Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

I have a fat melon head.

I want a full helmet.

Where I'm learning to ride, I.e. doing my CBT, their L and XL helmets are still too tight and I never can get my ears in without them folding, which hurts.

What's a good helmet brand for fat, round melon-like heads?

I'm in the UK, in Scotland (if that matters).

I also have a large noggin.

A few years ago, before I realized exactly how large my head is, I went in for boxing headgear and asked to see the Large. The sales guy put it on my head and said my ears didn't line up, and fitted me for an XL. It seemed a bit ridiculous to me to have an XL, but it fit really nicely.

Come time to get a motorcycle helmet, I put a soft tape measure around my head and measured 62cm. Sizing charts said that was XL so I've ordered a couple helmets in XL and they both fit.

So I'd advise putting a tape measure around your forehead, baseball cap style, and see what the measurement is. That will give you a good base for reading sizing charts.

The only other thing is that you said your head is round and helmet manufacturers are incorporating different oval shapes for helmets now - "intermediate oval" etc. You probably want to test fit a helmet or two in person to see if that's a problem for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have a big 'ol melon with pokey ears, and I've found that if you buy a helmet that has cut-outs for integrated comms (e.g. Shoei RF-1100/GT-air or UK equivalent) you can simply not fit ther comms, and use the extra space for your giant dumbo ears! Seriously made a world of difference for me.

When I rode 6000 miles in one go I did develop small blisters on my ear tips from removing and installing my helmet on my head though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I lost a ton of weight and am very lean now so I can fit into euro sizes 48 (38"-40") top and 44 bottom (28"-30") so I've been replacing my gear which I've been doing through clearances and buying used stuff. But I also have a bunch of old gear now that doesn't fit me. Anyone interested in a Dainese D-Frame jacket in Euro 60 (46.5"-48"+ chest) or a Joe Rocket Survivor textile suit in XL short or an old Joe Rocket ballistic mesh jacket in XL Also have some Draggin Jeans in 40x30 and Rocket Jeans in 34 Short. I should have some other Alpinestars and BMW stuff as well but I think I lost it in a move. Not looking to make any money but just clearing it out for anyone who wants it. I just need shipping and any additional nominal low price you're willing to contribute.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

not my size but how did you like the Survivor one piece? Also looking at the much more expensive Klim Hardanger

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

A MIRACLE posted:

not my size but how did you like the Survivor one piece? Also looking at the much more expensive Klim Hardanger
It was really good considering the price but clearly well below Klim, Roadcrafter and the like in quality. The Survivor is cut pretty generously for American physiques and so is a bit baggy in the larger sizes but has snaps and velcro tabs to tighten it up. It has a nice warm zip in liner for cooler weather and is ok in warmer weather with vents open and liner out. I ride in inclement weather all the time but somehow wearing the Survivor somehow always guaranteed hot dry weather so I never got a chance to ride it in the rain.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some manufacturers have different pad sizes, as well. I swapped out the standard medium pad in my RF-1200 for the thicker one and it fit much better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

alr posted:

Grab the straps of the helmet near the base and pull outward as you slide it on/off, this should give you enough space for comfort.

This is good advice. Also most people when they first start riding pull the helmet directly down onto their head because that makes sense, but the actual proper move is to put your forehead in first with the chin bar roughly level with your mouth, and pivot the helmet down (this will also avoid displacing earplugs and keep your hair back if either of those are an issue).

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I stopped at a tag sale today, mostly furniture and trash like most, when the guy running it tells me that he has something I might like. He goes into his garage and comes back with a ratty old tank bag. He looks at it like it was a lost child and told me that he had to get rid of his Yamaha 1300, and that this was the last thing he kept from it. He opened it up, pulled out a pair of glasses and a pair of gloves, then looked wistfully at them and put the gloves back in.

He asks me to just give him a couple bucks so I hand him a fiver. He gives me $3 in change.

So I have a new tank bag, and it cleaned up pretty nice! It just comes with the baggage of watching a man give final closure to his hopes and dreams.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Anyone have any experience with these boots? They look nice and are cheap-ish.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
At that price point, it's going to be like any other basic boot. You'll be lucky to get more than a season or two out of them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just FYI "unrestricted range of motion" (from the ad copy) is exactly what you do not want in a motorcycle boot, if you can help it

if you crash you want your foot to stay in its normal position relative to your leg so that your ankle doesn't shatter, and a rigid boot is the best way to keep it there. you can find some good motorcycle boots that are tolerable for walking around in, but you won't find anything that is ideal for both riding and hiking. my daineses essentially only allow your foot to rotate forwards and backwards just enough to work the controls -- everything else is locked in place. that's excellent on the bike but it makes even going down stairs a bit of a funny walk. i just keep a pair of shoes in my tail bag if I know i'm going somewhere that the boots won't be appropriate

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Neo_Crimson posted:

Anyone have any experience with these boots? They look nice and are cheap-ish.

