Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Dangan Ronpa is on sale on Steam and I’ve heard it’s very good. Any tips? I’ve played through the prologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Despite the way it present itself, Dangan Ronpa it's pretty much just a visual novel with a few minigame sections, so I'm afraid there isn't really much in the way of gameplay advice to give. I watched a full LP of it here, but anything helpful I could tell you would either be plot or puzzle spoilers. Sorry.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's pretty good, don't look up plot stuff or character information at all, or even fanart, until you've completely finished the game, because otherwise you'll probably get spoiled on story beats or character traits or something.

I would...sort of...recommend you find a guide on the gift-giving, if you're so inclined to max out people's report cards and stuff. You can get some sweet skills that way. That said, again, spoilers abound. This is a pretty good guide with a bit of a spoiler that's been sort of censored. If you're concerned, then wait until after Chapter 2 to look at it.

But you'll get the chance to do gift stuff in NG+, so don't fret about doing the best in your first run. The bonuses are nice, but are by no means necessary.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Dangan Ronpa 1&2 you can't fully friend everyone in a normal playthrough. Trying for a couple of people can unlock extra skills. There's a weird alternative game mode if you want to do lots of hanging out and getting close to people once you beat the game.
Best way to get presents from Monomachine is theoretically one coin at a time.
Mostly just play the game to the end, then poke guides for the sub-games if you care.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

At risk of reigniting the recent conversation, a lot of people think the ending of Dangan Ronpa is very underwhelming but will recommend it anyways because the ride to get there is pretty fun. I went in expecting more and it soured me on the experience for a while.....but I went and played 2 and 3 eventually anyway.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

At risk of reigniting the recent conversation, a lot of people think the ending of Dangan Ronpa is very underwhelming but will recommend it anyways because the ride to get there is pretty fun. I went in expecting more and it soured me on the experience for a while.....but I went and played 2 and 3 eventually anyway.

Really? I was following the LP back before the game was translated and people were chomping at the bit for each new post given what was happening in the plot.

Edit: Eh not the place to discuss, I suppose. But I will say I think it's certainly worth playing. Or, to those who don't feel like playing it, I've been told the anime is pretty good too.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Morpheus posted:

Really? I was following the LP back before the game was translated and people were chomping at the bit for each new post given what was happening in the plot.

Edit: Eh not the place to discuss, I suppose. But I will say I think it's certainly worth playing. Or, to those who don't feel like playing it, I've been told the anime is pretty good too.

That seems entirely consistent with the post you quoted.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Edit: Not relevant, nevermind.

I'm going to be playing Bloodstained soon, anything to keep in mind? Lots of stuff on the wiki, should've checked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The ending is very sudden and doesn't answer many question, but I do agree that it's a pretty gripping story if you go into it blind.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Some of my entries were badly formatted or contained errors, and some of the games have had updates that changed info in their entries.

Regarding rollbacks, that may be sufficient; sorry, I don't know wiki software very well. It's my impression that almost everyone uses the same collective account and login, and that felt vulnerable somehow.

It's probably not good practice. But there's a page that shows all of the changes the contrib account has made, and I can roll back any of them to a previous version, as someone else said.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any tips when just starting out with Endless Space 2? I've only played Endless Legend and given how complex some of the races are there - anyone willing to point me in a newbie-friendly direction?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

anilEhilated posted:

Any tips when just starting out with Endless Space 2? I've only played Endless Legend and given how complex some of the races are there - anyone willing to point me in a newbie-friendly direction?

The megathread is a good resource for questions. I think the wiki recommendations are good for easing into it. I cut my teeth on it playing a very large map on medium difficulty as the Sophons. The game ran much longer than it should have but it helped me get a good feel for the systems of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just to check - the Wiki recommendations for the first game still apply?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yes, I’m pretty sure they are actually for the second game despite the page title

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Eat The Rich posted:

The Fire Emblem tips are great. Mutant Year Zero just released on the Switch. I'm really excited to play it and does anyone have any of those sweet, sweet tips?

