Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This isn't even a mystery, it's logged right in the guide which nobody reads (and sometimes on loading screens which apparently nobody reads either)

Effective damage triples the Mt of the weapon or spell in question. However, if you're using a combat art with effectiveness, it's only double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cheetah7071 posted:

Are you sure it's 2x? The tooltips I saw said bonus damage equal to 2x might, meaning the final formula is 3x

I evidently misread the tool tips :monocle:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Annette's supports with Felix where she makes up songs and Felix gives her poo poo for it are very good.

Annette rules

She has a support with Claude which is about another, similarly awesome song.
Creepity Crawl.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

OddObserver posted:

She has a support with Claude which is about another, similarly awesome song.
Creepity Crawl.

Claude even composed his own for her to boot :3:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Maybe some Fire Emblem Warriors is getting in people's memories? In that game, archers tore through flying units like paper even with a huge level disparity.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fond memories of obliterating a flying enemy twice over with a crossbow

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

HPanda posted:

Maybe some Fire Emblem Warriors is getting in people's memories? In that game, archers tore through flying units like paper even with a huge level disparity.

I still have PTSD from the 2003 GBA game where every time I tried to use Florina in a fight, some random rear end in a top hat enemy archer shot her out of the air like a clay pigeon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I would like a difficulty in this game that doesn't have AI with an "If I can attack, I will attack". Leads to dumb situations like a brawler trying to punch a Fortress Knight.

Enemies should be more reactive I guess is what I'm saying.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Seriously, Peg Knights with bows are absolutely hilarious to me

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

PantsBandit posted:

I would like a difficulty in this game that doesn't have AI with an "If I can attack, I will attack". Leads to dumb situations like a brawler trying to punch a Fortress Knight.

Enemies should be more reactive I guess is what I'm saying.

Yeah, that's something that's been getting to me. I remember running into (slightly) more reactive enemies with bigger toolboxes in the SSI "gold box" D&D games from the mid-80s.

It'd make a big difference here even if the enemies would stick together in formation, or rush your position to try and overwhelm you with numbers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So is the Golden Deer's gimmick that everybody gets poo poo level ups forever or something? I swear only Byleth has gotten a level with more than two stats in the last three chapters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sydin posted:

So is the Golden Deer's gimmick that everybody gets poo poo level ups forever or something? I swear only Byleth has gotten a level with more than two stats in the last three chapters.

I'm sorry, I'm taking all your levels.

Hilda/Byleth/Ashe/Claude are all nearing 30 in attack/speed stats at 25

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

edelgard is for protecting and cherishing

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The usefulness of archers on fliers only comes into question late game when flyers start becoming really dodgy or having high health or annoying skills and equipment. I remember wyverns giving me trouble for a bit.

But then Leonie became a bow knight and started striking down fliers like a wrathful goddess. Holy poo poo Leonie is insanely powerful. and according to her single epilogue she drinks like a Viking

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Whatever you say, Hubert.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

This is my first playthrough, and think I'm gonna take that path purely for more Hubert. He is an absolute treat.

Nobody tell me if anything bad happens to him.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I want Raphael to be my large adult son.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Raphael is one of the people who grows the least during the game, but that's all right because he starts out a sweet boy who just wants to eat and be friends with everybody and ends that way, too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Dedue is the only worthy character and everyone else belongs in the grave

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Raphael is a nice young man who probably needs to eat more vegetables, particularly Speed Carrots.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Raphael is one of the people who grows the least during the game, but that's all right because he starts out a sweet boy who just wants to eat and be friends with everybody and ends that way, too.

Raphael/Shamir is great because it's one of the ones where he does grow.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

HPanda posted:

This is my first playthrough, and think I'm gonna take that path purely for more Hubert. He is an absolute treat.

Nobody tell me if anything bad happens to him.

i had a meal with Edelgard and Hubert. Hubert said "sitting like this makes us look like we're plotting something nefarious" and Edelgard said "you realize that's mostly your fault, right?"
i'm totally convinced this guy just revels in his sinister evil-ness. there's no way he's not doing it on purpose.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hubert read The Prince once and is fully convinced that he is a master morally-ambiguous schemer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm nearing the end of a Bleagles run and I'm already dreading having to go up against El if I do another playthrough. she's right, you can't let literal lizards run the continent even if they do have cool hair. also tragic backstory. I'm definitely recruiting Bernie and StarfirePetra when I do start a GD run.

who are your least favorite recruitable characters? mine are Hilda and Ignatz. so glad I got to kill them both

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Where does Ignatz even show up?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

indigi posted:

who are your least favorite recruitable characters? mine are Hilda[/spoiler]

wtf

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The only character I have never once felt any compulsion to recruit is Ashe. Dude just looks so... :geno:. I routinely forget he even exists.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Marianne's paralogue was some hot bullshit. I took one look at the map and swapped in flayne to use rescue. Is there anyway else to do that map?

