Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I think this has to be the only time an emotional flashback scene has actually made me feel ... well emotional.

Going through a tough time right now and I'm glad I checked out this thread and saw everyone's comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I kept waiting for the sakuga to stop but it never did

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ufotable is very good at what they do.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Aight this ep was straight up incredible, I was sleepin on the show a bit when zenitsu happened but I'm real glad I stuck with it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gnome7 posted:

And Nezuko has a blood art now!

It's a cool one too.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
UFOtable is incredible, holy poo poo :aaa:

I was fully expecting him to have to get bailed out of that fight the whole time, but what actually happened was way better. I could feel myself getting kind of choked up there for a moment too when they cut to happy flashback stuff in the ED, UFOtable likes to do that and it hits me every drat time. what a good episode drat

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JackDarko posted:

I think this has to be the only time an emotional flashback scene has actually made me feel ... well emotional.

Going through a tough time right now and I'm glad I checked out this thread and saw everyone's comments.

I wasn't expecting the payoff to that, I thought Tanjiro was just gonna steady himself and find the Opening Thread. I didn't think he was gonna suddenly convert elements and go ham with only the hilt of a sword.

Kinda wondering now if his dad had some history with the Corps? Breathing techniques seem to be specific to the sword-bearers, Kibutsuji seemed to recognize the earrings, and both Tanjiro and his dad have the scorch marks on their forehead

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo this episode :eyepop:

Anyone have any gifs yet?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Skypie posted:

I wasn't expecting the payoff to that, I thought Tanjiro was just gonna steady himself and find the Opening Thread. I didn't think he was gonna suddenly convert elements and go ham with only the hilt of a sword.

Kinda wondering now if his dad had some history with the Corps? Breathing techniques seem to be specific to the sword-bearers, Kibutsuji seemed to recognize the earrings, and both Tanjiro and his dad have the scorch marks on their forehead

He's gotta have some history, right? Fire-breathing fits too closely with all the other breathing techniques to not be a demon corps thing, even if he'd called it something else. Idk what the kanji used for Hinogami are, but "hi no gami" can be read as "god of fire."

Also I like that Tanjiro and Nezuko both got fire power ups at the same time. That sibling bond is real.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
That was insanely well animated. Hinokami Kagura's translated as Dance of the Fire God in the manga, which I think sounds better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Skypie posted:

They said he had a weak body right? He probably breathed too hard and had to retire after fighting Muzan, which would explain why he hid his family out in the woods and why Muzan went to the trouble of killing or demonizing them personally.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 11, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
need gifs of that final strike asap, what da gently caress that was boss. i mean poo poo thats how you sell a moment in an anime, goddamn

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that fight was hype as gently caress

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

God that whole sequence was absolutely, jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Incredible work.

JackDarko posted:

Yeah when I saw a flashback coming in I thought it was going to end up being trite, but it ended up being really striking. And then those shots in the credits just about killed me

So beautiful and :3:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
man they keep knocking it out of the park

all of that last episode right after the thread saying "why is nezuko always in a box, why cant she contribute?"

also inosuke is still the best, fight me

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
before i watched this ep i was lamenting the lack of nezuko but her return owned so much it kinda justifies her absence. that episode was incredible

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goddamn I was waiting for the dance of the fire god to get animated.

yessss its real good

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

i thought that was a giant asspull and overly convenient but i still loved the poo poo out of it

the ending credits affected me in a way that i am not going to describe to the internet.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like I've seen Nezuko's super move somewhere before...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

snackcakes posted:

i thought that was a giant asspull and overly convenient but i still loved the poo poo out of it

the ending credits affected me in a way that i am not going to describe to the internet.

It was sort of foreshadowed with references to his scar and earrings. Early in the episode they talked about one's life flashing before their eyes before death as a bit of a setup.

Yeah, it seems kind of silly that a forgotten dance from one's childhood would be a power upgrade, but this revelation came out of a moment when the siblings were in a tougher spot than ever before.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Normally I don't like a sudden powerup asspull but holy poo poo that was amazing

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's ok because it stems from a previously established mystery and the earlier in the episode "life flashes before your eyes in a search to save you" as said above.

