Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Breakfast All Day posted:

This tripped some memory in me too, and after going through a bunch of poo poo where i had to convince myself, "I remember it looking great but based on the time it must've looked worse than that" (like Boogie Wings), I think it's:

Skunny: Desert Raid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YsPOreqh5A

Thanks, but that's definitely not it.

The game that I played had much larger airplane sprites that took up more of the screen, and the detail level was somewhere between Boogie Wings and this. Also, I'm pretty sure that you could fly up to where you couldn't see the ground anymore, and also turn around and go back to the left.

It's especially annoying because I was a tester on it, and never saw it again, so for all I know they failed to finish the game or never found a publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

SECOND GUESS (better feeling about this one):
"Golden Flutes and Great Escapes" (for Apple II)
- Actually 4 adventure games; specifically "The Great Escape"

HOLY. gently caress.

The second I saw "HE MOVES TO FIND YOU !" I knew that was it.

Like, you own loving hard, my fellow goon :respek:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There was an LP of a Japanese man playing a sped-up ROM of Super Mario Bros. 3 on Niconico, and I’ve never been able to find it again.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

8 Ball posted:

I had a good search and found two of mine after this thread inspired me so here’s two more:

When I was a kid in the mid 90s I had two arcade flightsim PC games that I’d love to find again. One was a biplane dogfighting game where you could maybe be the pilot or the gunner (I mostly remember the gunner part), it was in first person behind the machine guns and I believe the guns could jam? The title screen was an airfield with the planes lined up I’m pretty sure. I think you could pick different planes and get after action reports with your score but I’m a bit hazy on that part

The second was a WWII bomber game where you were sat in the bomb bay looking down and aiming your bombing run with a scope, I enjoyed watching the sticks of bombs dropping away but what stuck with me most is that when you died the camera panned up/flashed to a skeleton dressed as an airman. I’ve tried searching on old game sites but no luck as yet 😕

Update:
The closest thing I can find is a game called "Ace of Aces," which has the opening and closing bomb bay doors, side weapons to kill planes and crap (rockets/guns), etc.
I distinctly remember there being a minimap, too, and way more real estate on screen then following image.
I remember the graphics being full-color, not absolute dogshit, and definitely way higher resolution than attached image, but maybe this will jog some goon memories:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 10, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Mine is a Gauntlet knockoff made in some derivative of the heretic/hexen engine called "Mageslayer". I know it's out there but drat if I can't find a way to play it.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

OMG the second one has been a white whale game for me, as well.
I'm almost convinced that the game had a few different modes? One mode was the bombing run, then there was another one that was a side view of planes where you could do fighter dogfights and stuff. I could be conflating two games. I also seem to recall this game (or games) being on CD-ROM, back in the early 90s before I had a computer with a CD drive, which was badass.
I do remember that the bombing run aspect had a practice mode where you could just slam infinite bombs down onto bullseyes on the ground (you could make a line of little explosions across the map), but then the actual missions were really hard for a small child and resulted in death by AA site pretty quickly.

FOUND IT: The Ancient Art of War in the Skies

I totally remember that pencil now too

8 Ball fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 10, 2019

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Mine is a Gauntlet knockoff made in some derivative of the heretic/hexen engine called "Mageslayer". I know it's out there but drat if I can't find a way to play it.

Oh yeah, this game worked fine under Windows XP, but I think I had trouble getting important layers of graphics to render properly in Win7 (or maybe it was just Vista that was utter trash, naturally).. I probably can check to see if I still have a copy somewhere and if it works for me in Win10 somehow...

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

When we were in Japan summer of 2017, my husband and I stumbled on a late-night show on television there called Headlines and Healing, which was footage of cute or soothing stories playing while international headlines scrolled along the bottom of the screen. The episode we saw had a bunch of stories about cats, but there was another episode of the same program after it featuring traditional artwork of some kind.

I have been trying to find any sign of this show’s existence on the internet ever since, with absolutely no luck. I’d love to find a video of it online, or at least a site that acknowledges that it’s a thing, since aside from a lovely photo I took of the TV screen, I cannot get any confirmation that we didn’t collectively hallucinate the entire thing.

curlingiron fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 11, 2019

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Oh yeah, this game worked fine under Windows XP, but I think I had trouble getting important layers of graphics to render properly in Win7 (or maybe it was just Vista that was utter trash, naturally).. I probably can check to see if I still have a copy somewhere and if it works for me in Win10 somehow...

There is a guide to getting it to run in Win7 here.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Traxis posted:

There is a guide to getting it to run in Win7 here.