Oxford *anything* will last about 6-12 months of sustained repeated use and will then promptly fall the gently caress apart. Source: my old roommate's boots and my 120$ motorcycle cover

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Okay then, any recommendations for short boots in the $140-160 range?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Neo_Crimson posted:

I shopped around a while ago and ended up with these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-square-sport-boots This is an older model, they have other and newer variants that are a little longer/have more airflow now.

Haven't crashed them so can't speak to that. They don't look it from the outside but are really sturdy. The sole, toe, and heel all feel like they'd take some serious damage. There is a strip of solid ankle support on each side too which is one of the big reasons I went with them, that and the laces. They're way more comfortable than I thought they'd be too, I've worn them to work and walked around in them for an hour or so at a time on a few occasions.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

here's a start

If you're only looking at short boots be aware they won't have much if any protection for your shin.

Good boot brands:
Alpinestars
Sidi
Dainese
TCX
Forma

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

And from that list these were awesome but just didn't feel like they'd stay on my feet at all so I had to find some with laces: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-1-r-vented-boots
Also ankle protection just really wasn't there, I mean, even for a short boot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

here's a start

If you're only looking at short boots be aware they won't have much if any protection for your shin.

Good boot brands:
Alpinestars
Sidi
Dainese
TCX
Forma

I'm 5'3'', even some short boots will go half-way up to my knee. I think I'll be fine. :v:

Thanks!

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 23, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know what exactly you're looking for in a boot, but just FYI even fairly protective boots can be more comfortable than you think. I wear these everywhere, obviously I change them at work, but I'll wear them to concerts, etc and they're surprisingly comfortable. I wouldn't want to go walk miles in them, but it's not like you're wearing ski boots. After your head, your hands and feet are where I want to wear the most protection, mostly because they're both important in day to day life and also full of small, easily broken bones.

Forma Adventure boots (or maybe the low version?) used to be recommended in here all the time, but they're above your price range. You can get good deals on barely used gear though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm 5'3'', even some short boots will go half-way up to my knee. I think I'll be fine. :v:

Thanks!

:yikes:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

here's a start

Good boot brands:
Alpinestars
Sidi
Dainese
TCX
Forma

RevIt (expensive)
Daytona (also expensive)

I prefer short boots because my riding pants have shin armor, which interferes with a taller boot. If you're just using riding jeans or something with just knee protection, a tall boot with shin protection would make more sense.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Horse Clocks posted:

What tools do people use to plan routes and navigate them?

I have a Garmin Zumo that’s good for navigation, but I struggle to plan routes with it. It’s a long and tedious process of using google street view, ‘Best Biking Roads’ app to find good waypoints and then enter them by address, else you get routed down motorways or single track dirt roads.

Google maps on a phone is good enough for short journeys, but doesn’t support waypoints. You can set up a multi destination trip, but navigation stops at each destination until you hit continue. Plus the navigation is hit and miss as to how accurate/clear/timely it is.

I tried the garmin app, but don’t have full time access to a windows machine to do it, and couldn’t really make head or tails of using it.

Theres ‘inRoute’ on iOS/iPad that supports waypoint navigation, but is £15 for 25 waypoints, or £30/yr for more, which is a bit rich.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I can't tell you what you should use, but I can warn you away from one you shouldn't. I've tried using Rever a few times for both planning and navigation. I originally got it because it gives you access to a Butler maps overlay, and for planning routes I found that it's not that bad. It's terrible at navigation, though. Both times I've used it for navigating the app has crashed during the rides multiple times, and (perhaps unsurprisingly) it doesn't give you any kind of audio indication that it's closing down, so you only figure it out after you've been riding a suspiciously long time without being given a direction.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I too would like a recommendation for a good GPS in the UK, good for finding nice motorcycling routes to places.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

I too would like a recommendation for a good GPS in the UK, good for finding nice motorcycling routes to places.

Set off in general direction of place you're going, follow the road signs for the silliest place names until you get bored, then use the Google Maps to take you the rest of the way.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Finger Prince posted:

RevIt (expensive)
Daytona (also expensive)

I prefer short boots because my riding pants have shin armor, which interferes with a taller boot. If you're just using riding jeans or something with just knee protection, a tall boot with shin protection would make more sense.

I'm currently using the Dainese Dyno Pro D1 shoes since the pants I use have shin protection built in.

I really like how armored the shoes are, but they are just too narrow. I thought they might break in a bit, but after a couple months now they still squeeze the hell out of my foot and I can only ride for about an hour before it gets too uncomfortable.

So I've been looking for new boots. I tried the Alpinestars SMX-1 R vented and Alpinestars SP-1 v2 Vented and while they are way more comfortable, they seem like a big step down in terms of protection.