Don't know if you're still looking for tips, but there was some conversation about this game on page 753. Also I heard the switch version runs kind of crappy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Olaf The Stout posted:

Definitely don't play mass effect andromeda though.

it's ok if you pick it up cheap, it's a bunch of solid (if slightly bland) space adventuring. Most of the net rage was how technically broken it was and how derpy the default female character looked iirc and that's all been fixed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sebmojo posted:

it's ok if you pick it up cheap, it's a bunch of solid (if slightly bland) space adventuring. Most of the net rage was how technically broken it was and how derpy the default female character looked iirc and that's all been fixed.

Yeah when I initially asked about it I had picked it up for like :10bux:. The game was... fine. Totally not worth 2 pages of "don't play it. What!? I'm giving honest advice!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're planning keep making snide comments like that for the next twenty pages then I have the feeling that this is going to get very tiresome very quickly.

quote:

Most of the net rage was how technically broken it was and how derpy the default female character looked iirc and that's all been fixed.
Dunno about that, the facial animations sure are as derpy as ever. Well, it's not as bad as it was in the alpha footage, so there's that... but I'm not entirely sure "fixed" is quite the right word for it, lol. Honestly, though, I almost find that an argument in its favour. Mass Effect Andromeda is an incredibly silly game and if you treat it as a cheesy B-movie production (boom mike edging into the shot and all) you can have a lot of janky fun with it.

Just don't expect it to be up to the standard of the original trilogy.

...did anyone else just get the weirdest sense of deja vú?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Mass Effect Andromeda was one of my favorite games I played last year. Should assume that anybody coming to this place has already made the decision to play and just give them what they're looking for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My favorite game of last year was
Celeste
- Play with a d-pad or keyboard keys, if at all possible. You'll be unnecessarily hamstringing yourself if you try to play with an analog stick.
- Don't ragequit, take a break! The game has a quicksave function for a reason. Use it freely.
- Once you beat a level once, you can go back between the sections and see exactly which strawberries you got or missed. All they affect is a small bit of the ending.
- Switching between screens in mid-jump will refresh your dash along with everything else. Get creative with this!
- There are higher-difficulty techniques you may have heard about from speedruns. Hyperdashing, spike jumping, etc. Don't worry, the game will teach you those when you need them.

= Further Challenges =
- Save these for if you start really wanting to dig into the game, or after you've beaten the main game and want more.
- Feel free to walk away at any time. Don't keep trying just for some arbitrary milestone of completion.
- Along with the strawberries, each level also has a hidden tape that lets you get to a harder version of that level, the B-Side. Beating a B-Side gets you a Crystal Heart, which you will need collect four of if you want to play the World 8 A-Side.
- A-Sides also each contain a Crystal Heart, all of which you will need as well if you want to unlock the World 8 B-Side. These ones are hidden in much more obscure places, however, most of which will require some serious puzzling, observation, and a bit of "huh, I wonder if that would work." (Or you can look it up, I guess.)
- Once you've completed all of that, congratulations, you've earned the right to challenge... the C-Sides. This is where all those speed running skills you got told not to worry about before become relevance. Good luck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 11, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wrt Celeste, I had nothing but trouble with the jump mechanics. Sometimes it felt like Castlevania with no air control, sometimes it didn't. What's the deal there?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I found it incredibly finicky on Xbox one. I didn’t regret using the difficulty settings in the slightest for the B sides and above.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Celeste tip: switching between screens in mid-jump will refresh your dash along with everything else. Yes, this does mean you can exploit it to get to places you might think you oughtn't.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

- Along with the strawberries, each level also has a hidden tape that lets you get to a harder version of that level, the B-Side. Beating a B-Side gets you a Crystal Heart, which you will need collect four of if you want to play the World 8 A-Side.

There's a correction to be made here that I've done in the quote above, but just in case it takes four hearts to unlock 8-A; 7-A is the final level of the main game and has no special requirements beyond clearing 6-A.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wrt Celeste, I had nothing but trouble with the jump mechanics. Sometimes it felt like Castlevania with no air control, sometimes it didn't. What's the deal there?
What kinds of problems were you having?

AweStriker posted:

There's a correction to be made here that I've done in the quote above, but just in case it takes four hearts to unlock 8-A; 7-A is the final level of the main game and has no special requirements beyond clearing 6-A.
Fixed it!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Not relevant, nevermind.

