Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

My Lovely Horse posted:

The thing is, it takes place in the present day, but they didn't change any of the details that firmly tie it to 1990, except Crowley's got CDs in his car now instead of tapes.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, mainly for that, and for the overbearing narration that completely ignores how this is a TV show and you can just show things to the audience. Tennant and Sheen are very good though, and so are Newt/Shadwell/Madame Tracy from what little I've seen.

I was afraid of all of that. I’ll still watch it though it seems like it has a lot of problems that many adaptations of Discworld material also shares: too much twee, not enough focus on the philosophical aspects. It’s easy to let the cleverness of the prose overwhelm the adaptation and not take it seriously when the story calls for it (because again the people doing the adaptation were too taken with the prose.)

The only adaptation I recall enjoying was Hogfather and that’s because the antagonists were treated with real drama and menace instead of endless rehashing and parroting of the prose and making it “cute” because that was supposed to be comedy. The first episode of Good Omens really gave me bad vibes on the cutesification aspect and the narrator kept running over the drama of the scenes as a crutch instead of letting it breath for themselves. If that continues throughout the series then that’s super disappointing, the story is strong enough to be dramatic on its own without a narrator going LOOK LOOK HOW DRAMATIC THIS ALSO I’M REPEATING ALL THAT CLEVER STUFF FROM THE NOVEL BECAUSE OF HOW CLEVER IT WAS BECAUSE WE DIDN’T TRUST THE ACTORS OR THE SCENES TO CONVEY IT.

Hurff.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean it's the actual Neil Gaiman writing it and with one thing or another I completely understand and empathize why he'd be driven to keep as much of Terry Pratchett's original prose and phrasing in there as possible

just still doesn't really work as a TV show is the thing.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I think it would have worked better with a different narrator, she kind of fell flat to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Madame Tracy was inspired casting and needs to play Nanny Ogg in a big budget Wyrd Sisters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

The thing is, it takes place in the present day, but they didn't change any of the details that firmly tie it to 1990, except Crowley's got CDs in his car now instead of tapes.

This topic reminded me of the fact that since Sue Grafton made her protagonist in the alphabet crime novels age much slower than real time, she had to research the 80s on line by the latest books because she couldn't loving remember how they were.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

This topic reminded me of the fact that since Sue Grafton made her protagonist in the alphabet crime novels age much slower than real time, she had to research the 80s on line by the latest books because she couldn't loving remember how they were.

Ellis Peters got round this by setting the Cadfael novels in the 12th century.

(They're also really good and I recommend them. The TV adaptations with Derek Jacobi are solid if you can't find the books.)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

HIJK posted:

The only adaptation I recall enjoying was Hogfather

Same, but I also really enjoy the animated Soul Music adaption with Christopher Lee as Death.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

precision posted:

Madame Tracy was inspired casting and needs to play Nanny Ogg in a big budget Wyrd Sisters

Not unless she can beat Miriam Margolyes. (She can't).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I halfway liked it.

We didn't get to spend enough time with the kids as normal kids, and enough time with the horsemen to really get a sense of them. Giving War a little more time to play the fem fatale would have made her end appearance more shocking. They tried to do the CHOW stuff with Famine, but it was so brief that it didn't make any sense.

A lot of things looked a little cheap, in a bad way. Specifically the aliens, which were also very rushed. I also don't know why they felt it necessary to actually show Satan at the end when they should have just done the Earth shaking and maybe some glowing cracks in the ground.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beachcomber posted:

A lot of things looked a little cheap, in a bad way. Specifically the aliens, which were also very rushed. I also don't know why they felt it necessary to actually show Satan at the end when they should have just done the Earth shaking and maybe some glowing cracks in the ground.

The book kind of implies the aliens look a bit dime-store, doesn't it? They're not even sure why they're there, and they're literally the products of a child's imagination anyway. I give it credit ;)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They had more character with the helmets on.

When the helmet came off it looked like some oval office's first go at blender.

Sometimes less is more.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

tooterfish posted:

They had more character with the helmets on.

When the helmet came off it looked like some oval office's first go at blender.

Sometimes less is more.

This. This is how I feel about Satan at the end too. God knows how much budget they blew on that alone.

I also disliked the opening credits.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Just finished binging the Good Omens series, after having reread the book a couple days ago. For someone who enjoyed the book, it was pretty good, but idk how good it would be to the uninitiated. David Tennant in particular does a fantastic job as Crowley, and most of the other actors were pretty good too.

