Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

a lot of job interviewing is about testing your ability to follow dumb unspoken rules of corporate culture, and there are good reasons for that

prep harder next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my first “real job” was boring reporting in a hedge fund’s back office. i have never been particularly interested in finance, even potentially sexy quant or hft stuff. i wanted the job because i needed to make rent. but when i got asked why i wanted to work in finance, i didn’t lie - i said “i hadn’t really considered finance before moving here, but i think this would be a really good opportunity to learn about a lot of complex systems that impact my life really directly yet i am completely ignorant of. which was completely true but didn’t require me to be in love with the job i was applying for.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

city-based jobsites as I was going hard for the Denver area

Not looking again for a while but what sites did you use? Wife and I definitely like the Denver area.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

School of How posted:

What if they followed up with "I see, but why are you excited about working at this specific node.js company over any other node.js company?"

There aren't that many node.js opportunities in this city. I may have mentioned something about how that was unique for here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KidDynamite posted:

Not looking again for a while but what sites did you use? Wife and I definitely like the Denver area.

most of my hits as denver area goes came from https://www.builtincolorado.com/

lot of chaff to sift through but it did find the most wheat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
E: :wrong: thread

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Achmed Jones posted:

one time I told a person that I liked hiking and she asked me what my favorite trail was. that day still haunts me

There is a fundamental difference between true excitement, and fake excitement. By definition, not every job on planet earth is a job worth being excited over. If you are actually excited about hiking, it should be really easy to explain your favorite trail. Just like if Google asked me to explain why I;m excited about working at Google, I'd have no problem going on and on about it because it's not fake. Some random no-name lovely startup thats not achieved anything, not so much.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

barkbell posted:

There aren't that many node.js opportunities in this city. I may have mentioned something about how that was unique for here.

Hmm, sorry but that's a hard sell

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

raminasi posted:

my first “real job” was boring reporting in a hedge fund’s back office. i have never been particularly interested in finance, even potentially sexy quant or hft stuff. i wanted the job because i needed to make rent. but when i got asked why i wanted to work in finance, i didn’t lie - i said “i hadn’t really considered finance before moving here, but i think this would be a really good opportunity to learn about a lot of complex systems that impact my life really directly yet i am completely ignorant of. which was completely true but didn’t require me to be in love with the job i was applying for.

I was never even asked this question for the first 5 or 6 years after I graduated college. Companies didn't ask me, because they probably didn't care. They needed programmer talent, and they knew I had that talent, and nothing else mattered. Only since 2012 or so has this question became more and more common.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey NotoriousBSD I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds. But not for your reason, still thought you would appreciate it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
dammit how!!! go back to the gray thread and stop making GBS threads up this one

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

School of How posted:

There is a fundamental difference between true excitement, and fake excitement. By definition, not every job on planet earth is a job worth being excited over. If you are actually excited about hiking, it should be really easy to explain your favorite trail. Just like if Google asked me to explain why I;m excited about working at Google, I'd have no problem going on and on about it because it's not fake. Some random no-name lovely startup thats not achieved anything, not so much.
friend, you sound insufferable and i dont think i would want to work with you

work sucks, get over yourself

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

School of How posted:

Hmm, sorry but that's a hard sell

welcome to nebraska

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

barkbell posted:

welcome to nebraska

had you considered not living in nebraska

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

had you considered not living in nebraska

i've done it before and would like to do it again

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Menacer posted:

friend, you sound insufferable and i dont think i would want to work with you

work sucks, get over yourself

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Blinkz0rz posted:

dammit how!!! go back to the gray thread and stop making GBS threads up this one

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

barkbell posted:

i've done it before and would like to do it again

As the coasts get hotter and more ecologically hosed up, I legit think tech people are going to start looking at smaller midwestern cities like Omaha and Des Moines - DM in particular is growing pretty quickly yet doing a very good job of keeping things walkable/sustainable. Would love to see them start investing in light rail though. And high speed rail to connect to Omaha and Minneapolis.... a man can dream.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

pathetic little tramp posted:

As the coasts get hotter and more ecologically hosed up, I legit think tech people are going to start looking at smaller midwestern cities like Omaha and Des Moines - DM in particular is growing pretty quickly yet doing a very good job of keeping things walkable/sustainable. Would love to see them start investing in light rail though. And high speed rail to connect to Omaha and Minneapolis.... a man can dream.

