Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
[nevermind]

Syritta fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I mentioned Refund High School before, and now I'm mentioning it again because it recently finished! It's basically Harry Potter with a Buddhist bent, as four teenagers are killed in a car accident and have to enroll in a special afterlife high school for a chance at reincarnation. Overall, the plot isn't anything amazing but it's pretty solid and lighthearted (although it does get more serious later on), and also has some good character development (plus, it hits very few typical isekai tropes!). The thing I love about this series the most though, is the art. It's gorgeous and whimsical, having a fairy tale feel to it, and the character designs are varied; very few characters are even human and there are weird yet cool designs. The ruler of the underworld is also a hottie:

Unrelated, here's a funny take on the Lady of the Lake from the Freeter Isekai.

David D. Davidson posted:

How about an isekai where he's reincarnated into a different isekai. Guy gets hit by a truck, wakes up as someone else, steps outside and then gets hit by a truck again, then gets reincarnated into a fantasy setting.

This one is an double isekai story. Teenager gets reincarnated (in a non-fantasy setting, surprisingly!), but gets shafted and his first isekai goes horribly wrong, which ends up with him getting isekai'd again. The story focuses on the second isekai attempt rather than repeated isekais, though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

David D. Davidson posted:

How about an isekai where he's reincarnated into a different isekai. Guy gets hit by a truck, wakes up as someone else, steps outside and then gets hit by a truck again, then gets reincarnated into a fantasy setting.

The author of Hinamatsuri had a one-shot with this gimmick that has a great punchline

https://mangadex.org/chapter/224984/1

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Even now there is hope for humanity.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope this doesn't end up being a one-and-done effort and we get more than this one chapter because this is great

The Elf and the Hunter's Item Atelier
Slice of life fantasy with an item artisan and her hunter assistant

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
dad thread crosspost

Everything Burrito posted:

Retired Heroes
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=147819

This one hits a lot of the same notes as S-Rank Daughter but with more of an ensemble cast. It's all about these 5 heroes after they've done their hero thing and settled down, centered around the lead guy and his wife and daughter. I liked that it didn't lean heavily on gaming elements, it's got kind of a d&d-ish feel but it's mostly just a standard fantasy setting. As it goes on it does some more worldbuilding and expands the cast, goes into some light intrigue, but at the core it's comedy & slice of life.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's an in-world isekai! :pseudo:

Edited for content: S-rank daughter is wonderful and I like it a lot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Retired Heroes is one of the few Chinese written stories that I like. There no murder hobos or questionably moral protagonists or anything like that. It's just a very well done fantasy series and I always look forward to more chapters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hadn't noticed it until the last update so I read the whole thing in one whack and really enjoyed stuff like when the mom and uncle are revealed as demons and the whole town is just like yeah we already know *shrug*

I was afraid the kids' rivalry thing would be obnoxious but it was pretty endearing :3

I also appreciate that it has some depth and isn't just shallow gags, there's some drama to it like Tifa feeling conflicted about how the townspeople treat her and her mom, the scene where she throws the candy she was bribed with to the pigs was really good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't even realize it was chinese.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nalin posted:

Retired Heroes is one of the few Chinese written stories that I like. There no murder hobos or questionably moral protagonists or anything like that. It's just a very well done fantasy series and I always look forward to more chapters.
Yea same. I think there might be only one or two other chinese comics on my list. They just don't have many good ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Combatants Will Be Dispatched

No. 6 in a shellnut

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know of a good isekai that follows the perspective of someone who plays second fiddle to an overpowered stranger from another world? I'm imagining someone in the hero's party who gets increasingly irritated at the overpowered hero who gets all the powerups, gets all the girls, and breaks all the rules but everything always works out perfectly for them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Sounds like Hans to me. A retired knight watches over a village, only for "Japanese" people with strange abilities to start showing up. It's OK.

e: get good at posting, nub

nrook fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 11, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know of a good isekai that follows the perspective of someone who plays second fiddle to an overpowered stranger from another world? I'm imagining someone in the hero's party who gets increasingly irritated at the overpowered hero who gets all the powerups, gets all the girls, and breaks all the rules but everything always works out perfectly for them.
The Misfortunes of Local Knight Hans might be similar to what you want? The MC, Hans, is a "normal" guy in a fantasy world(albeit the former super powerful mageslayer knight living in a small town in his retirement) and japanese people who are repeatedly getting isekai'd to his world keep showing up in his town with insanely overpowered abilities. One guy can tame any monster in an instant, one is basically genki girl Saitama, etc, and Hans has to work with them.

edit: fffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's not Isekai, but Helck is basically that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's not an Isekai but it sounds kinda similiar to The Gamer.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know of a good isekai that follows the perspective of someone who plays second fiddle to an overpowered stranger from another world?
That's getting real specific but there's stuff that comes close

Cooking for Little Sis - After their parents pass away, Akane was raising her younger sister Hiyori when suddenly their house is summoned to another world.

