Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Have they said definitively if this will have cross play or not? Discussions on this are usually ancient or, more recently, uninformed people just loling at Sony and cross play. Have the devs unambiguously said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Oh poo poo I haven't even tried to set up my HOTAS and pedals with NMS. Might have to stick with PC if that works well.

I've got mismatched thrustmasters because the T16000 is the only left handed one offered and isn't very good, which makes it feel like my spaceship is a hacked together junker

Just like my real life vehicles

e: Oh my god i just realized i can play Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer for N64 with the two sticks.

Seems like NMS is going to have to wait.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 9, 2019

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Lookin real forward to milkin space cow udders in VR like a real jedi

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As someone interacting with animals in NMS only through scanning and blasting, I'm more stoked about the new map. The regular old galaxy map was always kind of confusing for me to use, there were tons of times where I was just struggling with the interface for what felt an eternity instead of actually playing the loving game

Hopefully the new galaxy map is a huge step up

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Macintosh HD posted:

Have they said definitively if this will have cross play or not? Discussions on this are usually ancient or, more recently, uninformed people just loling at Sony and cross play. Have the devs unambiguously said?

Historically they've been separate universes and there's been nothing to contradict that with this new release. On the IGN video Sean was talking about the people you'd see in the Nexus and mentioned "depending on platform" which I reckon means no cross play.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah there's no cross play, but considering how they've said they're committed to adding things to the game for the foreseaable future, I wouldn't discount cross-play down the line, or increased player counts. Seems like they're really responding to things the community wants and I'd imagine those two are pretty high up on the list now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Powershift posted:

I've got mismatched thrustmasters because the T16000 is the only left handed one offered and isn't very good, which makes it feel like my spaceship is a hacked together junker

Just like my real life vehicles

Nothing will beat the time I hooked the hotas, rudder pedals, wheel, gear stick and car pedals up at the same time and played Elite Dangerous just to see if it would work. It was, of course incredibly stupid, but I have to admit that going from sticks to wheel when I landed and dropped the space car made me feel cool as hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Nothing will beat the time I hooked the hotas, rudder pedals, wheel, gear stick and car pedals up at the same time and played Elite Dangerous just to see if it would work. It was, of course incredibly stupid, but I have to admit that going from sticks to wheel when I landed and dropped the space car made me feel cool as hell.

I do the same in Farm Simulator, which is like what you described but much more intense. Driving Some of the logging machines, I'm going to steering with a 900 degree wheel, going forward and back with the pedals, h-gate shifter with the real manual mod, and controlling the crane with the two sticks. The stock vehicles and a lot of the better mods have the actual in game sticks move relative to the function on the actual machine, so i can map it all to match the actual machine movements. I can also plug the wheel power in which sets the force feedback resistance to 100% for a good arm workout.

When i was selling rocks i got crazy good and operating the forklift i had, almost to an art. If it didn't tip over so quickly i could probably load 12 pallets on a deck trailer in under a minute. It would be cool to get that proficient in the logging machines.

If i only had one more arm.

Anyways, it would be cool if they gave us a tractor to harvest our space mushrooms. Thanks for listening to my podcast, don't forget to like and subscribe.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Powershift posted:

I do the same in Farm Simulator, which is like what you described but much more intense. Driving Some of the logging machines, I'm going to steering with a 900 degree wheel, going forward and back with the pedals, h-gate shifter with the real manual mod, and controlling the crane with the two sticks. The stock vehicles and a lot of the better mods have the actual in game sticks move relative to the function on the actual machine, so i can map it all to match the actual machine movements. I can also plug the wheel power in which sets the force feedback resistance to 100% for a good arm workout.

When i was selling rocks i got crazy good and operating the forklift i had, almost to an art. If it didn't tip over so quickly i could probably load 12 pallets on a deck trailer in under a minute. It would be cool to get that proficient in the logging machines.

If i only had one more arm.

Anyways, it would be cool if they gave us a tractor to harvest our space mushrooms. Thanks for listening to my podcast, don't forget to like and subscribe.

Gotta be honest, that sounds incredibly cool and fun and now I want to try it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally being able to sit down was my big ask, so anything else is gravy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah there's no cross play, but considering how they've said they're committed to adding things to the game for the foreseaable future, I wouldn't discount cross-play down the line, or increased player counts. Seems like they're really responding to things the community wants and I'd imagine those two are pretty high up on the list now.

