Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Whalley posted:

Yeah like I loved Bloodborne, but my favorite thing in games is to make weird builds and play strange and in Bloodborne, you've got like... ten weapons? maybe a bit more? And they're all really good, but on a personal taste level I like picking either the weirdest weapon or the least used, and in Bloodborne that's not really possible. Bloodborne is by all accounts the better game - unless you put a stupid high value on making a custom player experience, which I do.

Heh, you're right, this game does have more variety in that regard (and more content even not counting the DLCs), it's just that only 1/3 of weapons/spells/shields are actually usable because weapon balancing isn't too hot either. But this is a very nitpicky thing to say if you enjoy PvE more.

By the way, PvP is also more interesting here than in BB overall if you like that side of the game. Unless you're on PC, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It's really just personal taste. I ain't gunna yuck someone's yum when they say Bloodborne is a better game, because honestly it kinda is. I'm just having more fun with DS3 at the moment than I had with BB, but I won't really know how I feel about both until I've finished this and tried to start a different run.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Whalley posted:

It's really just personal taste. I ain't gunna yuck someone's yum when they say Bloodborne is a better game, because honestly it kinda is. I'm just having more fun with DS3 at the moment than I had with BB, but I won't really know how I feel about both until I've finished this and tried to start a different run.

Thing is all modern From games should be played, and cherished. Even DS2. Maybe even DS2. I don't know.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Thing is all modern From games should be played, and cherished. Even DS2. Maybe even DS2. I don't know.
DS2 rules ok. All modern From games are real fuckin' good. The worst of them (Dark Souls 1 :unsmigghh: ) is still better than most of the games in my collection.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Whalley posted:

The worst of them (Dark Souls 1 :unsmigghh: ) is still better than most of the games in my collection.

wooooo there calm down friend

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The thing is that Bloodborne's weapons are all unique, with only the Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear being almost the same weapon but one for STR and the other for SKL (skill, or Dex for those not familiar with BB). In Dark Souls games you get a bunch of variants with the same moveset of one weapon (like the slongsword) and some of them are straight worse with no reason to use them at all. Of course having loads of weapons is great for fashion souls and DS2 added powerstancing to that mix to boot.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
DS2 has the best amount of ridiculous builds that come online early.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Whalley posted:

DS2 rules ok. All modern From games are real fuckin' good. The worst of them (Dark Souls 1 :unsmigghh: ) is still better than most of the games in my collection.

I'm still waiting for the next Armored Core game. Any day now :shepicide:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm still waiting for the next Armored Core game. Any day now :shepicide:

Metal Wolf Chaos just got a rerelase. :colbert:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I think the lowest point of DS3 is the Nameless King and I'm not surprised it's an optional boss. Yeah I know.

Dumpster fire Phase 1 (that the game forces you to go through every time because reasons), unfair Phase 2. I don't know why fans have been praising this fight, NK is the epitome of everything that's wrong with DS3, aka the "and then we doubled it" game design philosophy. NK second phase is stupidly fast, doesn't ever stop spamming, has incredible recovery even after heavy blows, and most of his moves are ludicrous 360 swings with hitboxes straight out of the late 90's. It is absolutely beatable because most of his stuff has clear tells, but it's boring and stays boring throughout the whole fight.

I swear as soon as I brought him to half hp I thought "ok, now he's going to randomly AoE me with lightning" because it was the cheapest thing he could do and sure enough that's what happened. Do yourself a favor and cheese every hard boss in this game because DS3 has no Gehrman, Lady Maria or Orphan. You know that feeling in BB when you're getting shut down by a boss but you can't stop trying again? Yeah it doesn't happen as often here. I'd say Gundyr, Dragonslayer Armour and Dancer are the only interesting fights I'd save of all the basic game. I hope I'll find more interesting stuff in the DLCs.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

The worst thing about that fight is easily the cloud-rear end floor making it difficult to determine where you are in relation to the boss.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

danbo posted:

The worst thing about that fight is easily the cloud-rear end floor making it difficult to determine where you are in relation to the boss.

Yup, it is really grim in the first phase. They already had the same problem (background with no references points) in 4 Kings so I really wish they had learned a lesson about it.

Second phase isn’t that bad imo. He’s challenging but far from the hardest or least fun boss in the game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

danbo posted:

Yeah losing depth perception sucks. But it sure looks cool. Art design wise the boss is top notch.

skasion posted:

Yup, it is really grim in the first phase. They already had the same problem (background with no references points) in 4 Kings so I really wish they had learned a lesson about it.