It might be easier to just buy a loving windows 95 machine jfc.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

yippeekiyaymf posted:

There was this show back in the late 80s/early 90s called The new adventure of beans Baxter. I have never met another person who has heard of it and gave up internet searching years ago.

I remember this. It was a very early FOX Network show, maybe even one of their first non sports broadcasts. I think the main character was a high school aged James Bond? But a comedy?

...that sounds so stupid, but then again this was around the same time Herman's Head aired.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

yippeekiyaymf posted:

There was this show back in the late 80s/early 90s called The new adventure of beans Baxter. I have never met another person who has heard of it and gave up internet searching years ago.

There are multiple episodes on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UpEC57jSuc

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Really obscure cartoon from the 70s I think about a cat who hated Mondays and loved lasagna.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Really obscure cartoon from the 70s I think about a cat who hated Mondays and loved lasagna.

Pretty sure that's the 1979 Don Bluth short film 'Banjo the Woodpile Cat'. He hated Sundays and loved spaghetti bolognese, you were close but you remembered it wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjak1KGbZS4

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

curlingiron posted:

When we were in Japan summer of 2017, my husband and I stumbled on a late-night show on television there called Headlines and Healing, which was footage of cute or soothing stories playing while international headlines scrolled along the bottom of the screen. The episode we saw had a bunch of stories about cats, but there was another episode of the same program after it featuring traditional artwork of some kind.

I have been trying to find any sign of this show’s existence on the internet ever since, with absolutely no luck. I’d love to find a video of it online, or at least a site that acknowledges that it’s a thing, since aside from a lovely photo I took of the TV screen, I cannot get any confirmation that we didn’t collectively hallucinate the entire thing.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing_Time

I dunno about digging up the individual video, looks like the wiki may have some kind of list of episode summaries. Here's just a random one I found though, so not a hallucination:

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30279669

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Still trying to find this old sword and sorcery movie, that had some sci fi

All I can remember are bits, one part had the heroes climbing along a cliff face that had holes in it, and pink worms would come out and grab you, one hero used his hand and a staff to trick and kill one

Some princess was trying to free her father, who had been trapped in some weird cybernetic egg, guarded by what I can only describe as a flying cyborg tapeworm with a face.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
Oh, another one. A PC game that I can picture in my head but sounds really vague when I describe it.

I played it in the mid-90s, but it could've come out before, although I'm sure it wasn't as far back as the 80s. It was a fantasy, and I'm pretty sure the main character wasn't human (troll, elf, wizard, maybe?). The way the screen was set up, it was 3-4 platforms, but platforms that ran the whole screen, so you were just going up and down. So, you would jump the platforms collecting things, items, magic stuff (there must have been enemies, but I don't remember them as clearly). If you just walked sideways, you would eventually hit a full screen-length gate, and you had to go back and collect a key to continue - I do recall backtracking being a part of it. It was typical old fantasy-style outdoor setting, lots of green and stone walls, that sort of thing.

If I try to picture the main character, I think he was quite squat and wore robes, but my memory isn't as good on that.

Edit: Another game that may be easier to find, but I haven't - old PC game where you are trying to protect a city from some kind of giant worms or caterpillars. Super old blocky graphics, very little colour, 'city' is just some block buildings, very basic looking.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tumble posted:

My white whale is this older (80ish?) medieval sword-dudes-on-a-quest movie I watched when I was much younger. I can't remember much about it, but there was a scene where a guy fell in a swamp and when he came back up he was just a skull. I never finished the movie because it scared the bejesus out of me, and that's pretty much the only scene I can remember about it.

That'd be the 1962 film The Magic Sword (aka St. George and the Seven Curses aka The Seven Curses of Lodac) starring Gary Lockwood and Basil Rathbone.

It's on Youtube, I've cued this up to the swamp scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_AcorJ9b6Y&t=2171s

Here's the MST3K episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhEnz2MhHI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr. Bones posted:

A mid-2000s music video that was made to look like Goldeneye's multiplayer mode, so it was in kind of a split-screen format with the band members running around with blocky looking guns, karate chopping each other, stuff like that. It was uptempo pop-punk or ska, and the only lyrics I can remember are "I don't wanna bring you down x3 / down again, down again". I've googled every variation of "goldeneye music video" possible and haven't come anywhere close to finding it.

Shyne Factory - Bring You Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzJv5UzYMFU

My white whales (that I can think of, right now) are both known and unknown:

Known: Eagleslayer (or Eagleslayer 2000)'s song "Handsome Dr Stabby Eyez". I used to have a copy of this, but lost it. Can't find it ANYWHERE. Help?

