Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who likes Grey and Diana and basically everything about the plot, my favorite thing is how the game has whole-heartedly embraced "your targets are evil" and "capitalism is bad" at the same time. Toss in a little Illuminati bullshit and it's fun setdressing for these great levels.

Also, ah, I didn't dig basically any of the pre-2016 Hitman plots because they were so grungy and awful. I don't want grindhouse, I don't want racism, I don't want gross action stuff, I want to be James Bond whacking Jeff Bezos on behalf of Shadow the Hedgehog, damnit!

loving this. all your targets are "realistic" rich monsters. the privileged popstar who has daddy issues and gets away with murder. that banker dickhead, etc. its better than, mob boss and soprano singer and his catholic boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hitman 2 ends with you whacking the leaders of a shelter against climate change that the rich will abscond to and lock the poor out once poo poo really hits the fan.

I like this video game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like the writing within levels and surrounding the targets, but the plot about 47's brother and Diane's parents not so much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

I like the writing within levels and surrounding the targets, but the plot about 47's brother and Diane's parents not so much.

This has always been the series' problem, really. The story around the levels and targets is good but the metaplot is always wrapped up in 47's past and his past is completely uninteresting. Just let him be a guy that goes around the world ruining people's day, that's all he needs to be.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'd argue that knowing every single staff member so well that you can immediately recognize when someone doesn't belong there is actually extremely good security work.

Granted he can't spot a wet floor unless there's a big sign over it so his observation skills are, let's say, selective.

You know what, that's entirely fair, there's nobody else in that level I need to be half so aware of what they're up to and keep my head on a swivel for!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This has always been the series' problem, really. The story around the levels and targets is good but the metaplot is always wrapped up in 47's past and his past is completely uninteresting. Just let him be a guy that goes around the world ruining people's day, that's all he needs to be.

On top of that even if it was a decent plot element the whole thing is solved now, it doesn't need to be retconned in every single game. He's a real good assassin and kills people in glamorous locations around the world, that's all we need on him.

Also lol https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/agent-47-finds-manhattan-jail-mission-weirdly-easy/

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i would never want it to be anything else. but now it reads like decent airport fiction instead of just shooting cynical stereotypes in the brain or making them have accidents. plus at least now people in the games look like people instead of either old fat balding men. muscle bound dude who all have the same size clothes and sex dolls.

that being said blood money is still my second favorite. plus i have a massive soft spot for clancy tier stuff like the various ubisoft clancy games and poo poo like hitman. its fun.
Oh yeah, it's not going to win any awards but it's better than most games would bother with. I'm not really knocking it :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mantis42 posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

yeah. like i think season 1 and 2 are steps in the right direction and i can see what they are trying to do. but i just like all the individual mission stories better. curious what everyones favorites are?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pirate Jet posted:

Hitman 2 ends with you whacking the leaders of a shelter against climate change that the rich will abscond to and lock the poor out once poo poo really hits the fan.

I like this video game.

I had a good laugh at K-Mart G-ManThe Constant patiently explaining to that oil baron that he had to vote for the Climate Change thing in Sgail because his big Doomsday Shelter was gonna end up being run like a Commune and that's Communism!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i think season 1 and 2 are steps in the right direction and i can see what they are trying to do. but i just like all the individual mission stories better. curious what everyones favorites are?

Kashmirian. It's something you cannot do in any other game.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Hands down, it's gotta be the Kashmirian.

Every time I replay Mumbai, I have to fight myself not to involve him in my shenanigans in one way or another.

A close second place is The Hero of Santa Fortuna, which I did on my very first playthrough there, and accidentally even got the umbrella escape in said first playthrough, having vaguely heard that there was some sort of mary poppins escape on that stage, but no details, and I saw something in the trees in the distance while trying to decide how to escape...without realizing you needed to do that mission story to make use of it, so pure fortun(a)e there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Digging Their Own Grave (Hawke's Bay): 1-20-2610813-02

TARGETS: The three guys digging a grave by the pickup truck full of explosives. Katana Melee in Suit for all of them.
COMPLICATIONS: Do Not Get Spotted, No Bodies Found, No Disguise Changes, Perfect Shooter, No Pacifications (All Optional).
NOTES: The gravediggers are all kind of looking at each other and there are other guards looking at them. You can't shoot cameras but you probably shouldn't because you can just disable them right at the start, but it also means no gunshot distractions. The katana is in the saferoom.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pulling off pushing Dahlia onto Victor with no knockouts, SASO, made me feel like a total badass, so that's probably my favourite. The Kashmirian is a really good one though.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 11, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Setting up the evacuation to get Viktor and Dahlia into the same room to bitch relentlessly at each other before triggering an accident kill under a chandelier was a ton of fun.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The Kashimirian is definitely the best. Next is probably getting Jordan Cross to beg for his life / making him kill Ken Morgan.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hitman 3 tutorial level confirmed

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just picked up the bank, and I'm laughing that "The Heist" appeared to just be get a costume to get through a door legally, when no one ever even looks at the door.

