Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I mostly play Beatsaber and Eleven Table Tennis now. When I show it off to other people they do The Climb, Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Wilson's Heart or Google Earth. It's pretty much all the same stuff that was out when I bought the thing two years ago. I understand that VR games don't make any money but it's such a shame that all the development stopped. When I got into VR I assumed those games were the tip of the iceberg and it would get better as time went on, but there isn't anything coming out now with the scale, budget or polish of those older games. Even the little First Contact demo is mind blowing compared to anything I've seen lately. Maybe the Star Wars tie-in but, eh.

Hopefully Valve will actually follow through with their promise of 3 VR games, HL3:VR is the only thing I could really see revitalizing PC VR but I kind of suspect that anyone who wants to make games for a living and is good at it would have left Valve by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's very very little funding coming into VR right now so the only companies left are ones that were successful a year or two ago and are riding that or ones that sat on their funding and dug in.

VR as a platform seems to have settled back into a regular, normal growth plan but that initial "next big thing" push really sucked the air out of the room. The Quest is the first launch in forever to really make waves and get attention again. If they can keep slowly continue to build that momentum, some of the funding may come back, but it's all at the whim of Facebook and Valve and how much longer they want to keep subsidizing the VR industry.

Until then anything new will either come from the few last companies standing, the first parties, or the weird janky little guy hobbyists.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

BabelFish posted:

I've not had a chance to try it yet, but GNOG is free on EGS (also on steam for money if you hate EGS) and has VR support.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/gnog/home

Tried to play the first non-tutorial level in VR and eventually the puzzle box just stopped responding to my inputs (including the touchpad swipe to rotate) so I couldn't progress.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is Tetris Effect worth it at full price on PC? I loved Rez Infinite but is there enough there to justify its pretty big tag?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

Is Tetris Effect worth it at full price on PC? I loved Rez Infinite but is there enough there to justify its pretty big tag?

I really enjoy it.

Like. I hate that I had to buy it on epic, But fuckin, its so good.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I mostly play Beatsaber and Eleven Table Tennis now. When I show it off to other people they do The Climb, Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Wilson's Heart or Google Earth. It's pretty much all the same stuff that was out when I bought the thing two years ago. I understand that VR games don't make any money but it's such a shame that all the development stopped. When I got into VR I assumed those games were the tip of the iceberg and it would get better as time went on, but there isn't anything coming out now with the scale, budget or polish of those older games. Even the little First Contact demo is mind blowing compared to anything I've seen lately. Maybe the Star Wars tie-in but, eh.

Hopefully Valve will actually follow through with their promise of 3 VR games, HL3:VR is the only thing I could really see revitalizing PC VR but I kind of suspect that anyone who wants to make games for a living and is good at it would have left Valve by now.
If No Man's Sky's VR integration turns out to be really well done I can see that being huge for spurring on VR development. A massive immersive experience is I think what's missing, especially with how badly Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR missed the mark.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Songbearer posted:

A good Tetris is worth any price point, and it's a very good Tetris

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

30 bucks seems absurd for Tetris, but as a nerd who has never done drugs harder than the crime herb, this seems to me like what it would be like to be on a really nice chill mild hallucinogen trip.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do drugs OBC.

Is there any realistic chance of getting Beat Sabre on sale or should I just nut up and pay full price?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ItBreathes posted:

Do drugs OBC.

Is there any realistic chance of getting Beat Sabre on sale or should I just nut up and pay full price?

Just nut up. The time you waste waiting, you MIGHT save 10 bucks.

And lets be honest. The hours you'll get out of it? heh. Just buy it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The beta oculus update makes Thrill of the Fight playable again, thank goodness.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FZeroRacer posted:

If No Man's Sky's VR integration turns out to be really well done I can see that being huge for spurring on VR development. A massive immersive experience is I think what's missing, especially with how badly Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR missed the mark.

No Man's Sky was pretty poorly received in the non-VR world. What's driving your optimism?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No Man's Sky is really good now, after years of updates

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LLSix posted:

No Man's Sky was pretty poorly received in the non-VR world. What's driving your optimism?

It had a bad launch but they fixed all of that and it’s pretty good now.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ItBreathes posted:

Do drugs OBC.

