Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Don't care about riding stupid animals. Would rather see patch notes saying stuff like "UI is now not poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

sigher posted:

if the whole universe is now just shared among all players that would be awesome

Almost positive it isn't. It's just the shared hub space thing, and maaaybe some way of inviting friends to your galaxy (or even just to an individual planet / base).

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
I hope they patched in mountable players and NPCs for intergalactic VR chicken fights

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

John F Bennett posted:

I'm pretty sure animal riding will be optional.

Also, that poster was making a joke. I found it amusing!

Yeah, I didn't mean the animal riding by itself, but the throwing food around (I deciphered it to be like those VR games where you "teleport" instead of walk to the destination).

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
32 players
https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/9/20792352/no-mans-sky-beyond-social-hub-nexus-ps4-windows-pc-xbox-one

Also “farming” animals

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Was a terrible joke but I’m genuinely interested how they’re handling movement, all the press quotes about VR are insanely glowing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

emgeejay posted:

Has an embargo dropped?

That was a joke

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

“The Nexus also features walking, talking non-player characters who offer specific quests for groups and for individuals.”

LMAO I forgot that all the NPCs have been static and unmoving for years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NPCs with important unique functions should be stationary, that's a good thing. I guess all the randos you can talk to for a basic reward will now move?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I hope the walking npc's will offer helpful hints about game mechanics.

Also, the article talks about August 12 instead of 14 but I'm assuming that's a typo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A more in-depth video about the features in Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAo7b4HjtjQ

That third pillar is actually a lot of stuff. So much so that they've dubbed that aspect "No Man's Sky 2.0." They wanted to expand on just about every type of playstyle people had, whether it's exploring, farming, base building, etc. You can farm creatures and milk them, and raise them for riding or food. Base building has been expanded significantly; things need power now too so I hope you like wiring (or just build a lot of solar panels)! Logic has been added so I'm assuming it's more or less the equivalent of redstone in Minecraft -- Sean mentions that they've built what is essentially Rocket League in the game.

The Nexus hub is the way to interact with other players, though you can see them outside of it as well. You can select a mission there and others will be notified that you're about to start a mission and they can join in. The Nexus will also feature bases people have built and ways to visit them to check them out.

There's also a new Galaxy Map, new Discovery page, NPC's will be walking around on planets, and apparently you can now sit in chairs instead of just spinning them.

So when they said this is bigger than Next was.. yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 9, 2019

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
All those features are either going to be brilliant or horrendous, depending on how much grind is required to gather the necessary resources. I really hope the grind is reduced and things have cheaper material requirements, but really not holding my breath.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Things I’m curious about is how gated, or open, the Nexus/MP is. They crippled stargate traveling pretty loving hard and currently joining someone else’s games just instances you to their game with no way to build or set up a travel point where you are.

If the Nexus can act as a permanent gate to friend’s world and an actual way of traveling the galaxy it’d be pretty cool. I know they’ve been wary of letting people just set up a waypoint right at the heart of the galaxy then everyone else using it to skip the journey but it seems they’re moving away from that gameplay mentality.

If they can improve on that and maybe further refine / tweak the material cost of building in survival it’ll go a long way in getting me back and playing this a poo poo load more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stare-Out posted:

So when they said this is bigger than Next was.. yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

Near the end of the video he says the patch notes will probably be twice as long as those for Next.

New galactic map, new discovery page, new word system.

And yeah, it's official that the third pillar is "version 2.0", an umbrella term encompassing all the tweaks and additions throughout the game that aren't VR or MP related.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've also heard (from people that have played it in VR) that the inventory system is super intuitive now and essentially a projected screen that emanates from your left hand that is semi-opaque and you can still look around while using it unlike in the normal game where you're kinda locked into it while it covers your entire screen and unable to see what else is going on. Ships are bigger now too to match the scale they should be, thanks to VR.

I'm still curious how the VR players appear to other players, since you have control of your hands and arms, running around would look kinda weird. I mean it's confirmed that other players, VR or not, can see you waving your hands around so I wonder how, if at all, they addressed that.

Nonetheless, I paid 9 dollars for this game two years ago and the fact that this patch is free is pretty goddamn mindblowing to the point that I almost feel bad about getting it for nothing. I would've dished out for this for sure. The fact that Hello Games aren't charging for it is pretty commendable in the age where Activision is still charging for Modern Warfare smilies or some poo poo.

E: Time for a title change/new thread?

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 9, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Stare-Out posted:

I'm still curious how the VR players appear to other players, since you have control of your hands and arms, running around would look kinda weird. I mean it's confirmed that other players, VR or not, can see you waving your hands around so I wonder how, if at all, they addressed that.

Paddy cake confirmed

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Stare-Out posted:

They'll do it like PokerStars VR, they won't do anything. You'll just have to see people pointing and waving above their wrist.

toiletbrush posted:

All those features are either going to be brilliant or horrendous, depending on how much grind is required to gather the necessary resources. I really hope the grind is reduced and things have cheaper material requirements, but really not holding my breath.
I feel bad for people on console who can't really mod their games. I do it so I don't have to do crappy grinds. If there's going to be competitive multiplayer aspects to the game (like a rocket league type mode or whatever), I might start over without mods, especially to experience everything again from a VR perspective.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jesus I'm getting pretty hyped for this game. Any word on better Space Combat or Space Activities? Really though, especially with VR, this might just supplant Elite as my go-to VR experience.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Jesus I'm getting pretty hyped for this game. Any word on better Space Combat or Space Activities? Really though, especially with VR, this might just supplant Elite as my go-to VR experience.