Second phase isn’t that bad imo. He’s challenging but far from the hardest or least fun boss in the game.

If it didn't have the first phase I'd agree with you (Pontiff is worse imo), but having to wrestle with the camera -whether you lock on or not- for 2-3 minutes before getting to the real fight really makes it frustrating. Second phase is spammy and hyper-aggressive like most DS3 bosses are with much better tells than Pontiff or even Dancer but the thing is, it feels dialed to 11 just to annoy you. There's no reason to make him hit so hard, getting 2 shot at SL 100+ doesn't make sense. If it killed you in 3 shots it would be the same boss, only slightly less boring, and it wouldn't take as long to beat. His HP pool is also way exaggerated.

I'm glad they won't do other DS games because we were dangerously getting close to DBZ territory. The playerbase got better over time and there's only so much they can do to make the game harder without making it cheaper at the same time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
what on earth does your build look like that nameless king 2 shots you at sl 100+

this is the damage NK did to me back when I fought him on my... I think sl 65? anor londo invader character

I also seriously question the depth perception of people who can't tell how close they are to the dragon just because they're standing on the fog. but maybe this is a personal thing? I don't think I normally ever judge distance by looking at the ground or landmarks, my eyes are focused on the enemy themselves and how far they appear.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kawabata posted:

I think the lowest point of DS3 is the Nameless King and I'm not surprised it's an optional boss. Yeah I know.

Nah, the actual low point of DS3 is the DLCs.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Aren’t you excited that you gave the item from the last boss to a painter and she was like “thanks”????

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ringed city is really good outside of one boss which is a low point of the whole series, which means it stacks up about the same as the dark souls 2 DLCs with their very good main stuff and very bad side zones. it’s worth playing.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Digirat posted:

The ringed city is really good outside of one boss which is a low point of the whole series, which means it stacks up about the same as the dark souls 2 DLCs with their very good main stuff and very bad side zones. it’s worth playing.

I hated the first half of the ringed city the first time through because I like to take a slow, cautious pace through levels and I get lost very easily. All the stuff pushing you to rush through the levels really frustrated me. The second time through, when I already knew where to go, it was a lot more fun, since I could just focus on the execution. I still think it’s not as good as dark souls 2 DLCs, but then again, I think the whole game falls a good bit short of DS2 (still great, though).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

what on earth does your build look like that nameless king 2 shots you at sl 100+
People don't like levelling HP

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The spamming angels and the cursing turtlemonks are the worst part of the Ringed City.

Oh, and the Haralds on the stairs down to the swamp were terrible. One on one, they're a decent fight, but kiting one after another up and down the stairs gets really tedious after a while. The whole thing where you are dead if you anger two of them su-ucks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

But then the Ringed knights are the most fun knights to fight in the entire game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

axolotl farmer posted:

But then the Ringed knights are the most fun knights to fight in the entire game.

I'm not entirely positive, but I'm reasonably certain the Ringed Knights are why I stopped playing that DLC.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Amppelix posted:

People don't like levelling HP

Yep. Because in other, better soulsborne games you could be a glass cannon in your first run and not get stunlocked to death by Spammy McSpammer, aka every enemy in DS3. But hey, after I learned his timing I killed him without getting hit once -other than from some lightning aoe in the 2nd phase-. Meanwhile, anyone can beat NK while watching a tv show on another screen provided they just use a Dragonslayer Shield and get 40 stamina. That's Dark Souls 3 for you!

Anyway, after beating the Twin Princes (another complete dumpster fire of a boss, with the camera loving up every time he tp'ed around) I'm ready to explore the DLCs before finishing my first run.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ringed City is the only time, other than boss runs, where I decided killing stuff was too much trouble and just legged it everywhere.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I actually really enjoyed ringed city despite the angel gauntlet and the giants who summon ghost armies. Ariandel on the other hand is so boring it hurts.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Ariandel might be boring but I like the final boss and hey it's a place to get the big titanites pretty early on in a run, so I can't get too upset.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kawabata posted:

Yep. Because in other, better soulsborne games you could be a glass cannon in your first run and not get stunlocked to death by Spammy McSpammer, aka every enemy in DS3. But hey, after I learned his timing I killed him without getting hit once -other than from some lightning aoe in the 2nd phase-. Meanwhile, anyone can beat NK while watching a tv show on another screen provided they just use a Dragonslayer Shield and get 40 stamina. That's Dark Souls 3 for you!
It's almost like you can be a glass cannon against even an optional secret boss once you learn the patterns

it's really funny to act like being able to easily kill things safely with a greatshield is something unique to ds3, or better than in the other games

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are saying the twin princes were difficult.