Also I have to say the fog of war maps would be unbearable without divine pulse. I pulsed more times on that map than the rest of the entire game combined.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 11, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Marianne's paralogue was some hot bullshit. I took one look at the map and swapped in flayne to use rescue. Is there anyway else to do that map?

The boss, together with all the wolves in the central forest, only activate if you move adjacent to them. Otherwise they'll remain stationary. The boss won't even attack Marianne until he activates. Wolves will attack but not move if the boss is inactive. The wild demonic beasts are always active and won't provoke the boss. So if you bring a lot of ranged attackers and are careful about positioning and visibility, you can control exactly when the enemies activate. It took me a lot of Divine Pulse charges, but I won that one with a rout and let Marianne score the killing blow on the commander.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I need advice:

I'm on my first playthrough of the game, Black Eagles. I'm coming up to The Choice.

When I was playing on my own, I decided that I would side with Edelgard without hesitation. I like her, and the idea of going against the church sounded really cool.

But then I'm seeing people say that the Church route is canon or whatever, and that I should play Edelgard last, if I do it at all. So now I'm at a crossroads. Should I just side with her since that was my first choice?

If I reload a save, how long will the second half of the game take? I'm not crazy about redoing support conversations on the other routes.
Side with your student, she's great
also, re: support convos - in NG+, you can spend renown on anything you've acquired in the past, including support ranks, so you only need go out of your way for new characters.

Andrast posted:

Healing gets me support points so I absolutely need all of it
this is absolutely true, and why I'm making Dorothea heal every slight bit of damage Sylvain takes

Funky Valentine posted:

Hubert read The Prince once and is fully convinced that he is a master morally-ambiguous schemer.

i had a meal with Edelgard and Hubert. Hubert said "sitting like this makes us look like we're plotting something nefarious" and Edelgard said "you realize that's mostly your fault, right?"
i'm totally convinced this guy just revels in his sinister evil-ness. there's no way he's not doing it on purpose.
I really appreciate that practically everyone's C rank with Hubert is him creeping out of the bushes and threatening them with murder. He's almost like a chuuni edgelord, albeit one that can actually use stupidly powerful magic.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Where does Ignatz even show up?

of edelgard's route it's the one with judith & Leonie, he's next to Judith rather than showing up as reinforcements. I assume Raphael also shows up on that map if you didnt have him already.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

she's lazy and seems like a jerk (and is racist based on what other posters have said about her and Cyril's supports)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The boss, together with all the wolves in the central forest, only activate if you move adjacent to them. Otherwise they'll remain stationary. The boss won't even attack Marianne until he activates. Wolves will attack but not move if the boss is inactive. The wild demonic beasts are always active and won't provoke the boss. So if you bring a lot of ranged attackers and are careful about positioning and visibility, you can control exactly when the enemies activate. It took me a lot of Divine Pulse charges, but I won that one with a rout and let Marianne score the killing blow on the commander.

oh huh. this would have saved me a lot of grief when i tried it, and i got impossibly lucky with poo poo like marianne's miracle saving me from a game over or hilda dodging a 80% hit that would have knocked her out

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The only character I have never once felt any compulsion to recruit is Ashe. Dude just looks so... :geno:. I routinely forget he even exists.

you take that back about my sweet boy :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If racism is a problem for picking students, I got bad news for you

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

claude is the anti-racist champion that fodlan needed and deserved

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just learned you can restore HP between rounds in tournaments. never even looked for the option. lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tae posted:

If racism is a problem for picking students, I got bad news for you

as long as they're ashamed enough about it to keep it to themselves

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This was yesterday but I don't think I've missed a single attack ever if the chance to hit is above 80%

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The highest percentage hit chance I can remember missing in this game was, I think, 89%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dr. Carwash posted:

Also I have to say the fog of war maps would be unbearable without divine pulse. I pulsed more times on that map than the rest of the entire game combined.

Seriously, those loving woods were full of Demonic Beasts, I had to move incredibly slowly so as to not pull multiple beasts at once, hope you've cleared them all out before you engage the big guy though, I had 5 of the things on me at the very end.