Beat saber has never gone on sale because it doesn’t need to go on sale.
I can see a small possibility of it going on sale for their 2nd anniversary, May 1, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hadlock posted:

Oh man, the original Deus Ex from 2000, in VR would be amazing. It actually uses a common engine, looking forward to that VR conversion someday. Given the story and pacing that would make an ideal VR game. Looks like someone went ahead and did a hi res texture mod for it already.

I think a made for VR remake of Deus Ex would be my ultimate game. Especially if they expanded it a bit and stole all the best VR features from other games, like adding the climbing mechanics from the Climb but with the ability to level up your grip and get climbing augmentations.

I want this so bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LLSix posted:

I decided to hold off until after launch to see what was up and it was laughably bad. But it seems like they buckled down and turned it into a good game. I recently bought it on sale for 22 bucks and I've already put 11 hours into it. It's pretty fun if a bit grindy. For the most part, it seems like it often pops up with something new that makes something easier that was annoying me. It has a slight learning curve where you can seeming gently caress yourself over and soft lock the game because it hasn't gotten to the part of the tutorial where it would say you can craft something to get out of the current situation and you don't know how to craft yet. But other than that, it's pretty fun. I just keep the wiki open when I get confused about something. I'm looking forward to how VR works out.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Stick100 posted:

No problem, now no one is making any VR games.

Unfortunately currently VR games don't make economic sense to make. The reason we had a huge spike of VR games was the Steam direct came out the same time as the Vive, so everyone saw a blue ocean and took a shot. Now that everyone has their first game out of the way almost everyone won't follow up with a second.

There are a few that are continuing to support their first game (Thrill of the fight, H3VR), there are a few that moved on from a semi successful game (Sword Master VR to Jet Island) but most everyone else who isn't getting funded directly has now pulled out.

That said I'm working on my second VR game personally.

I love this whole quote!

(This post was also salutary, cheers).

Can you say anything about the game you're working on? (And is it riding the Quest wave that Mutata mentions? Or for the more established formats?)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 10, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Bit OT coz this is games, but hey, the discussion is about how there's no games right :psyduck:

The recent Quill 2.0 announcement convinced me to give the current build a proper go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaI57-BnORA

So far I've just made some horrible proofs of concept, and this:

That was made with imaginary sticky tape, and then waved around by hand...

It's pretty cool for a freebie. Fairly intuitive for anyone with amateur photoshop fuckery under their belt. And the best bit is the 'animated hand strokes' you can do. That whole vid is great.

Lack of light sourcing is a bit pants though.

---

On Topic - Games I've Been Playing: Transpose, Drone Hero (cheers for the reco thread), Lunar Flight: AE (with hands now), Pavlov (TTT, coz), FO4VR

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Meanwhile, on the topic of adding VR to existing games, DOOM 3 BFG edition is ridiculous in VR, and works great.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pixelate posted:

Lack of light sourcing is a bit pants though.

Export to Maya and render elsewhere?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LLSix posted:

NMS is the rare, and I mean RARE case where a dev took a critically hyped, then critically panned, buggy overpromised mess of a game, doubled down on it and just worked their asses off to fix it. NMS has had multiple huge free updates that any other dev would have just shipped as new games. By all accounts we should be on No Mans Sky 3 by now, but they keep adding to the base game for free.

The game is a shell of its former self and way better off for it.

And the VR mode so far seems to be exceptional. Reviews of the VR mode are rolling in from regular outlets and VR-specific outlets and they are all glowing. Bare in mind the industry as a whole knows not to overhype No Mans Sky at this point, and they’re hyping the hell out of the VR mode.

The only real question at this point is how the PSVR version will fare, given Sony’s hardline stance on performance it will probably be OK, but PSVR is still a bit up in the air.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 10, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Export to Maya and render elsewhere?

Yep you can export as USD/FBX/Alembic apparently. (I'm just a noob happy playing with his finger crayons for now though...)

---

Um, ok, games. This looks pretty terrible. I'm definitely going to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXOX1vt_9Lw

Fingers crossed for NMS too. The whole passion fizz at the start of this vid feels like the good type of hype...

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Pixelate posted:

Yep you can export as USD/FBX/Alembic apparently. (I'm just a noob happy playing with his finger crayons for now though...)

---

Fingers crossed for NMS too. The whole passion fizz at the start of this vid feels like the good type of hype...

