Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

all the people that watched wwe watch new japan now which is why every okay or fun match gets nominated for MOTY now

Actually it is because those matches are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
The matches are great but I do think that people are giving out MOTYC really easily during the g1, imo. Like the matches are really good but I don't think a lot of them are MOTY worthy. I didn't start nominating at the beginning so I didn't bother doing my own but my list of motyc would have been smaller than a bunch of other peoples I think.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

DuhSal posted:

The matches are great but I do think that people are giving out MOTYC really easily during the g1, imo. Like the matches are really good but I don't think a lot of them are MOTY worthy. I didn't start nominating at the beginning so I didn't bother doing my own but my list of motyc would have been smaller than a bunch of other peoples I think.

There are like a dozen or more G1 matches that would have been an absolute lock for Observer moty 7-8 years ago. This thread is mostly legit, imo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
It gets so crowded specifically because the two greatest wrestlers Ishii and Yano each have 3 MOTYC a week during the g1

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
People have always graded matches in the Best Of threads with absurd scales. Even tho the G1 matches probably are all amazing, I remember years when the most generic, average WWE match was getting MOTYC votes and ended up with like 3 stars in the observer. Same with WMOTY, or HM. Lots of people have four modes, "Worst match of the year" "Completely indifferent/average" "Above average and HM" and "MOTYC"

If most of y'all would look at the last thread and looked up what you considered MOTYC how many of those matches would you feel still stand up and how many did you forget even happened :v:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hell that happened this year Multiple moty nominees and Meltz gave three stars

To blue Demon jr v dr Wagner jr

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I enjoyed limiting myself to one MOTYC nomination per night. It made me really think about what I liked most about matches.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

I enjoyed limiting myself to one MOTYC nomination per night. It made me really think about what I liked most about matches.

Yeah, that's a rule I adopted for this G1 and it's definitely made me have to pick one instead of saying "these three matches are all MOTYCs"

Though I still broke it to nominate Ishii/Shingo even though I liked it slightly less than Juice/White

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If somebody thinks a match is utterly fantastic and worthy of MOTYC status, they should nominate it. Doesn't matter how many other matches they've seen or how many matches might come along later, hell that's what end of year awards/voting is for: to take all the great matches that people loved this year and actually figure out which one really was the absolute best match of the year. I'm not gonna get upset that a ton of matches are blowing people away, that's a good thing!

Anyways:

HM: Brock Lesnar (C) vs. Seth Rollins for the Universal Championship - WWE Summerslam 8/11

I went into this match expecting indifference at best and a lovely match at worse, and instead I was extremely pleasantly surprised by a straightforward, well-worked match with a clean ending and a cool visual of the monster Lesnar crawling away in utter defeat, it was cool.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

Hell that happened this year Multiple moty nominees and Meltz gave three stars

To blue Demon jr v dr Wagner jr

there was nothing to that match outside tons of juice and a cool entrance

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just stop thinking of it as actual moty nominations and more like "watch this" and "avoid this".

And then I guess "loving watch this" and "my god please avoid this".

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol all of ishii's g1 matches got moty nominations, thats a first

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Please buy my new ebook

Superfluous: Inside the unconscionable and skewed voting system for wrestling matches on the dead comedy forum

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the matches are good but njpw's gotten incredibly formulaic and a lot of the big ones feel laid out exactly the same to me, which is why i started falling off of njpw around the omega/okada feud. guys having fun matches that i wont remember in a couple months like all of yano's slapstick comedy are good in the moment but will blend together in a couple months. but hey if people are enjoying stuff too thats fine, i just havent actually enjoyed much wrestling in the last couple years so most of that is on me

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Just stop thinking of it as actual moty nominations and more like "watch this" and "avoid this".

And then I guess "loving watch this" and "my god please avoid this".