But much like Hogfather, it seriously suffered from being too faithful an adaptation. Most of the stuff with Adam and the Them does not work very well in film, and really ought to have been rewritten considerably. I find that's true of most stories involving kids under the age of fourteen or so - kids in books simply do not behave like kids in reality, and when you put it into a visual medium without substantial rewriting, it becomes jarring. And besides kids, there were quite a few other minor bits that I felt didn't really work without having read the book ahead of time.

I don't think there were more than a dozen or so lines that weren't directly lifted from the book. The book is not a television script, and should not have been taken as one. As is, lots of connecting stuff that makes everything make sense has to be cut for time, but if they didn't cut that stuff and made it fifteen hours long instead of six, it'd be boring.

So overall I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't recommend it to most people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Them aren't meant to behave like real kids. It's the point.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Jedit posted:

Everything in Lower Tadfield aren't meant to behave like it does. It's the point.

Fixed that for you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stroth posted:

Fixed that for you

It wasn't broken, it was intentionally specific for the sake of clarity.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Gaiman also said in an interview that most of the stuff with Them was Pratchett's, and that Gaiman realizes that because Pratchett wasn't there, they played a smaller part of the story on the movie than they should have.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I liked it overall, but it feels like you could have easily cut some of the Hastur stuff, or the invented for the show Crowley/Aziraphale capper at the end, in order to deliver the Other Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Besides being one of the funniest parts of the book, it would have fleshed out the Horsemen, who were kind of a lot of flat in the series compared to the other characters.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jedit posted:

The Them aren't meant to behave like real kids. It's the point.

ADAM: S'no point in havin' a gang if your friends can't keep up.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I liked it overall, but it feels like you could have easily cut some of the Hastur stuff, or the invented for the show Crowley/Aziraphale capper at the end, in order to deliver the Other Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Besides being one of the funniest parts of the book, it would have fleshed out the Horsemen, who were kind of a lot of flat in the series compared to the other characters.

I actually quite liked the added Crowley/Aziraphale ending, but I agree that I would have loved to see the Other Four Horsemen.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently the show's budget was cut quite close to starting the production. Gaiman said that just days before the read-through of the script they were forced to cut both budget and shooting days so he had to edit the script pretty fast to make the cuts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh I guess voiceovers would be either a cheap patching method or the bits that get cut last in that scenario

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
yo here's how loving stupid I am: I just reread The Lost Continent for easily like the 18th time in 15 years. Only on this most recent reread, at the age of 30, did I realize that in the final page when the creator guy throws the multicolored boomerang into the air and it sticks there, it's meant to be a rainbow.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cicadalek posted:

yo here's how loving stupid I am: I just reread The Lost Continent for easily like the 18th time in 15 years. Only on this most recent reread, at the age of 30, did I realize that in the final page when the creator guy throws the multicolored boomerang into the air and it sticks there, it's meant to be a rainbow.

oh poo poo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno if I've posted in this thread before, but I ended up getting a kindle regifted to me last January and I said gently caress it why don't I go re-read Discworld in publication order, revisit some old favourites and read some of the ones I wasn't interested in as a kid or that I couldn't get my hands on because every book I read before I was 15ish was from Oxfam or the library.

Anyhow, I've been at it at various speeds from voracious to full on page-a-day (Eric) depending on the book and I'm finally up to the cloudy, murky late twenties when I was full on skipping books. Started The Amazing Maurice last week and holy baby jesus this is a kid's book? I was expecting some kind of silly stuff about the pied piper, and basically Gaspode but a cat, and some rat hijinx, and I guess I've gotten a bit of all that (especially Sardines). But it's been on a slippery slope, so slippery I'm not quite sure where it started even, probably that line about how humans couldn't possibly be bad enough to write books about a happy talking rat AND put down rat poison every night.

All I know is, by the point Dangerous Beans was upset at their clan falling apart and Peaches very kindly read to him from the book I was in bits, which I don't usually feel when I read books to be honest. And then in the super goofy, almost slapstick rat poison in the tea scene when suddenly one of the rat catchers admits that he made a Rat King a load of blocks fell into place in my mind about WHO that was and I was like, "ok maybe I'll go to bed an read this later.."