Updated the firmware on my base stations v1. Regretting it immensely as I can't get them to re sync. And I'm missing something regarding syncing these knuckle controllers.

Edit: Nevermind about the syncing the controllers. I can't read instructions. These base stations having to see each other does make me wish I had a v2.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 10, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Elmon posted:

Updated the firmware on my base stations v1. Regretting it immensely as I can't get them to re sync. And I'm missing something regarding syncing these knuckle controllers.

Edit: Nevermind about the syncing the controllers. I can't read instructions. These base stations having to see each other does make me wish I had a v2.

Hook up the sync cable.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pixelate posted:

All the videos I've seen of this look pretty fun, it's like GTA done on a small scale as a detailed simulation. I'm going to be getting the beta before the end of the month and I'm very excited to run away from the police in VR.

I really need more sandboxy VR games, I want to interact with dynamic systems in open environments with real choices.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa how can we get in on the beta?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whoa how can we get in on the beta?

I applied a couple weeks ago after seeing a post from the developer on the Oculus Reddit, I just had to send an email to beta@gameboomvr.com but I don't know if they're still accepting people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pixelate posted:

Does this game have no lighting or something? It looks like trees are the only thing that cast shadows. It's weird.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tip posted:

All the videos I've seen of this look pretty fun, it's like GTA done on a small scale as a detailed simulation. I'm going to be getting the beta before the end of the month and I'm very excited to run away from the police in VR.

I really need more sandboxy VR games, I want to interact with dynamic systems in open environments with real choices.

Yeah liking the hand interaction. I'd definitely be up for a shonky mini GTA. Seems like the map sizes might be small though, going by maps from the flat-screen version. Not sure if they link up with highway driving or it's just a cut scene or whatever.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I guess Dirt Rally 2 got it's VR update and there's some hosed up thing where the Steam version only works with Vive and you have to buy the full price version off Oculus Store to get decent implementation?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taintrunner posted:

So I guess Dirt Rally 2 got it's VR update and there's some hosed up thing where the Steam version only works with Vive and you have to buy the full price version off Oculus Store to get decent implementation?

For all we know it's because Oculus paid them for the Rift implementation and won't let them enable it on the steam version.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Pixelate posted:

Yeah liking the hand interaction. I'd definitely be up for a shonky mini GTA. Seems like the map sizes might be small though, going by maps from the flat-screen version. Not sure if they link up with highway driving or it's just a cut scene or whatever.

In the flat version, as you hit the neighborhood boundaries, it loading screens to being parked and (out of your car)[destination dependent] at the destination you select from a menu

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like Valve figured out how to fix/ameliorate the scanline issue via a software patch. Coming to SteamVR Beta soon apparently.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Was SteamVR support dropped for Tetris Effect or something? The option to launch it through Steam doesn't appear for me anymore.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Well I had my quest sitting on the kitchen counter gathering dust for the past week or more... and finally loaded up and tried one of the laser gun quests in Rec Room (shooting mean robots with 3 other players). Man that was crazy fun. That's the funnest thing I've done on this thing.

3 preteens telling me how to play and pick up my weapons... it's like I'm in a Spielberg movie, but I'm not 12 years old anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLV3G_dVXU

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2019

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
oops... meant to edit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

moolchaba posted:

Well I had my quest sitting on the kitchen counter gathering dust for the past week or more... and finally loaded up and tried one of the laser gun quests in Rec Room (shooting mean robots with 3 other players). Man that was crazy fun. That's the funnest thing I've done on this thing.

3 preteens telling me how to play and pick up my weapons... it's like I'm in a Spielberg movie, but I'm not 12 years old anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLV3G_dVXU

Rec room is really good. I mostly play paintball and rec royale, but the curated rooms are really fun when you get a good group. They’re all designed to make you do better when you help each other, so you stand a much better chance of getting helpful teammates

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Unit24 posted:

Was SteamVR support dropped for Tetris Effect or something? The option to launch it through Steam doesn't appear for me anymore.

Hmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

In the flat version, as you hit the neighborhood boundaries, it loading screens to being parked and (out of your car)[destination dependent] at the destination you select from a menu

Ah ok cheers, was afraid of that. Doesn't look like driving / evading is much more than a quick escape phase then?