I thought Sony wasn't allowing it? If they won't allow it for Minecraft, I don't see them changing their mind for NMS.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
New stuff sounds cool, will probs start a new save when the update hits.

I guess for me the elephant in the room now with all these extra multiplayer and social hub etc is how long can we expect this poo poo to work? Like, I'm sure keeping the servers going for the player base is a non-trivial amount of money and they aren't doing $$$ microtransactions so.......

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mayveena posted:

I thought Sony wasn't allowing it? If they won't allow it for Minecraft, I don't see them changing their mind for NMS.

It seems to be kind of a game to game basis thing, there are some cross-play games on Playstation already so unless Sony has explicitly said otherwise, I can't see why NMS wouldn't do it at some point.

Xik posted:

New stuff sounds cool, will probs start a new save when the update hits.

I guess for me the elephant in the room now with all these extra multiplayer and social hub etc is how long can we expect this poo poo to work? Like, I'm sure keeping the servers going for the player base is a non-trivial amount of money and they aren't doing $$$ microtransactions so.......

They've said they're committed to updating the game and I doubt they would've invested so heavily in online unless they knew they'd be able to keep it up for as long as people were interested in playing it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A number of PSVR games allow crossplay, but only because Sony had to recognize the audiences were so small they’d all be DOA if segregated. Their recent openness to non-VR interoperability appears to be a direct result of pressure from Fortnite.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/one_t_matt/status/1159991960528142344?s=21

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I bought the Steam version on sale a month or two back in anticipation of the VR update. Should I bother firing it up now to get familiar with things or just wait for the update in case they rebalance stuff?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Think I'll pick this up for vr (hopefully I can run it, rx580, 16gb ram, i5 4570) but I am kind of interesting in how the transition for walking around to flying is.I have a thrustmaster hotas4 and would be neat if I could designate where my chair is, then just stand up, move away, and walk around, but I'm guessing it won't be that smooth.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait if I am in the middle of my playthrough they are gonna reset the whole galaxy? How will that affect my save?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i dont think they are doing any kind of terrain changes or procgen modification with this update so you should be fine

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

lmfao

I'm currently mounting dual joysticks to my recliner so i can fly space planes in style, but i guess, yeah, computers are entirely immobile, completely incompatible with TVs, and limited to one per household, so i guess it's worth giving up the opportunity to do that.

I play flight sims on my PC, I know it's entirely possible I could move all this poo poo around and hook up my large screen TV but I'm not gonna do that for a pretty casual game like NMS. I just wanna cruise around planets and build a cool base well lounging on my couch.

PC and console gaming fill different niches depending on what kind of gaming mood I'm in.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Popete posted:

I play flight sims on my PC, I know it's entirely possible I could move all this poo poo around and hook up my large screen TV but I'm not gonna do that for a pretty casual game like NMS. I just wanna cruise around planets and build a cool base well lounging on my couch.

PC and console gaming fill different niches depending on what kind of gaming mood I'm in.
Just run a cable to the TV one time, and use a wireless controller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have VR, I’d give the motion controls a shot in the ship. That way you can just stand up and sit down and not fumble for different controllers.

I used to think a virtual HOTAS would suck until I tried Ultrawings, which proves it can be really good

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Khablam posted:

Just run a cable to the TV one time, and use a wireless controller.

Didn't Steam even release a wireless TV connection so you wouldn't even need a cable for that these days. Outside of advanced control set ups and VR I guess, pretty much everything for the PC can be wireless these days. Mouse, keyboard, joypad, headphones, and the connection to the TV.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't Steam even release a wireless TV connection so you wouldn't even need a cable for that these days. Outside of advanced control set ups and VR I guess, pretty much everything for the PC can be wireless these days. Mouse, keyboard, joypad, headphones, and the connection to the TV.

My Samsung TV has a Steam Link app and it works flawlessly.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My Samsung TV has a Steam Link app and it works flawlessly.

Hahaha I work for a company that does data analysis for Samsung smart TVs and one.of our executives was at a town hall meeting bragging about all the data they get from users as we all sat there kind of scared

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Legs Benedict posted:

i dont think they are doing any kind of terrain changes or procgen modification with this update so you should be fine

oh they definitely are. There have been a buncha people going crazy because the grass looks like it did in 1.0 or 1.1

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Is that good or bad?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The people who are excited about this feel that the grass was toned down at some point and hasn't looked this wild or colorful for a long time, so good I guess?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Finally being able to sit down was my big ask, so anything else is gravy.

