Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Weatherman posted:

My TVs have Internet ports.

I don't connect them.

This has served me well for ten years.

My chromecast had a bug when viewing some dolby vision netflix shows. I called to complain. They asked me to use the streaming app built into my TV, and i made her wait while i put it on my wifi, downloaded system updates, made a samsung account, and connected to netflix to tell her, "no this one looks okay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

All the TVs sold today are smart TVs full of ads because that's they subsidize the prices that way and otherwise they'd be priced out of the range where people can afford to regularly update their hardware. It's part of the slow creeping reduction of the buying power of the average american, kind of like how food container sizes keep getting smaller while the price stays the same. Easier to hide the fact that wages have been hosed over for decades that way! :toot:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to a wings bar for dinner with my wife and they said it was happy hour

the bill comes and we discover drinks are not discounted for happy hour

they never mention this when we sat down. what the gently caress.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Taintrunner posted:

How do you not ask when you sit down since every place on earth is different?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

How do you not ask when you sit down since every place on earth is different?

how the gently caress does an establish that serves alcohol have a Happy Hour not discount drinks for Happy Hour. it’s pretty fuckin obvious what that means

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

people are happier paying full price

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

how the gently caress does an establish that serves alcohol have a Happy Hour not discount drinks for Happy Hour. it’s pretty fuckin obvious what that means

True, but theres a place near me that has $1 off cocktails, that are all $10+ so it's like, what's the point? Always ask.

And restraunts, put it on your drat website/yelp

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alright, fine, I apologize for being a new york rear end in a top hat for a hot minute

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I've never seen a place that discounts every drink, is that a thing? Its always like $2 off some things, $1 other things, etc. etc.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

I've never seen a place that discounts every drink, is that a thing? Its always like $2 off some things, $1 other things, etc. etc.
Same. Or specific drinks (usually wells, or simple cocktails) for a discounted rate.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Taintrunner posted:

alright, fine, I apologize for being a new york rear end in a top hat for a hot minute

Nah, that's bullshit even in the city.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Nah, that's bullshit even in the city.

Not discounting anything is weird. Usually happy hour disagreements are over the definition of domestic vs import or some such.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would complain. Depending on how much your dignity is worth you could throw a tantrum to get them to relent.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm looking forward to when smart TVs get cheap/common enough for homebrew nerds to start developing them. Lol just lol if you can't rm -rf * your TV.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

T-man posted:

I'm looking forward to when smart TVs get cheap/common enough for homebrew nerds to start developing them. Lol just lol if you can't rm -rf * the TVs of everyone else in your neighbourhood.

ftfy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Computer monitors are suddenly way less hassle than TVs.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

hobbesmaster posted:

you should visit a little bar and grill called chili’s, where it’s always happy hour and the drinks are buy one get one free

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

http://twitter.com/MoMoButFaster/status/1160020012066676736

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Can we still say what our TV is? My TV is an old bottom of the range one I bought way back in like 2013 that has absolutely no features besides a couple HDMI ports, component/composite in and a SPIDF out port.

It's absolutely perfect in every way and I pray it will never ever break in a way I can't repair.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hooked up to it are some videogames, a chromecast, and a mid-2000's-era DVD player/writer that I found out by the dumpster being thrown away, which just happens to have S-Video inputs and an actually quite good upscaled output, so old consoles look fantastic now :c00lbert:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I recently got a 55" LED insigna from Best Buy because it was the only brand that didn't have a Roku or Tizen thing built in and it's actually pretty nice. Cost under $400, its just 1080p but its also just a big screen for my posting station and watching pirated tv shows and the lovely laptop connected to it could never do 4k anyways

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

I'm looking forward to when smart TVs get cheap/common enough for homebrew nerds to start developing them. Lol just lol if you can't rm -rf * your TV.

I'm sure that's already a thing, I guarantee smart TV's aren't anything more fancy than an off the shelf ARM chip running some linux flavor so it's probably not that hard.

e: Yeah here's one for Samsung

https://www.samygo.tv/

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I would look for one, but androidTV works great and even has VLC, plug in a harddrive or flash drive go. Plex app

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I use an old Sony projector hooked up to a surround system and my computer. poo poo's cash.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I live in the burned-out ruin of an old IMAX. Sports look great on it when I can fend off the scavenger gangs long enough to get a moment of peace.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I don't even own a TV, all I need is a laptop and anime streaming sites. :smug:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my TV is huge because capitalism taught me that the bigger my TV the bigger my self worth

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
i don't even own a TV, i just stop taking my medication and get all my entertainment from the spiders who tell me that the neighbors are globalists trying to poison the water supply and that the only way i can stop them is masturbating in a Taco Bell while screaming the lyrics to Rocky Mountain High :smuggo:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got an LG oled with "smart" features because I'm not some kind of poor weirdo.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i said in the climate change thread that we need a pol pot who will dispose of the petroleum engineers, let's extend that to anyone with a marketing degree or who has worked in advertising

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

spankmeister posted:

I got an LG oled with "smart" features because I'm not some kind of poor weirdo.
Pisses me off that they're not making smaller versions of that glorious panel. At this point I'd pay more for a smaller TV

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shipon posted:

i said in the climate change thread that we need a pol pot who will dispose of the petroleum engineers, let's extend that to anyone with a marketing degree or who has worked in advertising

Let's face it, that's a mercy kill

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Got a 33% off Sony LCD for roughly $375 like seven years ago and I'm honestly amazed it still works. It never got the firmware update that allows you to turn off the annoying BOING! sound it makes when you turn it on, but at least I don't have to sit through ads.

I've seen a single sorta good smart-TV in my entire life with responsive menus, a remote pointer and poo poo, all the rest have been garbage.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

T-man posted:

The future is a combination of Brazil and cyberpunk where you have to hire a domestic terrorist* who moonlights as a repairman just to fix your IoT appliances. All your devices attempt to spy on you but don’t manage to do it because the devices are riddled with spyware, bandwidth is being sucked up by all the ads, and corporate bean counters didn’t want to pay for the good spying hardware.

*Opening up any of your devices will be considered terrorism.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a non smart TV which gets used maybe once per week. This thread has made me realize that Roku is gonna go out of business and brick all of their devices before long, so my options will be to a) get cable, b) get a new tv, c) get one of those illegal streaming ghost box things.

:filez:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shipon posted:

Add FIRE industry people and landlords and I'm right with ya.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Fine, I'll be that guy.

I DON'T EVEN OWN A TV.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

i don't even own a TV, i just stop taking my medication and get all my entertainment from the spiders who tell me that the neighbors are globalists trying to poison the water supply and that the only way i can stop them is masturbating in a Taco Bell while screaming the lyrics to Rocky Mountain High :smuggo:

That's just a normal Saturday night for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Screaming Idiot posted:

lol if you can afford your medication gtfo this thread you one percenter