Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Blackbeard targeted them because Burgess wantes revenge on Sabo and managed to hide on their ship and find their base, thats it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though could be wrongfooting us given Ivankov has been with the Revolutionaries and in Impel Down and probably knows a fuckload of secrets besides.

The Revolutionary Army is still a bit of an unknown quantity it seems like; their goals and tactics seem pretty clear in seeking to discredit the World Government and encourage and assist people to overthrow tyrannical and corrupt governments, and the WG is certainly mass-producing malcontents at an unprecedented rate. But it's still not entirely clear where they came from, what motivates Dragon in particular (being the son of Garp the Hero and all) and what assets and resources they have that keeps them going even after Blackbeard sacked their original base. (and for that matter, why Blackbeard targeted them in particular) Robin spent the timeskip training with them but that doesn't help much given she's already the most enigmatic Straw Hat.

Agree with most of these, but to start I think Blackbeard went after them simply because they were there and he knew their bases location and figured he could acquire powerful weapons and the such. Their discrediting the WG I think is more trying to discredit those at the very top such as the Celestial Dragons and Five Elder Stars since they discuss this in the short Reverie arc where Betty asks Koala about how she feels about things since Fishman Island is taking part in Reverie. Ditto for some mention about Alabasta as well in that regard.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doomrider7 posted:

Agree with most of these, but to start I think Blackbeard went after them simply because they were there and he knew their bases location and figured he could acquire powerful weapons and the such.

Yeah, Blackbeard's MO has always been to keep a low profile most of the time, carefully observing the overall situation for opportunities, then when he sees one that could be massively lucrative that others seem to be overlooking or unaware of, he bets All In on Black (under the assumption that since he is fated to become Pirate King, such a move wouldn't really be a gamble at all, and if he does lose, guess that was also fate).

quote:

Their discrediting the WG I think is more trying to discredit those at the very top such as the Celestial Dragons and Five Elder Stars since they discuss this in the short Reverie arc where Betty asks Koala about how she feels about things since Fishman Island is taking part in Reverie. Ditto for some mention about Alabasta as well in that regard.

I mean, if the WG actually worked as advertised (a federation of equals, all democratically choosing what's best for themselves and the world at large), the Revolutionaries would probably have no reason to exist. Realizing the fact that's not the case at all is probably the reason why Dragon started the Revolutionaries relatively recently in the first place.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, considering Garp wanted Luffy and Ace to be marines, it's entirely possible he was much more hands on in raising Dragon, which accidentally pushed Dragon away from the marines by giving him a close look at the things Garp himself wishes he could change but lacks the power structure to enact.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, considering Garp wanted Luffy and Ace to be marines, it's entirely possible he was much more hands on in raising Dragon, which accidentally pushed Dragon away from the marines by giving him a close look at the things Garp himself wishes he could change but lacks the power structure to enact.

I'm thinking Dragon's change might have to do with Luffy's mom in some way.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

whoa, if it turns out Garp wanted Luffy in the Marines to eventually work with Dragon to take it all down that would be dope.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Garp just wanted them to be marines because he did not want to witness their executions at the hands of the WG and become powerless to help them. Just plain old simple selfish Garp.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

doomrider7 posted:

I'm thinking Dragon's change might have to do with Luffy's mom in some way.

My personal theory is that Luffy's mom was a Celestial Dragon that got executed for going against the other Dragons.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So my girlfriend has been going through One Piece for the first time over the past couple of months, and it's been fun revisiting the series and essentially binging it with her and revisiting a lot of little details I had forgotten about in the almost 20 years I've been following this.

We're a little over half-way through Impel Down, and I thought the thread might enjoy her thoughts since outside of Dragon Ball, the Miyazaki movies, the OG pokemon cartoon, and Cowboy Bebop, she's pretty lukewarm on anime as a whole. Some highlights

-She's really into the show so far. She likes that's it's 'silly a lot and doesn't take itself too seriously.' And she feels like that makes the characters more fun and relatable and feels like it earns it's dramatic moments.

-Chopper is her favorite Straw Hat, then after that Zoro and Nami. She wasn't too into Robin at first, but came around to her around Ennis Lobby.