Unknown: a kid's Christmas book from the 80s, maybe 70s (I was born in 83, had it as a kid). It might be a Golden Book, not sure, but the main thing I remember from it is that all of the art almost looked like stained glass, in that there were very thick outlines for everything, and inside of those lines were likely solid colours, not sure. I specifically remember big, person-sized candles which were red with white trimming, made to look like snow. Bits and pieces are sort of coming to the surface of my mind, but then it fades away.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Tip posted:

There are multiple episodes on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UpEC57jSuc

Well poo poo. Color me surprised. I stopped looking for this show like a decade ago.

Thanks SA!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Super weird and random game that's stuck in my head:

Either from a MacAddict disc or one of those SuperShareware 250 games discs.

It's a mid 90s RPG style game demo (2D overhead). Timed demo so you could explore all over but the monsters could seriously wreck your poo poo if you ventured too far. All I remember from it is it used a bunch of 80s music for the battle and world music... like literally lifted Berlin's Metro and OMD's Electricity (a rough MIDI cover but still) as the music for one encounter.

Holy poo poo, I went down a weird rabbit hole of trying to find the right 80s Electronica song that led to Mac Repository that led to the loving game:

REALMZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nyl46nqXw

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 11, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
A prerendered (?) PC game that was on a PC Gamer demo disc sometime from Apr 1997 to July 2002.

Was a robot dog point and click (iirc) adventure game, I thiiiiink you were a dog detective? Art style couldve been from Grim Fandango to Septerra Core, don't have clear enough memories to be sure.

I remember being in a junkyard, dark and gloomy?

All my searching picks up the Dogz and Catz series, not even close though.

I do have all the demo discs from that period, spent a few hours going through them, but no luck.

On that note, I should probably rip all the old discs for the Coconut Monkey stuff and weird demos that never made it to full games.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Jeza posted:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing_Time

I dunno about digging up the individual video, looks like the wiki may have some kind of list of episode summaries. Here's just a random one I found though, so not a hallucination:

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30279669

Aaaaaaaaa! Thank you so much! :swoon:

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

My white whale is a comic about a guy who does belladonna trying to get high. It makes him go bat-poo poo insane then blacking out. He eventually wakes up in a strange town being nursed back to health by some kind strangers. It's hilarious and I've never been able to find it again. I read it online somewhere between 2000-2003. Comic is in black and white.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Holy poo poo, you're the best!

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

8 Ball posted:

FOUND IT: The Ancient Art of War in the Skies

I totally remember that pencil now too

You're beautiful. :swoon:

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

FilthyImp posted:

Super weird and random game that's stuck in my head:

Either from a MacAddict disc or one of those SuperShareware 250 games discs.

It's a mid 90s RPG style game demo (2D overhead). Timed demo so you could explore all over but the monsters could seriously wreck your poo poo if you ventured too far. All I remember from it is it used a bunch of 80s music for the battle and world music... like literally lifted Berlin's Metro and OMD's Electricity (a rough MIDI cover but still) as the music for one encounter.

Holy poo poo, I went down a weird rabbit hole of trying to find the right 80s Electronica song that led to Mac Repository that led to the loving game:

REALMZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nyl46nqXw

There is pretty active discussion on Realmz in the SpidWeb thread in Games. Or there was last time I went in there.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I searched for YEARS of this video from the 90s of these punk teens destroying these homes in this newly-developed housing area (throwing a bowling ball through a barney the dinosaur wall, microwaving a live fish, bashing poo poo in with bats) and it was a major news story in the early 90s but I could not find it for poo poo either from google search or by searching in youtube and found it immediately with DuckDuckGo.

how the gently caress are you going to mention this video and then not link it like a fuckass? share the goods pal

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
Please help me remember a pc adventure game from the 90s -

You played as I think a cartoon dingo, your sidekick was a female cat, and the antagonist was a crocodile or alligator.

I recall the game was in two separate parts, one set in Australia and the other set in Thailand.

The dingo character was dressed a bit like Indiana Jones.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Speaking of old Mac games, can we all just take a moment to remember Our Lord and Savior, Ambrosia Software?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That'd be the 1962 film The Magic Sword (aka St. George and the Seven Curses aka The Seven Curses of Lodac) starring Gary Lockwood and Basil Rathbone.

It's on Youtube, I've cued this up to the swamp scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_AcorJ9b6Y&t=2171s

Here's the MST3K episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhEnz2MhHI

Hahaha, that's the one. It's... not quite as scary as it was when I was 6 or 7 though. Thanks dude, I've been trying to figure out what that was for the longest time - me and a friend had both seen the movie and gotten scared at the same part but we couldn't remember what the movie was for the life of us.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 11, 2019

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

There was some PS1 game I remember playing at friends place once as a child. You flew around some science complex in a mech suit and the villains name was Kim. I don't remember the title at all, but everything was in first person.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Elderbean posted:

There was some PS1 game I remember playing at friends place once as a child. You flew around some science complex in a mech suit and the villains name was Kim. I don't remember the title at all, but everything was in first person.