Anyway TL;DR thought book bad, book actually really good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pterry famously commented that you could tell when he was writing a book for children because it was darker.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I dunno if I've posted in this thread before, but I ended up getting a kindle regifted to me last January and I said gently caress it why don't I go re-read Discworld in publication order, revisit some old favourites and read some of the ones I wasn't interested in as a kid or that I couldn't get my hands on because every book I read before I was 15ish was from Oxfam or the library.

Anyhow, I've been at it at various speeds from voracious to full on page-a-day (Eric) depending on the book and I'm finally up to the cloudy, murky late twenties when I was full on skipping books. Started The Amazing Maurice last week and holy baby jesus this is a kid's book? I was expecting some kind of silly stuff about the pied piper, and basically Gaspode but a cat, and some rat hijinx, and I guess I've gotten a bit of all that (especially Sardines). But it's been on a slippery slope, so slippery I'm not quite sure where it started even, probably that line about how humans couldn't possibly be bad enough to write books about a happy talking rat AND put down rat poison every night.

All I know is, by the point Dangerous Beans was upset at their clan falling apart and Peaches very kindly read to him from the book I was in bits, which I don't usually feel when I read books to be honest. And then in the super goofy, almost slapstick rat poison in the tea scene when suddenly one of the rat catchers admits that he made a Rat King a load of blocks fell into place in my mind about WHO that was and I was like, "ok maybe I'll go to bed an read this later.."

Anyway TL;DR thought book bad, book actually really good

Yes, Pratchett's YA stuff is really top shelf. The only thing that distinguishes it from his main stuff is the age of the protagonist. Don't skip the Tiffany Aching series or Nation either.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yes, Pratchett's YA stuff is really top shelf. The only thing that distinguishes it from his main stuff is the age of the protagonist. Don't skip the Tiffany Aching series or Nation either.

He's also less referential and punny in his YA stuff, which isn't really a bad thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The disassociation scene on the beach in Nation is easily one of the most grim things he's ever written

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The disassociation scene on the beach in Nation is easily one of the most grim things he's ever written

His writing in the YA books tend to be a bit more grim than the other books. One of the Tiffany Aching books for example starts with her having to try and stop a lynchmob that wants to kill a father who raped his own daughter for example.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
He had a very high opinion of what children are capable of understanding and enjoying.

You may recall the beginning of Hogfather where Susan basically says outright that the best way to interest a child in reading is to give them something dark or violent enough that most adults would insist that it's far too mature for them, and then just leave them to it.

edit:

quote:

There were lessons later on. These were going a lot better now she’d got rid of the reading books about bouncy balls and dogs called Spot. She’d got Gawain on to the military campaigns of General Tacticus, which were suitably bloodthirsty but, more importantly, considered too difficult for a child. As a result his vocabulary was doubling every week and he could already use words like “disemboweled” in everyday conversation. After all, what was the point of teaching children to be children? They were naturally good at it.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 10, 2019

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

His writing in the YA books tend to be a bit more grim than the other books. One of the Tiffany Aching books for example starts with her having to try and stop a lynchmob that wants to kill a father who raped his own daughter for example.

I don't think he raped his daughter. I think he beat her until she miscarried. I distinctly remember there being a dead baby in that scene. (fake edit: I looked it up. https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Amber_Petty )

That was a HELL of a jarring first chapter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Butler posted:

I don't think he raped his daughter. I think he beat her until she miscarried. I distinctly remember there being a dead baby in that scene. (fake edit: I looked it up. https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Amber_Petty )

That was a HELL of a jarring first chapter.

I misremembered it, but it's still much darker than pretty much all the "main" Discworld books.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 16, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Nation is my favorite Pratchett novel, period, and a large part of it is precisely that it pulls no punches.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I bought Nation recently and hearing all this about it makes me excited to start it, but my book backlog is incredibly long.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arist posted:

I bought Nation recently and hearing all this about it makes me excited to start it, but my book backlog is incredibly long.

Don't get too hyped up or you might be disappointed. Nation is fine, I guess.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Beachcomber posted:

Don't get too hyped up or you might be disappointed. Nation is fine, I guess.

Nation has an amazing start and an okay finish.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Arist posted:

I would park it for a while until you can get out from under the weight of those of us who want to rave about it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Queen saying Tiffany doesn't love her brother and Tiffany almost exactly saying "what's love got to do with it?"
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shoehead posted:

The Queen saying Tiffany doesn't love her brother and Tiffany almost exactly saying "what's love got to do with it?"
:discourse:

"War. Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing." Fred Colon, I think.