Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I was more talking about talking me out of buying more ball pythons. I was thinking ASF's because they have a lower birthrate than rats or mice. I didn't know they were little assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Important announcement: My frogs are really cute.

This is Dumpling, my Budgett's frog. He likes food and nothing else. He's come to associate humans with food and will try to bite anyone and everyone through the glass. Surprisingly doesn't scream even when I take him out for tank cleaning, although he has peed on me before.

This is Paul, my ACF. He sings at night and goes absolutely apeshit for pellets. Strongest prey drive I have ever seen on any animal ever. Paul was my first foray into frogs in my adult life and he's so good I had to get more.

Taco is my baby pacman frog. He's growing well and super not-picky. I can load his food up with vitamin and calcium powder and he(?) doesn't care so long as it moves. Also eats from tongs super well. Taco is my fiance's favorite. I hope he actually ends up being female because all 3 of my other frogs are males, but I'd honestly be happy either way. We probably have another 4-5 months before we can tell. I got him right after he'd reabsorbed his tail so he's probably around 4 months old now.

Nominally his name is George but we just call him the Tiny Tomate, even though he's actually a rather large tomate now. I recently redid his enclosure and he's a lot less shy and more active now, which is nice to see. He is on a diet.

When my fiance and I buy our first home, we're actually planning on a frog room so I can have more frogs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:siren: lizard poop question :siren:

Is there an easy/recommended way to clean textured "rock" enclosure items with baked on beardy crap? I went with tile substrate so that's easy to clean but god drat do they love to poo poo anywhere and everywhere and get it really caked on to the nice climbing rocks that are harder to clean.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Owlbear Camus posted:

:siren: lizard poop question :siren:

Is there an easy/recommended way to clean textured "rock" enclosure items with baked on beardy crap? I went with tile substrate so that's easy to clean but god drat do they love to poo poo anywhere and everywhere and get it really caked on to the nice climbing rocks that are harder to clean.

I take mine outside and hose them off

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I should have specified I am a miserable apartment dweller.

Right now my leading idea is a soak in a container I earmark only for that and then a rinse over the commode.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I should have specified I am a miserable apartment dweller.

Right now my leading idea is a soak in a container I earmark only for that and then a rinse over the commode.

That sounds about right. Or in the tub/sink really. I’d use 50/50 water/vinegar if you need a pet safe solvent. I made heavy use of a spray bottle full of the stuff with my rabbits’ enclosure and it’ll cut through dried up poo poo/piss no sweat.

Stepping up from that, you can use something like dilute Simple Green or a Method cleaner but I would take stuff out for those types of jobs and rinse heavily, and I wouldn’t use anything beyond water/vinegar in the enclosure itself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do not skimp on the mechanical action for cleaning. By which I mean, get a sturdy scrub brush. Do a soak and then scrub vigorously. I have a scrub brush I keep on the patio that is only for cleaning poop-encrusted stuff with animal-friendly cleansers, but honestly the scrubbing is more important than the cleanser.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That sounds about right. Or in the tub/sink really. I’d use 50/50 water/vinegar if you need a pet safe solvent. I made heavy use of a spray bottle full of the stuff with my rabbits’ enclosure and it’ll cut through dried up poo poo/piss no sweat.

Stepping up from that, you can use something like dilute Simple Green or a Method cleaner but I would take stuff out for those types of jobs and rinse heavily, and I wouldn’t use anything beyond water/vinegar in the enclosure itself.
A reptile guide I read not too long ago had great things to say about brown listerine as a reptile tank disinfectant.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

A reptile guide I read not too long ago had great things to say about brown listerine as a reptile tank disinfectant.

You might as well save some cash and use dilute ethanol and mint+eucalyptus extracts, since that's basically what listerine is minus some other compounds.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I saw a youtube video where they kept an old penny in the reptile water to cut down on microbes. I was wondering if the copper infused water was a good ifea for reptiles, I know it's disaster for a reef tank.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Dregs posted:

I saw a youtube video where they kept an old penny in the reptile water to cut down on microbes. I was wondering if the copper infused water was a good ifea for reptiles, I know it's disaster for a reef tank.