Kileak - The DNA Imperative

It was one of the first PS1 games.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Slothful Bong posted:

A prerendered (?) PC game that was on a PC Gamer demo disc sometime from Apr 1997 to July 2002.

Was a robot dog point and click (iirc) adventure game, I thiiiiink you were a dog detective? Art style couldve been from Grim Fandango to Septerra Core, don't have clear enough memories to be sure.

I remember being in a junkyard, dark and gloomy?

All my searching picks up the Dogz and Catz series, not even close though.

I do have all the demo discs from that period, spent a few hours going through them, but no luck.

On that note, I should probably rip all the old discs for the Coconut Monkey stuff and weird demos that never made it to full games.

Any chance it was Sam and Max: Freelance Police? The game was never actually released, but looking at some of the stills here, there was an environment similar to what you described, and PC Gamer did a feature on it in that timeframe.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

how the gently caress are you going to mention this video and then not link it like a fuckass? share the goods pal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WPLNf3jbI

This is a small snippet of what's apparently a two hour video. If you search "teens destroy house 1995" on youtube you can find other clips of them destroying the bathroom and even smashing holes in the ceiling from above. They also liked abusing animals, so maybe don't go looking if you don't want to see that.

Mr. Bones fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 12, 2019

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

cormorant posted:

A song I heard one time at least 20 years ago that has stuck with me. It was a folk-rock style song, and the one line I can remember from it is "sitting in the back of a long black Cadillac."

I've googled every iteration of this phrase a dozen times and not found the right one.

If I could compare the style to any artist, it would be Nick Cave, but I'm pretty sure I dug through his entire catalog looking for it and didn't find it.

Any chance it's The Blasters? The color is wrong, but the line is close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVt8yWGGWY

Enjoy your probe. Get back to me in three weeks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tumble posted:

Hahaha, that's the one. It's... not quite as scary as it was when I was 6 or 7 though. Thanks dude, I've been trying to figure out what that was for the longest time - me and a friend had both seen the movie and gotten scared at the same part but we couldn't remember what the movie was for the life of us.

I guess I should add I found it by going to the Wikipedia page for sword & sorcery films and clicking randomly through old ones until I found one that mentioned a character dying in a swamp. :v:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

teen witch posted:

{snip description}

Sounds like a school-themed Packers Bell Explorer. I had it on my computer my folks bought me for starting med school and my ex-wife absolutely loved it. I was using the command line in DOS but she couldn’t figure that out but the PBx was a GUI that she got intuitively. Globe to internet, file cabinet for files, pencil cup for Paint, telephone was fax/modem. Other Easter eggs all around.

I didn’t like it but without it I don’t think she could have learned Win95 and then Win98. She learned the parts and pieces well enough to be her office’s (medical transcription manager) resident computer toucher. So I’ll just leave it to show it was useful to somebody who wanted to look at recipes while I was taking a study break to play EverQuest :dance:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I also forgot mine. My dad used to find books for me by author or picture on the cover. On visitation day one summer he brought me 7 or 8 from new authors who “seemed” like sci-fi based on cover. He brought me a book with a man in a snowy background while wearing a white coverall/hat and holding some futuristic gun. The book was about memes, but this was back in high school before the web really existed and memes were more scholarly-based and dangerous. A computer AI (not the only one) learned how to use memes (pronounced meems) to overwrite human brains. The AI was trying to use memes to take over the world, and a resistance had formed against it.

Again, this is NOT memes like we think of them. They were more like radio jingles and cell towers and subliminal TV commercials. The early version of the word that the modern meaning of them from which it grew.

I ended up in restraints while I was halfway through the book. My Psychiatrist got rid of all 100 or so books because they were mostly sci-fi/fantasy and causing delusions interfering with my treatment plan. I still hate that doctor but I always wanted to finish that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DerekSmartymans posted:

(pronounced meems)

How do you pronounce meme?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Again, this is NOT memes like we think of them. They were more like radio jingles and cell towers and subliminal TV commercials. The early version of the word that the modern meaning of them from which it grew.

I ended up in restraints while I was halfway through the book. My Psychiatrist got rid of all 100 or so books because they were mostly sci-fi/fantasy and causing delusions interfering with my treatment plan. I still hate that doctor but I always wanted to finish that book.

So the first definition of the word - that is still accurate and in use. Sorry about your therapist though.