Deus Ex Machina are bad when they come from literally nowhere. See Also: Super Sayan vs Ultra Instict.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
other shows could learn that when youre gonna do an asspull power up, at least have the conviction to go all out and sell it

how can you even be annoyed at all when this is the result

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

i wanted to be annoyed, but couldn't be. nezuko suddenly learning a blood art was weird, but it was also badass so i'm ok with it

all in all, a+ episode. might watch again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Gotoge has some recurring problems both properly setting up elements and using elements she's previously set up. Off the top of my head it never quite reaches the point of "this came out of nowhere" or "wait, so what happened to X", but at least for the former there's always little things here and there that could've been done to better foreshadow future developments, such as in this case where we could've just had a single little scene during the training or recovery arcs of Tanjiro practicing the kagura to help focus, and someone commenting it resembles a Breath and then it'd all have been perfect.

This is speculation on my part, but rather than coming up with stuff on the spot as is common with genre authors, I think it's more of a pacing thing; she'd been laying out KnY as a typical long-haul shounen, but in the interest of keeping the narrative tight she ends up running it through the chopping block before publishing. It's a bit sloppy, but the end result is nevertheless quite enjoyable.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I don't think this was an asspull at all.
As stated before, they've introduced the life flashing before your eyes before.
And we also knew Tanjiro's family had more going on, what with the earrings and what not.

Tanjiro up until now has been fighting with the Breath of Water style. And that worked for him. But it feels to me like he combined the dance of the Fire God, with the skills he learned training in the Water style.

We also know demons can use their blood for magic poo poo. So it was only a matter of time before Nezuko developed it. And having it thematically also be fire based at the same time as Tanjiro was just the icing on the cake for me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The dance of the fire god is one of the central plot threads of KnY, as well as who exactly were Tanjirous family and why the dance is so important.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Earlier, I was actually talking about the Elder Brother Spider VA, who now has casting and it's Morikubo, Shoutarou - aka Shikamaru from Naruto, Zangetsu from Bleach, Bartolomeo from One Piece, etc.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Yawgmoft posted:

Deus Ex Machina are bad when they come from literally nowhere. See Also: Super Sayan vs Ultra Instict.

Wait, both of those were heavily foreshadowed though?

Anyway, I told you guys Nezuko would do more. I was waiting for this scene in particular since the series started and Ufotable more than delivered.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

speaking of foreshadowing, the swordmaker dude said that he thought tanjiro's sword would be red, right? seems like it fixed itself when he chopped off spider bro's head, and since he was doing a fire technique i reckon the sword is probably red now?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

snackcakes posted:

speaking of foreshadowing, the swordmaker dude said that he thought tanjiro's sword would be red, right? seems like it fixed itself when he chopped off spider bro's head, and since he was doing a fire technique i reckon the sword is probably red now?

Nope on both counts.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

snackcakes posted:

Huh? When did it fix itself? Seemed more like Nezukos blood art just buffed the remainder of his sword si he could make the cut. I'm sure the next episode will probably be about recovering at demon slayer hq while he gets a new sword.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I have no gripes about this episode because Gotoge kept crying after watching the episode over and over again and I will not besmirch her happiness

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This anime continues to weirdly fumble its story beats, but it also continues to have cool fights, great character moments and godly animations that makes me not care about its faults.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the plot is def not the selling point of this series, that's for sure

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tanjiro's family was also stated to work with fire. Which is the reason the Swordsmith thought it would be Red.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anything else by Ufotable I should check out? Preferably something on one of the major streaming platforms. I have Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Fate/Zero and its sequel Fate/Stay Night UBW are both by ufotable and on crunchyroll I believe. Not sure what all else they've done, besides like the animations on God Eater.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
Kara no Kyoukai was streamable for a while. Don't know if it's still on amazon. But it's a series of movies and fantastic. I believe its 7 movies and an OVA. Stellar production all the way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tanjiro's family was also stated to work with fire. Which is the reason the Swordsmith thought it would be Red.

Except his family sells charcoal so it's black instead :v:.