Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

current event: after 18 years I have started using the forums ignore list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
institutionalization is a hell of a thing

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

institutionalization is a hell of a thing

I think maybe a similar comparison is child soldiers recruited by terrorist organizations in Africa and Asia? Like the overwhelming majority are obviously victims deserving of compassion and help, but it's really hard to excuse those who rise to the ranks of leadership in those organizations and then orchestrate crimes against humanity.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The cycle of abuse is a real thing

I'm not saying excuse their behaviour, at some point the more important thing is stopping them from hurting anyone else

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/norway-mosque-shooting?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc

Someone tried to shoot up a mosque in Norway. Only one injured, no deaths.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Stepping over the line from victim to oppressor doesn't make you not a victim anymore, but it doesn't remove culpability for your actions. With stuff like this you can't throw an equal blanket of shame on them all though, you really have to take it on a case by case basis. People who have been abused their whole lives that then do awful things themselves is a really tough thing to judge.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

But Clinton is gonna survive this...

Bush survived 9/11. Conspiracy theories or not, he was re-elected and pushed the GOP agenda onward.

I hope he gets late stage testicular cancer, loses his balls, and lives to 100 afterward.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BigDave posted:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/norway-mosque-shooting?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc

Someone tried to shoot up a mosque in Norway. Only one injured, no deaths.

why norway again?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lots of white people and a handful of import muslims?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Bush survived 9/11.

Bush peaked right after 9/11. He had the whole drat country wrapped around his finger after his Ground Zero speech. It wasn't until the push to Iraq that a lot of people started saying "Wait what now?" and another 2 years before a bunch more started taking notice.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, but no one dragged him to the Hague and he's free to roam about the countryside with secret service in tow.

He won, he survived. History might not be kind to him, but we'll fund his retirement and they'll just be remembered as Texas Kennedys.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We’re all pretty familiar with PTSD at this point, I’d like to think. Sexual Abuse victims get completely hosed up in the head. PTSD is just a part of what can go wrong for a victim mentally.

I say that to say: The ones that were abused and turned around and continued the cycle? They’re not playing with a full deck of cards anymore, I don’t care how ok they may seem- They’re in a hosed up psychosexual abusive relationship... with their rapist. There is definitely a diminished capacity argument to be made about these girls and their culpability. I don’t think we gain anything by locking them in prison. Instead, court ordering psychiatric and psychological treatment and therapy and maybe probation (to keep them on a chain and able to be intervened with easily should the need arise) seems the most reasonable/humane thing to do.

But then.. what about the victims of these victims? They’re all ultimately Epstein and Co.’s victims, but don’t they deserve justice for everything that they went through? Epstein’s dead, so that ship has sailed. So that leaves his other victims turned recruiters. How in the wide world of gently caress do you achieve justice that is fair and just in this situation?

I don’t trust any prosecutors, judges, court, or jury, to get this poo poo right in the least. I can’t think of a worse outcome than “Throw them at the wall of justice and see what sticks.” So I have a very hard time thinking Epstein’s victims turned confederates should be prosecuted. At the exact same time I’m quite certain their victims deserve justice, and that some of that comes from punishing these girls for what they did.

What I’m saying is: The whole thing is hosed up from the floor up. I don’t know/think justice can be achieved in this case, and it’s loving awful. Just loving awful.

Goddamn pedophiles. Goddamn them.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

We’re all pretty familiar with PTSD at this point, I’d like to think. Sexual Abuse victims get completely hosed up in the head. PTSD is just a part of what can go wrong for a victim mentally.

I say that to say: The ones that were abused and turned around and continued the cycle? They’re not playing with a full deck of cards anymore, I don’t care how ok they may seem- They’re in a hosed up psychosexual abusive relationship... with their rapist. There is definitely a diminished capacity argument to be made about these girls and their culpability. I don’t think we gain anything by locking them in prison. Instead, court ordering psychiatric and psychological treatment and therapy and maybe probation (to keep them on a chain and able to be intervened with easily should the need arise) seems the most reasonable/humane thing to do.

But then.. what about the victims of these victims? They’re all ultimately Epstein and Co.’s victims, but don’t they deserve justice for everything that they went through? Epstein’s dead, so that ship has sailed. So that leaves his other victims turned recruiters. How in the wide world of gently caress do you achieve justice that is fair and just in this situation?

I don’t trust any prosecutors, judges, court, or jury, to get this poo poo right in the least. I can’t think of a worse outcome than “Throw them at the wall of justice and see what sticks.” So I have a very hard time thinking Epstein’s victims turned confederates should be prosecuted. At the exact same time I’m quite certain their victims deserve justice, and that some of that comes from punishing these girls for what they did.

What I’m saying is: The whole thing is hosed up from the floor up. I don’t know/think justice can be achieved in this case, and it’s loving awful. Just loving awful.

Goddamn pedophiles. Goddamn them.

I still get flashbacks, life's a bitch. And that happened to me as an adult.

e: Domestic abuse is a hell of a thing and if you're going through it, get some help. Sorry about that.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 11, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Bush survived 9/11. Conspiracy theories or not, he was re-elected and pushed the GOP agenda onward.

I hope he gets late stage testicular cancer, loses his balls, and lives to 100 afterward.

Oh I thought that was bush was supposed to symbolize the jet crashing into them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

psydude posted:

the overwhelming majority are obviously victims deserving of compassion and help, but it's really hard to excuse those who rise to the ranks of leadership in those organizations and then orchestrate crimes against humanity.

as i understand it restorative justice was invented for situations like this. put the victims at the center and work towards what can be done, including by perpetrators, to help them.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

as i understand it restorative justice was invented for situations like this. put the victims at the center and work towards what can be done, including by perpetrators, to help them.

