Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Easy way to get E die is to buy the Ballistix kits that a AES suffix in the model number (ie. BLS2K16G4D30AESE). Typically they're either DDR4 3200 CL16 for the 2x 8GB kits and DDR4 3000 CL15 for the 2x 16GB kits. Not quite as good as B die for overclocking but it gets close and bang for the buck is awesome.

The memory I got was in a 2x8GB kit which said DDR4 3000 CL15 on the front but actually contained 3200 CL16 memory. Weird, but I'm sure the memory is the same either way and people like bigger numbers better.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yeah getting the fast preset stable isn't easy with the E die. It likes looser timings unless you give it lots more volts. Most of those who seem to be getting it stable at high speeds with low timings seem to be either getting lucky or running real high (1.5+) volts.

Is using voltage that high on DDR4 safe? I'd like to try pushing my memory a bit more. I couldn't get 3600 stable at CL16 or better, but I didn't push the voltage that much. Mine is at 3466 CL16 right now at 1.38v. I would have like CL14, but that didn't work either with whatever settings the DRAM calculator spat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pyrotek posted:

The memory I got was in a 2x8GB kit which said DDR4 3000 CL15 on the front but actually contained 3200 CL16 memory. Weird, but I'm sure the memory is the same either way and people like bigger numbers better.

Is using voltage that high on DDR4 safe? I'd like to try pushing my memory a bit more. I couldn't get 3600 stable at CL16 or better, but I didn't push the voltage that much. Mine is at 3466 CL16 right now at 1.38v. I would have like CL14, but that didn't work either with whatever settings the DRAM calculator spat out.
For Edie, ~1.45V everyday is relatively normal. Most people can hit the timings you want at ~1.42-1.44. It can handle 1.5V safely but it shouldn't be necessary for reasonable timings like 3466 C14.

Edie loves voltage, but it does start to throw off some heat once you get over ~1.45.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 9, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Khorne posted:

There are some issues with voltages on boot right now. And booting in general. Hopefully they get fixed. There might be a way to work around it if you want to scour r/amd on reddit.

Ya I braved Reddit and all I found was other users with the same board / problem.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Palladium posted:

I'm not all that familiar with bleeding edge server platforms, but AMD forcing Intel to give up to 80% list price discounts is :lol:

It’s not as big of a deal as it sounds. No one ever pays list price in the professional space. Everyone negotiates and 10-25% of list price is pretty common once you get into bulk/volume.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

pyrotek posted:

Is using voltage that high on DDR4 safe?

I don't know of any officially given limits but the people who would know all say its 1.5v is 24/7 safe for E die but it --requires-- a fan put on it or some other active cooling if you do that. Personally I wouldn't go much over 1.4v just to be really safe and/or you really want to make sure it lasts for years.

Dunno at all about Samsung's B die but people seem to routinely run it over 1.4v without issue.

GutBomb posted:

It’s not as big of a deal as it sounds. No one ever pays list price in the professional space. Everyone negotiates and 10-25% of list price is pretty common once you get into bulk/volume.

Going from a 10-25% price cut to a <insert much larger amount here> cut is a pretty big deal though and its pretty much a given that at some point Intel is going to have to do that if it wants to keep sales up.

All the OEM's sound pretty gung ho about Rome and it sounds like none of them are really interested in sticking by Intel at this point.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 9, 2019

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Having not used any UEFI/BIOS substantially besides the one on my decade old gigabyte mobo, does anyone have any resources for overclocking my ram (or even finding out how to enable AMP) on an Asus board? I enabled DOCP which seems to use Intel's XMP profiles, but having micron-E die 3600 16-18-18 I feel like I can squish something from these stones :thunk:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Run this (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/) and maybe look at those BZ vids I linked (edit) the previous page if you feel like going for the gold on your RAM OC.

Good luck man

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Denver/Springs goons: Microcenter is showing 10+ 3900Xs in stock. I just picked one up and counted 8 more in the case.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

GutBomb posted:

Going from a 10-25% price cut to a <insert much larger amount here> cut is a pretty big deal though and its pretty much a given that at some point Intel is going to have to do that if it wants to keep sales up.

You're both idiots.

GutBomb, 80% off of list price is in the range of 10-25% of the total list price.