Any recommendations? Should I look at taller boots again?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fletcher posted:

I'm currently using the Dainese Dyno Pro D1 shoes since the pants I use have shin protection built in.

I really like how armored the shoes are, but they are just too narrow. I thought they might break in a bit, but after a couple months now they still squeeze the hell out of my foot and I can only ride for about an hour before it gets too uncomfortable.

So I've been looking for new boots. I tried the Alpinestars SMX-1 R vented and Alpinestars SP-1 v2 Vented and while they are way more comfortable, they seem like a big step down in terms of protection.

I really liked the RevIt Pioneer h20/outdry boots, comfy and the boa closure is really nice, but I couldn't justify the price over the Daytona roadstar GTX (they were $100 more expensive and I was already pushing the boat out on the daytonas). I see they're both the same price on revzilla though, so if the boot fits...
Also you may not need waterproofing, which can save you a ton of money.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

Dainese boots have space for the shin armour in Dainese trousers that might or might not work for other shin armour (Dainese armour comes down a lot further and is more contoured than most others).

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Been on a crusade to replace a bunch of damaged gear, and picked up these boots from TCX:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-hero-wp-boots

Surprisingly comfortable and look great in person. Seems they provide the needed protection too.

I also got a pair of these crazy superhero boots, but they don't fit under my riding jeans. So I'm either going to have to stuff my jeans into the boots like some kind of weirdo, or get different riding pants.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-drifter-wp-boots

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to try some textile pants. My Resurgence jeans are really nice but they are super swampy until I get up to speed. I guess it doesn't help that the jeans are fairly form fitting, and with the d3o inserts leave little to the imagination. I guess my options are to look at looser jeans since now that I think about it the textiles probably wouldn't fare any better if they are snug.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't think there's such a thing as non-swampy riding jeans. None of the pairs I have are comfortable north of 80F, which makes sense since they're either denim+kevlar+liner or abrasion-resistant denim blend and a liner.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Looser jeans plus high quality boxer briefs are key. Something wicking with compression and very low friction against the jeans.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Under armour type compression boxers for sport use are great if you're going to be in the seat for a while. Plus they make your rear end look great.

I have these they own. I've worn them to weddings and nobody knew I was a pervert.

The back started to go after 6 months but I glued some leather patches in so my heel slides up and down just fine now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I love TCX because they have enough give to fit my wide rear end feet although they are not technically wide sizes now that the Sidi Mega lines are not available. I have the Jupiter 4 Goretex for rainy city days and the Metropolitan in case I need to go straight into a work meeting. I have the Sidi Vertigo Mega for a more racing oriented boot.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Looking to buy a winter jacket to put a heated liner underneath so I don't need anything too insulated, just fairly windproof. Anyone have experience with these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-tempest-2-d-dry-jacket

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-jacket

I'm not in love with them or anything so if you've got better ideas let me know. I'm typically goon sized, so maybe a brand that's more "generous" in their sizing.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

The Kathmandu is great for cold weather. I love mine, it's downside is your upside: weak ventilation for the summer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like I need a bandana or something. Weather was fairly cool today and the wind liner in my textile Dainese did me ok but my neck was cool as heck.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Get a buff / neck gaiter or a small silk scarf. Maybe invest in a balaclava if you're planning to ride when it's cold.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just get a Balaclava meant to be worn under a helmet, they're a godsend when temps get low, a necessity if you plan on riding near freezing, you want one with a thick neck-nose-mouth area, and a very thin head covering, they'll be sold at your nearest sporting goods store soon.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Klim got a nice range of balaclavas. if a bit overpriced. I have the https://www.klim.com/Covert-Balaclava-3085-000 and the https://www.klim.com/Arctic-Balaclava-5037-000 .
If you combine the covert with a fleece buff on the outside it can handle down to sub freezing with no issues.

I'd first just look into a neck gaiter that is actually wind proof, I only use balaclava if it's below 10c/50f.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds good. I'd like to avoid a balaclava for NOW, mainly because I don't plan on riding when it's seriously cold out -- the bike will just get winterized when it's absolutely brutal out. I'll find a gaiter though, and I already ordered a few bandanas just because you can never have enough bandanas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Klim got a nice range of balaclavas. if a bit overpriced. I have the https://www.klim.com/Covert-Balaclava-3085-000 and the https://www.klim.com/Arctic-Balaclava-5037-000 .
If you combine the covert with a fleece buff on the outside it can handle down to sub freezing with no issues.

I'd first just look into a neck gaiter that is actually wind proof, I only use balaclava if it's below 10c/50f.

I bought the arctic for a snow race and one caution - if you have a beard then over time moisture from your breath will end up forming ice that freezes your beard to the balaclava. I don't really know that there's any actual answer to that but man it's a surprise.