Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

chitoryu12 posted:

9 calories per serving is basically adding textured air to your meal. That's not pasta, it's pretending to be food.

It's konnyaku, it's popular in Japan and parts of China. Made from a starch powder of some weird flower root. People eat it for the weird rubbery texture but also has the benefit of being essentially zero calorie since it can't be digested.

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

I seriously have yet to experience this fish stink. The texture is more like meat.

Konnyaku is flavorless so it often has seaweed added to it to give it something, that's where the fishiness comes from. That's the more greenish-gray kind, the white kind doesn't have any additives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cranberry mac and cheese

:randno:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
One more "don't waste anything" recipe from 1936

There are more recipes that are unusual, but I'm not sure whether they fit this thread - things like sea moss blanc mange, sauteed cucumbers, spaghetti souffle, peas-and-lettuce - is there another thread where they'd go better, or should I put them here?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So you're saying that if I oversalt something I can just add a bit of sugar to nullify it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No no, pepper is the opposite of salt, come on

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

There are more recipes that are unusual, but I'm not sure whether they fit this thread - things like sea moss blanc mange, sauteed cucumbers, spaghetti souffle, peas-and-lettuce - is there another thread where they'd go better, or should I put them here?

:justpost:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So you're saying that if I oversalt something I can just add a bit of sugar to nullify it?

It can help some, but generally no. It's more that if you are serving something salty, such as say an oyster, you can use sweet elements to balance it out.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The trick i know that helps if you oversalt something is to add some potatoes to it. They suck up some of the salt. It wouldn't work with like a salad but it works with soups/stews/sauces and it only works kinda well.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

DiggityDoink posted:

The trick i know that helps if you oversalt something is to add some potatoes to it. They suck up some of the salt. It wouldn't work with like a salad but it works with soups/stews/sauces and it only works kinda well.

What if it's a potato salad?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

d3lness posted:

What if it's a potato salad?

Continue adding potatoes until desired result is achieved.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Years ago when I moved out of my parents house my Grandmother gave me a wonderful gift. She knew I liked to cook so she gave me a beautiful, Collector's Edition book:

With over 1600 "kitchen tested" recipes its full of wonderful things. For your sake I've opened it to an arbitrary page and selected the two most wonderful items on there:

What could be better than cornish game hens microwaved for 45 minutes while coated in a mix of cinnamon-sugar and french onion soup mix?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Grundma posted:

Years ago when I moved out of my parents house my Grandmother gave me a wonderful gift. She knew I liked to cook so she gave me a beautiful, Collector's Edition book:

With over 1600 "kitchen tested" recipes its full of wonderful things. For your sake I've opened it to an arbitrary page and selected the two most wonderful items on there:

What could be better than cornish game hens microwaved for 45 minutes while coated in a mix of cinnamon-sugar and french onion soup mix?

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME loving BRANDING, AMERICA!? I really want to see the worlds best chefs try and make something good/passable from lovely name brand food kits/products.

Can imagine this cheese never melting in, just sitting there sweating. Sweaty-mac becomes an overnight sensation in Kansas or some poo poo.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I need to know what the turkey curry recipe is, because you know a cookbook with such powerful boomer energy would never use a Terrorism Spice like curry powder.

e: lol at a cookbook where every meat is already fully cooked

redgubbinz has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Aug 8, 2019

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

LifeSunDeath posted:

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME loving BRANDING, AMERICA!? I really want to see the worlds best chefs try and make something good/passable from lovely name brand food kits/products.

I opened to another page and theres such great things. You know what the ideal compliment to fresh fruit and yogurt is? Mix in a can of tuna!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Grundma posted:

I opened to another page and theres such great things. You know what the ideal compliment to fresh fruit and yogurt is? Mix in a can of tuna!

Sadviche

e: Oh gently caress I love how all the brand names in the recipes are CAPITALIZED, in case your dumb consumer brain needed a loving reminder.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

I need to know what the turkey curry recipe is, because you know a cookbook with such powerful boomer energy would never use a Terrorism Spice like curry powder.

e: lol at a cookbook where every meat is already fully cooked

Amazingly enough it calls for an entire tablespoon of it! Only the best for your cubes of BUTTERBALL turkey

Edit: Each page brings new wonders:

Grundma has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 8, 2019

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Oh, I don't like those 'ethnic' recipes, I'll just use a tablespoon of celery salt instead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I'm actually kind of surprised they make you cook the sauce instead of buying Name Brand (tm) Jarred Bear sauce or whatever. Still sounds kind of gross though.

also whats a toast point? a corner of a toast slice?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

yeah I eat rear end posted:

also whats a toast point? a corner of a toast slice?

It's just toast cut corner to corner instead of side to side, with the crusts removed before toasting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Burgog Magog

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Judging from the Newspeak alone, this Nineteen Eighty-Four sequel sucks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BURGOG sounds like a lesser known Lovecraftian horror.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Aug 9, 2019

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Pile of gently caress

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I see your Nightmare Awoken and raise you an Unspeakable Horror!

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I see your Nightmare Awoken and raise you an Unspeakable Horror!

O sweet Christ no

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

O sweet Christ no

I think doctorphotograph might have doctored this photograph

That's clearly mayomole

E: Guacannaise?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/psburton/status/1159461744856616960?s=21

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How do you wash a cardboard sleeve? That's grossss

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

spankmeister posted:

How do you wash a cardboard sleeve? That's grossss

https://twitter.com/PSBurton/status/1159462152899420161?s=19

Still not great

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Shoved the VHS into a magnum condom, wetted it with edible lube, sprinkled it with nonedible glitter.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

mestre da sushi

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

John Cusack and Diane Lane in Mayomust Burgog

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grundma posted:

French onion soup mix is incredibly versitile actually. One of my only dinners I ate when I first moved out on my own was beef roast with a can of coke and a pack of french onion soup mix in the slow cooker.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I mayomust burgog yet I have no mouth

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I would rather take an ashtray because at least it can be cleaned.

Super hipster cred for using a thin tin ashtray from McDonald's from the 80s when smoking was allowed in stores.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

"It's no less chicken...It's paste!"