Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Mirror Entity for 0 seems better.

If you want to kill your commander, I guess?

It's more of, hey, here comes a board wipe, guess I'll turn all my poo poo into eggs that now die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Why do you need mirror entity to make your eggs die to the sweeper and also why doesn't the commander die in this situation?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr. Stab posted:

Why do you need mirror entity to make your eggs die to the sweeper and also why doesn't the commander die in this situation?

you use mirror entity to make all your creatures eggs.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Kozilek, eat the eggs

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yawgmoth posted:

you use mirror entity to make all your creatures eggs.

Now that I've actually read the card, egg tribal ahoy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Found a free promo Swamp in my complimentary 800-count cardbox. :radcat:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Wurzag posted:

Kozilek, eat the eggs

"Eggs and eggs. We eat!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Sure, but consider the following.

Mirror Entity for 1.

Mirror Entity for zero so she becomes an egg herself and something hatches from her.

The Shortest Path posted:

Anger of the Gods is a nonbo with her anyways iirc, if it kills the eggs you don't get the ability because they exile.

I forgot that was the 3 for 3 that did that, compared to like Sweltering Suns and Slagstorm that are just 3 damage.

I wanna crack the eggs but have her live through it ok and I only have pyroclasm, whipflare, and X spells.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Volcanic Fallout also is okay

Alternatively, crack your eggs on a Phyrexian Altar

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

Volcanic Fallout also is okay

Alternatively, crack your eggs on a Phyrexian Altar

Ashnod's Altar, because with that and Thornbite Staff she goes infinite and can assemble a Kiki combo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Adventures in Nic Fit at GP Minneapolis legacy side events

Had the following interactions:
1. Hostage Taker a Marit Lage token
2. Plaguecrafter a Marit Lage token, then later in the game Eternal Witness back Plaguecrafter to get another Marit Lage token
3. Phantasmal Image a Marit Lage token
4. Survive a Marit Lage attack by sacrificing the Phantasmal image with Yawgmoth and drawing into ice-fang coatl to block
5. Flashing in an Ice-Fang Coatl to trade with a Craterhoof and survive at 1
6. Podding up a Plague Engineer game 1 vs Elves
7. Pod E. Wit into Hostage Taker on an Archon of Valor's Reach after Archon had named "Enchantment"
8. Getting an ancestral recall because Stoneblade opponent has to use 3 jitte counters on my maindeck Trygon Predator while I have Leovold in play
9. Drawing 16 cards off of Edric over the course of a game and losing
10. Getting turn 2'd by Painter after cabal therapy'ing twice
11. Creating 20 power with Titania EOT

deck rules

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Good lord. I'd've been all about that poo poo 15 years ago, but now I just want to beat down and not go to time before signing the matchslip.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

2. Plaguecrafter a Marit Lage token, then later in the game Eternal Witness back Plaguecrafter to get another Marit Lage token
4. Survive a Marit Lage attack by sacrificing the Phantasmal image with Yawgmoth and drawing into ice-fang coatl to block
7. Pod E. Wit into Hostage Taker on an Archon of Valor's Reach after Archon had named "Enchantment"
8. Getting an ancestral recall because Stoneblade opponent has to use 3 jitte counters on my maindeck Trygon Predator while I have Leovold in play

deck rules

wait painter still exists even after the top ban?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A big flaming stink posted:

wait painter still exists even after the top ban?

Painter can also run the Karn lock and its getting more popular.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

deck rules

Nic Fit is great because it's basically playing Commander while your opponent plays legacy and you also dont have to play commander. A+

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Walked posted:

Nic Fit is great because it's basically playing Commander while your opponent plays legacy and you also dont have to play commander. A+

So, Canadian Highlander?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do Magic players still say 'mise'?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

Old spikes do yes why

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LSV says it regularly on streams

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Rich Shay does

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I said it an FNM the other day and literally nobody understood

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ShaneB posted:

Old spikes do yes why

No reason, my college roommate used to say it and I find myself thinking it every now and then. Just idly wondering if it had survived all the other changes to Magic's lexicon.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

apparently Matt mass took a mono blue artifact deck into the top 8 of some tournament. I built it on arena and I have no loving clue how it wins even a single game.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

meanolmrcloud posted:

apparently Matt mass took a mono blue artifact deck into the top 8 of some tournament. I built it on arena and I have no loving clue how it wins even a single game.

I believe it was the fandom legends from last Thursday - he streamed all his games on twitch so watching that should give you some insight into the play patterns, etc

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

I believe it was the fandom legends from last Thursday - he streamed all his games on twitch so watching that should give you some insight into the play patterns, etc

Which is a 16 person tournament that he went 3-2 in and then lost in the quarterfinals, he always jams hot messes of decks into them.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

meanolmrcloud posted:

this is how you play magic

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

matt nass operates on a different plane of deckbuilding than us mere mortals

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jeoh posted:

I watched a lot of the mat nass games and i felt like he got pretty lucky in swiss against decks like "manascrewed scapeshift"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm farely new to the game. I play both paper and arena. I was thinking of picking up the 5 planeswalker packs(the new ones that come with arena codes) and the core 2020 bundle. Is this a good use of my money to get started?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm farely new to the game. I play both paper and arena. I was thinking of picking up the 5 planeswalker packs(the new ones that come with arena codes) and the core 2020 bundle. Is this a good use of my money to get started?

Are you trying to play a competitive format like standard at a store? If so, no. The arena code is nice and all but the pre-made planeswalker packs aren’t going to let you be competitive at a store.

If you’re just playing kitchen table magic with friends and family or you have zero interest in playing competitively and are just looking to jam games -sure

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dehtraen posted:

Are you trying to play a competitive format like standard at a store? If so, no. The arena code is nice and all but the pre-made planeswalker packs aren’t going to let you be competitive at a store.

If you’re just playing kitchen table magic with friends and family or you have zero interest in playing competitively and are just looking to jam games -sure

Nah its just playing with friends and ranked arena. No interest in local tournaments.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

I'm a beginner too and like playing paper with friends. I found the Guild kits (there are 10) to be the most interesting/varied. The planeswalker decks can be frustratingly bad

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jeoh posted:

I wish I was as passionate about anything as Matt Nass is about staring lovingly at LSV

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

ItBreathes posted:

mise well run negator, what a house. savage tings

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Mega Comrade posted:

Nah its just playing with friends and ranked arena. No interest in local tournaments.

Gotcha. Go with beedub’s recommendation - you’ll probably have a lot more fun

beedub posted:

I'm a beginner too and like playing paper with friends. I found the Guild kits (there are 10) to be the most interesting/varied. The planeswalker decks can be frustratingly bad

Other options too would be some of the card kingdom battle decks

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lol

https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1160658714472460290?s=19

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Yeah, glad I'm not bothering with Birmingham.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hogaak is exactly what modern deserves, tron players got a linear deck that goes faster

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The only planeswalker deck worth buying is the WAR Gideon one, because Gideon's Company is really good in the Orzhov Lifegain deck

Of course, that deck is like tier 4 so it's not super competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
did wotc not realize (something like) this was a very likely outcome of printing MH?