Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

After Titan, there's a fairly important side quest in Upper La Noscea, at the hot springs camp. It involves a certain man who has booked rest time at the springs despite not being a military veteran.

It's worth seeking out and doing even if you want to rush to continue the main story.

I just finished up Titan (well worth the feast quests imo) and don't want to click the spoiler; what's the quest name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It’s safe to click and doesn’t really need to be in a spoiler tag, imo. That said I don’t recall the quest name myself.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Back to why we're rejoining back to the Source instead of any of the shards, I think at one point Emet-Selch either outright says or outright implies that Zodiark and Hydaelyn are both located completely in the Source and not in any of the shards, just their power. That was the point of the sundering - to stop Zodiark from being able to do whatever he does by stripping him of his power and distributing it amongst the shards without his consciousness being able to control them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Today I am a Red Mage.

Doing Hard mode Titan, I jumped in to do my big melee combo, finished it, Displacemented the hell out of there ... and gracefully backflipped right off the god drat platform and into my death.

E: we wiped, I said "I'll try not to suicide this time" and then promptly did it again. I guess there's just no backflipping in this fight.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 9, 2019

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Today I am a Red Mage.

Doing Hard mode Titan, I jumped in to do my big melee combo, finished it, Displacemented the hell out of there ... and gracefully backflipped right off the god drat platform and into my death.

E: we wiped, I said "I'll try not to suicide this time" and then promptly did it again. I guess there's just no backflipping in this fight.

If it makes you feel better, in the ~20 times I've done Titan through MSQ/Trials Roulette/soloing EX, I've fallen off the platform every run but twice. Half of those as RDM backflipping off the platform. Consider it a rite of passage.

On the other hand, if you can't avoid the knockback at all and Surecast is on CD, I discovered a few days ago on Titan EX that Corps a Corps will save you if you haven't actually left the platform yet.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Today I am a Red Mage.

I've done this before but reflexively Elusive Jumping out of a stacked Weight of the Land

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

StrixNebulosa posted:

"hi I'm a fake who can't even break a rock without cheating" - this was stupid and a waste of my time. If you must preserve it, make it a standalone sidequest where you're asked by the miller to test whether his axemen for hire is really strong or not.

This is a relatively minor point but this quest actually tutorializes the mechanics of Titan for you. It blew my mind when someone first brought that up.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

NuclearPotato posted:

I just finished up Titan (well worth the feast quests imo) and don't want to click the spoiler; what's the quest name?

CuddlyZombie posted:

It’s safe to click and doesn’t really need to be in a spoiler tag, imo. That said I don’t recall the quest name myself.

I just went to look it up, and it's called "The Monster of Bronze Lake."

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally hit MCH 80 last night. Automaton Queen is amazing. It does a ton of damage and it stays out twice as long as the Rook does.

80 MSQ spoilers:

i340 gear for free after finishing the role quest? Yeah, that's awesome.

The descent down from the Ondo village all the way to the hidden city feels very "Final Fantasy final dungeon" and I love it.

I had to log off after taking the elevator down and talking with a Robed Giant. This is insane and I can't wait to see more.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmm. How long is ARR vs Heavensward vs the other expansions? Are they all like 50+ jrpgs?
As someone who's compelled to do every sidequest because the lore, is levelling multiple jobs because the wasted experience, and who hit Stormblood fairly recently: I found Heavensward took a bit less time than ARR but not too much. The big difference was that ARR took me a long time because it had a lot of filler, and Heavensward took me a long time because it had a lot of good stuff. The main quest by and large focuses on introducing important places and on stuff actually happening, while the side quests do a good job at building out the lore - there's nothing like the banquet. There's also a nice feature where (minor mechanics spoilers) each zone has a few longer sidequests which are necessary to unlock flight - generally the first quest in the chain gives you the Flight McGuffin and the subsequent ones give you level-appropriate gear which you can use or sell for a fuckton of gil. Dungeons like Haukke Manor that have a cool concept but don't really fit into the main plot get moved into these sidequest chains rather than being shoehorned into the MSQ.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Der Shovel posted:

Today I am a Red Mage.

That's the kind of poo poo that just makes me shamequit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

A smile better suits a hero.....

Even if he hadn't said it I'd have still picked it anyway since that was the whole point of the forced laughing scene from FFX

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You don't know shame unless you've been a HW Bardmage who did the stutter-step up to Sophia Ex only to Repelling Shot off the edge of the arena accidentally

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pumpinglemma posted:

As someone who's compelled to do every sidequest because the lore, is levelling multiple jobs because the wasted experience, and who hit Stormblood fairly recently: I found Heavensward took a bit less time than ARR but not too much. The big difference was that ARR took me a long time because it had a lot of filler, and Heavensward took me a long time because it had a lot of good stuff. The main quest by and large focuses on introducing important places and on stuff actually happening, while the side quests do a good job at building out the lore - there's nothing like the banquet. There's also a nice feature where (minor mechanics spoilers) each zone has a few longer sidequests which are necessary to unlock flight - generally the first quest in the chain gives you the Flight McGuffin and the subsequent ones give you level-appropriate gear which you can use or sell for a fuckton of gil. Dungeons like Haukke Manor that have a cool concept but don't really fit into the main plot get moved into these sidequest chains rather than being shoehorned into the MSQ.