PC LOAD LETTER, a 10-25% price cut is not the same thing as 10-25% of the list price.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Zen2 runs cool as heck. My 3900x idles @ 30c and hits 72c under prime95 small ffts with a mugen 5 rev b (I let it run for 20 minutes, it stayed under 71c for the first 3-5). I did use kryonaut paste and I put way too much because that is probably the most awkward paste I've ever used and I was paranoid about coverage due to chiplet placement. It's like using playdoh for a thermal paste. I had to take off the heatsink and clean up with isopropyl. Thankfully it's not conductive or I'd have had a much larger problem. My ambient right now is 20c and the case is open, but I don't expect thermals to go up if I close the case. I didn't stress GPU too, presumably my temps will be higher with the GPU throwing heat because i have a define r6 and it's kind of wanting in the ventilating GPU category.

Before updating the chipset driver in windows and my bios to ABB it was only boosting to ~4.2 and was idling at 48c-52c. After the update it hits 4.57? or so boost on single core (synthetic, light stuff, probably not real world) and can maintain 3.8-4.2something all core depending on the load. I just set it up so I don't have very concrete numbers.

With just XMP profile I'm getting ~5850 single core ~ 49000 multicore in geekbench4. With 2x16 of bdie at 3200 c14. I need to put a bunch of other stuff into my case and close it up, but after that I'll play with voltage and timings.

Now I need to hunt down what the heck is making an intermittent low pitched noise. It's kind of like a hard drive noise, but i only have an ssd in right now. All of the fans are very secure and new. I felt around and only the fan on the mugen5 feels as if it's vibrating, but placing pressure on it with both hands doesn't seem to do anything. It also only seems to happen as CPU usage goes up. I might tune fan settings to stay low to troubleshoot and see if it is that fan. In geekbench it goes on and off, with prime95 doing small fft it's constant.

The best part of the mugen5 is the screwdriver it came with. That thing saved me. Apparently all phillips heads of my screwdriver set are missing and my good screwdriver is gone too. That thing is really nice for building pcs.

Who else has endless "oh poo poo" moments while building a computer? I dropped a heavy case screw from ~14" above the motherboard into the motherboard. Putting my motherboard in I ended up hitting a fan cable. For some reason my power connector for my CPU doesn't bend well into the socket so the two 4 pin halves look uneven. Putting too much thermal paste was real awkward, I've never done that before I'm usually a little goes a long way type of guy, it was literally running all the way down the IHS. And then due to its consistency trying to remove it resulted it in going all silly putty across my motherboard. Otherwise, I didn't manage to almost ruin everything.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 9, 2019

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My local Microcenter got like 60 of the Ryzen 3900X and I’m literally posting from the store with like 6 other people in line with me. Guess they kind of overproduced possibly now?

eames
May 9, 2009

Khorne posted:

I did use kryonaut paste and I put way too much because that is probably the most awkward paste I've ever used and I was paranoid about coverage due to chiplet placement. It's like using playdoh for a thermal paste.

Kryonaut has QC issues and what you describe sounds like an old batch. It *should* spread reasonably well when new, but I have also encountered a little tube that was dry as playdoh and an absolute nightmare to apply correctly. The problems are pretty well documented on german hardware forums but people keep recommending the paste, mainly due to great marketing on social media.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Measly Twerp posted:

GutBomb, 80% off of list price is in the range of 10-25% of the total list price.

Yes that's what I was saying... That 80% off the list price is a commonly negotiated endpoint when buying parts in bulk / software in volume.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GutBomb posted:

Yes that's what I was saying... That 80% off the list price is a commonly negotiated endpoint when buying parts in bulk / software in volume.

What he's saying is that the current list price is already that, so once you go to AMD and negotiate your bulk deal it's even lower. 80% off Intel's price is way higher than 80% off AMD's.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Lame benchmarks:

userbenchmark I haven't played with memory timings beyond enabling xmp, meaning lots of people have expensive bdie kits and don't enable xmp. Not sure why that ex920 is scoring high as I haven't used it yet. I forgot to bring over my afterburner settings for the GPU which would be another ~+200MHz for RAM and ~60MHz boost clocks.

userbenchmark w/ RAM OC

GeekBench v4 updated bios+chipset drivers vs launch chipset drivers+bios. Both with XMP and no settings changes.
Above run vs 3466 RAM OC with tweaked subtimings