-She was baffled when I told her that at the time, there was a big contention of whether Franky or Paulie was going to join the straw hats. She said it was obvious Paulie didn't fit the straw hat mold.

-Her favorite moment so far has been Duval's initial reveal

-At some point she discovered the 4Kids dub and has been low-key fascinated/obsessed with it ever since

-She despises Law. Every time he'd come on screen she'd complain and ask when 'the guy in the Pick Up Artist Hat' was going to go away. I didn't have the heart to tell her she'd need to get used to him, but I have a feeling she'll come around to him on Dressrosa like most of us did.

-She insists on not skipping any filler. Since I haven't seen a lot of it, I have to say most of it isn't terrible, and I'd honestly prefer these little filler arcs versus the stretched out episodes we're about to get too.

Those are the main takeaways. I'm honestly a bit suprised she took to it like she did, other anime shows I've showed her her responses were rather tepid, but I'll come home to find her watching the show of her own merit, so I guess there's just something about OP that clicks with people, or at least her.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 11, 2019

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder why Law would provoke sich a reaction from her after he barely did anything in Sabaody.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So my girlfriend has been going through One Piece for the first time over the past couple of months, and it's been fun revisiting the series and essentially binging it with her and revisiting a lot of little details I had forgotten about in the almost 20 years I've been following this.

We're a little over half-way through Impel Down, and I thought the thread might enjoy her thoughts since outside of Dragon Ball, the Miyazaki movies, the OG pokemon cartoon, and Cowboy Bebop, she's pretty lukewarm on anime as a whole. Some highlights

-She's really into the show so far. She likes that's it's 'silly a lot and doesn't take itself too seriously.' And she feels like that makes the characters more fun and relatable and feels like it earns it's dramatic moments.

-Chopper is her favorite Straw Hat, then after that Zoro and Nami. She wasn't too into Robin at first, but came around to her around Ennis Lobby.

-She was baffled when I told her that at the time, there was a big contention of whether Franky or Paulie was going to join the straw hats. She said it was obvious Paulie didn't fit the straw hat mold.

-Her favorite moment so far has been Duval's initial reveal

-At some point she discovered the 4Kids dub and has been low-key fascinated/obsessed with it ever since

-She despises Law. Every time he'd come on screen she'd complain and ask when 'the guy in the Pick Up Artist Hat' was going to go away. I didn't have the heart to tell her she'd need to get used to him, but I have a feeling she'll come around to him on Dressrosa like most of us did.

-She insists on not skipping any filler. Since I haven't seen a lot of it, I have to say most of it isn't terrible, and I'd honestly prefer these little filler arcs versus the stretched out episodes we're about to get too.

Those are the main takeaways. I'm honestly a bit suprised she took to it like she did, other anime shows I've showed her her responses were rather tepid, but I'll come home to find her watching the show of her own merit, so I guess there's just something about OP that clicks with people, or at least her.

I've always been of the opinion that One Piece is the closest thing to a perfectly balanced shonen as we're ever going to get. It just has an amazing balance of action, adventure, comedy, and drama all sprinkled in equal portions across all arcs.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder why Law would provoke sich a reaction from her after he barely did anything in Sabaody.

She just doesn't like his design, because it's too much of the 'too cool for school' type and doesn't think he really fits in the world of OP. Like I said, I have a feeling she'll come around once he's forced to interact with the Straw Hats and becomes a straight man to their antics in later arcs

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

She just doesn't like his design, because it's too much of the 'too cool for school' type and doesn't think he really fits in the world of OP. Like I said, I have a feeling she'll come around once he's forced to interact with the Straw Hats and becomes a straight man to their antics in later arcs

Yeah, Law only really clicked for me when the Strawhats started dragging him down to their level.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

ThingOne posted:

Yeah, Law only really clicked for me when the Strawhats started dragging him down to their level.

Lowkey this might be one of my favorite funny One-Piece moments for exactly that reason. Just the sheer horror of Mr. Cool Guy realizing he's getting caught up in their rhythm and getting dragged down to their level.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Spoilers are out for the Stampede movie.