I’d use a filter/do water changes first

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lungboy posted:

I'm a complete novice to reptiles, always wanted them as a kid but my parents flat out stopped me, so I grew up with various cats instead. Now I have kids, I'm starting to think about pets for them as I think they are very good for children to be around. My wife is not a fan of furry creatures due to fleas etc but is very open to reptiles. As such I've been reading as much as I can find online about various reptiles and which might be suitable for a family with small children and I'm pretty settled on a Blue Tongued Skink. Does this seem reasonable for a total beginner? Can anyone recommend a good setup and a breeder to buy from in the UK?

No Skink fanciers around?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lungboy posted:

No Skink fanciers around?

There are a couple of skink owners around. BTS’s can be pricey and while their diets are dead-easy they need really intense basking spots to do well. You sure you don’t want to start with a leopard gecko? Not that a skink is at all unreasonable for a beginner, as long as you’re willing to drop the cash to do things right from the get-go.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So when I had to put two sand boas together for a few days in April or so, due to some housing issues otherwise, I didn't worry because they were both females. They weren't together long. Easy enough, and no fighting or any issues.

So I was told.

One female dropped me 10 babies a few days ago. The other 'female' is looking decidedly snarky.

At least there's only 10 babies. All anery like both parents. Whoops.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

So when I had to put two sand boas together for a few days in April or so, due to some housing issues otherwise, I didn't worry because they were both females. They weren't together long. Easy enough, and no fighting or any issues.

So I was told.

One female dropped me 10 babies a few days ago. The other 'female' is looking decidedly snarky.

How far are you from MA?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There are a couple of skink owners around. BTS’s can be pricey and while their diets are dead-easy they need really intense basking spots to do well. You sure you don’t want to start with a leopard gecko? Not that a skink is at all unreasonable for a beginner, as long as you’re willing to drop the cash to do things right from the get-go.

Yeah I've seen they aren't cheap but I don't mind spending to do it properly. I've heard Leo's aren't usually too fond of handling and being crepuscular can limit interaction with them. If that's not true then I'd happily investigate Leo's as I think they are beautiful.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I was told.

Sandy snabies :kimchi:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I was told.

I have room to rehome one if you don't have other options already. Just pm me if you need!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I was told.

So how many are you mailing me cowslips

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
When are we getting baby snake pics?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Pics after their first shed! And I'm in AZ, it's over 100 so no one is being mailed nowhere!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pics after their first shed! And I'm in AZ, it's over 100 so no one is being mailed nowhere!

Yay pics!

That makes sense, it's stupid hot in MO as well, not shipping weather at all.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sunny has been super active the past couple of days, and I regret not getting a video of it. I think I'm gonna work on getting more vertical space in there for him again these next couple of weeks as well as rebuild his basking mountain slightly differently and maybe put another hammock in. There's tons of area above that is completely open and is ripe for upper level hides/roaming

:smaug:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I've purchased my first snake finally...a baby corn snake, looking forward to getting her on tues!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Congrats on the baby corn! Corns were my first species and I have come super close to buying an Okeetee baby at a show recently.

Here are a couple of my jerk carpet hatchies. Followed by a pic of mom and her likeness that is on me forever. These babies should be really nice and yellow.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

This is the purchase photo...she's a butter corn.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

The Dregs posted:

I am really, really, trying to resist buying a couple more BP's already, these snakes are so cool. Also, some asf rats ostensibly to feed them, but also because breeding them looks fun too. Talk me out of this

I wouldn't recommend ASFs just because it can be hard to switch them back to regular mice/rats. I'm hesitant to buy ASF eaters for that reason.

I've bred my own rats in the past (and may again in the future) but for a while now I've just been ordering bulk frozen from Big Cheese every 3-4 months. I tried a few other suppliers before them (RodentPro, Gourmet Rodent, Arctic) but Big Cheese has the best quality I've found.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

HungryMedusa posted:

Congrats on the baby corn! Corns were my first species and I have come super close to buying an Okeetee baby at a show recently.

Here are a couple of my jerk carpet hatchies. Followed by a pic of mom and her likeness that is on me forever. These babies should be really nice and yellow.