I feel like WMOTY is like a "hey wanna see a trainwreck" sort of "watch this" unless people are outright stating to not even bother

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HM: Tomohiro Ishii, KENTA, YOSHI-HASHI vs Guerillas of Destiny and Fale, NJPW G1 Final
History was made during and after this match

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
HM: Yota Tsuji and Ren Narita vs Clark Connors and Karl Fredericks, G1 Climax Finals, 8/12/19

must watch if you're even marginally interested in the young lions. big strong boys beating the poo poo out of each other and the LA Dojo guys do great heel work. also has the filthiest spear of the year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

HM: Yota Tsuji and Ren Narita vs Clark Connors and Karl Fredericks, G1 Climax Finals, 8/12/19

must watch if you're even marginally interested in the young lions. big strong boys beating the poo poo out of each other and the LA Dojo guys do great heel work. also has the filthiest spear of the year

Edge could learn to spear from these lads

2nd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

HM: Tomohiro Ishii, KENTA, YOSHI-HASHI vs Guerillas of Destiny and Fale, NJPW G1 Final
History was made during and after this match

I'm not gonna second the match but I will plead with people to try and watch it and the aftermath without spoilers.

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW G1 Climax Final - 08/12

All four of these guys are at the top of their game and this was a great, great match to showcase that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 12, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not gonna second the match but I will plead with people to try and watch it and the aftermath without spoilers.

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr - NJPW G1 Climax Final - 08/12

All four of these guys are at the top of their game and this was a great, great match to showcase that.

2nd

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MOTYC: Okada and Tanahashi/Suzuki and ZSJ, G1 8/12

Just a phenomenal match with a beautiful ending

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

NienNunb posted:

I had somehow forgotten when this entire forum got brain worms and nominated Naito/Ibushi for WMOTY because it had a cool spot where nobody actually got hurt.

it was dumb and bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kota Ibushi vs. Switchblade Jay White - NJPW G1 Climax Final - 08/12

Took waaaaay too long to really get going after all the pre-match nonsense (fun nonsense) but by the last few minutes it had gotten great and had an excellent ending.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC Kota Ibushi vs Jay White G1 29 Finals Aug 12

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MOTYC: kota vs white

My heart is about to explode from joy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Took waaaaay too long to really get going after all the pre-match nonsense (fun nonsense) but by the last few minutes it had gotten great and had an excellent ending.
agreed. It’s the kind of match that would be a MOTYC probably any other G1 but this year’s been stupid good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ahyessir

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

i actually really liked the early bullshit and the last 6(?) minutes but the middle was just "good match"

I Before E posted:

MOTYC: Okada and Tanahashi/Suzuki and ZSJ, G1 8/12

Just a phenomenal match with a beautiful ending

enth

jesus WEP posted:

but only if you include the postmatch, wrestling isn't (just) wrestling

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth it made me extremely happy

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I love me a good Jay White Control Match and even if this one did feel weirdly paced I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't top the last 2 years' finals but it didn't need to because that's not what they were aiming to do with this one. Kota Ibushi is a perfect beautiful man and I wish only the best for him and his neck. Nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New Japan increased their MOTY nominations from 34 for the year so far to an extra 35 for the G1 Climax alone :stare:

Which also makes their current MOTY total 69 :c00l:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

New Japan increased their MOTY nominations from 34 for the year so far to an extra 35 for the G1 Climax alone :stare:

Wrestling is good, friends

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

9 of those 35 were from Ishii too.

Ishii has 14 MOTYCs this year. Ishii has almost as many MOTYCs to his name as WWE/NXT as a combined unit do :aaa:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Even if there is no God or Buddha, there is Tomohiro Ishii

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I Before E posted:

Even if there is no God or Buddha, there is Tomohiro Ishii

Luckily unlike past generations we have explicit proof that God is real and his name is Kazuchika Okada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HM: Seth Rollins vs Brock Lesnar, WWE Summerslam
This was good. Idk if I can be bothered watching anything else from the show but this match was good.