Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Praying for Epic to buy SQ42 exclusivity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tokamak posted:

Can you imagine that dumpster fire?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tokamak posted:

That would be utterly amazing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can you imagine that dumpster fire?

Meh. Urge to polish Croberts' knob >> hate flavor of the month.

Of course I was never against the Epic store itself, and now that they have done right yadda yadda

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Fidelitious posted:

Out of curiosity I looked up some airplane speeds. The cruising speed of a 747-400 (introduced in 1988 by the way!) is well over 200 m/s.
Now I don't know how often parts are replaced are on a 747 but I'm imagining that 1000 years of progress would allow for some improvements to cruising speed and durability in atmospheric flight.

I always see stewardesses climbing out to the engine nacelle during flight to repair a blown fuel pump, don't you?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Actually I do not, what was this social awkward fiasco?

Cripes, what a game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6205&perpage=40#post495452234

It's a... Long read. The last paragraph has the part I'm talking about, but otherwise it's all delusional theorycrafting about how he will play a captain that tells other people what to do in a game that will never exist.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Just imagine it. A whole yacht ship. Imagine the parties you'll be able to throw with your giant staff of richly attired NPC chefs, and your aircraft techs playing basketball in the hangar. Imagine how important you're going to feel when you put them in a line in front of your elevated Captain's Desk and dress them down for roughhousing in front of the Ambassador's Wife. Imagine the wild pool party and maybe a bit more on the spa deck. Imagine how rich and fancy and successful you're going to feel and how jealous all your friends will be. The gameplay is in your dreams, at night, as you lie in bed thinking about how great it's all going to be. The reality could never compare- why pursue it? Give us the money and keep on imagining.

I'm sold! I'll buy 3 of them!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dynastocles posted:

:wiggle:

Actually, on that subject, I haven't seen any space horndogs asking about *ehem* intimacy mechanics and relationships in-game like I would expect from a bunch of internet weirdos. Aside from the inevitable consequence of piracy guy, are citizens interested in having that, or have they transferred their sexual attraction to their ships?

After 5 thrusts, the character performing the thrusting dies of a heart attack.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

:kiss:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Titanic posted:

After 5 thrusts, the character performing the thrusting dies of a heart attack.

It's the only way to go to be honest.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That French guy with the Tonk was pretty fun to listen to.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Tokamak posted:

Idk, at Epic there may be some people who will object on letting that poo poo-show on their platform?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Tokamak posted:

This for sure should be a tile in the bingo card for Con'19.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

RabbitWizard posted:

Idk, at Epic there may be some people who will object on letting that poo poo-show on their platform?

Oh I'm sure someone is standing in the shadows...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Kosumo posted:

Will the controls for doing a slam dunk be based on hover mode?

If Chris steals only one thing from the thread, let it be this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, imagine a shoe line called "Air Lesnick".

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

monkeytek posted:

I always see stewardesses climbing out to the engine nacelle during flight to repair a blown fuel pump, don't you?

No, I don't because I'm either living it up with the bar tender in the spa pool in first class and we never look back towards the poor end of the plane, or playing some basketball in the baggage area after the crew have made some space by throwing out the poor people's bags.

I'm not poor, I'm a Star Citizen :smuggo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kosumo posted:

No, I don't because I'm either living it up with the bar tender in the spa pool in first class and we never look back towards the poor end of the plane, or playing some basketball in the baggage area after the crew have made some space by throwing out the poor people's bags.

Sorry if I get sweaty while loading your luggage goon.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Sounds like he should try being more positive. The Epic Games Store is still in the early stages. Building a game store from scratch is hard work! Maybe he should take a break and come back in a few months and stop spreading FUD.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Kosumo posted:

But are you shirtless when you play basketball? Because that might upset some people whales.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tokamak posted:

Sorry, even the haters can see that Epic is doing the buyout deals for profit, no way they'll let Scam Citizen near their platform.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Is it possible to be scammed so hard you die? Stay tuned to find out.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Is it possible to be scammed so hard you die? Stay tuned to find out.

Sorry, but that made me laugh so hard I almost ran out of Argon and died.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

When will Epic refactor things?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'd say the guy does not like Epic due to the fact that they sued Silicon Knights for illegal use / copyright infringement for the unreal engine and won.

That may scare him due to CIG being and involved with a legal case around similar grounds.

Is Star Citizen the next Too Human .... I look forward to finding out.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Must say I'm always a bit taken aback by the sheer level of rabid uncontrollable hatred some folk seem to have for the Epic store. It's like some switch is turned off and pure bile just floods out. Very odd it is.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Dynastocles posted:

Sounds like he should try being more positive. The Epic Games Store is still in the early stages. Building a game store from scratch is hard work! Maybe he should take a break and come back in a few months and stop spreading FUD.

