Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

did wotc not realize (something like) this was a very likely outcome of printing MH?

Ask forgiveness not permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
something like this was a likely outcome, given how much they pushed into that set odds are good that one thing would be a little too strong in the environment.

which is fine, it's probably still worth printing even if it results in some bans shortly thereafter. what's not fine is being unwilling to actually ban anything, and letting the format continue to be poo poo for multiple ban cycles.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, I think for all the problems Hogaak is causing in Modern, he allows for some interesting EDH and Legacy deck interactions.

I prefer for them to swing a little too hard for the fences.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather have really cool and potentially busted cards that can get banned than cautious, boring ones that just make people say "but I'd rather just be playing X..."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

did wotc not realize (something like) this was a very likely outcome of printing MH?

yes how dare they print cards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

I think the problem is, they banned Bridge.

They missed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lone Goat posted:

yes how dare they print cards

Iirc they didn't want the set to be too disruptive. Also what Sheep posted. If they print something busted they're responsible for dealing with it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
horizons was kind of poorly designed because 99% of the cards were super fair. midrange and control got lots of cool new toys, none of which improved their bad machups in the slightest. wrenn and six, icefang coatl, etc. etc. do nothing against graveyard decks or big mana decks. they designed the cards based on what they'd like modern to look like and completely ignored reality

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Framboise posted:

I'd rather have really cool and potentially busted cards that can get banned than cautious, boring ones that just make people say "but I'd rather just be playing X..."

I feel like these are the words of someone who didn't play during Urza block

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

or Kaladesh block

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
you're correct, I did not

but a lot of the cards from then are indeed super cool and I'm glad they exist

like I'm not saying that standard cards need to be at that level of broken but I enjoy it when they make really strong cards that toe the line of busted

on the other hand I don't play standard anymore, and those same cards are somewhat less busted in EDH where your odds of hitting it are 1/100 and not 4/60. :shrug:

E: I did play during Kaladesh block, up until Reflector Mage got banned and it wasn't as fun to play.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jabor posted:

something like this was a likely outcome, given how much they pushed into that set odds are good that one thing would be a little too strong in the environment.

which is fine, it's probably still worth printing even if it results in some bans shortly thereafter. what's not fine is being unwilling to actually ban anything, and letting the format continue to be poo poo for multiple ban cycles.

Except that's not what happened. Bridge got banned in the last announcement, because that version of Hogaak was exceptionally oppressive since it really had two lines of play (creature damage and milling) and was very possibly even worse than the version we're playing now. The next ban announcement is happening in a few weeks (26 August) and I don't think anyone is expecting Hogaak to survive this announcement. If it doesn't get banned at that point, then we're into a pretty bad graveyard winter scenario.

Was their an expectation that the card would be banned before it started actually posting results? That's the kind of scenario that brings out dumb things like the ferocidon ban.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rkajdi posted:

Except that's not what happened. Bridge got banned in the last announcement, because that version of Hogaak was exceptionally oppressive since it really had two lines of play (creature damage and milling) and was very possibly even worse than the version we're playing now. The next ban announcement is happening in a few weeks (26 August) and I don't think anyone is expecting Hogaak to survive this announcement. If it doesn't get banned at that point, then we're into a pretty bad graveyard winter scenario.

Was their an expectation that the card would be banned before it started actually posting results? That's the kind of scenario that brings out dumb things like the ferocidon ban.

the problem was that a lot of people, some of them in this very thread, knew and said before and immediately after the bridge ban that it wouldn’t be enough. bridge did nothing worth talking about in Modern for the entire history of the format, it was very clearly not the problem card

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the problem was that a lot of people, some of them in this very thread, knew and said before and immediately after the bridge ban that it wouldn’t be enough. bridge did nothing worth talking about in Modern for the entire history of the format, it was very clearly not the problem card

Bridge not being the only problem doesnt mean it wasnt a problem.

They should have hit bridge and another card together rather than spacing them out like this.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnEdgelord posted:

Bridge not being the only problem doesnt mean it wasnt a problem.

They should have hit bridge and another card together rather than spacing them out like this.

Agreed. But the idea wotc should be banning things based on the braying of forum users before the deck even posts results would just result in basically everything worthwhile getting banned. You have to base this stuff on results, not what randos here or on Reddit want.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
here's a thought: maybe they could actually build the obvious deck themselves and see how it plays out internally, when deciding whether a proposed ban is sufficient to tone down the ridonkulously best deck or if more cards need to be banned

literally anybody who played with hogaak could see that yeah, this deck is still busted good even without bridge

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The other clear issue with modern horizons is that the cards are too dang expensive. Them printing powerful cards but not being willing to react accordingly is another, but like others have said, I’d rather they push cards super hard than not.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's complete loving bullshit that Wrenn and Six is $90 while is a box is barely over 200.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

It's complete loving bullshit that Wrenn and Six is $90 while is a box is barely over 200.