hahah no way dude Omaha and Minneapolis are already 100% uninhabitable for like 3 months every summer. The state bird of Minnesota is the mosquito, if you try to go outside in July you will bleed to death in ~60 minutes.

there is no way either of those swampy hellholes gets any better with climate change

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bofa dees moines

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

omaha and des moines are both inside the new american dust bowl. temperatures are rising, the "rain line" is moving north and east, and the ogallala aquifer, which provides virtually all the non-precipitation water, is depleting faster than anticipated

in a nutshell, agriculture will become impossible in iowa and nebraska inside our lifetimes

sure i guess after the major industries literally dry up and blow away, and summer temperatures are over 100F, and dust storms are common, then omaha and des moines will be hot tech tickets

who doesn't love living in a wind-scoured desert with no local economy to speak of

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KidDynamite posted:

Hey NotoriousBSD I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds. But not for your reason, still thought you would appreciate it.

you didn't buy them to wear to work?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just got off the phone with my dad who mentioned that he has a friend looking for computer touching work and was getting discouraged by the bullshit interview grind. his friend is 50 and looking for IC work in the east bay. my answer was basically "hoo boy." i can't imagine what it's like to have been a professional software developer for decades, having to get a new job because your company went under or whatever, and getting repeatedly bounced by 24-year-olds who didn't think you whiteboarded a queue using only stacks or whatever well enough (but it has nothing to do with your age, honest!!!)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

nah, neither of those

Denver is already halfway there. might as well overreact and get as far above sea level as possible

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Have a backup plan, even if you're really at your job nobody is going to hire you as a developer past 40 or so.

The look of disappointment and shock when you first jump on a video call for an interview with some 24 year old is real. It gets so loving tiresome after a few months.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Captain Foo posted:

bofa dees moines

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

Have a backup plan, even if you're really at your job nobody is going to hire you as a developer past 40 or so.

The look of disappointment and shock when you first jump on a video call for an interview with some 24 year old is real. It gets so loving tiresome after a few months.

Yeah, ageism is supposed to not be a thing, but seriously that is why I am working very hard at saving enough that I can maybe just go back to operating a crane from 40 to 50 and retire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

hahah no way dude Omaha and Minneapolis are already 100% uninhabitable for like 3 months every summer. The state bird of Minnesota is the mosquito, if you try to go outside in July you will bleed to death in ~60 minutes.

there is no way either of those swampy hellholes gets any better with climate change

mosquittoes are only a problem if you're on a lake and it does not get hotter than the valley

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

minnesota is only uninhabitable in the summer to minnesotans, it is seriously not that bad

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pryor on Fire posted:

every place south of Minneapolis is worse for those same three months so IDK what you're getting at?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Minneapolis is uninhabitable for 3 months of the year but it is not those three months

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

I was in mpls for a conference in early October and it was still oppressively muggy and hot
don't fool yourselves with this "three month" nonsense

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean, sucks to be you, but I don't think this true in general at all.

(Granted a) I work in embedded and b) I'm not in Silicon Valley)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

raminasi posted:

if you actually cannot think of a single reason you could potentially be interested in the work then you’re going to have a bad time even if they hire you. like if your entire train of thought is “ugh, it’s not like they’re google” then a busted process may not be the main problem here.

It really isn't. Check out the last couple of pages of the Oldie Programmers thread in the CoC.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

aeflux posted:

I was in mpls for a conference in early October and it was still oppressively muggy and hot
don't fool yourselves with this "three month" nonsense

the whole Midwest is like that hth

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Growing up there, I don't feel it as that bad - but after living in California for 5 years, I can see how people feel that way. To me, the midwest is really only unbearable for about 2 weeks in August.

However, after having lived in Florida for a year, I'm done forever complaining about humidity. This place is not going to be fit for human habitation in ten years, the wet bulb temp is going to be reaching 50c for months at a time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

the whole Midwest is like that hth

everywhere east of the dry line is like that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

buy your Allen Edmonds while you can because as a company they are beyond hosed

also why are you arguing Des Moines for climate change refuge? when we’re really hosed climate-wise, fresh water will be where everyone heads, meaning the Great Lakes. Green Bay, MKE, Chicago, Cleveland, those will be the places

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 12, 2019

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
maybe not Cleveland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol I left Gary Indiana out for a reason