Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think they try to show that Rost taught her a lot about living out in the wilds but she's got cheat codes IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tight aspirations posted:

Yeah, it was really useful. IIRC, Dead Space 2 had it so you could follow a trail to benches and save points, I think? Actually, given it's talent for misdirection and weird things, I'm surprised it didn't try and get you to follow a dud direction at least a couple of times.

Also, the rest of the UI and HUD was also great, with your inventory displayed as an in-universe hologram in front of Isaac's face, and your health bar as an indicator on your suit.

Yeah. Save points, upgrade benches, stores, objective. It was not as necessary as DS1 since the sequel was far more linear, but it's nice.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

exquisite tea posted:

It's cool how Horizon Zero Dawn's own version of survival witcher eagle vision is literally the holographic overlay Aloy sees with her focus.

ahem its called detective vision

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exit Strategy posted:

I am a huge fan of diegetic UI in games, especially if the interface element is out-and-out Video Game but is present for a good reason.

Halo Reach did this in good and cool way. Post-ending (it's like a decade old but whatever) you're the last living soldier on the planet, surrounded by spartan corpses. The objective is simply "Survive". The more damage you take, your helmet's visor starts to crack and shatter, and as it does the HUD flickers off piece by piece until you finally fall and your spartan just takes the helmet off and falls.

The entire rest of the series the checkpoint system goes off of "Rally Point Alpha/Beta/Charlie". There you're at Rally Point Omega.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

I am a huge fan of diegetic UI in games, especially if the interface element is out-and-out Video Game but is present for a good reason.

I really liked the shotgun in nuPrey showing you your loaded and total rounds as a graphic on the gun itself. Nice in itself, but one of the enemies could disable electrical things with an attack and this would disrupt the ammo display, but still leave the weapon usable as opposed to other more futuristic weaponry, which would lose function completely. Very cool of Arkane to think how that would work.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Crowetron posted:

In Shadow Warrior 2, Wang holds most weapons in the usual FPS manner of the lower right corner. But if you equip the Sawed-Off Shotgun, he'll hold in the bottom center of the screen DooM-style.
lol I just looked it up and it's even called "the stick of doom." I really oughta play this game.

Barudak posted:

Similarly the very first thing I did in Doom 2016 was turn on the feature that put all the guns at the center of the screen.
:same: though IIRC that was added in a later patch. I hope Eternal launches with this feature

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tight aspirations posted:

I really liked the shotgun in nuPrey showing you your loaded and total rounds as a graphic on the gun itself. Nice in itself, but one of the enemies could disable electrical things with an attack and this would disrupt the ammo display, but still leave the weapon usable as opposed to other more futuristic weaponry, which would lose function completely. Very cool of Arkane to think how that would work.

IIRC the assault rifle shows you somewhere on it how many mini-rockets it has left too

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

In Team Fortress 2 there is an alternate rocket launcher called The Original. It is designed to look like the rocket launcher from Quake, and by extension the one from the original Team Fortress, which was a Quake mod. The first person viewmodel has the launcher held in the bottom center of the screen instead of center right.

Although this launcher has exactly the same stats as the stock rocket launcher, it is slightly different. While the default launcher’s rockets are fired from slightly to the soldier’s right, the Original’s rockets are fired from his center. This makes firing around walls and corners to your right slightly harder, and ones to your left slightly easier. For this reason the Original is considered to be a separate weapon for competitive play, although it is allowed by formats with even the strictest whitelists.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

Every game needs this. Dead Space had it too and it was such a good feature.

I always find myself conflicted about it. I wish games didn't have to be designed such that avoiding the big glowy line/arrow/whatever telling you where progress awaits was the optimal course of action. And in horror games like Dead Space it can potentially sap away some of the tension by giving the player an unerring sort of navigational security. But I also think Dead Space in particular managed to avoid or overcome that downside through various means.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just killed Ganon in the original Legend of Zelda. I wasn't expecting him to literally explode in a shower of gore and then have to fish the Triforce piece out of the bloody mess.