As my one buddy noted, jund getting yet another super expensive card is basically on theme for them. Wren is playable in every format it's legal in, so of course it's expensive. It's legacy good, not just modern good.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I really want a RG walkers deck with Koth and Wrenn. :<

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

little munchkin posted:

horizons was kind of poorly designed because 99% of the cards were super fair. midrange and control got lots of cool new toys, none of which improved their bad machups in the slightest. wrenn and six, icefang coatl, etc. etc. do nothing against graveyard decks or big mana decks. they designed the cards based on what they'd like modern to look like and completely ignored reality

uh i get what you're saying but wrenn and six seems like a poor example since it allows for recurring ghost quarters against tron

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

A big flaming stink posted:

uh i get what you're saying but wrenn and six seems like a poor example since it allows for recurring ghost quarters against tron
*James Woods "Ooo, piece of candy" bit from Family Guy except it's "Ooo, Lightning Helix"*

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

This is not a good idea though. Sounds nice in theory but Jund is too mana hungry for ghost quarter, I think.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Urza block had a lot of cool cards and designs and Magic would be lesser for its absence.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ZeroCount posted:

Urza block had a lot of cool cards and designs and Magic would be lesser for its absence.

:hmmyes:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

A less broken but still powerful Urza block removing the broken stuff and replacing it with appropriate cards sounds fun.

Edit
Yeah that was worse then I remembered. Nevermind.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 12, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Need the old cardface back, otherwise it's like someone trying to dress up like your dead best friend to cheer you up.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

xanthan posted:

A less broken but still powerful Urza block removing the broken stuff and replacing it with appropriate cards sounds fun.

these words don't mean anything

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ZeroCount posted:

Urza block was so miserable that Maro and his whole team were pulled into an office an told they'd all be fired if they pulled any poo poo like that again

Lone Goat posted:

these words don't mean anything

Seriously, I'm dying to know what design elements that poster thinks were good, but just needed timing down. "Free" spells are inherently broken, at least 2 of the land cycle were broken, etc

I just looked at the list of mechanics in the block, Cycling was the only good one that was also balanced

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 12, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo on this Amonkhet-Singleton event I've played that mono Blue "Persistent Petitioners" deck and it's great because I'm playing mono black with graveyard recursion so I'm doing pretty well against it.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 12, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Seriously, I'm dying to know what design elements that poster thinks were good, but just needed timing down. "Free" spells are inherently broken, at least 2 of the land cycle were broken, etc

I just looked at the list of mechanics in the block, Cycling was the only good one that was also balanced

Maybe they really love *checks scryfall*... Verse counters?????

Also while Cycling was balanced, they still managed to gently caress that up by printing Fluctuator!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Urza block was so miserable that Maro and his whole team were pulled into an office an told they'd all be fired if they pulled any poo poo like that again

What you're saying here and what they said are both true, is the thing. There were several egregious mistake cards in Urza block, out of hundreds of cards, which is obviously still several more than acceptable and is why they were called on the carpet, but once they banned all the horrible combos there was still a Standard (Type 2) format that was quite playable for another year and a half or so until it rotated out.

Like, I could still to this day, off the top of my head, name you several distinctive Type 2 decks based on Urza block cards from the period after the dust had settled from all the bannings. I'm struggling to think of what the decks derived from Kaladesh block were after the energy cards were banned. There was a red deck with that courier dude I guess???

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lawnie posted:

This is not a good idea though. Sounds nice in theory but Jund is too mana hungry for ghost quarter, I think.

It works, better than playing Barren Moor. Mengucci in his latest article about Italian MCQs gives a Jund list that made top 8 playing 2 Field of Ruin, now that is greedy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JerryLee posted:

What you're saying here and what they said are both true, is the thing. There were several egregious mistake cards in Urza block, out of hundreds of cards, which is obviously still several more than acceptable and is why they were called on the carpet, but once they banned all the horrible combos there was still a Standard (Type 2) format that was quite playable for another year and a half or so until it rotated out.

Like, I could still to this day, off the top of my head, name you several distinctive Type 2 decks based on Urza block cards from the period after the dust had settled from all the bannings. I'm struggling to think of what the decks derived from Kaladesh block were after the energy cards were banned. There was a red deck with that courier dude I guess???

My hot take is that Kaladesh with a few cards banned is no big deal, and Marvel really isn't that big a deal when you can't get Emrakul with it. It's why not including it in Historic was pretty disappointing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh hey, they took black out of Jund, replaced it with burn and made that deck more or less that I want Wrenn for.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22727&d=355178&f=MO

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rkajdi posted:

I mean bridge was what made the deck splashy and unfair. Bridgegaak was absolutely more powerful, because it was doing exactly what it does now except it didn't need combat to win, and had an even stronger B plan.

I can understand them only hitting the combo part and hoping the rest wasn't obscene. Turns out it still is, but oh well. I'd care more if I was living off of tournament winnings.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lawnie posted:

It is in fact not a winning idea. You put their forests into play while you never advance your mana base and eventually they just wurmcoil or Karn you and then you lose after doing nothing of value for a few turns.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

it's actually a really good example because post-horizons the best gameplan jund has against tron is still "put a single ghost quarter in your sideboard and hope to get lucky"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

It is in fact not a winning idea. You put their forests into play while you never advance your mana base and eventually they just wurmcoil or Karn you and then you lose after doing nothing of value for a few turns.

Been there, about 500 times it seems like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Panzeh posted:

My hot take is that Kaladesh with a few cards banned is no big deal, and Marvel really isn't that big a deal when you can't get Emrakul with it. It's why not including it in Historic was pretty disappointing.

Emrakul was gone in the first round of bannings that standard and the Marvel deck got even better.

the super linear "just marvel for a big eldrazi" plan got stomped, so they rebuilt as a value creature deck that occasionally just dropped an ulamog on your opponent. It was much more consistent and oppressive to play against.