Speaking of sitting down, where can I reliably get star silk? Since I haven't seen it at any of the trade terminals I've been to, and I wanna make a chair for my bunker

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of sitting down, where can I reliably get star silk? Since I haven't seen it at any of the trade terminals I've been to, and I wanna make a chair for my bunker

You can buy it at space stations in wealthy/affluent systems if I recall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

as expected. using 2 sticks in this game is a poo poo show.

In farming simulator you can just map whatever axis of whatever is plugged in to whatever function.

This i needed x360ce to emulate a controller, and vjoy to combine the two into 1 input, And the thrustmaster software to turn some of the buttons into keyboard keys for functions the game wouldn't let me map to a controller.

There seems to be a little lag, not exactly surprising but it would be nice to find what is causing it.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
So I appreciate Minecraft, Subnautica, Starbound etc, but back at the time of the original NMS release I kept reading how the game effectively had very little depth and you got tired of it within a couple of hours. I'm thinking of poking at this again now that it's had time to stew. Am I going to be disappointed, given those other games that I mentioned?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DreadCthulhu posted:

So I appreciate Minecraft, Subnautica, Starbound etc, but back at the time of the original NMS release I kept reading how the game effectively had very little depth and you got tired of it within a couple of hours. I'm thinking of poking at this again now that it's had time to stew. Am I going to be disappointed, given those other games that I mentioned?

NMS is the game I have the most hours in, between it, Minecraft and Subnautica.

I bounced off the latter two.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Having played a good amount of Minecraft in VR I hope they didnt do some stupid poo poo and make it a playspace centric type thing. Its nice to have that option, but my experience in minecraft was vr sessions even sitting down were like marathons. No one in their right mind wants to stand in a cockpit. Please for the love of god make the default for this game a sitting space arrangement.

Im also dreading that as most things already are that WMR support is DOA for this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

idgi

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

DreadCthulhu posted:

The new patch that adds a ton of stuff isn't out until the 14th so no one can give an honest answer until then.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Probably a crack at a lovely meme. I crossed a meme on reddit with Sean Murray on a unicorn, so probably something to do with that.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I haven't played those other games, but I've been playing NMS since release. To me the biggest feature implemented since release is base building. You can building anywhere on planets and there's lots of structures to use to help create unique bases. According to update it's going to be even better with electrical systems and there's going to be farming mechanics. So yea, the main selling point of the game is dicking around in your base and shooting the poo poo with other people.

Questing in the game is still pretty weak. You have your typical kill creatures quests on nearby planet, kill pirates in space, scan flora or fauna on this planet type stuff. There are some main quests, but are mandatory in order to start base building, or to get some blueprints to open the world up to crafting.

I did read that planet exploration is going to be less boring?? I don't know how, but the third pillar of the update is going to be pretty robust so we'll have to wait until Wednesday to see what everything is.

If you have a good VR headset, I would say this should be an instant buy.

You may want to ask your question again Wednesday after we see how well everything is implemented, but to me I think it's worth buying.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I played NMS after release but before the sea update and the update that let you get a freighter for free and still put 160 hours into it. I haven't had the will to start a new game with the new stuff yet (and I'd as soon not try to update everything in my existing save because I'd be so lost) but it's certainly worth it on sale if exploration and flying about space is a thing you like.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DreadCthulhu posted:

At release, pretty much all you could do in the game was fly to different planets, look at them, and buy upgrades so that flying to planets and looking at them was faster and less risky. This is where the reports of little depth or staying power came from. But since then, Hello Games has patched in all of the following:

-Base building
-Crafting
-Vehicles (other than spaceships)
-Missions
-Multiplayer
-Fleet management
-A storyline

And on wednesday they will add, among other things:

-VR
-Better multiplayer with social/matchmaking features
-Electricity in basebuilding similar to Minecraft redstone
-Some kind of food cooking system
-The ability to ride animals

It's practically a brand new game compared to launch and it has much greater depth and more ways to approach playing it. The corresponding elements aren't as deep as in the games you named but it has all of them in one place.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pulling screenshots off the PS4 version because I'll probably never play it again after next week.

Two views of the same place

Sci-fi paperback cover vibes