Pretty hardcore for a NES game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Are you familiar with Bionic Commando? It has Hitler call you a "drat fool" shortly before you headshot him with a bazooka, causing his head to explode and his eyes to fly off in opposite directions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No wonder he stays pissed at Link for thousands of years after

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you familiar with Bionic Commando? It has Hitler call you a "drat fool" shortly before you headshot him with a bazooka, causing his head to explode and his eyes to fly off in opposite directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtjOzkJkJc8

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

My favorite part about this is they had to let the game be M rated to keep this scene in. That one cut would have dropped it to T or even E10, but they kept it. :allears:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ariong posted:

In Team Fortress 2 there is an alternate rocket launcher called The Original. It is designed to look like the rocket launcher from Quake, and by extension the one from the original Team Fortress, which was a Quake mod. The first person viewmodel has the launcher held in the bottom center of the screen instead of center right.

Although this launcher has exactly the same stats as the stock rocket launcher, it is slightly different. While the default launcher’s rockets are fired from slightly to the soldier’s right, the Original’s rockets are fired from his center. This makes firing around walls and corners to your right slightly harder, and ones to your left slightly easier. For this reason the Original is considered to be a separate weapon for competitive play, although it is allowed by formats with even the strictest whitelists.
I never thought about this before, but what does the third person view of Solider holding the Original look like?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sininu posted:

I never thought about this before, but what does the third person view of Solider holding the Original look like?

He just holds in normally in third-person.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite use of this was in Breakdown for Xbox. You have a HUD because you're in a simulation. Once you control your character in the real world, the HUD disappears.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PunkBoy posted:

My favorite use of this was in Breakdown for Xbox. You have a HUD because you're in a simulation. Once you control your character in the real world, the HUD disappears.

The Bureau also had a wonderful trick with this: the game looks like a third-person shooter. It's not. It's first-person...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cythereal posted:

The Bureau also had a wonderful trick with this: the game looks like a third-person shooter. It's not. It's first-person...

That was really cool. When the main character finds out, and the anger he feels to being controlled by you, was a good moment in an otherwise average game. Was very similar to the DS game Contact in that regard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

That was really cool. When the main character finds out, and the anger he feels to being controlled by you, was a good moment in an otherwise average game. Was very similar to the DS game Contact in that regard.

deltarune looks like it's going to be following the same tack if the demo is anything to go by

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got quite a bit further in Eternal Ring and I'm appreciating the variety in environments. I just did a dungeon that involved a bunch of interlocking elevators, pretty simple layout in practice but an interesting concept.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

The two best parts of the game are Carter playing chicken with a nuke for his free will back from you (he's a violent angry drunk) and convincing the Outsider Agent to help XCOM by talking about how great freedom and apple pie are.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Exit Strategy posted:

This is a cool thing about the Assassin's Creed games, especially the ones where you run around in present day. When you're Desmond, there's no healthbar or awareness markers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

bony tony posted:

This is a cool thing about the Assassin's Creed games, especially the ones where you run around in present day. When you're Desmond, there's no healthbar or awareness markers.

The bad thing is that you have to play Desmond, and even after his departure the present-day storyline is still stupid.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I was playing BoTW, and had to get up to a wooden platform holding a treasure chest. I tried several times to use the nearby fire chu's updraft they create with their fire to catch a thermal and glide up, got close but I kept missing. Then I drew my bow, lit an arrow off the chu's fire, and fired it at the platform and it burned up and the chest fell down.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

AMID EVIL is a good retro wizard fps that's got a lot of good stuff going for it, but its difficulty options in particular are great. Rather than boosting damage taken and increasing enemy hp, they place more monsters and make them more aggressive and in the case of weak melee monsters they move as fast as you can. They also reduce the amount of power souls give for soul mode, which is a temporary super mode that boosts weapons to crowd clearing levels of absurd. The damage remains the same so you die to a slow recoverable attrition rather than instantly dying because the really big guy hit you once and it feels challenging while still actually being fun.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Zoig posted:

AMID EVIL is a good retro wizard fps that's got a lot of good stuff going for it, but its difficulty options in particular are great. Rather than boosting damage taken and increasing enemy hp, they place more monsters and make them more aggressive and in the case of weak melee monsters they move as fast as you can. They also reduce the amount of power souls give for soul mode, which is a temporary super mode that boosts weapons to crowd clearing levels of absurd. The damage remains the same so you die to a slow recoverable attrition rather than instantly dying because the really big guy hit you once and it feels challenging while still actually being fun.

