Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ShootaBoy posted:

Who's the person that has had the most potential and then either squandered it or just amounted to gently caress all? Not just in WWE, but overall, and I'm not talking being held down by lovely booking. Like they seemed like they were gonna be really good, only to be a long, wet fart.

ZZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I forgot all about him, dude seemed to have a ton of charisma and was a natural fit for wrestling.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
who was that japanese high flyer that like predates ricochet but was contemporary with jack evans

He did so much crazy poo poo ahead of his time like a running ropewalk dropkick and shooting star sentons and 630s

And then hosed his entire career by trying to frame soneone for drugs because thats the biggest bust for all the talent in the world

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

who was that japanese high flyer that like predates ricochet but was contemporary with jack evans

He did so much crazy poo poo ahead of his time like a running ropewalk dropkick and shooting star sentons and 630s

And then hosed his entire career by trying to frame soneone for drugs because thats the biggest bust for all the talent in the world

Is that Yoshitsune/Sugi? Because I know he planted weed on Io Shirai & Nosawa

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Yeah thats him

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

That is what I meant, but live-posting counts.

If you come on to the subforum and see the New Japan thread (or right now the G1 thread) has like 300 new posts, then a show just happened or is happening.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Lid posted:

The key here is that it was done in Japan. The same Japan that has a prison system with like a 99% conviction rate, and where people, once arrested, tend to just disappear into the depths of and suddenly confess to everything bad they've done. You do not wanna be caught with drugs in Japan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

The key here is that it was done in Japan. The same Japan that has a prison system with like a 99% conviction rate, and where people, once arrested, tend to just disappear into the depths of and suddenly confess to everything bad they've done. You do not wanna be caught with drugs in Japan.

ARASHI was a popular heavyweight for AJPW who got caught with weed, can't remember the last time I saw him on a card.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So I'm gettig back in to wrestling again after a long rear end break (10+ years) and even watching old PPVs on WWE network (I know, I know) ia reminding me how much I love slam-persons stuff. And also how much I enjoyed watching non-WWE stuff.

I'm wondering what I should be checking out, especially in Japanese stuff and the best way to watch it (happy to pay for subscripton service, etc). Lookijg to watch classic stuff and modern stuff. UK based if that matters.

I watched a chunk of the big stuff that was popular at time amont fans of Japanese stuff (Misawa/Kawada matches, Best of the Super Juniors, best of Liger, etc). I'm up for watching most things that a fan of those might, from spotfest/headdrop-fests to "5 star classics". Hardcore stuff I can get from ECW shows, so that's probably the only style I'm not looking for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DroneRiff posted:

So I'm gettig back in to wrestling again after a long rear end break (10+ years) and even watching old PPVs on WWE network (I know, I know) ia reminding me how much I love slam-persons stuff. And also how much I enjoyed watching non-WWE stuff.

I'm wondering what I should be checking out, especially in Japanese stuff and the best way to watch it (happy to pay for subscripton service, etc). Lookijg to watch classic stuff and modern stuff. UK based if that matters.

I watched a chunk of the big stuff that was popular at time amont fans of Japanese stuff (Misawa/Kawada matches, Best of the Super Juniors, best of Liger, etc). I'm up for watching most things that a fan of those might, from spotfest/headdrop-fests to "5 star classics". Hardcore stuff I can get from ECW shows, so that's probably the only style I'm not looking for.

For Japan, probably the best/most accessible would be New Japan (you can even watch this year's BOSJ and some of Liger's retirement tour!) via NJPWWorld.com. The conversion rate means it's a little under 8 quid a month right now. It's got a decent library of classic stuff, more thorough for last decade or so but also has a bunch of older matches/shows. And most of the contemporary stuff has English language commentary now. Plus the live shows air at a semi-reasonable time over here. (There's a G1 show tomorrow morning at 10am BST, for instance)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 10, 2019

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Thanks! I'll check it out

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ShootaBoy posted:

Who's the person that has had the most potential and then either squandered it or just amounted to gently caress all? Not just in WWE, but overall, and I'm not talking being held down by lovely booking. Like they seemed like they were gonna be really good, only to be a long, wet fart.

buddy landel

DroneRiff posted:

every japanese promotion has their own streaming service. i'm currently subscribed to new japan world, stardom world and ddt universe if that matters. if you want old stuff, old memphis is on amazon prime and youtube because no one thought to copyright it. youtube also has a ton of old world of sport that you can find by searching kwik kick lee match or w/e. youtube also has cmll's weekly shows that are 100% free to watch. they're my favorite promotion, but they book like poo poo. aaa streams on twitch every week for free as well. there's a ton of territory stuff (georgia, wwwf, continental, etc, etc) on youtube. that's all the stuff i watch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DroneRiff posted:

In addition to what others have noted, given you are UK based you may be interested in New Japan doing a Royal Quest show in London at the end of this month (there will also be an NXT UK Takeover show on the same night in Cardiff) and both shows are probably gonna be really good though the New Japan show seems to have more excitement around it at the moment.

With New Japan's streaming service, be aware that Japan's system is to bill on the 1st of the month regardless of when you sign up, so if you sign up today then one the 1st of September you'll be immediately charged for another month.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, like this was uploaded 11 years ago and he's like almost relatively unknown outside those who really remember poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrgPnz45b8M

I know he's still getting work but look at that talent in a montage from 11 years ago and the footage is even earlier than that. That he hosed his career over so hard with this style is loving incredible. He should be in the conversation with Ricochet, Jack Evans, Will Ospreay, and Kota Ibushi.

Fake Edit: watching this reminded me he was the first guy i remember doing the over the top rope tiger feint kick/619 years before Will Ospreay had even debuted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Yeah, like this was uploaded 11 years ago and he's like almost relatively unknown outside those who really remember poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrgPnz45b8M

I know he's still getting work but look at that talent in a montage from 11 years ago and the footage is even earlier than that. That he hosed his career over so hard with this style is loving incredible. He should be in the conversation with Ricochet, Jack Evans, Will Ospreay, and Kota Ibushi.

Fake Edit: watching this reminded me he was the first guy i remember doing the over the top rope tiger feint kick/619 years before Will Ospreay had even debuted.

He wasn't nearly as good as any of them. His moves were super spectacular but that's all he had. He just could never put it all together and act like a bad rear end.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That would make him fulfilling the question - all the most potential and talent and it ampunted to gently caress all because he couldnt put it all together. Spectacular with no soul.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
Hey! I've been out of the loop for a while. What happened to Ronda Rousey? And Nia Jax? Are they both retired or have moved on to different things?

edit: and what about Asuka?

eljackass fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 12, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

eljackass posted:

Hey! I've been out of the loop for a while. What happened to Ronda Rousey? And Nia Jax? Are they both retired or have moved on to different things?

edit: and what about Asuka?

vanished after mania and it's unclear if she's coming back, knee surgery I think, and is too Asian for vince's taste so got shuffled off to a tag team that's never on tv, respectively

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
Thanks!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think Nia took time off to get one knee fixed and then it turned out she needed the other one done too, so she's been gone for a while.

I think Ronda and Travis are allegedly trying to get pregnant, but she's also been posting YT vids where she cuts wrestling promos on the fridge, so.... :shrug:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ronda probably is trying to get pregnant, but she also probably realized that the longer she spent in WWE, the faster her star power was going to fade even compared to doing nothing, so might as well at least press pause on wrestling to try to stop the skid.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody explain why Gedo and Jado left Chaos and Okada to join Bullet Club with Jay White?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

okada lost his way and jay was on the rise and it was obv he would turn on okada, then gedo and jado turned with him. thats it i guess

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jay's whole gimmick as part of CHAOS was trying to be Wormtongue and needling everyone about how wouldn't it be rad to cheat and use a chair or shouldn't Okada give Ishii a title shot... Then Okada lost the belt and also lost his challenge for the G1 briefcase (and he didn't even BEAT Tana to earn the shot in the tournament, just went the distance), so the implication is that Okada's fall from grace led Gedo to think White was on to something (plus Jado and Gedo were more of the Bullet Club style heel brawlers back in the day anyway).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
In kayfabe, Okada's breakdown after losing the title and seeing how successful Jay had been in 8 months or so since he'd come back (winning the US title, an impressive G1 run) meant that Gedo decided to ditch Okada, who he felt had lost the shine he once had as the Rainmaker, instead hitching his wagon to a new young prospect who looks like he has all the upside in the world. Jado came along because they're bros, obviously. Jay's stated goal of taking over Chaos didn't pan out so now that The Elite had been excised from Bullet Club he took the offer Kenny had originally laid out in January, because White was originally recommended to the NJPW Dojo by Prince Devitt, so he had an in with Fale and Tama.

In non-kayfabe, Bullet Club needed a new leader and the biggest heel in the company was Switchblade, who has a tremendous star potential seeing as he's only in his mid-20s. Even if the original plan for Omega/Okada 5 to headline MSG and Switchblade never won the belt, he'd have gotten it sooner or later. People who don't like Jay White are in for a rough next 5-7 years because he's not going anywhere.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

An addendum to that is it was clear they had some hope I think that Tama Tonga would rise to the occasion as leader of the Bullet Club but after a few matches into the G1 last year it became very clear he wasn't going to be one of NJPW's top workers. It's a bummer but GOD are really Fuckin cool so whatever and Tama is a really interesting moving guy but that just does not translate into good singles matches.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Between the drug issue and him not being able to put it together makes me kinda sad about Sugi.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

remusclaw posted:

An addendum to that is it was clear they had some hope I think that Tama Tonga would rise to the occasion as leader of the Bullet Club but after a few matches into the G1 last year it became very clear he wasn't going to be one of NJPW's top workers. It's a bummer but GOD are really Fuckin cool so whatever and Tama is a really interesting moving guy but that just does not translate into good singles matches.

he was so fuckin good in the tag match at the finals imo. he just seems to like... fall apart in singles matches. a lot of us were hoping for another karl anderson but alas.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i was just thinking about the new GoD theme and thinking hm yeah actually im kinda getting into it yeah and then i remember guerilla tactics and get mad again.

im really glad new bullet club has found its footing. ill admit that i immediately became more interested in bullet club again when they became straight heels again rather than whatever they were before the elite left. i dont care admitting it, i even liked bullet club just wrecking the g1 because theyre bastards. like it made total sense character wise and i dunno i mean i KNOW why yall didnt like it but I did. but yeah ever since they added switchblade its been really starting to gel, and now this KENTA/shibata thing... whew, whatever it is, im loving stoked.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

shiksa posted:

i was just thinking about the new GoD theme and thinking hm yeah actually im kinda getting into it yeah and then i remember guerilla tactics and get mad again.

im really glad new bullet club has found its footing. ill admit that i immediately became more interested in bullet club again when they became straight heels again rather than whatever they were before the elite left. i dont care admitting it, i even liked bullet club just wrecking the g1 because theyre bastards. like it made total sense character wise and i dunno i mean i KNOW why yall didnt like it but I did. but yeah ever since they added switchblade its been really starting to gel, and now this KENTA/shibata thing... whew, whatever it is, im loving stoked.

Frankly I never understood where the vitriol for the BC shenanigans last year came from; with the exception of the Kenny/Yano match, they were entirely contained to Tama and Fale's matches, which, like.... it's not as though you missed out on a bunch of 4.5 star classics because of it. It was Tama and Fale. Who gives a poo poo if their matches end in DQs and bullshit? My issue was that they DIDN'T ruin it more, because the G1 is too sacred to ruin with that kind of nonsense. So you had this awkward situation where you're trying to have Bullet Club raising hell and causing a ruckus but they can't actually raise any hell unless it's during their own matches so they just felt pretty de-fanged and quarantined.

But yeah I definitely like current Bullet Club more than the last version, even aside from me being a Switchblade fan, I think the group is in a really good spot with the new additions of ELP and KENTA.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The BC matches last year were not only bad, but the real problem was that despite cheating at all times they lost and looked like complete idiots in just about every match. THAT is what made them look defanged and harmless.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Does anyone know where I can find the gameday thread for the 2007 WWE Hall of Fame? It's the one where they inducted Dusty Rhodes and I'm interested in looking back at everyone's initial reactions to Cody.

I seem to recall at least one, "Give this kid a contract!" post.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gavok posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the gameday thread for the 2007 WWE Hall of Fame? It's the one where they inducted Dusty Rhodes and I'm interested in looking back at everyone's initial reactions to Cody.

I seem to recall at least one, "Give this kid a contract!" post.
Here:

Neodoomium posted:

Someone hire that kid! Look at the promo skills!

Freebird Hayes posted:

It's like if Miz wasn't terrible.

Eugene Jerome posted:

That's Cody?

Brian Pillman's "THAT'S MY LOVE CHILD" Cody?

Really?