Not going to say anything here, but I still want to go watch the poo poo out of it when it comes out in theaters where I'm at. :holy:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Not going to say anything here, but I still want to go watch the poo poo out of it when it comes out in theaters where I'm at. :holy:

sorry to spoil it for everyone but the straw hats save the day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the Supernovas were late additions to the story I do wonder how much was planned out with them. Especially since there's the specific team-up with Law, Kidd and Luffy.

Has been mentioned, but Law and Kidd both fit different archetypes for shonen rivals; Law being the Sasuke type, a serious, cool-headed foil for a goofy, hot-blooded protagonist, while Kidd is more the Vegeta type, a hotheaded, morally dubious/kind of outright villainous foil for a good-natured easygoing protagonist. Rather fitting given Luffy doesn't exactly fit either mold.

Actually, a lot of superhero tropes apply to One Piece more by necessity of how Devil Fruit powers work but also in general, given a big point to a lot of the Straw Hats is that their superpowers and fighting styles are unique to them, and while they do learn and apply techniques from others they do so in their own unique way. No one else fights with Zoro's three-sword style (well, besides a lot of hopeful students) and no one else uses weather-control technology on a personal level in the same way Nami does, etc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Apparently the main antagonist(Bullet) is said to be stronger than Rayleigh was in his prime. But there's a lot of weird stuff, like it says that at 19 years old he was as strong as Rayleigh(and he reached his prime at 42, in the movie he's 45), and that he fought Crocodile but it ended in a stalemate. So young Crocodile was strong enough to tangle with the Roger pirates? What?

Something something power levels make no sense

Also like the previous movies while it's technically canon there's nowhere it could fit in the timeline(Nami has Zeus for example).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 11, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the Supernovas were late additions to the story I do wonder how much was planned out with them. Especially since there's the specific team-up with Law, Kidd and Luffy.

Has been mentioned, but Law and Kidd both fit different archetypes for shonen rivals; Law being the Sasuke type, a serious, cool-headed foil for a goofy, hot-blooded protagonist, while Kidd is more the Vegeta type, a hotheaded, morally dubious/kind of outright villainous foil for a good-natured easygoing protagonist. Rather fitting given Luffy doesn't exactly fit either mold.

Actually, a lot of superhero tropes apply to One Piece more by necessity of how Devil Fruit powers work but also in general, given a big point to a lot of the Straw Hats is that their superpowers and fighting styles are unique to them, and while they do learn and apply techniques from others they do so in their own unique way. No one else fights with Zoro's three-sword style (well, besides a lot of hopeful students) and no one else uses weather-control technology on a personal level in the same way Nami does, etc.

Every single character thus far has had a fighting style unique to them. Even swordsmen where there are real life schools of fencing and that idea is taken to the extreme in anime, every single swordsman thus far has had a unique style.

The only unified style in OP is fishman karate.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The 6 power abilities from cp9 are another recurring style.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The revolutionary army seems to have a dragon fighting style too, though maybe only Dragon and Sabo use it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Even within Fishman Karate and the 6 powers each person tends to use their own unique applications of it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Every single member of CP9 also has unique variations on the Six Powers, too. They all know the basics, but they all have their specializations and fight differently regardless.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
And Sanji has his own version of a couple of the 6 powers with the air walk (and probably blue walk?) and him moving faster than the eye when he kicked Oven.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There is also the Okama Karate.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There is also the Okama Karate.

Okama Kenpo and Newkama Kenpo. There's also the styles of the long arm and long leg guy from the Dressrossa arc the Hapou Navy Kung-fu.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the vibration poo poo sai used was different from the long leg/arm fighting styles. we havent seen a specific long limbed fighting style yet

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

drjuggalo posted:

the vibration poo poo sai used was different from the long leg/arm fighting styles. we havent seen a specific long limbed fighting style yet

Yeah I know. I meant that we've seen a bunch of different styles.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Even within Fishman Karate and the 6 powers each person tends to use their own unique applications of it.

That's what I loving love about the 6 Powers.

You have a set base of skills and then each CP9 member has their own unique application methods (using them in a creative manner, combining multiple techniques, using them in tandem with their unique special powers (Devil Fruits, hermit skills), specializing in one certain technique, etc.), creating various wholly different fighting styles from 6 same techniques.