I'm going to be playing Bloodstained soon, anything to keep in mind? Lots of stuff on the wiki, should've checked.

I would like to add one thing to the stuff on the wiki for Bloodstained: Techniques are tied to specific weapons, but when you master a technique by using it enough times, it can be used with any weapon of the original weapon's type.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

What kinds of problems were you having?

Fixed it!

Jump angle was inconsistent. Sometimes she would jump straight up, sometimes at a super shallow angle, sometimes at a sharp 45. The controls felt "sticky" and unresponsive. I'm sure it is just the mechanics of the game, but I couldn't get my head around it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jump angle was inconsistent. Sometimes she would jump straight up, sometimes at a super shallow angle, sometimes at a sharp 45. The controls felt "sticky" and unresponsive. I'm sure it is just the mechanics of the game, but I couldn't get my head around it.
It depends on the speed you're moving at, if that helps.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would like to add one thing to the stuff on the wiki for Bloodstained: Techniques are tied to specific weapons, but when you master a technique by using it enough times, it can be used with any weapon of the original weapon's type.

it's on there:
Mastering a Weapon Skill will allow you to use it with any of that weapon's type. For example, mastering Kukri's Assassinate will allow you to backstab with any dagger.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Going back to Danganronpa... Should I care that much about who exactly I spend time with during Free Time? It looks like I get skills for leveling up relationships, kinda like S. Links in Persona? Should I try to hang out with specific people or just do what I feel like?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some extra skills are unlocked at different points (Or at Max rank in DR2) but mostly either see who you think you have a good present for, or who you want to know about.
Social progress and presents and such are kept if go and replay chapters (and/or play the postgame thing)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Going back to Danganronpa... Should I care that much about who exactly I spend time with during Free Time? It looks like I get skills for leveling up relationships, kinda like S. Links in Persona? Should I try to hang out with specific people or just do what I feel like?

Ehhhhh do what you feel like. While some of the skills are nice, it's impossible to know (without spoilers) who is going to die in a chapter. So, try to hang out with someone as much as possible, and if you can get their skill, great. If not, oh well. Don't fret too much about who you hang out with, just chill with whoever seems cool and hope they survive long enough for you to max out your relationship with them. There's a sort of side game thing unlocked after you beat the game that's mostly unrelated to the story that allows you to get their skills and stuff so it's not like you're really missing stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, some skills are more useful than others, but none are really essential enough that it should affect your decisions more than the question of which character you'd actually like to get to know better.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Being so close to learning someone's secret and then having them die is... very in theme.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

it's on there:
Mastering a Weapon Skill will allow you to use it with any of that weapon's type. For example, mastering Kukri's Assassinate will allow you to backstab with any dagger.
Oops, looked right past that. My bad!

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Were you playing with a d-pad or analog stick? The only complaint I've heard people make about Celeste's controls were in regards to them playing using the stick.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Heat Signature protip: Turns out that the terrible void of space is a weapon, one that you always have with you. It is also a non-lethal weapon, at least for a little while anyway. Use this to abduct targets when you are dumb and forgot to take along a non-lethal weapon like dumb me who is dumb. That one shuttle that can pick up spaced targets from a distance is probably a good idea to have for this.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Heat Signature protip: Turns out that the terrible void of space is a weapon, one that you always have with you. It is also a non-lethal weapon, at least for a little while anyway. Use this to abduct targets when you are dumb and forgot to take along a non-lethal weapon like dumb me who is dumb. That one shuttle that can pick up spaced targets from a distance is probably a good idea to have for this.

This is also wonderful when you're dealing with someone who has a shield and you lack any crash-type items but you have a window nearby. Space is ace.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Heat Signature isn't part of the Defenestration Trilogy for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Octopath Traveler - I just realized this now (sorry if it was obvious to others), but for a long time I noticed that if you press the path skill button when away from NPCs you get a tiny menu that lets you get rid of any NPCs you guided/allured. What I just found out now is that with H'aanit in the party doing this lets you check what monsters you have captured outside combat! Not the most intuitive way to do it but I'll take what I can get.