No idea if that RAM oc is stable.

eames posted:

Kryonaut has QC issues and what you describe sounds like an old batch. It *should* spread reasonably well when new, but I have also encountered a little tube that was dry as playdoh and an absolute nightmare to apply correctly. The problems are pretty well documented on german hardware forums but people keep recommending the paste, mainly due to great marketing on social media.
It wasn't quite that dry. I don't think it was defective, but it was a year old batch. It's working very well so ultimately I can't complain.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 10, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Khorne posted:

Zen2 runs cool as heck. My 3900x idles @ 30c and hits 72c under prime95 small ffts with a mugen 5 rev b (I let it run for 20 minutes, it stayed under 71c for the first 3-5). I did use kryonaut paste and I put way too much because that is probably the most awkward paste I've ever used and I was paranoid about coverage due to chiplet placement. It's like using playdoh for a thermal paste.

They're good coolers.
Kryonaut is best when it's warm, hot even. I put the tube in a Ziploc of hot water for a few minutes.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

necrobobsledder posted:

My local Microcenter got like 60 of the Ryzen 3900X and I’m literally posting from the store with like 6 other people in line with me. Guess they kind of overproduced possibly now?

Denver still claims to have 10+ in stock as well. It'd be amazing if they actually become generally available or some other crazy thing like that. I'm not gonna count that particular chicken just yet though.

On a mildly interesting note, the 3900X I picked up a month ago had the box outer box slogan "Built to Perform. Designed to Win." on all 4 sides of the inner box sleeve, in 8 languages. The one I got today has nothing on the inner sleeve; it's just blank silver/gray.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Linus Torvalds has some thoughts on Ryzen 3000 and Rome.

https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=186584&curpostid=186630

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm think I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 2200G, but I have a question about the motherboard: if I'm not going to do manual overclocking, but I am planning on upgrading to a 3400G at a later time, and I'm going to be using better cooling than the stock cooler, am I losing out on whatever automatic improved clocks are available on this or later CPUs by using an A320?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You aren’t going to put anything newer than a 3400G into an A320 so that point is moot. AMD will eventually make a new A series board for whatever replaces it in the product stack someday.

The APUs have stock boost clocks but don’t do any auto OC shenanigans that automatically clock up to use any available thermal headroom of your cooler. You shouldn’t do that on an A-series board. Even with a B-series board, the APU OC experience is likely to be a Software OC using Ryzen Master, balancing the performance of Graphics/Processor and very likely NOT OCing both at the same time.

Basically both the APUs and the A series board are great for power efficient computers that do things that are fine to do under stock clocks. If you go down the road, don’t take this “it’s free real estate” track on overclocking because you ain’t getting much.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'd say go for the B-series boards (especially a B450) because going A-series doesn't save you much and B-series gives you a much better upgrade path in case you want to drop in something better in the future.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Just pulled the trigger on an MSI x570-A PRO mobo and a 3900x. What's the scoop on the latest versions of the BIOSes and chipset drivers and whatever else? Do I want to leave it with whatever comes in the box, or always update to the newest version? For what it's worth, I want to leave all the settings stock, just turn on precision boost and keep it cool and leave it alone, not going to be futzing with a bunch of manual OCing and whatnot.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Azuren posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an MSI x570-A PRO mobo and a 3900x. What's the scoop on the latest versions of the BIOSes and chipset drivers and whatever else? Do I want to leave it with whatever comes in the box, or always update to the newest version? For what it's worth, I want to leave all the settings stock, just turn on precision boost and keep it cool and leave it alone, not going to be futzing with a bunch of manual OCing and whatnot.

Update to the newest versions, there's basically no reason to OC these anyways so that's the way to go.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks for your help guys.

Ended up buying a Gigabyte Aorus Master, 3600 and F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR - should be here in a few days. It was the only 32gb of B-die kit the shop I bought from had in stock.

Because of the full refund on my old system, they’re paying me $3 to upgrade from an X99 Strix / 6800k and 32gb of Corsair 3200 that only ever ran at 2133 so I’m expecting about a 25% performance bump in general.

Got the lower end CPU for now and will probably upgrade cpu and graphics card ( currently have a 1080) with whatever comes out next year. Was planning to do a full new build then anyway but no need now.