This is the best possible response and I didn't know I could be more hyped for HW but here I am!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

RPZip posted:

This is a relatively minor point but this quest actually tutorializes the mechanics of Titan for you. It blew my mind when someone first brought that up.

How so? I honestly don't remember, it's been literally years.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's the kind of poo poo that just makes me shamequit.

Nah, I've been living with self-deprecating humour as my coping mechanism for years, I just make fun of it.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Ignoring the boss to deal with the bombs (or the rock gaol)?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Oh poo poo (HW spoilers) I was wondering if Y'shtola was blind or not. I didn't remember her eyes very well from ARR but they looked funny. But now I also kinda wonder why nobody else brought that up? It's not like nobody else has been looking at her.

Also Great Gubal is a great dungeon and possibly my favorite so far, man. And as much as I'm enjoying Dancer I feel a little silly with my jester glamor in cutscenes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Squidtentacle posted:

Oh poo poo (HW spoilers) I was wondering if Y'shtola was blind or not. I didn't remember her eyes very well from ARR but they looked funny. But now I also kinda wonder why nobody else brought that up? It's not like nobody else has been looking at her.

Also Great Gubal is a great dungeon and possibly my favorite so far, man. And as much as I'm enjoying Dancer I feel a little silly with my jester glamor in cutscenes.

Y'shtola being blind is new. Side effect of getting trapped in the lifestream

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Squidtentacle posted:

i think everyone was just being polite to her

and imo embrace the silly, like after switching to viera the one thing I miss is ruining cutscene gravitas with full witch cosplay

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I really don't like the theory that Amaurot brought its own destruction and was totally dysfunctional below the surface. Trying to find some Gotcha against them feels like missing the point extremely

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

With the 5.05 changes to MNK making it easier than ever to retain stacks, is there like any place you actually use Tornado kick now outside of mitigating a Perfect Balance gently caress up or something? I haven't dipped into savage this tier so I'm not sure if there's situations there that make it useful (I'm guessing the E1 transition is one...If that's in savage mode that is) but I can't think of times I'd want to do that rather than form shifting during movement.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Its me, im that 50th percentile BLM floating in 2nd-3rd in my teams charts. I'm really having to fight muscle memory with regards to Thunder 3 and Xenoglossy right now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BrightWing posted:

Its me, im that 50th percentile BLM floating in 2nd-3rd in my teams charts. I'm really having to fight muscle memory with regards to Thunder 3 and Xenoglossy right now.

big :same:

last e1s clear i was 9%. i did real good first few runs, but on our clear run i hosed up everything and landed at the bottom lmao

e: also still blizzard 3 instead of despair sometimes

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

Y'shtola being blind is new. Side effect of getting trapped in the lifestream

I know, I meant like... Tataru helped her get her new outfit on. We've been talking to her face-to-face for a while since she came back. You'd think someone else would notice.

UHD posted:

i think everyone was just being polite to her

and imo embrace the silly, like after switching to viera the one thing I miss is ruining cutscene gravitas with full witch cosplay

Yeah I think that makes the most sense, honestly. It's a hard enough situation she's coming back from and going into already.

And don't get me wrong, I'm still in my getup, it's just weird after being a samurai/dark knight for so long in these cutscenes.

Edit: gdi

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

With the 5.05 changes to MNK making it easier than ever to retain stacks, is there like any place you actually use Tornado kick now outside of mitigating a Perfect Balance gently caress up or something? I haven't dipped into savage this tier so I'm not sure if there's situations there that make it useful (I'm guessing the E1 transition is one...If that's in savage mode that is) but I can't think of times I'd want to do that rather than form shifting during movement.

looking at the fastest clearing parse of e4s, the mnk there used tornado kick twice for 0.5% of their total damage, one of which was presumably the last action of the fight
so basically, no it should probably be deleted or reworked

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Squidtentacle posted:

I know, I meant like... Tataru helped her get her new outfit on. We've been talking to her face-to-face for a while since she came back. You'd think someone else would notice.

For what it's worth, aside from her eyes looking different, she doesn't really seem blind. And Matoya explained why.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is the best possible response and I didn't know I could be more hyped for HW but here I am!

