Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

joepinetree posted:

What part? Rahm Emanuel, who has spent a lot of time after leaving office defending the Biden campaign (though he says he hasn't made up his mind yet) specifically attacked medicare for all as taking away healthcare from 150 million people to give it to undocumented immigrants.The talking point was so common that it was one of the first questions for Bernie during the debate. There's this columnist that is one of the biggest Biden stans (sample of column titles: "Three reasons why Joe Biden should run in 2020," "In defense of Joe Biden's switcheroo" and several columns attacking Bernie or Warren). After the debate, he wrote the almost infamous now "Joe Biden won the debate, and he wasn’t even on stage" where he argues that Biden won the night where it was Bernie and Warren because

Of course, Biden himself never says the part about undocumented immigrants, and he himself has generally equivocated (says people shouldn't die for being undocumented, but never answers if he'd cover them under medicare/medicaid). But it was unquestionably a talking point pushed by media people friendly to Biden and hostile to Sanders in the run up to the debates, and the shooter specifically mentions a similar talking point.
Gotcha, I generally don't pay attention to Rahm or Biden's surrogates so I didn't really know. I do vaguely remember hearing about that article. Anyhow thanks for the reply, we all know Biden is questionable to put it charitably on racial issues but it doesn't shock me that someone who's basically done with politics like Rahm (who went around recently saying how progressive he is for wanting to hold elites accountable or whatever) will carry his water and say the stuff that isn't supposed to be said out loud by Biden, at least until his next gaffe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Trump says something actually true (but also applies to him)

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1159839982518800387?s=21

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

drat, and we know that trump never would have known that biden said this and been able to insult him about it if those dems hadnt retweeted the video

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The only deck Bernie is playing with is the one he's building on his 2nd vacation home.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
wrong thread. Go Bernie!

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Trump says something actually true

Came here to say this. Biden has been a lukewarm candidate and now that water isnt even warm. But hes still suuuurrrrrrgggggiiiing. Voters are so dumb. I might be alienated if he gets it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1159862543680229376

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

extreme Clinton energy

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Skittles posted:

Came here to say this. Biden has been a lukewarm candidate and now that water isnt even warm. But hes still suuuurrrrrrgggggiiiing. Voters are so dumb. I might be alienated if he gets it

I think the issues are:

1. Most voters aren't really following that closely so I doubt they even know about the gaffes Plus a lot of this is on twitter which a huge percentage of voters don't follow.
2. It's very hard for voters to reconcile "I like Obama. He was a good President. He picked Biden" and "Biden wouldn't be a good president". Because if the latter is true, it's hard for people to hold to the former as well.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 9, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

picking the uninspiring VP of a popular president has never backfired for the democrats.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

picking the uninspiring VP of a popular president has never backfired for the democrats.

This got me thinking, has the former VP to a democratic president ever gone to win a presidential election? There’s Truman but that was a special circumstance

Humphrey, Mondale, and Gore all lost, and LBJ was so shook he didn’t even run

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 9, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Obama only picked Biden to not spook the old white people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

This got me thinking, has the former VP to a democratic president ever gone to win a presidential election? There’s Truman but that was a special circumstance

LBJ did win an election (stomped goldwater). he's the last one.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

goethe.cx posted:

it's not common for VPs to win in general, regardless of party

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

If they weren't so racist they would know Black people play Joker, Joker, Deuce, Deuce Spades.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nixon's weird because he lost to jfk, sat out the next election, then won the one after that (with only 43 percent of the vote).

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/baronhaynes/status/1159659946788753408?s=19

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm really dreading Biden winning the nomination. He won't do anything which is objectively better than Trump but will set the stage for another GOP takeover. I can't spite vote for Trump either. It's lose/lose.

The only other positive I see is that we'll get a center-right replacement for RBG instead of an insanely right replacement.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Democratic campaigns in general need to learn that the right response to Trump's dumb jokes is not "Make a dumber joke," but rather to literally say, "What a loving idiot."

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I love how everyone is like "Biden is old, look at all this awful poo poo he's saying!"