The level completion requirements turned out to be real fun though. I did it once each way silent assassin.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I really don't play this game super often, but seeing this thread pop up made me want to try the ET. I went and got that electric phone, got a hacker disguise, then dropped the phone stupidly so another hacker picked it while I went to grab the second objective. Which made me panic, because now I couldn't restart the level. Spent ages getting the deadly phone back by hunting down emetic poison, using it on the hacker, then panicking for a second time when I took him out but didn't have a convenient space to stash him.

I went back to find the lockpick in the drop-off near the greenhouse (changing disguises on the way as I went paranoid that the hacker would raise suspicion), back up to open the door to Sean's bathroom only to find that it has nowhere to stash people. (I then discovered the closet by the dudes playing games on the TV, but that was another stress-induced moment dragging the body by them).

Finally, the OP electrocution phone back in my hands, I went to find the target... Lounging on the balcony, totally unguarded. Push, Accident Kill, Silent Assassin.

TLDR: Running around for 20 minutes when the target just presents himself for the easiest kill in the world. I think the game just took pity at that point.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 11, 2019

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You actually triggered him going to the balcony. When you clear out the hackers he's working with, he'll step out for some fresh air and potentially a fateful encounter with gravity.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There's a storage closet in Sean's bedroom, next to the bathroom but on the far side of the bed. Less risk there, as if you wait for the guy going between windows to stop at one side or the other you've got time to drag them. Or you can just knock him out; until Rose returns himself, no one should be entering that room.

But yeah outside of that and the closet by the video game guys, there isn't much stash space upstairs in the farmhouse. Sometimes you can drag a guy all the way downstairs and into the box by the front door, but you have to watch for people in the operations room.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Nakar posted:

But yeah outside of that and the closet by the video game guys, there isn't much stash space upstairs in the farmhouse. Sometimes you can drag a guy all the way downstairs and into the box by the front door, but you have to watch for people in the operations room.
That would probably be super dicey during the ET though, since the guard upstairs doesn't do his full patrol.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Replaying the ET made me go look up the super easy method someone posted from the first time around

https://gfycat.com/deadsimpleafricanharrierhawk-hitman-gaming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Replaying the ET made me go look up the super easy method someone posted from the first time around

Oh my loving God that is incredible.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
How on earth did he ever wind up outside the farmhouse?

The most I ever managed to get him to do was wander onto the balcony.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hobo Clown posted:

The BALLS on this guy! He completed the other objective before even doing this! He was THAT SURE this would work!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who likes Grey and Diana and basically everything about the plot, my favorite thing is how the game has whole-heartedly embraced "your targets are evil" and "capitalism is bad" at the same time. Toss in a little Illuminati bullshit and it's fun setdressing for these great levels.

Also, ah, I didn't dig basically any of the pre-2016 Hitman plots because they were so grungy and awful. I don't want grindhouse, I don't want racism, I don't want gross action stuff, I want to be James Bond whacking Jeff Bezos on behalf of Shadow the Hedgehog, damnit!
I don't think there's anything wrong with the targets, but Lucas is a little odd. We spent the whole 2016 game hunting/being hunted by this madman trying to take down the ICA, then start out season 2 with, "Bodies. Male... and female." And then he's our best buddy and ally against the rich.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He's not trying to take down the ICA though? He's actually just hiring us to take down his enemies, which is the ICA's entire business. The part that doesn't make sense is how Diana / the ICA sees this as a problem.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Mzbundifund posted:

The part that doesn't make sense is how Diana / the ICA sees this as a problem.
Probably just don't like being manipulated, it's an understandable reaction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pirate Jet posted:

I like this video game.

i agree with the article about the Jebediah Block opportunities that it's a nice moral quandary - voting down the climate change resolution gets you an easier assassination, voting it up, uh, saves the world

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

He's not trying to take down the ICA though? He's actually just hiring us to take down his enemies, which is the ICA's entire business. The part that doesn't make sense is how Diana / the ICA sees this as a problem.

Pilchenstein posted:

Probably just don't like being manipulated, it's an understandable reaction.