It works really loving well too, e.g. the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa. The place is a poo poo-show right now for.. weird reasons, but it could have been so much loving worse.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/TrueHoop/status/1156167294440968194?s=20

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 11, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The victims turned abusers is a tough question

The abusers who own massive stock portfolios are hardly a question at all, they need to be put away at a minimum.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ghislaine also introduced Epstein to Trump! and the Clintons

Trump bought a boat from Ghislaine's father that he named after her, and before you say it sounds weird that a rich old pervert would name a pleasure yacht after his daughter, yeah, many people have though there was something going on there

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm having a loving anxiety attack over this poo poo.

I live in Vegas. I am going to an event tonight. gently caress these loving people.

I live there too. A week or so ago, I was out having lunch with my roommates. Some dude was sitting at the front of the place, going on and on about how all these shootings and murders were ~false flags~ to take ~are guns~, and all sorts of other completely batshit stuff like how the NSA only hires foreigners and something about selling spare body parts (!?)

I was vividly imagining whalloping that guy over the head with a plate. You'd think that someone here, where you can't move two feet without seeing a #VegasStrong bumper sticker, would have even the slightest clue, but nope. :brainworms:

Reading about the other guy who got arrested today... loving christ.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/eliehonig/status/1160257973819756546

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Heads up,

Trump is promoting the Clinton conspiracy theories.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Erghh posted:

Heads up,

Nobody expected that to happen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Erghh posted:

Heads up,

Holy gently caress if this leads to Trump actually appointing a special prosecutor as he said he would do in the debates

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Erghh posted:

Heads up,

broken clock, etc

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hexyflexy posted:

Nobody expected that to happen.

I know. :negative:

It's Hot and Everything Sucks.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Didn't someone say that he wasn't actually on suicide watch anymore? Pretty sure I saw someone trustworthy saying that, I don't know what to believe anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

Didn't someone say that he wasn't actually on suicide watch anymore? Pretty sure I saw someone trustworthy saying that, I don't know what to believe anymore

He was not on suicide watch anymore, it was officially withdrawn by the psychologists. So that angle is moot.

There's no evidence at this time that they were coerced to do so.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1160330756083912704

Edit

Wrong tweet, fixed now

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A Bad Poster posted:

Correct, he was pulled off suicide watch at the end of July. (efb)

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Jeffrey-Epstein-Dies-by-Suicide-at-Manhattan-Jail-Sources-532400871.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prison-experts-are-stunned-angry-jeffrey-epstein-was-taken-suicide-n1041121

quote:

But Epstein’s status was changed sometime in the last two weeks for reasons that remain unknown, officials told NBC News. The decision would normally have to have been authorized by the jail’s suicide prevention program coordinator, who is ordinarily the institution’s chief psychologist, and approved by the warden.

“Once an inmate has been placed on watch, the watch may not be terminated, under any circumstance, without the program coordinator or designee performing a face-to-face evaluation,” according to the federal Bureau of Prison official guidelines issued in 2007.

Basically, everyone important is in the fact-finding phase, which is leading to rampant shitposting everywhere, including by the President, because that's what we are now as a society. RE: RE: RE: FWD: FWD: RE: except an entire country.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
What would be the most 2019 thing that could happen? That Epstein actually committed suicide.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

joat mon posted:

What would be the most 2019 thing that could happen? That Epstein actually committed suicide.

That they misidentified another inmate who committed suicide as Epstein due to a clerical error.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa posted:

I live there too. A week or so ago, I was out having lunch with my roommates. Some dude was sitting at the front of the place, going on and on about how all these shootings and murders were ~false flags~ to take ~are guns~, and all sorts of other completely batshit stuff like how the NSA only hires foreigners and something about selling spare body parts (!?)

I was vividly imagining whalloping that guy over the head with a plate. You'd think that someone here, where you can't move two feet without seeing a #VegasStrong bumper sticker, would have even the slightest clue, but nope. :brainworms:

Reading about the other guy who got arrested today... loving christ.

You'd love to say something to these imbeciles but in the back of your mind you remember: there's an excellent chance this dumbass comes back with a gun tomorrow

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's hanging out under hammocks with MacAfee laughing at how crazy we all are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

He's hanging out under hammocks with MacAfee laughing at how crazy we all are.

nothin like bombin bath salts with the bros

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Here's your reminder that dumbfucks and their nutty Clinton conspiracies can hurt people. Back in the 90s there was violent serial rapist named Wayne Dumond sitting in prison in Arkansas. Some idiot started a rumor that Bill had personally locked him up on a false rape charge because one of Dumond's victims was a distant cousin of Bill. Enter Mike Huckabee who took over as governor. Fat stupid piece of poo poo was a true believer in this theory and bullied the parole board into releasing him. What do you suppose happened next? Well, he raped and murdered two women, and Fat Mikey got a show on Fox News.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That whole klan is as rotten as they come and wholly representative of the typical american christian

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Bad Poster posted:

That they misidentified another inmate who committed suicide as Epstein due to a clerical error.

This reminds me of an early 1920s newspaper contest to come up with the wildest potential headline. The winner was: "Archduke Franz Ferdinand Found Alive".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

joat mon posted:

That due to a miscommunication, Epstein was put into witness protection as a victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This reminds me of an early 1920s newspaper contest to come up with the wildest potential headline. The winner was: "Archduke Franz Ferdinand Found Alive".

That's a pretty great headline. Better than most stuff on twitter