Tweaking is just playing with infinity fabric and tighter memory timings on these systems ?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I got a blue screen and had to reset my BIOS yesterday when setting RAM back up after enabling TRY IT! again I checked everything in Windows and realized it was running my RAM at 1.45v

I switched to the XMP profile and now my RAM is running at 1.3v with the same timing. My CPU idle temp dropped from 60c to 35c. (It was running at 60c after using TRY IT again). I didn't think my RAM voltage could effect my CPU that much, I assume it's just the waste heat from 4 sticks of RAM being absolutely tortured.

If anyone else is running hot check your RAM voltage.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Renoir-APU-Linux

First hints at "Renoir" APUs based on intial Linux drivers seem to indicate that rather than being Zen 2/Navi..... they're Raven Ridge/Vega. :suicide:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

First hints at "Renoir" APUs based on intial Linux drivers seem to indicate that rather than being Zen 2/Navi..... they're Raven Ridge/Vega. :suicide:

well Adored's leaks were only preliminary designs and furthermore

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Glad I waited for Rome, it suits my use case far better.

Bye Skylake, you'll be a good 4k media streaming box.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Khorne posted:

I did use kryonaut paste and I put way too much because that is probably the most awkward paste I've ever used and I was paranoid about coverage due to chiplet placement. It's like using playdoh for a thermal paste. I had to take off the heatsink and clean up with isopropyl. Thankfully it's not conductive or I'd have had a much larger problem.

I always wondered about Thermal Grizzly's stuff, because I was supposed to order a tube of Kryonaut for my current build. I wound up using the stuff Noctua throws in with its heatsinks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's wicked disappointing. I really wanted to have a Zen 2 + Navi APU. That would have been fun as heck for some SFF builds.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Crunchy Black posted:

Glad I waited for Rome, it suits my use case far better.

Bye Skylake, you'll be a good 4k media streaming box.

at least until streaming hevc/vp9 is a thing. or you want 4k output. skylake's media core is not great either.

i am not being ironic when i say that gemini lake is intel's best htpc type thing. It at least has Intel's icelake hdmi 2.0 backported. afaik they don't have anything more advanced on the market, except for narrow releases of ice lake.

edit: and also that gemini lake has been significantly choked by their lack of 14nm capacity

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 11, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Streaming VP9 is already a thing on YouTube.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I've switched to Cooler Master Master Gel Maker Nano (What a dumb loving name) over Kryonaut these days. It's within 1-2 C in every bench and seems to degrade wayyyyy less over time, and I hate re-pasting. Plus it takes pretty well to the lentil-and-push spreading method even at room temp.

I'm waiting for a EATX option I like, then jumping in; I want big passive cooling on that chipset, worried the pissant fan kind will go out. Curious if Aorus X570 Xtreme owners can report on whether they have cooling pointed at it or not and how hot it gets.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lambert posted:

Streaming VP9 is already a thing on YouTube.
Speaking of which, do any of the latest GPUs do AV1 hardware decoding yet? Youtube has an experimental option for content in that format.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Speaking of which, do any of the latest GPUs do AV1 hardware decoding yet? Youtube has an experimental option for content in that format.

Nah. Whatever Nvidia does on 7nm has a decent chance of bringing it to the table, but you won't see consumer products on the shelf with AV1 until next year.
Mobile SOC things maybe for xmas :shrug:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 12, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Zen2 is nuts in linux. I'm seeing ~10%-18% better multicore performance depending on the task. Some single core stuff is up to 8% faster as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 12, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Faster than what?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

How have people been setting their sys fan curves (and CPU fan curve) with the 3rd gen Ryzens? Smart fan control usually defaults to CPU temperature, but because the Ryzen runs hot and changes temperature frequently, my formerly quiet machine sounds like it's going to take off.

Should I just change sys fans to work off ambient internal temperatures? My 3600 tends to run between 40 at idle and 70 under load so if that range isn't doing it any harm I'd rather go with something that stays relatively quiet.

eames
May 9, 2009

Decent boards have fan control with hysteresis options (often called spin up/spin down time, in seconds) to avoid this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah, I've got settings for that so I'll have a tinker. With smart fan control off my internal system temperature is always around 30 so I'm now wondering if I need it at all.