aussies back in the day. :tipshat:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Didn't the last Nexus Devices pretty recently get dropped? At least the Pixel devices in a sense are so similar that maybe supporting them isn't quite as hard as previous devices.

Or were just lucky I guess.

Dad got a New in Box replacement Pixel XL for his OG Pixel that stopped taking a charge using the Extended warranty we got with it, and even being an older device now, once it was updated to the latest version and all setup, the phone still zips along as good as ever. Maybe Google is pulling an Apple with support length without the OS Performance penalty? :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

grack posted:

The Note 10+ 5g, Note 10+ and Note 10 are all different models, with the 10+ 5g being the most expensive by far. It's also not been launched yet.

FFCs are good for video calling, which is something I actually do since I live in Vancouver and my sister lives in Myanmar.

Ha I was wrong sort of, the 5G variant is a full $2000 AUD. My carrier (Telstra) is offering it at "4g prices," $1700. Such a deal.

And yeah international video calling is the only reason I use FFC too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Double post yay

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ha I was wrong sort of, the 5G variant is a full $2000 AUD. My carrier (Telstra) is offering it at "4g prices," $1700. Such a deal.

Wow, that exchange rate IS poo poo.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress telstra so much.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Some interesting tidbits from this article on Q navigation gestures:

quote:

The most interesting tidbit to me is this: users actually prefer the ergonomics of the traditional three-button Android navigation that was in place for years before Google switched things up (on the Pixel at least) last year with Android P. The buttons get a rating of 5.78 in ergonomics versus 5.39 for the Android Q gestures...

quote:

Beyond drawers, gestures are a big change for people and it took on average 1 - 3 days to adapt - in particular, users struggled with patterns like swiping right or left on a carousel and triggering Back.

In qualitative studies, we found that after an initial break-in period of 1 - 3 days, users became fluent and could consistently distinguish between these two gestures. The majority of users did not want to switch back to 3 button nav (even though that remains an option).

Google found that people used the back function less frequently during those first days of trying out Android Q and familiarizing themselves with it. “After that period, the average number of back presses [per day] ends up being the same as three-button and our P navigation.”

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

tino posted:

Since all point and shot cameras have pop out lens, I don't know why people think they will fail.

Apparently you've never had a camera with a pop-out lens because those motherfuckers gunk up all the time. I'm sure the phone versions will be a bit more reliable since they're not using telescopic tubing, expect it to eventually get lint/dirt/grime/cheeto dist built up to the point where the mechanism fails in some fashion.

After watching a couple of futuristic sci-fi shows, I notice a lot of them settle on transparent glass with a solid head/chin bar. So google is just pandering to the future yo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Didn't the last Nexus Devices pretty recently get dropped? At least the Pixel devices in a sense are so similar that maybe supporting them isn't quite as hard as previous devices.

Or were just lucky I guess.

Dad got a New in Box replacement Pixel XL for his OG Pixel that stopped taking a charge using the Extended warranty we got with it, and even being an older device now, once it was updated to the latest version and all setup, the phone still zips along as good as ever. Maybe Google is pulling an Apple with support length without the OS Performance penalty? :v:

It's because Pixels were the first Treble devices.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NPR Journalizard posted:

gently caress telstra so much.

That's the flip side, compared to Canadian carriers every Aussie carrier is a bargain. Telstra is $43 for 28 gigs for example while Rogers is $125 for 25 gigs.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

anakha posted:

Some interesting tidbits from this article on Q navigation gestures:

Google found that people used the back function less frequently during those first days of trying out Android Q and familiarizing themselves with it. “After that period, the average number of back presses [per day] ends up being the same as three-button and our P navigation.”
[/quote]

I've gotten used to the app switcher going to a gesture on the center button but I'm not sure I could get used to not having the back button

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Thinking about phone design trends, we already passed peaked design in my opinion with...a 2 year old Huawei?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

Thinking about phone design trends, we already passed peaked design in my opinion with...a 2 year old Huawei?

Hideous massive forehead and chin, and the cheap looking 2014-era flat display

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And what's up with those 90 degree corners? Sheesh.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The notch goes all the way across wtf

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
My favorite is P20 Pro back.

Front is one of those popup camera full screen phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That one of the ugliest phones I've ever seen

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I love the front branding, you know, just in case you forget who made your phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

I love the front branding, you know, just in case you forget who made your phone.

You know I was gonna comment on that. I haven't thought about it much but that's actually pretty common on phones other than the ones made by apple or google.

That would really annoy me, but then I'm the type of person to scrape off or put black tape over branding. I look at my monitor at least 8 hours as day every weekday, it's gotta be some kind of damaging to have the LG logo in view that long and that often. Like, why give them that much visibility in your life?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

"who-ah-we-I"

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

butt dickus posted:

You could buy metal button stick on for the various Galaxy Note home buttons. I used to buy them all the time to cover up the logo of whatever phone I own.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A better looking Pixel 4 than the Pixel 4

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That sure is a black rectangle and I can certainly whip myself into a froth preferring that black rectangle over other black rectangles.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That sure is a black rectangle and I can certainly whip myself into a froth preferring that black rectangle over other black rectangles.

All phones are black rectangles now (unless you order a silver, blue or red one) so we have to squabble over notches vs. bezels, size of notches and bezels, and rear mounted capacitive fingerprint scanners compared to in-display scanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - whipping myself into a froth over rectangles