All you have to do is roll around everywhere and use a lightning weapon then you win.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

It's almost like you can be a glass cannon against even an optional secret boss once you learn the patterns

it's really funny to act like being able to easily kill things safely with a greatshield is something unique to ds3, or better than in the other games

You can but it's much more punishing because too many enemies in this game spam 360 swings with impossible range that are somehow also lightining fast and deal massive damage. DS3 is the cheapest in the series by a landslide.

Funny anecdote: first time I got to Pontiff I tried to beat him the way I would a BB boss. I found it very frustrating because he was so spammy that even after I got his timing down sometimes I didn't have enough stamina to hit him after his barrage. Again I hope DLCs are better but so far DS3 is not as good as other games in the series (except maybe DS2), imo they were running on fumes mechanics wise and it shows.

Not saying there aren't some outliers (Gundyr, Dancer are very well done imo). Thing is, when a BB boss kills you you're like "was I too timid? am I timing my aggression right? let's get right into it again", when you lose to a DS3 boss it's usually "oh, he's spamming that move that covers the entire room and hits me for 40%hp, do I cheese him or do I level up more and then cheese him". Going from a game that allows you to be as aggressive as you want to this slog feels like a big step back in gameplay. Actually, maybe it's just that and I'm too harsh on DS3. Maybe I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I played it before BB and not after.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 12, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't ever fought a ds3 boss and thought "I should go level before trying to beat this again" or "I should cheese this".

Enemies not whiffing all the time just because you circlestafe(like in ds1) is a good thing, not a bad thing.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It is way too easy to circle strafe but roll souls is stupid too. Both are bad because it's one solution to every enemy in their respective games. You should be able to avoid some attacks with movement but have to roll for others, and the stamina cost of rolling should be high enough to force you to make that choice instead of just rolling constantly

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 12, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah like in DS2, which got the combat down perfectly

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah like in DS2, which got the combat down perfectly

Yep, once again, on paper DS2 is amazing (I won with a turtle greatshield build, but I had to commit to that playstyle with my stats, having those kinds of choices is awesome), too bad it will never ever not feel like total poo poo to actually play, and DS2 defenders will never ever not continue to just gloss over that and talk about how theoretically good the game is. DS2 would be the best game in the series if Souls was a series of turn-based RPGs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

Yep, once again, on paper DS2 is amazing (I won with a turtle greatshield build, but I had to commit to that playstyle with my stats, having those kinds of choices is awesome), too bad it will never ever not feel like total poo poo to actually play, and DS2 defenders will never ever not continue to just gloss over that and talk about how theoretically good the game is. DS2 would be the best game in the series if Souls was a series of turn-based RPGs.

DS2 doesn't feel like poo poo to play though?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

feelix posted:

I uhh... disagree? Is that glossing?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The movement in DS2 is fundamentally different from the other 4 games, I understand that some people don't mind it, maybe some people even like it better and that's why they like DS2? For someone who likes the movement in every other game in the series, DS2 should feel wrong.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

The movement in DS2 is fundamentally different from the other 4 games, I understand that some people don't mind it, maybe some people even like it better and that's why they like DS2? For someone who likes the movement in every other game in the series, DS2 should feel wrong.

One video game isn't "wrong" compared to another one. If you like one game, and also like another game, neither of them will feel "wrong". Cmon lol.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

Yeah no, not at all. They all feel fine, DS2 included.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I still have no idea what people mean when they refer to DS2's movement as feeling "wrong" or "different." The only difference I've ever noticed between it and DS1/DS3 is how rolling direction is calculated and the overall responsiveness of the dash/roll command in DS2 compared to the others. What specifically do people feel is different with its movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ds2's movement does not feel fine if you've played the other games in the series that have full radial movement instead of just specific angles

Vermain posted:

I still have no idea what people mean when they refer to DS2's movement as feeling "wrong" or "different." The only difference I've ever noticed between it and DS1/DS3 is how rolling direction is calculated and the overall responsiveness of the dash/roll command in DS2 compared to the others. What specifically do people feel is different with its movement?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJCejoSeF8&t=123s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4mFAsP3GDM
also there's some weirdness with how rolling attacks are angled, sprinting after stopping sprinting takes a lot longer to start than the other games, your character not turning around as smoothly, etc

lots of little things

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 12, 2019