American company takes $300M of crowd funding money, delivers nothing after 7 years.

American company ( with Chinese stakeholders ) takes $0M of crowd funding money, delivers little features after 6 months: "Don't fall to this scam, they should've had something functional day #1. They'll be spying on you. They'll own your mama.. We should definitely not give them a chance.".

As a European, this is hilarious to me. Aren't those special snowflakes aware that American companies steal their user's data / spy on them all the time ? I'd love to know if they own a Facebook account and if they think it's allright, because it's Americaaaaaa, and not these evil Chinese ! Cambridge Analytica anybody ? The irony..

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

When will Epic refactor things?

Maybe sometime around 两千零二十二?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

But are you shirtless when you play basketball? Because that might upset some people whales.

Good thing there was no shirtless basketball scene in Star Trek IV. That could have gotten messy.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chris shows backers the same amount of respect he would show a publisher.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nyast posted:

American company takes $300M of crowd funding money, delivers nothing after 7 years.

American company ( with Chinese stakeholders ) takes $0M of crowd funding money, delivers little features after 6 months: "Don't fall to this scam, they should've had something functional day #1. They'll be spying on you. They'll own your mama.. We should definitely not give them a chance.".

As a European, this is hilarious to me. Aren't those special snowflakes aware that American companies steal their user's data / spy on them all the time ? I'd love to know if they own a Facebook account and if they think it's allright, because it's Americaaaaaa, and not these evil Chinese ! Cambridge Analytica anybody ? The irony..

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Weekly roadmap update:

Summary: Basically nothing is moving across any of the boards. 3.6.1 which contains items that were due out 6 weeks ago has gone up another 1%. 3.7 which is due out in another 6 weeks has gone up another 3%. This would be really bad if we didn't know what will actually happen- in about 2 weeks, most of the unfinished work will mysteriously disappear from the roadmap and the 20 or 30% they actually manage to finish will be shoved out and paraded around as a total victory.

Meanwhile in Squadron 42, another 1% finished on that quarterly patch. They've pretty clearly run out of easy cards to tick off like "Prepare to begin designing the roadmap for the eventual work pipeline" and are now confronted with the problem of needing to actually deliver finished systems, which they cannot do. I've never seen a project stall out in real time before, it's fascinating.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's interesting how the SC subreddit is 90% true believers fawning over the game until the roadmap posts, and then the reactions are actually quite realistic and pessimistic. Why does it get tolerated there but not elsewhere in the sub?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:confuoot:

:lol::laffo::tif:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 9, 2019

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Mr Fronts posted:

We'll be rocked by revelations that the enthusiastic supporters were really staff in a St Petersburg Los Angeles office, astroturfing, writing fake "articles", organising useful idiots to spread bullshit narratives, and.... oh poo poo.

There should be restrictions on what fanboys can post. The right to free speech is not absolute. For instance; yelling FUD in a crowded Citizencon...

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sarsapariller posted:

Weekly roadmap update:

Summary: Basically nothing is moving across any of the boards. 3.6.1 which contains items that were due out 6 weeks ago has gone up another 1%. 3.7 which is due out in another 6 weeks has gone up another 3%. This would be really bad if we didn't know what will actually happen- in about 2 weeks, most of the unfinished work will mysteriously disappear from the roadmap and the 20 or 30% they actually manage to finish will be shoved out and paraded around as a total victory.

Meanwhile in Squadron 42, another 1% finished on that quarterly patch. They've pretty clearly run out of easy cards to tick off like "Prepare to begin designing the roadmap for the eventual work pipeline" and are now confronted with the problem of needing to actually deliver finished systems, which they cannot do. I've never seen a project stall out in real time before, it's fascinating.

Looks like they can whitebox about 3 chapters a quarter. At that rate, game release would be pushed out a year.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Maybe the entire dev team has been pulled off the roadmap to make new sandworms for Sitcon.

perhaps the strategy is to paper over failure with more SECRET SHIP REVEALS, since the notion that 'there's stuff they are working on they arn't showing us!' is apparently sufficient for many people.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Those ungrateful little shits. Code whisperer Crobbear has absolved himself once and is prepared to do it again when he takes a break from his vacation. What more do they want from him?

Has anyone even seen how amazing the cafeteria scene looks by now? It just needs a little more tweaking on NPC AI so they don't jump on the table and walk through the stools.

Does no one understand proper game development anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

The patches aren't late if you set your clock to CIG Standard Time