That's the good sort of difficulty. I remember when the first expansion (IIRC) for Borderlands 2 hit, and those little wizard midgets with wooden masks were absorbing amounts of damage that would seriously hurt the game's final boss. Happened with Fallout 3, too. You'd be splattering Super Mutants and sentry robots and assholes in power armor, then you'd take a trip to a swamp and unarmored hillbilly mutants would shrug at your weapons and cleave through your own power armor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when enemies look like something but then on closer inspection they are something else entirely, like the little spinning guys in Pitfall: The Lost Expedition. They Look like generic pygmy type tribes people with masks as big as they are, but then on closer inspection during their death animation I realised they weren't human at all but little weasel guys wearing masks. :3: I just happened to spot their muzzle as they were dying.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The bad thing is that you have to play Desmond, and even after his departure the present-day storyline is still stupid.

Oh yeah, it's real dumb

But also amazing

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Clam Chowdown posted:

My favorite part of MGSV was beating the poo poo out of the four soldiers that are always there to greet you on the helipad when you return to base before doing whatever I went there to do.

"Thank you Boss!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like that HZD doesn't forget that Aloy is completely ignorant about modern life and have to be explained what words like "business company" means in terms she would understand.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got quite a bit further in Eternal Ring and I'm appreciating the variety in environments. I just did a dungeon that involved a bunch of interlocking elevators, pretty simple layout in practice but an interesting concept.

King's Field: The Ancient City was one of my favorite PS2 games, and even I didn't have the patience for Eternal Ring. Even back in the early PS2 days, it seemed weirdly outdated to have a 3D first-person action RPG with no analog support.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Only just noticed in Dragon's Quest 11, when you get back to Cobblestone, you're probably too focused to turn the camera around but if you do you'll see that there's a barrier of light right through the gate, just a step before you actually cross it. It's neat. It's kind of a spoiler to say what happens outright but it's pretty early on. Right after you get through the forest after breaking out of jail.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Aug 11, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I like that HZD doesn't forget that Aloy is completely ignorant about modern life and have to be explained what words like "business company" means in terms she would understand.

There is that one puzzle that needs you to understand how clock faces relate to time which she would have absolutely no context to understand if there wasn't a modern day human on the other end of the controller

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There is that one puzzle that needs you to understand how clock faces relate to time which she would have absolutely no context to understand if there wasn't a modern day human on the other end of the controller

Horizon Zero Dawn has a very simple answer for all these perceived incongruities, and it's "Aloy learned it from her Focus."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Soul Calibur VI has clothing damage. That's neat, and it also applies to created characters which is neat as well, but what struck me is that they implemented it in a way that makes it a useful thing mechanically, through two parts to it:

1. It's based on locational damage,
2. It actually takes quite a lot of punishment before clothing actually shows damage.

That takes it from being just an aesthetic thing and into a useful signal of what's happening in the fight. Standard games are six rounds, and clothing damage only starts becoming clear at about round three or four, and it means you can start to tell what attacks are landing. Your character lost their helmet? That means they're aiming high and you're letting them in, maybe stop doing that and you'll do better.

I'm sure other fighting games have used battle damage in a way like this, but it's usually a feature mentioned only for aesthetics, so I liked being able to immediately recognize that feature had practical purpose.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Aug 12, 2019

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
In fairness I think the real reason Soul Calibur has clothing damage is because the people who made it are incredibly horny

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

supergayboy posted:

In fairness I think the real reason Soul Calibur has clothing damage is because the people who made it are incredibly horny

That's definitely part of it. Dead or Alive got branded the horny 3D fighter due to its utterly shameless volleyball spinoffs but if you just look at the two by their main series, Soul Calibur is a contender.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Aug 12, 2019

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
All games are horny games.

Give me one example that contends otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

All games are horny games.

Give me one example that contends otherwise.
Bayonetta is not horny.