Understanding is My Only Weapon - A cynical and powerless student wakes up in a dangerous fantasy world.

I Turned Into a Farm Girl - Two guys get trucked. One lucky idiot becomes the hero, but the MC ends up as a random npc.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 11, 2019

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Maxwell Adams posted:

Don't forget Konosuba! The MC isn't a sidekick exactly, but there are plenty of other heroes around who are more powerful. He's only the most competent member of his party because the rest of his party is even more useless than he is.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Thanks for all the recommendations. Helck seems pretty good so far.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Maxwell Adams posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. Helck seems pretty good so far.

Helck is God Tier and deserves an anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
actual footage of Helck's final arc pre-epilogue

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I bet it's much better when you're able to read it in one sitting rather than having to wait for it week after week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess! It was positively interminable during the releases though unfortunately

There's a point where you become the monster that you're trying to mock, and that was it. Everything else about helck was fantastic, absolutely.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
It got pretty tedious at a few points, but the story was so good and engaging that it was worth it. But yeah I can see how waiting weekly would be loving rough.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

New Isekai Transporter is out.

Death Truck is serious this time :black101:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm somewhat confused about what happened in Isekai Transporter. Did the coach/wrestler guy actually stop and/or throw the truck? My first thought was that he may be a legendary hero of Earth sent to interfere with the transporter business. But they killed a bunch of the people anyway, so nothing much changed besides the driver getting bisected.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Some parts are a bit confusing (mostly why she rolls backwards and off the cliff for no apparent reason), but according to the comments there are pages missing from the version on mangadex so maybe that's why.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 12, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've recommended Isekai Tensei Soudouki before but I'm going to recommend it again. It didn't end or anything, it's just really good.

It's a double isekai! As in TWO japanese people reincarnated into a single body, which they share with the original inhabitant.

One of the MC personalities is a modern day Chuuni high schooler, whose knowledge is described as 'vast but shallow'.
The other is an old man, a warring-states era warrior legend with a ridiculous gold fetish.
And the third is the young boy who's the son of a viscount. His mother's a warrior god and has trained him to be pretty strong by beating the everloving poo poo out of him.

Between all 3 personalities they get into all kinds of wacky hijinx and entertainment ensues.

Honestly though the manga stands out because it has a lot of really fun characters. And most of them all agree that the MC is weird but that's what makes him interesting. There IS a harem, which currently has 2 members with something like 3-4 additional possibilities which have been teased in the Manga (But I haven't read the LN so I don't know how big it eventually gets, hopefully not Sevens big), no slavery, and generally positive and fun times had. Also it has good faces. Not as good as 'Actually, I am...' but still good.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 13, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

khy posted:

There IS a harem, which currently has 2 members with something like 3-4 possibilities which have been teased in the Manga
Reminds me of a movie called The Prestige. It has twins are pretending to be the same person, but only one loves their wife, and the other gets into an affair.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

khy posted:

I've recommended Isekai Tensei Soudouki before but I'm going to recommend it again. It didn't end or anything, it's just really good.
I've been meaning to ask if this is a good one to check out since I've been seeing it in the recent updates on mangadex. Glad you answered that, added to the backlog.

The only problem with long-running series like that one(although it's less so at only 12 LNs) is that they take an eternity to get adapted. Duke's Daughter in its entire manga run has only barely scratched the first major plot arc, which is like...I want to say, like 80 chapters into the webnovel? Of 290ish chapters? Moon-Led Journey is an even harsher disparity, with each manga chapter covering about ~1.5 webnovel chapters(which, granted, are very long), so it will be caught up in about 20 years. And then you've got other renditions like the Dragon Baby isekai that adapts like 20 webnovel chapters per manga chapter, but also scans for that might have stopped I think?

edit: I got to the (Moon-Led Journey WN stuff) demon child slave bit in Moon-Led Journey and I like that Makoto is immediately like "what the gently caress are you doing, we are breaking that slave brand right now, who the hell would even want to enslave a child" and Shiki says it'll take years to research a method to do so, so Makoto orders the girl to do whatever she wants to do in Asora until the day they can remove the brand, and then she can continue living there if she wants or return to the Demon Empire after she is freed

I do like that in most cases Moon-Led Journey will introduce a bad isekai trope just to poo poo on it. And that it seems like it's turning into a combination altering between a JRPG adventure and Simcity, every major plot or character addition removes more fog of war from the map of Asora, leading to expanding the civilization there. I also like that it feels like it's no longer always centered on Makoto, there's been a fair amount of sidetracking with Tomoe, Mio, Shiki, etc, definitely more interesting to see things from different character PoV's than solely the MC. Also now there's a race of fishpeople who are literally just fish/crustaceans with human arms and legs sticking out of them, which is a Great Thing. Their leader is a human-sized blue whale man, with human arms and legs sticking out of him, named SerWhale.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 13, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The harem part seemed very weird, IMO

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

khy posted:

It's a double isekai! As in TWO japanese people reincarnated into a single body, which they share with the original inhabitant.