No word on combat beyond (har) how it works in VR or any new things to do in space. Needless to say it'll be pretty drat cool in VR nevertheless.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Finally. Eagerly awaiting those juicy patch notes. And possibly a video from one of those smooth talking NMS youtubers that used to do patch note breakdowns, since sometimes I don't even realize how a change might even affect me.

Edit: With so much being redone or expanded, including UI elements like the galactic map, and discovery page, SURELY, they will have actually made a proper quest log page too right? RIGHT?!

Also, can we agree to riot or at least throw a tantrum if we are still limited to 6 ships? :colbert:

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 9, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chaosapiant posted:

Any word on better Space Combat or Space Activities?

I'm going to bet that these are the things that they never change and they're the things that need the most love so that they're not boring as all hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://kotaku.com/interview-no-mans-sky-beyond-creator-on-new-multiplaye-1837087151

quote:

You’ll be able to ride creatures, yes, but also tame them and even milk them. The farming system, Murray said, ties into a new cooking system, where players can make meals and even deliver them to customers.

“You can be like space Deliveroo,” Murray said, referring to a UK food delivery service comparable to Seamless or Grubhub. “Now where we are is having plants that you can harvest. You can build a cooker using the building system. You can cook these plants, you can experiment with them and create recipes. You can find animals and milk them and then combine all of those things to create like, different pies—or various kinds of alien food, which is something I’ve always wanted in a game.”

tired: fusion igniter farm
wired: actual farm

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ijii posted:

I feel bad for people on console who can't really mod their games. I do it so I don't have to do crappy grinds. If there's going to be competitive multiplayer aspects to the game (like a rocket league type mode or whatever), I might start over without mods, especially to experience everything again from a VR perspective.

Because they've reset the universe twice I've lost any sort of my normal distaste for this sort of thing. I put 100 hours in before they wiped my poo poo the first time, gently caress it, I'm editing my save.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
None of these updates matter if I still can't switch sprinting to L3 instead of R3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Joakim Brecht posted:

None of these updates matter if I still can't switch sprinting to L3 instead of R3.

Might not be the solution you're looking for but I think you can remap that on the system level from the PS4 settings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to pick this up should I wait until after Beyond releases or can I get started now and everything will transition with the new patch?

I don't wanna have to restart in a week when the patch drops.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, can we agree to riot or at least throw a tantrum if we are still limited to 6 ships? :colbert:

I'll take six ships if we can sell them. The fact that you can't is kind of weird.

(Unless they've changed this, haven't played in quite a while)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

If I wanted to pick this up should I wait until after Beyond releases or can I get started now and everything will transition with the new patch?

You should probably buy it right now if it's on sale but I wouldn't start a new save until the patch. It's less than a week and there isn't really a point in experiencing the pre-patch game given how much it's about to change.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Popete posted:

Your progress should transition, your base planet might change, quests might break, and they have broken all collected technology in the past. Anyone who's been through a large patch will recommend you wait or just restart when the patch drops since you won't have much attachment to a week old save

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, unless you're super far along and have millions or billions of credits and tons of materials, you may as well wait until the patch hits to start a new game (but buy it while it's on sale, obviously.) I have a save where I'm totally loaded but I'm still starting all over again in VR for Beyond as I have for each big patch because they tend to change things or add things that switch up the very start of the game and it's gotten better each time.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

Stare-Out posted:

Might not be the solution you're looking for but I think you can remap that on the system level from the PS4 settings.
Ah, I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thinking I might do a soft restart, where I delete my bases, trade in my ships and freighter and abandon all quests. Then again, my dumbass ADHD brain might be too worried about inconsistencies and bugs and I'll probably end up with a hard restart anyway.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 9, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like I'll just wait to pick it up. Only question is PS4 or PC, any strong recommendations either way?

It's on sale on both platforms, PS4 until the 27th and Steam I'm not sure how long.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Popete posted:

Sounds like I'll just wait to pick it up. Only question is PS4 or PC, any strong recommendations either way?

It's on sale on both platforms, PS4 until the 27th and Steam I'm not sure how long.

I can't think why anyone would pick a console version over the pc one if their machine can run it well.

On the other hand, if your best buds play on the ps4, I guess that's a reason.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 9, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Funso Banjo posted:

I can't think why anyone would pick a console version over the pc one if their machine can run it well.

Playing on a big screen with the DS4, I know I can use the DS4 on my PC as well but idk there's an appeal to just being able to sit on my couch and lounge play.

It's also $5 cheaper on PS4 right now and if the performance isn't terrible might be the option I go with. I originally bought this game on release for PS4 and after the first few hours of novelty wore off I returned it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go PC if you can. Modding exists there and it will be the better VR experience if you’re at all interested in that.

It’s also nice not to be tethered to Sony’s settings, on PC you can crank the sliders up and down to get graphical fidelity, frame rate, or a mix

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If you're not after a rock-solid 60fps+ and mod support, PS4 works just fine. I have a base PS4 and so far the game runs at an average of 40-ish fps unlocked and it's all good (though entering planets can get a bit stuttery but that's about it). Then again I don't know how Beyond changes things but I'd think it's still at least as good.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I play on PC and I don't feel the need to mod anything. If the game gets a really good deal, I might just pick it up for my PS4.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Popete posted:

Playing on a big screen with the DS4, I know I can use the DS4 on my PC as well but idk there's an appeal to just being able to sit on my couch and lounge play.

lmfao

I'm currently mounting dual joysticks to my recliner so i can fly space planes in style, but i guess, yeah, computers are entirely immobile, completely incompatible with TVs, and limited to one per household, so i guess it's worth giving up the opportunity to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh poo poo I haven't even tried to set up my HOTAS and pedals with NMS. Might have to stick with PC if that works well.