Chop Licker posted:

Cody is in OVW huh? Kid can go on the mic. :)

Ayn Frank posted:

Does this Cody guy wrestle too?

edit: Whoa, he's signed, crazy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Many thanks!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ooooh, here's an interesting flashback question w/ detailed responses to it if you click back:

Lamuella from Feb 2011 posted:

Would it actually be possible for a wrestling company to genuinely compete with WWE at a national / international level these days? If so, if this isn't too nerdy a fantasy booking question, what would a company have to do to compete?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Does anyone have old WWF.com/WWE.com videos saved that disappeared in redesigns? Byte This and Code Red episodes, exclusive promos, footage from WWE's "insurance" camera when they rebutted mainstream pieces, the "Mr. McMahon and His rear end" cartoon, etc? Their version of the John Cena CNN clip is on YouTube, and there may be a bad phone-shot copy of a cartoon episode, but that's about it as far as I've seen. There's a LOT of interesting stuff that's vanished, like Vince's uncut Outside the Lines interview, Vince announcing drug testing in a talent meeting with Kurt Angle freaking out, Terry Funk's "Satchel rear end" promo, all sorts of stuff on the web shows, etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coaaab posted:

Ooooh, here's an interesting flashback question w/ detailed responses to it if you click back:

Jerusalem posted:

How would a company rise up to compete with WWE? Apart from all the things mentioned, they'd also need to have an utter and unshakable commitment to probably at least a decade of slow building if not more till they had the fundamentals of their business down/established wrestlers/established fanbase and then they would have to take maddeningly small baby steps to acclimatise themselves to the growth in popularity of their company over the period of another half decade or so and THEN they might be in a position to start perhaps competing with WWE.... which would probably already have noticed them and started cherry-picking their talent by that point.

Given that 95% of would be promotions seem to start on the basis of,"WWE is huge now and I assume it just started up that way, let's also be huge immediately because I am not a good businessman!"..... welp.

Well gently caress, I never once considered for a moment that WWE itself would just make itself so mindnumbingly dull that they'd create the conditions for a company to be seen as a viable alternative with the potential to grow (relatively) quickly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

Does anyone have old WWF.com/WWE.com videos saved that disappeared in redesigns? Byte This and Code Red episodes, exclusive promos, footage from WWE's "insurance" camera when they rebutted mainstream pieces, the "Mr. McMahon and His rear end" cartoon, etc? Their version of the John Cena CNN clip is on YouTube, and there may be a bad phone-shot copy of a cartoon episode, but that's about it as far as I've seen. There's a LOT of interesting stuff that's vanished, like Vince's uncut Outside the Lines interview, Vince announcing drug testing in a talent meeting with Kurt Angle freaking out, Terry Funk's "Satchel rear end" promo, all sorts of stuff on the web shows, etc.

Dammit, poo poo like this is why even now I haven't gotten rid of my old lovely vhs rips of Raw and Smackdown, since I always figured there would come a point where they'd start memory-holing episodes/segments. But of course I never kept any of the miscellaneous stuff like this. I imagine it's still all in their archive at least, but that doesn't really help.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

While I'm not very interested in AEW, I am extremely happy it exists, it's just a shame that the only way it came about was a series of chance occurrences that somehow miraculously converged together. Like imagine if Cody Rhodes had been treated better in WWE, how much of this US Wrestling renaissance wouldn't be happening. Imagine if Okada never went on excursion to TNA, or if his excursion didn't quite line up with the Young Bucks' time there as Generation Me, and they never met, which meant the Bucks don't go to Japan and join Bullet Club, and never form The Elite. Imagine if all the horseshit with AJ Styles' final run in TNA that made him quit didn't happen, or if he went to WWE sooner instead of spending those years in New Japan, raising the stock of Bullet Club after Devitt leaves. If all that stuff hadn't gone down, Cody never makes that bet with Meltzer, and All In never happens.

All that to say, it's really loving depressing what WWE did to the US wrestling industry after buying WCW and ECW. None of the indie feds that sprang up in the years following ever grew to replace them. TNA was a loving joke run by people even dumber than Vince, and ROH is its own weird conversation. It's been almost 20 years and the only reason there's finally some hope for a decent sized alternative in the US is because of all the poo poo I just listed. Really speaks to the loving razing Vince did on the industry here.

Related: pete dunne and all the other nxt uk cops deserve their lot for supporting wwe doing the same exact thing to the british scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What am I missing about NXT UK? It's a good show with good matches and storylines. Why all the hate?