One of the MC personalities is a modern day Chuuni high schooler, whose knowledge is described as 'vast but shallow'.
The other is an old man, a warring-states era warrior legend with a ridiculous gold fetish.
And the third is the young boy who's the son of a viscount. His mother's a warrior god and has trained him to be pretty strong by beating the everloving poo poo out of him.

Between all 3 personalities they get into all kinds of wacky hijinx and entertainment ensues.

Honestly though the manga stands out because it has a lot of really fun characters. And most of them all agree that the MC is weird but that's what makes him interesting. There IS a harem, which currently has 2 members with something like 3-4 additional possibilities which have been teased in the Manga (But I haven't read the LN so I don't know how big it eventually gets, hopefully not Sevens big), no slavery, and generally positive and fun times had. Also it has good faces. Not as good as 'Actually, I am...' but still good.

As isekai fluff goes it's basics are pretty fluffy. Let's give your isekai character a broad knowledge of modern technology, hardened battle instincts, and a high social status that they can use to solve problems.

It's not bad, the MC is charismatic, and the art is very expressive. It likes to talk the talk about the MC's actions having lots of unpredictable ramifications, and teased it with a volume intro talking about a nation that fell into constant civil war after it went through a sudden burst of prosperity. But it yet seems unwilling to call the MC to account for his actions. And it leans too heavily into the idea of noblesse oblige.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What is interesting about it is that the previous lives did not take over. The MC is his own person, which has been influenced by the old samurai and the Otaku, but they are their own thing. He even holds conversations with them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also the recent chapters have been super creepy re: the otaku modern reincarnation personality getting really really excited about the idea of having a little sister, with the other two personalities going oh weird but ok

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

its a shame the translator insists on this trap poo poo because it looks like the author wrote a trans couple and gave them a relatively happy ending

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That was a fun arc for Balud triumphing by doing nothing. "So, you sent me to strengthen relations with this country and help them sort out their brewing succession war... Well good news! My tomboyish friend and the effeminate prince fell in love, and her skills neatly compliment his weaknesses. Uh... I did something with boats, as well?"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Need some help. Can't recall the name of if it even was an isekai, but there was a manga about a guy who got trained to be an adventurer by his retired archmage mom(she might've been a demon though, can't recall). Can't find it though. I do remember that for his graduation trial, she dumped him in a dungeon cave and had to find his way out using only his wits and basic supplies with his prize being her blessing to leave on his own and some OP equipment.

Can't recall the name, but I think I might have seen it here. Also no it's not 2-hit Combo Mom or Overprotective Dragon Mom either.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Need some help. Can't recall the name of if it even was an isekai, but there was a manga about a guy who got trained to be an adventurer by his retired archmage mom(she might've been a demon though, can't recall). Can't find it though. I do remember that for his graduation trial, she dumped him in a dungeon cave and had to find his way out using only his wits and basic supplies with his prize being her blessing to leave on his own and some OP equipment.

Can't recall the name, but I think I might have seen it here. Also no it's not 2-hit Combo Mom or Overprotective Dragon Mom either.

Sounds like Maken no Daydreamer to me

Succubus mom who's a retired adventurer, there IS a trial to have him rescue her from bandits but it isn't in a cave, she gives him OP stuff when he's old enough, the teleporter away from home leads to a dungeon (Wasn't a trial, just happened to be where the teleporter sent him), and then he adventures around being crazy OP and hardly anything causes him to break a sweat.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

Sounds like Maken no Daydreamer to me

Succubus mom who's a retired adventurer, there IS a trial to have him rescue her from bandits but it isn't in a cave, she gives him OP stuff when he's old enough, the teleporter away from home leads to a dungeon (Wasn't a trial, just happened to be where the teleporter sent him), and then he adventures around being crazy OP and hardly anything causes him to break a sweat.

Yeah that seems to be the one. It's also reminding me why I probably dropped it though it's still entertaining junk isekai. Oh well.

Dragon Mom one is pretty decent and funny, though it's not isekai.

https://mangadex.org/title/37253/mo...with-his-mother