Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you've heard of animals chewing off their own beef to escape a trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

we have beefswell the likes of which even god has never seen!

put your goddamn beefswelling in the goddamn box of pain!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s not the swell of your beef, it’s the non-rhythm of your walk!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

There is probably no more terrible instance of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man -- with beefswelling

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

bless the beef, and its swelling

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Usul has beefswelled a big one!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

bless the beef, and its swelling

From the collected sayings of Mah'Beef

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

using a thumper to artificially swell my beef

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

magic cactus posted:

using a thumper to artificially swell my beef

don't stop I'm clinging to the girdershape of ecstasy

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
aside from the homeworld series of games, what's other media that takes really big cues from dune?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kanine posted:

aside from the homeworld series of games, what's other media that takes really big cues from dune?

Warhammer 40K.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Star Wars

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Alpha Centauri doesn't crib from Dune.

Instead it cribs directly from Herbert's other series, destination: void

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dune's been incredibly influential on sci-fi one way or another. I think most science-fantasy type settings can owe something to it, though most works tend to borrow ideas and aesthetics piecemeal given the whole thing is very specific and unusual for sci-fi. Helps that Dune was very much a counterpoint to sci-fi of the time, even besides having been mentioned that it's basically taking the Foundation series and inverting a lot of the premises. Using non-European civilisations and cultures for inspiration, mysticism and religion being important to the characters and setting, and the idea of culture and the broader society being important to the story. Has been mentioned that Arrakis itself is a character that goes through growth and change. Also helps with the bit most people miss of taking apart the Great Man idea of history with messiahs inevitably turning into tyrants or martyrs to justify tyranny and genocide.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

quote:

Adult Beefswelling

Hey, uh, mods? Pretty please with reddish brown and/or blue Spice on top?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Long live the beefswellers.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

They say God created the beefswelling to test the faithful. One cannot beefswell against the Word of God.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

when god hath ordained beef to swell in a certain place...

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ask not for whom the beef swells, the beef swells for thee.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The beef can go either direction under stress—toward positive or toward negative: swell or swell. Think of it as a spectrum whose extremes are swelling at the negative end and swelling at the positive end. The way the beef will lean under stress is strongly influenced by training.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fear is the beef killer.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

til there is a "simple" wikiquote, like the simple Wikipedia, and it has a page for dune

quote:

"A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows."

Simple: The beginning of a situation is the time for taking the most care. Every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows this.

"To attempt an understanding of Muad'Dib without understanding his mortal enemies, the Harkonnens, is to attempt seeing Truth without knowing Falsehood. It is the attempt to see the Light without knowing Darkness. It cannot be."

Simple: To understand Muad'Dib without understanding his enemies is impossible.

"Muad'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It's shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad'Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson."

Simple: Muad'Dib learned quickly because he the first thing he was taught was how to learn. The first lesson was that he could learn. Many people think that they can't learn, or that learning is too difficult. Muad'Dib knew that everything was a lesson that you could learn from.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Hey, uh, mods? Pretty please with reddish brown and/or blue Spice on top?

Mod'Beef

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

*Changes character focus on my Reverend Mother from the weirding way to pussy magic*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Colour Out Of Spice

Blue is the Spiciest Color

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Paul: How do you call among you the little beefswell, the beefswell that *makes cartoon boing sound*
Stilgar: We call that one muad'dick
Paul: I am Atreides. It is not right that I give up entirely the name my father gave me. Could I be known among you as Paul-Muad'Dick?
Stilgar: You are Paul-Muad'Dick

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You shall be known as Goochul, which is the strength of the base of the pillar.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

kiimo posted:

You shall be known as Goochul, which is the strength of the base of the pillar.

Mods

Please

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

"simple" dune

Now I'm lamenting the fact that Lynch's Dune wasn't the Star Wars level hit it should have been, if only for the obligatory YA tie-in novel that would be written in this style.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
most of the people I know first read Dune when they were in junior high school. it sort of is a young adult book, albeit a deeply weird one.

for those of you who don't know, they were fully expecting Dune to be a star wars level hit. so much ridiculous merchandise was produced for it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

magic cactus posted:

Now I'm lamenting the fact that Lynch's Dune wasn't the Star Wars level hit it should have been, if only for the obligatory YA tie-in novel that would be written in this style.

Literally this is what the Brian books are

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

skasion posted:

Literally this is what the Brian books are

I think you've taken too much spice. Frank never had a son.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

uber_stoat posted:

most of the people I know first read Dune when they were in junior high school. it sort of is a young adult book, albeit a deeply weird one.

for those of you who don't know, they were fully expecting Dune to be a star wars level hit. so much ridiculous merchandise was produced for it.

I think I said this before but my brother and I were given the action figures for Feyd and Rabban when we were like 8-10. We had no idea what the gently caress they were but I’m glad I was gifted lovely Feyd. And the milking cat lol.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1160599401326424066

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Temaukel posted:

I think this is the first instance of fully-erect-megahorny Frank:

https://soundcloud.com/user-641725526/beefswelling

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Doc Hawkins posted:

we have beefswell the likes of which even god has never seen!

:golfclap: God drat you I laughed entirely too loud in the middle of work.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that some face mash with Michael Sheen? He’d actually make a good Thufir.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just got back from seeing Dune in the theater. It looked really good for the most part, although some of the greenscreen / effects works didn't look great. The sets were wonderful and I experienced some subtleties of performance that weren't obvious at home; even Irulan's opening narration had more depth to it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just got back from seeing Dune in the theater. It looked really good for the most part, although some of the greenscreen / effects works didn't look great. The sets were wonderful and I experienced some subtleties of performance that weren't obvious at home; even Irulan's opening narration had more depth to it.

as fun as it is to poo poo on Lynch’s dune has a lot of cool moments and neat set design. much as I would love to see jodo’s Dune I bet it would have been at least as bad, had it been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

as fun as it is to poo poo on Lynch’s dune has a lot of cool moments and neat set design. much as I would love to see jodo’s Dune I bet it would have been at least as bad, had it been made.

Jodo's Dune would have been Paul high on spice half of the time, and naked fremen the other half.

And dog people