It's loving brilliant.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That's what I loving love about the 6 Powers.

You have a set base of skills and then each CP9 member has their own unique application methods (using them in a creative manner, combining multiple techniques, using them in tandem with their unique special powers (Devil Fruits, hermit skills), specializing in one certain technique, etc.), creating various wholly different fighting styles from 6 same techniques.

It's loving brilliant.
Yeah!! It's one of my favorite things in One Piece and I love that it keeps coming up, like with Coby having learned some when he reappears. There's so much potential there and I hope we see more of it when we get more Marine action later on.

A Bug posted:

And Sanji has his own version of a couple of the 6 powers with the air walk (and probably blue walk?) and him moving faster than the eye when he kicked Oven.
how loving cool was that oven scene tho? so drat cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CP9 kinda strike me as the One Piece version of the Ginyu Force a bit, but was fun with how they were introduced undercover. (I think a fair few people thought Kaku would be the Straw Hats' shipwright too) A couple of them even have their own arcs, with Kaku in particular illustrating the process of someone receiving a Devil Fruit and learning about their power as they fight. Rather interesting in that their whole thing is that they have a distinct fighting style they share but have mastered particularly specialties in it, and combine it with their various Devil Fruits, and illustrate how powerful a Zoan fruit can be when combined with sheer physical might. (Also interestingly illustrates that Luffy's fighting style more resembles that of a Zoan user, where he emphasises how his physical strength and techniques synergise with the way his fruit changes his body) Of course, it's rather Sanji, who is the closest thing the crew has at that point to a martial artist, who figures out some of their techniques for himself.

While we're on the Vinsmokes, it seems that they may be attempts to recreate the power of Devil Fruits without the disadvantages. Poison Pink might well be able to take Magellan since she's shown to be not only be immune to but benefit from some of the most powerful poisons in the world. And Sanji has been able to outswim a Fishman underwater which I imagine he takes pride in. Judge strikes me as a counterpart to Caesar Clown in being a former co-worker of Vegapunk who took a lot of dangerous lessons in science, but is a lot more competent and pragmatic even outside of his speciality, with the idea of using science to develop weapons in ways no one else has.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It’s weird that Sanji hasn’t learned Rankyaku yet. Is Oda afraid it would make Sanji’s fighting style too similar to Zoro’s? Or is he just saving that power up for later?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

It’s weird that Sanji hasn’t learned Rankyaku yet. Is Oda afraid it would make Sanji’s fighting style too similar to Zoro’s? Or is he just saving that power up for later?

He's known it all along, but would never use it on anything outside the kitchen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kaku fight was so far and away the best fight in the series. Idk why either, giraffe smashing with his face just works I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goofy yet formidable fighters are what One Piece is all about.

Sanji's interesting given his fighting style seems brute force based and mostly is, but he's probably the most strategically cunning Straw Hat and tends to contribute the most to (mostly deliberately) completely loving up the bad guy's plans. Might be because of the Vinsmoke military education, but also makes sense for a chef who needs to be constantly thinking as he moves.

Zoro's fighting style for the most part is his own invention, similar to Luffy's, and I think he takes a point of pride in that; he did mention that while he was trained in techniques that are suspiciously common in Wano, his whole three-sword style is something he came up with all on his own.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I didn't really notice until today that Stealth Black is quite literally the fully-actualized version of Mr Prince. Like, those are Sanji's alter egos pre and post resolving his family issues. Mr Prince is a veiled reference to his background as a... prince, Stealth Black is Sanji actually formally and explicitly admitting to being that prince.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That's a great way of looking at it, actually. I wonder if Usopp's character arc will conclude similarly with him accepting the Sogeking persona in some way. Shin Sogeking?? Sogeking Ace??? Sogeking Seven???

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

He is just going to fully embrace the God Usopp title or maybe God Sogeking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There has been the running theme that all of Usopp's old tall tales keep on coming true as he adventures through the Grand Line, he's even said that he's become able to do things he used to only boast about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There has been the running theme that all of Usopp's old tall tales keep on coming true as he adventures through the Grand Line, he's even said that he's become able to do things he used to only boast about.

Waiting for the glorious "IM NOT NEGATIVE" moment