Do you ever sell any of your hatchlings? What sort of prices do they command?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So new ball python who refused to eat. Surprise! Rat pup didn't go to waste though, Blue Tongued Skink got a very nice treat.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Crocoduck posted:

Do you ever sell any of your hatchlings? What sort of prices do they command?

I usually sell them for about $150 at my local reptile expo. These will be about that, but they are known to not be pure jungle carpet - they have 6.25% coastal carpetlineage. If they had a full jungle lineage, I would ask $300 each.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Those look really nice, I didn't even know there were smaller species of carpet pythons. Might be an option if I can find some locally.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Reposting this BP care guide since there's recent BP chat: https://docdro.id/XmUFBcA

The guide has never failed me, from hides to feeding weight, stuck shed, etc.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is a starter set like this a trap for a total beginner to keeping reptiles, or are they actually pretty decent to find your feet?

e: any recomendations for a first pet between: Rankin's Dragon, Corn Snake, Leopard Gecko or Blue Tongued Skink? The snake seems like it might be the easiest to start off with, as it doesn't need a UVB lamp or food additives, plus as a geologist the Granite morph appeals.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 16, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You really can't go wrong with a corn snake or a leopard gecko to start out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Is a starter set like this a trap for a total beginner to keeping reptiles, or are they actually pretty decent to find your feet?

e: any recomendations for a first pet between: Rankin's Dragon, Corn Snake, Leopard Gecko or Blue Tongued Skink? The snake seems like it might be the easiest to start off with, as it doesn't need a UVB lamp or food additives, plus as a geologist the Granite morph appeals.

Leopard geckos don’t need UVB either, the one downside is the live feeders. Depending on where on the aesthetic/hoarding spectrum you live you can also keep leopard geckos and corn snakes in plastic containers on paper towel so that enclosure can be muuuuuch cheaper than what the kit is offering- tho that kit enclosure looks quite pretty.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

Those look really nice, I didn't even know there were smaller species of carpet pythons. Might be an option if I can find some locally.

Thanks! Jungles, Darwins and Papuan/IJ carpets tend to stay smaller. Coastals and Bredli get larger. The nice thing about carpets are even big ones are pretty slender and easy to handle compared to heavier bodied snakes. If you need a local carpet python breeder recommendation, feel free to pm me.

For a first herp, corn snakes are great. I never had a leopard gecko, but our crested gecko is pretty easy. The fruit food mix is the easiest thing I’ve had to feed a herp. We do give her bug treats though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think for starting snakes the 2 easiest in my experience are probably corn snakes and Rosy boas. Both have pretty low care requirements compared to pythons, never get too big, and rosys in particular are good for learning to hold snakes because if they decide to try to escape....well, their top speed is 1mph. They aren't going to be going anywhere.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Rosy Boas sound perfect actually, but they seem to be very hard to come by in the UK. I'm enquiring with my local reptile shop if they can source them.

e: no luck locally, nearest I can find is a 5 hour drive. There's a Dodoma Kenyan Sand Boa just up the road, they seem to share a lot of the same characteristics that make Rosy Boas so good as a beginner snake, is that correct?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 17, 2019

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
One thing to keep in mind is if you're away for a few days on vacation or whatnot, what will the petsitter be comfortable doing? A snake will be ok if you have friends/family willing to refill water bowls, check heat and humidity levels, etc. I've never had to ask anyone to step in and feed my guy because he can go for a week without eating. If you get a beardy, make sure you have someone ok with handling live feeders regularly. You don't want to be out of the country when cousin Bob realizes that handling crickets isn't his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

hyperhazard posted:

One thing to keep in mind is if you're away for a few days on vacation or whatnot, what will the petsitter be comfortable doing? A snake will be ok if you have friends/family willing to refill water bowls, check heat and humidity levels, etc. I've never had to ask anyone to step in and feed my guy because he can go for a week without eating. If you get a beardy, make sure you have someone ok with handling live feeders regularly. You don't want to be out of the country when cousin Bob realizes that handling crickets isn't his thing.

Luckily I have a couple of friends who wouldn't have a problem with mice or crickets. This is the Sand Boa that's for sale: