Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:laffo:

Watching that much ATHF to find that many lines for him had to have caused brain damage :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1629631238
h

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, the thread title is from a real mod?

I dont even...

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I was wondering why this was not posted yet.

btw..if you have played/finished WOTC a couple of times, this mod makes the next playthrough a little more fun.

[WOTC] Golden Path Missions Revamp
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1294398423

It simply makes the spawning lists for the main story missions a lot more varied.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, the thread title is from a real mod?

I dont even...

wallow in your despair

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Danaru posted:

Evac All is the best mod just for how good it looks to see all your dudes foomp off the field one after another

Same, and also Lost Autofire for similar reasons. It's fun just clicking a button and watching your dude just magdump on a horde of zombies

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Fangz posted:

holy poo poo never do surgical missions

Still, at least you only lost 3 dudes. That shouldn't ruin a campaign.
Is low profile as bugged as surgical?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Does anyone remember the recommended mod for improving Sparks? It was discussed earlier in the thread but can't seem to find it now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Razakai posted:

Does anyone remember the recommended mod for improving Sparks? It was discussed earlier in the thread but can't seem to find it now.

Mechatronic Warfare

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499767042

Its real good

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Fuuuuuuuuck I forgot the Archon king shows up in June ffffffffff

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So let's go back in history a bit. When the original XCom remake (Enemy Unknown) came out, I played and loved it and beat it. I played it some more and when Enemy Within came out, I got sidetracked with MECs and Gene Mods and all the new stuff, so I never actually BEAT the game with Enemy Within. I did like how the Meld stuff worked in that it WAS timed, but missing the timer was only undesirable and not outright failure or anything I couldn't recover from.

When XCom 2 came out I played it but somehow it didn't strike the same chord in me that the first one did. I found myself more frustrated than anything, mainly because I felt overly pressured by the timers and by the avatar project timer and all that. I prefer going at a slower, but more deliberate and methodical pace. I never beat the game.

A few weeks back I got a new cat, and she's an adorable and demanding little beast. I needed a game that I could start and stop in an instant, so turn-based games are perfect for this; so I started a new XCom:Enemy Within game that I just completed, woo. Now I'm wondering if I should take another look at XCom 2. What do you guys think?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Play XCOM 2, use a mod/cheat to lengthen the timers and Avatar length if they about you. Hooray mods!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

khy posted:

So let's go back in history a bit. When the original XCom remake (Enemy Unknown) came out, I played and loved it and beat it. I played it some more and when Enemy Within came out, I got sidetracked with MECs and Gene Mods and all the new stuff, so I never actually BEAT the game with Enemy Within. I did like how the Meld stuff worked in that it WAS timed, but missing the timer was only undesirable and not outright failure or anything I couldn't recover from.

When XCom 2 came out I played it but somehow it didn't strike the same chord in me that the first one did. I found myself more frustrated than anything, mainly because I felt overly pressured by the timers and by the avatar project timer and all that. I prefer going at a slower, but more deliberate and methodical pace. I never beat the game.

A few weeks back I got a new cat, and she's an adorable and demanding little beast. I needed a game that I could start and stop in an instant, so turn-based games are perfect for this; so I started a new XCom:Enemy Within game that I just completed, woo. Now I'm wondering if I should take another look at XCom 2. What do you guys think?

I found the turn limit in xcom 2 to be utterly infuriating which is partly why I was so thrilled with some of the changes made in War of the Chosen.

For starters, the developers have implemented a system where at the beginning of each month you can select 'guerrilla tactics' which all do different beneficial things. Of the two I'm often most interested in one gives you an extra two turns of leeway and the other stops the timer from moving forward until the squad breaks concealment.

Next is the inclusion of Reapers which allow you to get muuuch closer to enemies while concealed and they also can enter concealment once per mission after having been revealed right out of the box. They have tons and tons of movement points and start with a 50% chance of remaining concealed upon firing at an enemy. Basically no reason to ever worry about pushing forward again and that is huge because it means that you can confidently order your team to take those big double moves that are necessary for getting ahead of the timer. I usually finish missions with 2 or 3 turns to spare even without the guerrilla tactics mentioned above. I still don't think turn limits are fun nor do I enjoy starting a mission and immediately being in a race against time versus failure but I have managed a no-reload commander run just a few weeks ago where I never lost a mission to a timer once. I'd say give it a go!

Edit- Also they have special 'gurrilla operations' which do a ton of different things (mostly all good) and one of them can reduce the avatar counter. They also have a guerilla tactic that knocks off one bar from the avatar counter at the beginning of every month! Very nice to have!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

khy posted:

What do you guys think?

I can't help you on the timers for each mission (I have not played past commander and while I have gotten totally hosed on missions for other reasons, I haven't lost a mission for a timer; personally, I appreciate the reason to keep my rear end in gear). I can tell you though that there are mods to double them, only start them when your team gets discovered, or just disable them as you see fit.

Now, on the Avatar project: relax. You can generally run a plot mission or attack an avatar site or whatever and take the time down a bit.

Overall I say give it a shot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shine posted:

Play XCOM 2, use a mod/cheat to lengthen the timers and Avatar length if they about you. Hooray mods!

Those are built in second wave options these days. You can literally just double both when you start the game which means you have insane amounts of time

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zore posted:

Those are built in second wave options these days. You can literally just double both when you start the game which means you have insane amounts of time

Might be a silly question, but do Second Wave options appear if you haven't beaten the game yet, as the OP hasn't? I thought they were "new game +" type features.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Shine posted:

Might be a silly question, but do Second Wave options appear if you haven't beaten the game yet, as the OP hasn't? I thought they were "new game +" type features.

This, and also I don't have War of the Chosen so I'm wondering what arguments there are in completing the game without it first?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

khy posted:

This, and also I don't have War of the Chosen so I'm wondering what arguments there are in completing the game without it first?

WOTC adds a bunch of stuff to spice up the challenges for experienced players, but it can feel like some really unfair bullshit if that's not what you're looking for. And a rather inconsistent difficulty curve so it can also fool you into thinking you're doing well, then kick you in the expletive when you're not paying attention.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

khy posted:

I’m currently playing through WoTC for the first time having played the base game a bunch when it first came out, personally I’d say it’s definitely worth playing through the base game first. Partly because the base game is extremely fun on its own, and partly because a lot of the new content in WoTC feels like it was designed to shake existing players out of their comfort zones a little and make early-mid game strategic decisions a bit harder (eg new rooms to build complicates early resource management, the fatigue system complicates roster management, the new factions give you additional decisions to make on the overworld map and elsewhere etc..).

Though if the prevalence of timers and the sense of urgency were what you didn’t like about the base game... well, WotC really is not going to improve that for you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd like to also throw out that while mission timers mean business, the Avatar clock is a total red herring in the base game, and reduced to a joke in WotC. Even with the best of plays it's typical for the Avatar meter to fill and start the month-long countdown very early in the game, but it's all just showmanship to give a sense of urgency that's not really there. Once you run the timer down for its month, and remove a pip or two, you'll find that the counter is super easy to push back as it only increments slowly after the first initial bumrush.

tldr: avatar clock is a lie, don't let it stress you.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
enable the console

RemoveFortressDoom [Number] - Removes [Number] levels of Avatar Project progress
Note: You can only remove Avatar progress that isn't from the extra Avatar facilities.
So if you have two facilities that each have 3 bars of progress, your Avatar progress will
not go below 6 until you destroy them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the second wave options are a button underneath the difficulty chooser when making a new game, and they're enabled from the start in XCOM 2, you don't need to beat the game first. i concur that if you don't want to screw with mission timers just enable the option that doubles your time and call it a day.

also super agree with serephina, the avatar project only really has a chance to go off anymore if XCOM is hopelessly behind and disorganized. if you are being threatened by it, the overwhelming possibility is that you've basically already lost anyway and the avatar project is just mercy-killing your campaign.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Coolguye posted:

the second wave options are a button underneath the difficulty chooser when making a new game, and they're enabled from the start in XCOM 2, you don't need to beat the game first.

:confused:

Edit : How is WotC in terms of additional customization options because I want to make all my soldiers look really unique and interesting.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 8, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm only a little bit into it, but Age of Wonders: Planetfall seems pretty great so far. It's Civ by way of Xcom, or maybe Endless Legend would be a better example: 4x sensibilities, but battles get shrunken down to the micro. The difference is between this and EL is that the combat doesn't suck in this. It's pretty clearly Xcom inspired. And it has workshop support, so God knows where this leads. At least on NA / PC, there was an error on the official website that made the price $15 instead of $50, so if that interests you, get while the getting's good.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, why did nobody tell me how badass the modular legacy armor mod is? The TLP armors were cool but I was hella disappointed they were fixed and separate from the normal armor sets. This chops them up into a million little pieces to mix and match with the vanilla armors and whatever mod pieces you have at your leisure. I was a big fan of the Enemy Within carapace armor port for this exact reason, so this turns it into basically the same thing but beat to poo poo and held together with duct tape. I wish there were ragtag versions of the Slingshot and Elite Soldier pack armors too :sigh:

Anyway, posters:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

khy posted:

Edit : How is WotC in terms of additional customization options because I want to make all my soldiers look really unique and interesting.

By default, I honestly do not recall, but pretty much all the best customization mods right now expect WotC, especially the ones that let you mix "hero" class outfit pieces and the armors from the score-attack mode onto regular characters.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

khy posted:

:confused:

man where the gently caress did they go i know i did that crap

i'll check again after i finish work today

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/3FAdtJP.gifv

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Another mod question - what's the general opinion on A Better Advent? I don't particularly trust in the taste of random steam reviewers despite it's positive feedback. Note that aside from the aforementioned Spark mod and a minor Skirmisher buff I'm not really increasing the power of my troops, so I'm mostly wondering if it's going to buff advent far too much.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If you don't want to go full update with A Better Advent there is Bio Division 2.0 that just adds variety to possible pod make ups.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1731235406

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Anyway, posters:

Did Storm abandon the X-Men to go work for XCOM? :stare:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My understanding is that ABA is designed around the use case of you using a bunch of soldier mods etc. that are fun to play with but are also just a little bit ridiculously overpowered. So it does expect you to be more powerful than you would normally be in the vanilla game.

At the very least, if you are using ABA you're going to want to up your squad size.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've used ABA in the past (together with BIO Division and more alien packs, with some slight alterations to spawning rates). It is very cool, but you indeed need more soldiers and better equipment/abilities to counter it properly at legendary.

You can try ABA like that, or make a run with all ABx mods installed as the centerpiece for a more planned/curated experience.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jabor posted:

My understanding is that ABA is designed around the use case of you using a bunch of soldier mods etc. that are fun to play with but are also just a little bit ridiculously overpowered. So it does expect you to be more powerful than you would normally be in the vanilla game.

At the very least, if you are using ABA you're going to want to up your squad size.

Its designed around using the ABB class mods which are random as hell and generally weaker than vanilla classes. Its more that its for squads of 6-8 instead of 4-6.

The ABB classes are super unfun to actually use though unless you like reloading shotguns 1 shell at a time, needing 2 action points to reload cannons etc.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ABA is pretty doable with just a couple of ini changes. add a second slot to all armours, then double the grenade charges for explosive and flashbang.

you can bump up the squad size from four to five, if you want, but I dunno what that last guy is gonna do cuz all the ayys are blind and on fire.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Did Storm abandon the X-Men to go work for XCOM? :stare:

that girl is nowhere near black enough to be storm

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
So... Blizzard?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Coolguye posted:

that girl is nowhere near black enough to be storm

Look scarjo can play whatever role she wants

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TK-42-1 posted:

Look scarjo can play whatever role she wants

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Shine posted:

khy posted:

I don't think XCOM 2 had Second Wave options at all, but War of the Chosen definitely does.