Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shame Boy posted:

Yes that's obvious, hence why I posted it in the capitalism pictures thread, I'm more :confused: about the fact that this physical artifact is in my house, since I know she didn't buy it. Where did it even come from? What kind of tiny flag pole am I even supposed to fly my tiny gay xbox flag from?

one with the wrong kind of ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Feel good capitalism story of the year:

‘Take It Like a Gift’: Chase Erases Canadian Credit Card Debts https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/business/chase-credit-card-debt-canada.html

Those nice credit card companies!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

other people posted:

Take It Like a Gift

:heysexy:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
God drat 75,000 pieces that's a loving project

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean he certainly can buy legos without permission, just like his wife can "accidentally" drop his prized limited edition funko pop of han solo that this dude definitely owns down the garbage disposal after seeing that he paid out the rear end for a child's toy without even consulting her

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
LEGO is for children. Lumber is for men. No woman would object to her man spending a similar amount of money to build her a chair or a table or a deck. That nets brownie points, bro.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/product/Millennium-Falcon-75192

lol it's literally 900 dollars

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Should have bough the Lepin version on Aliexpress instead.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

"Lol, just do what you want without talking to your partner. I'm divorced so I know how to life with a partner properly"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"I can't do simple calculations because I'm bad at math"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I got a new TV about two years ago. Everyone I know thought I was crazy for not getting a smart TV, but this is exactly why. I knew this poo poo was coming. And not just home screen ads or whatever. I predict that within a few years, you will be unable to mute ads on a lot of apps on smart TVs, or that doing so will freeze the ad or otherwise penalize you. We've already seen the start of it, where on stuff like the Twitch app, trying to pan away from an ad will result in it pausing until it you make it the focus of the screen again. Mark my words, your smart TV will become the enemy in the war against ads.

That's why I got a regular tv, and just watch most things through apps on my Xbox. Without data and metrics, the TV can't snitch to Microsoft/Netflix/Twitch/whatever that I've muted an add.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I forget where I read it but there was a sci fi author decades ago who posited a future where the only way to live as a working class person was subsidized by ads every waking moment. On the walls of your apartment, piped in through speakers while you shower, playing on the alarm that wakes you up etc etc etc, just hammering at you.

People who clawed their way up to lower middle class could afford the luxury of bare walls and quiet showers.

Prescient.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I have a smart tv because there was a deal on it when I wanted a new tv so whatever. but why in the world would you want your tv to be the primary source of streaming services when there are plenty of other options that plug into your tv and can be easily upgraded without buying a whole new tv?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I have a smart tv because there was a deal on it when I wanted a new tv so whatever. but why in the world would you want your tv to be the primary source of streaming services when there are plenty of other options that plug into your tv and can be easily upgraded without buying a whole new tv?

Why would you want to plug a thing in when every TV has it built in now?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I thought about buying the lego millenium falcon but then I didnt because I have no place to put it and also I need that 900 dollars for literally anything else. It would own to build one for free tho...

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can have an ad-free experience by not agreeing to the Terms of Service. It's just bait for people who skip through the setup process, you can use the TV normally without it

I wonder how it feels being the UX person figuring out psychological tricks to make people using your interfaces miserable. Doesn't get more Evil Employer than that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

You can have an ad-free experience by not agreeing to the Terms of Service. It's just bait for people who skip through the setup process, you can use the TV normally without it

Don't worry I'm sure they'll fix that in an update. I've had devices where when I didn't agree to the ToS for their online crap (not even the device as a whole, specifically an online thing) the thing just powered off and started the setup from the beginning when I turned it back on :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

LEGO is for children. Lumber is for men. No woman would object to her man spending a similar amount of money to build her a chair or a table or a deck. That nets brownie points, bro.

Real men build life-size replicas of the Millenium Falcon out of a Norwegian forest :colbert:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rarity posted:

Real men build life-size replicas of the Millenium Falcon out of a Norwegian forest :colbert:

Girls would gently caress you in it if you did that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Girls would gently caress you in it if you did that.

No we wouldn't

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Bombadilillo posted:

Why would you want to plug a thing in when every TV has it built in now?

my Apple TV is better than my smart tv at doing streaming stuff, and if I didn’t like my Apple TV I could just buy any other streaming box for not much money. if I’m just using a smart tv and don’t like it, welp guess I gotta replace the tv.

I just want a tv that is a glorified monitor.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rarity posted:

No we wouldn't

Hold on, the lounge area with the chessboard doubles as a sauna.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

I forget where I read it but there was a sci fi author decades ago who posited a future where the only way to live as a working class person was subsidized by ads every waking moment. On the walls of your apartment, piped in through speakers while you shower, playing on the alarm that wakes you up etc etc etc, just hammering at you.

People who clawed their way up to lower middle class could afford the luxury of bare walls and quiet showers.

Prescient.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Unironically my favorite episode.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

well it's essentially Brooker being mad at his career

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I'm surprised we haven't seen this in the wild yet.

It's from a patent Sony has.

E: It's way easier to look at on Google Patents, the private sector wins again

foobardog has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Aug 9, 2019

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Last time I looked it was impossible to buy a decent TV that wasn't smart. Nobody makes a really good modern display without the extra gubbins.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Last time I looked it was impossible to buy a decent TV that wasn't smart. Nobody makes a really good modern display without the extra gubbins.

Exactly. Even a couple years ago lower end ones had slow interfaces. But not pretty much everything is perfectly fine for all streaming out of the box.

Roku and stuff are trying to shift to exclusive content to stay relevant, but that tech was always going to be a temporary tech cause it works so much better built in.

Android TV is is fast and good, if anyone's looking.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bombadillo tried to calculate the exact speed of the interface but failed because he's bad at math.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got my kids the newest Nintendo, the console reputed to be the safest and most kid friendly one, and it' serves them a steady stream of ads for more games to buy by default and I don't think there's a way to turn it off.

I could just take it off the wifi but that would cripple a lot of their games.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I got my kids the newest Nintendo, the console reputed to be the safest and most kid friendly one, and it' serves them a steady stream of ads for more games to buy by default and I don't think there's a way to turn it off.

I could just take it off the wifi but that would cripple a lot of their games.

Kid friendly just means it's difficult to use online features and also that it won't show them all the perverted Japanese games in the store, obviously they're still going to get shown advertisements, they're educational :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meanwhile I have all that poo poo off so the other day the thing recommended me this game that appears to be a fairly standard rougelike except it's about anime ladies who store their power in their chest and therefore their boobies get bigger the higher you level them up.

They wanted sixty loving dollars for it. And I'm sure they probably got that from quite a few people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey remember that time Nintendo made a fun rabbit character that tries to sell your kids DLC and which gets all sad if you say you don't want it, lol

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Technically those aren't adds those are "nintendo news" which just so happens to only report on new things that you can buy. Also if you bring this up to nintendo fan boys they get extremely defensive and angry.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They watched the "nintendo news" for smash bros ultimate so much they would sing the theme song in the car

i mean i'm going to get the new smash anyway whenever it comes out on a new platform so it's whatever, but still

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I'm surprised you had the option of buying a TV that wasn't labeled as "smart."

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
My TVs have Internet ports.

I don't connect them.

This has served me well for ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My TV is for consoles only and I watch all my TV on my adblock-installed laptop, works a treat

e: And if I really want the extra screensize from the TV then I just run an HDMI cable!