It's one of those weird frictions that comes up because of the fundamental issue that the ICA as an entity doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Like it's the thing that exists to justify the premise of the game, but it's best to just leave it in that and not ask too many questions.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i agree with the article about the Jebediah Block opportunities that it's a nice moral quandary - voting down the climate change resolution gets you an easier assassination, voting it up, uh, saves the world

Does the vote still stand when one of the voting members is immediately found dead and another wakes up later to tell everyone he didn't actually vote (or is later found naked and dead)?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mzbundifund posted:

something something neutral organization something something was using cut-outs to hire them and thus pretending not to be behind all those hits for an organized purpose something something shadow client something something

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The ICA didn't care that much about the Shadow Client outside of the job in Colorado. They cared about discovering that one of their directors was compromised by the Illuminati and killed Soders and Yamazaki to send a message. This led to the Constant offering to help Diana if she'd... compromise the ICA to work with the Illuminati. Yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense but whatever.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't mind the secret societies within secret societies deal but the fact that Diana's entire arc in this is 'may find out 47 killed her parents and be mad about it' is so....nothing. I feel like she either needs more motivation or less.

I also literally can't even remember who the Shadow Client was working for in S1 when he went rogue or if it's even the same guys hes working against in S2 or if hes doing it for any other reason than revenge or who the other girl is who talks sometimes and just kinda enjoy each mission as a self-contained thing so I may not be the best person to ask v:shobon:v

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't mind the secret societies within secret societies deal but the fact that Diana's entire arc in this is 'may find out 47 killed her parents and be mad about it' is so....nothing. I feel like she either needs more motivation or less.

I also literally can't even remember who the Shadow Client was working for in S1 when he went rogue or if it's even the same guys hes working against in S2 or if hes doing it for any other reason than revenge or who the other girl is who talks sometimes and just kinda enjoy each mission as a self-contained thing so I may not be the best person to ask v:shobon:v

He was working for some providence rear end in a top hat, and crashed his plane and stole his super-secret vault key so he could rob the vault of all the providence secrets so he could hunt down and kill the rest of them. Oh, he also set up Dahlia and Victor to leak the secrets so he could lure another providence rear end in a top hat out into the open to investigate (the guy in the car in the cutscene) so he could get a second secret vault key since you need two of them. You can hear people talking about the plane crash and the rich rear end in a top hat that died in it in a few conversations in Bangkok, I think.

Also, the other girl is some hacker activist type he recruited to fight the power man. Who the ICA used to track the militia organization to Colorado to send him a message about 'not using us to fight your war for you', but then they discovered the whole providence conspiracy thing in the basement there, including Soders being on it, so they went to send another message to providence/Soders about loving with them as well.

...I think?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think Soders authorized the Colorado hit because he'd already been compromised by Providence, and he was hoping 47 would kill the Shadow Client at that time. But Grey wasn't onsite (though he was nearby), so 47 just killed all his lieutenants. What I presume Soders didn't anticipate was that Grey had an extensive amount of information and knew about him, and didn't realize that Diana was suspicious enough to ask 47 to go look for more information while he was there, and that led to Diana discovering Soders was compromised.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I missed the Colorado ET. That's the first ET I've missed for Hitman 2, but I haven't really been excited about these legacy ones. Where the hell are my ETs on the new maps?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nakar posted:

I think Soders authorized the Colorado hit because he'd already been compromised by Providence, and he was hoping 47 would kill the Shadow Client at that time. But Grey wasn't onsite (though he was nearby), so 47 just killed all his lieutenants. What I presume Soders didn't anticipate was that Grey had an extensive amount of information and knew about him, and didn't realize that Diana was suspicious enough to ask 47 to go look for more information while he was there, and that led to Diana discovering Soders was compromised.

Oh, right, I forgot that Soders specifically authorized the Colorado mission for Providence. Yeah, that too.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I just assumed the ica would charge a lot more for a big conspiracy takedown operation rather than a bunch of small individual seemingly unrelated hits

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

HORMELCHILI posted:

I just assumed the ica would charge a lot more for a big conspiracy takedown operation rather than a bunch of small individual seemingly unrelated hits

I'm sure that's part of it, too! I mean, this is clearly a world different from our own, wherein a 'neutral international assassination agency' gets to exist and be known to...basically everybody above the average citizen level, even if we assume the whole 'massive armies of cleanup agents and country-overthrowers' from various not so great titles don't exist. So the notion that they need to be 'neutral' and that matters insofar as killing some dude(s) in one job is fine, but killing a whole series of dudes in a coordinated attack on some other shadowy (well, compared to the ICA's openness) organization, from the same client, is not cool??? But yeah, I'd assume that part of their being peeved involved Grey ducking the group rate in some manner, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I've said it before but I'm still hoping Hitman 3 opens with The Constant saying,"The man who killed your parents was..... AGENT 47!" and she just goes,"....yeah, I know. He told me like 12 years ago. :confused:"