Dude has always been like this. This isn't brain rot, this is who he is.

What prize do you get for being right, while everyone else is wrong?

Biden has not always been this prone to saying dumb / awful poo poo. Yes he's made lovely statements in the past and his voting record is poo poo, but he makes multiple huge verbal mistakes a week now. It is definitely his age contributing to this. He can't even distinguish between Thatcher and May anymore.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Midgetskydiver posted:

What prize do you get for being right, while everyone else is wrong?

Biden has not always been this prone to saying dumb / awful poo poo. Yes he's made lovely statements in the past and his voting record is poo poo, but he makes multiple huge verbal mistakes a week now. It is definitely his age contributing to this. He can't even distinguish between Thatcher and May anymore.

Plus he's coming off as genuinely feeble. Low-energy and weak. Part of his appeal was always that he was a happy warrior type, but he doesn't have that anymore. He just comes off as weak and confused.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

extreme Clinton energy

please god let biden fumble that line and say something "I'm gonna deal Trump in!"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Plus he's coming off as genuinely feeble. Low-energy and weak. Part of his appeal was always that he was a happy warrior type, but he doesn't have that anymore. He just comes off as weak and confused.

Right. He looks extremely fragile as well, his posture and mannerisms make him seem 20 years older than Trump rather than 3. Of course this shouldn't matter but if Biden is the nominee the avalanche of "is Biden strong enough to stand up to Trump" op eds will bury us all.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/proviewsusa/status/1159555113645740032

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's like he's conducting some bizarre scientific study to see how unmistakably terrible he can get and still have people vote for him.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Now he’s gone too far

https://twitter.com/tim_mooney/status/1159600198747906048?s=21

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea, in case you haven't noticed that's literally Trump's favorite trick. He'd eat Biden alive.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yea, in case you haven't noticed that's literally Trump's favorite trick. He'd eat Biden alive.

it is my understanding that dnc strategists have determined that if no other democrats criticize biden, then trump will also be unable to

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/RyanSmithWriter/status/1159882055532064773

Doubt.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

To be fair he was also worked for Bill Clinton at NSC.

Though that's more of an indictment of Bill Clinton than anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Biden supported the war and he won't apologize for it so IDK why this should shock anyone.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

To be fair he was also worked for Bill Clinton at NSC.

Though that's more of an indictment of Bill Clinton than anything.

The DINO Supporter

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I was pretty young during the primaries for the 2000 and 2004 elections.

Is it normal for these snowballs-chance-in-hell candidates to linger for so long?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Eschenique posted:

Is it normal for these snowballs-chance-in-hell candidates to linger for so long?

Yeah, the field doesn't start to weed itself out until like decemberish.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Eschenique posted:

In theory the later they last the more political credibility they've built up, allowing them to shop their endorsement for promises of sweet gigs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eschenique posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. Most of the time, people don't start dropping out until the first couple of states are over - they like to hold on just in case they get an unexpectedly good result in Iowa or New Hampshire. It's not unusual for no-hopers who are polling at 1-2% to stick to their guns until February or even March before they finally give up.

On the other hand, keep in mind that the field this time is much bigger than usual, and the primaries are getting heated much earlier than usual, which means there's a lot of time left for candidates to get burned. The plagarism scandals that took down Biden's 1988 campaign, for example, didn't come out until September 1987.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
was this posted?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1159910973806960648

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

drat bro you just posted cringe...

Also, I'm glad that the Chapo boys are getting some good Delaney content

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Groovelord Neato posted:

nixon's weird because he lost to jfk, sat out the next election, then won the one after that (with only 43 percent of the vote).

he didn't sit out '64. he tried to get the party to draft him to run and after they went "lol no" to his loving face he campaigned for the down ballot in '64 and '66 to get himself a new base of support in the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he didn't sit out '64. he tried to get the party to draft him to run and after they went "lol no" to his loving face he campaigned for the down ballot in '64 and '66 to get himself a new base of support in the party

this is what hate and spite do, they're excellent motivators