There is also a lot of good side stuff in the 2.x patch content, sure the MSQ for that part is massive but I would recommend doing the Crystal Tower raid series (easily pubbied through the DF, so don't worry about getting a group together if you don't want to) and the Hildibrand side-quest series is a hilarious farce with cartoony cutscenes (that are pretty much the animation team flexing now that they have time to actually do bespoke animations) and alot of touching moments.

There is also Coils, the 8-man raid series which has some pretty important (but still side) story stuff and you get to hang around with Alisaie, Alphinaud's sister, who you won't see show up again otherwise for a very long time. Coils very much requires a group though, as it's not in the Normal Raid Roulette that keeps the other 8-mans populated. If your group turns off level syncing and you go in with some 70s or 80s just to see the story you'll be fine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

I really don't like the theory that Amaurot brought its own destruction and was totally dysfunctional below the surface. Trying to find some Gotcha against them feels like missing the point extremely

Even emet selch admits it during his narration of the dungeon run.

Sorry but utopia literally means Not A Place.

The exact proportion of how much was just them and how much was external factors may vary but, well, a lot of it actually was just them.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

somepartsareme posted:

:same:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Even emet selch admits it during his narration of the dungeon run.

Sorry but utopia literally means Not A Place.

The exact proportion of how much was just them and how much was external factors may vary but, well, a lot of it actually was just them.

I don't quite agree with this. There's a difference between an external calamity messed with their creation magic and it suddenly went out of control, which is the scenario presented to us; and another hypothetical where say the rampant frivolous use of creation magic caused the laws of reality to break down. There is still some room for debate which actually happened, and I think the first scenario does portray the ancients as victims rather than architects as their own demise. It's perfectly true that our primary source on this is Emet-Selch himself who cannot be considered trustworthy and that it's a pretty solid fit for the genre and storytelling in general for man to be the cause of his own downfall, but that's not explicitly stated at this point and is still speculation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I feel just the opposite: if Amaurot really was as flawless as claimed, that would run counter to the whole theme of the expansion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

somepartsareme posted:

Are you familiar with the themes of the book that

The name Amaurot is taken from? :v:

Amaurot bringing it's own destruction and being a fake utopia is literally the point. Emet-Selch is chasing a dream that never was. He is the Ur-Conservative.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
It doesn't have to be completely flawless, but the point is to show you what the Ascians motivation is and what we as the protagonist are actively working against. We can say it isn't worth killing "lesser" people in the present to bring back a utopia of the past, but it kind of cheapens it to be like "wlel, that place probably sucked anyway"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
MY general impression is that Amaurot didn’t bring about its own destruction, but was so accustomed to being able to shrug off problems because everybody there was an immortal master wizard that when a problem came by that it couldn’t shrug off, it collapsed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean the Amaurot dungeon seems to make it clear that even if the initial catastrophe was external, Amaurotine creation magic is so sensitive to the emotional state of the wielder that the succeeding death spiral was internal.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah the impression I got was that basically, a society built around limitless power of creation is pretty much as good as advertised, but eventually someone or something hosed up and made some horrible monster, which caused some degree of havoc, but then the next time someone had the idea of making a new pet or toy for little Adam Amaurotine their mind wandered back to the news story they saw last week about the three-hundred foot tall monster a continent away and whoops, now Fido has three heads and breathes fire, and now everyone on the planet is thinking about that too, and oh god whats going on why are all these horrible monsters showing up throw more creation magic at them, surely that will fix it (it won't).

They make a point of reminding you that distractions when you're working your innate creation magic can have some unexpected results, after all. The question then is what started the snowball rolling downhill; was it generic Utopian hubris, a single maladjusted individual, the collective resentment of some repressed underclass, or just some cosmic twist of fate in an MMO where cosmic twists of fate never seem happen for no reason? Who knows!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Remember, there was a bureau just to manage what creative patterns were and weren't suitable for public use and one guy sent us to play with his little slime toys that nearly killed us and was only mildly annoyed that they were so dangerous. And he thought we were a child.

Edit: beaten by spoilers

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I was thinking about ShB lore and enemies from a gameplay point and aren't we supposed to be extremely powerful compared to almost everything in First because our soul from Source has been through seven rejoinings (seven or eight times as strong as base reflections in shards) while enemies in First are still only at 1/13th of original soul-strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dwesa posted:

I was thinking about ShB lore and enemies from a gameplay point and aren't we supposed to be extremely powerful compared to almost everything in First because our soul from Source has been through seven rejoinings (seven or eight times as strong as base reflections in shards) while enemies in First are still only at 1/13th of original soul-strength?

1/14th, the source is still part of the equation and the stuff lost to the void still exists as well even if it's prrrrobably unobtainable now

But also to answer your question, yes. And that's also why we're so powerful on the source as well. Because not everyone on the source is a fragmented soul.

also further speculation for future patches: I think the fact that we're 9/14ths Ascian now is going to play into how we get everyone back to the Source