Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I interrupt this argument over a twenty+ year old sitcom to inform you that yesterday I introduced my son to the Voltron remake and he's in love. Kid's going to poo poo a brick in a few weeks when he finds out that he'll be helping me build the Lego model.

I will share a photo of the brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's not good to let kids eat Lego bricks.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I can only do so much.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

duz posted:

It's not good to let kids eat Lego bricks.

No but I just got the lego cookie cutters last time I was in the store

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

Saying "It's bad" when the set perfectly represents the characters and the most iconic set of the show screams "I don't like this, why isn't LEGO catering to ME!?" Being critical about the LEGO Idea process is one thing, but hating on this specific set just because it exists is dumb.

I mean, if you're a huge fan of the show and don't find the set to be accurate enough then sure I guess, but LEGO stuck the landing with this one aesthetically.

Except my complaint is literally about the Ideas process as I stated very plainly before. I have absolutely no problem with Lego making the set, regardless of what I think about it. They make lots of sets that I don't like, or don't appeal to me personally and that's fine. It's how these sets get mae that I think is dumb.

Stuff like Friends just sucks because there was really no creativity that went into it. It wasn't the creators idea. There wasn't anything special about the build. It's literally a submission of "hey you like friends?" vote for this and it could be a reality. And as a result other cool stuff like the food stands get dumped because Lego knows they can sell hella copies of a Friends set. I just don't understand why LEGO lets ideas be a platform to feel out what IPs people want made. They could put up a polling site or something and let people vote there? It's just a terrible use of Ideas which already has enough problems without the pandering.

I'll admit I'm a bit of hypocrite because I think Wall-E is one fo the best sets Lego has ever made, and Ghostbusters and Voltron are also great. But at least in those cases they are really remarkable builds that aren't just riding on the source material and essentially promising the production of a line of minifigures.

Anyways I'm not mad about it as you seem to be insiting. I just think it's a really poor choice on Lego's part. ideas is just not good.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 10, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree. I think ideas needs more regulation. No digital submissions. If you can't be arsed to build it yourself, why should anyone vote for it?
I mean, is it easier to design and build something digitally? Because it strikes me as the exact same amount of creativity either way, but without the prohibitive cost of having to buy a ton of bricks that you may not have. Like, ship in a bottle and the fishing shack seem like sets nobody would have all the parts for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also digital lets you use parts in colors that don't exist which might get made into real parts in that color

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Slugworth posted:

I mean, is it easier to design and build something digitally?

Depends on how you work I guess. I personally find it a lot harder to design something on a computer than physically with a pile of bricks in front of me, but I know some people who will do an entire design digitally before touching a single brick.

There's definitely advantages to digital design though, and I've personally used it occasionally to see how a part I don't have fits into a design.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
genuinely curious, what is the least-appreciated(in terms of monetary value increase) lego set post-retirement? There's always stories of sets skyrocketing like Green Grocer or the original UCS Falcon, what about the opposite? I'm sure there's Galidor-level stuff that's worth less than the plastic used to make it, but I'm going to throw Alien Mothership(7065) into the ring. A complete with box one can often be had for 20-30 bucks, half to a third of the retail price, years after release. A mint in sealed box one can be had for less than retail price shipped. All the other Alien Conquest sets went up in value or maintained their retail price, but not that one, though I can kinda see why. Clever to use train tracks to expand the surface area of it, but that doesn't really make for an amazing set really.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, that set looks real bad. Looks like they would have inflated the price with a bunch of the parts used but didn't make anything interesting out of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have six of them, sealed. years ago, k-mart had some absurd double discount deal with groupon or some poo poo that resulted in being able to get already-discounted legos for 80% off iirc, and I had 2 k-marts near me. :v:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's with the inconsistency with the new teal brick separator? Even now sets are coming out with orange ones.

I thought it was a proper push by Lego to release a new coloured one each year to increase their value proposition now that they are in every loving set?

Is it different factories making different sets and thusly either you get a teal or orange one?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well at least we probably still have Piano to look forward to.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Public build at the Tate Modern. Looks awesome, I would love to see this same thing at SFMOMA.
https://twitter.com/thegallowboob/status/1159894938039046144?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
loving gallowboob! :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They did that at an exhibit here in Chicago a few years ago, wife and I spent like 20 minutes wandering through the lego builds they had brought in and over an hour improving and modifying builds that people had left behind. :v:

(the builds we saw were rather nice, it just wasn't a massive collection)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody have some US bricklink stores they'd recommend that have a big selection and fair prices? I usually start by searching for a specific part and end up being disappointed by the overall storefront. It'd be nice to have a few stores to check first so I'm not scraping to order the minimum and buying parts I don't even really need.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

Anybody have some US bricklink stores they'd recommend that have a big selection and fair prices? I usually start by searching for a specific part and end up being disappointed by the overall storefront. It'd be nice to have a few stores to check first so I'm not scraping to order the minimum and buying parts I don't even really need.

Idk if you're looking for specific things or not, but I like to load stuff I want/need into wish lists and then shop the list. You can sort and filter to get US stores with the amount of hits descending.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've made a few purchases from both of these...
https://store.bricklink.com/amyfol?p=amyfol#/shop?o={%22showHomeItems%22:1}
https://store.bricklink.com/BigBBricks?p=BigBBricks#/splash

These two are on my ignore list, because I kept getting excited when I saw one store had everything I was looking for, and then reading their prices.
https://store.bricklink.com/PlanetBrick#/terms
https://store.bricklink.com/edeevo#/splash

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word.

deoju posted:

These two are on my ignore list, because I kept getting excited when I saw one store had everything I was looking for, and then reading their prices.

:psyduck: What the...how? How do they sell anything at those prices? 3000 orders who is buying this poo poo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both of those are on my blacklist too because they have a huge inventory and always hit near the top of searches.

Gotta be some desperate shoppers out there to give them business because bricklink tries real hard to find you the best price.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Yikes. I looked up some of the pieces and.. well I go to my local bricks and minifigs and fill up a gallon bucket for $20 and score... according to them a bucket full of 10-14$ pieces...

Like the yellow spring claw grabbing bucket they want for $14, I might as well pay the 30-40$ and get the used vintage set that piece came in. :v:

I mean... maybe they're hitting the occasional person who is using a program to assemble kits of parts for their moc and doesn't go through the line item list and while most of their parts are reasonable they get some oddball part from these guys that's marked up 10x and they don't notice.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 11, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Captain Invictus posted:

genuinely curious, what is the least-appreciated(in terms of monetary value increase) lego set post-retirement? There's always stories of sets skyrocketing like Green Grocer or the original UCS Falcon, what about the opposite? I'm sure there's Galidor-level stuff that's worth less than the plastic used to make it, but I'm going to throw Alien Mothership(7065) into the ring. A complete with box one can often be had for 20-30 bucks, half to a third of the retail price, years after release. A mint in sealed box one can be had for less than retail price shipped. All the other Alien Conquest sets went up in value or maintained their retail price, but not that one, though I can kinda see why. Clever to use train tracks to expand the surface area of it, but that doesn't really make for an amazing set really.

I like that set actually, it's got some good parts. And yes, I got it a few months ago for about half of its original retail.

Slizers/Throwbots and RoboRiders are good candidates for that. They were the precursors to Bionicle, but at least had more standardised parts than Bionicle. You can get them for a couple of bucks each these days, even with boxes and instructions.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Habibi posted:

I can only do so much.

I just want to say I speed scrolled through a whole page of poo poo because nothing could live up to that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

here's a weird request, but I'm sure at least one of you has both of these things and could pull this off.

Does someone who has a batman minifigure as well as the female ghostbusters set stick the Jillian minifigure's hairpiece on a batman head, using the side of batman's head with a sweat band? I need to see if this might work for an MOC I'm going to work on.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Can we just get a loving Jerry’s apartment set already?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The only sitcom set I want to see is Red Dwarf.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Chairchucker posted:

The only sitcom set I want to see is Red Dwarf.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No 'H', voted zero.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

veni veni veni posted:

here's a weird request, but I'm sure at least one of you has both of these things and could pull this off.

Does someone who has a batman minifigure as well as the female ghostbusters set stick the Jillian minifigure's hairpiece on a batman head, using the side of batman's head with a sweat band? I need to see if this might work for an MOC I'm going to work on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Chairchucker posted:

No 'H', voted zero.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Perfect. Thank you!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

I think I have Batman at work, and if so I can do this tomorrow

E: beaten.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe you guys can give me an opinion on it.

I want to make Marco from Metal Slug cause I'm going to do a Metal Slug MOC

Batman seems like a no brainer for the face since he has the white headband. For the hair I'm torn between GB Jillian because the hair swoop in front is perfect, but the puffiness on the side probably looks a little a little too feminine. Option 2 I'm looking at is fred from scooby doo, which I think captures the overall shape a bit better, but doesn't have that swoop in the front. I still think it's a pretty decent fit though with the way it puffs in the front.

Or alternately can anyone think of a better hair piece I may have overlooked. Also still looking for a good torso if anyone can think of a good one to use.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 11, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is rimmer smiling? Also great MOC. Holly hop drive is a nice touch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I can't wait to see a LEGO Metal Slug, gently caress that would own as an official set.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

deoju posted:

I've made a few purchases from both of these...
https://store.bricklink.com/amyfol?p=amyfol#/shop?o={%22showHomeItems%22:1}
https://store.bricklink.com/BigBBricks?p=BigBBricks#/splash

So, potentially a stupid newbie question, but are Bricklink stores cheaper than the Lego website for pieces? I just got a massive tub of legos from my youth from my parents and am now building late 1980s/early 1990s sets with my kids, but some pieces are missing. I was just going to make a list and then use the Lego site but if Bricklink is better I'd love to know

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends, but in general bricklink will give the better price. I mean they're used bricks (even if they claim new, it's not because they aren't in original packaging), they kind of have to be cheaper.

But rare or out of print prices can be way not expensive than the original price. New molds tend to have inflated prices too.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

xzzy posted:

It depends, but in general bricklink will give the better price. I mean they're used bricks (even if they claim new, it's not because they aren't in original packaging), they kind of have to be cheaper.

But rare or out of print prices can be way not expensive than the original price. New molds tend to have inflated prices too.

Some bricklink sellers buy new parts in bulk from lego itself, and those are never packaged to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The bricks are new as in they haven't been chewed on by kids and aren't all scratched up. There's no guarantee when you buy used parts unless it's rare and the person only has one and gives a description.