Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Central getting his sweater back at the end of the legacy missions truly explains why the resistance succeeded, excellent worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Coolguye posted:

that girl is nowhere near black enough to be storm

TK-42-1 posted:

Look scarjo can play whatever role she wants

:drat:

But seriously, the default purple eyes that psi ops get are lame as hell, but glowing eyes makes them look like the mind-melting, lighting-slinging badasses they truly are. :hellyeah:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm getting back into XCOM via the Android port, which runs like a dream on my S8. Quick question, though: Is there NO way to access armour decos during customization? I know that on other platforms it was available (I think by DLC?) but I don't think that DLC is an option with this version, so why put the menu listing in there to begin with?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the game put the evac right there after a hard mission with a bunch of bullshit

https://i.imgur.com/La3Fnpu.gifv

im like nice, an easy extraction for once--

computer: haha SIKE

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
also my sniper decided to be a badass
https://i.imgur.com/JJgD6eW.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
when you know the mission went well

https://i.imgur.com/2YQADhY.gifv

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm literally on the victory lap for my commander/classic run of xcom 2 wotc bronze man! But I booted it up and realized I was on the final mission, the bit where I can go any time but haven't left yet. I can buy a bunch of stuff with intel (an extra squad member!!!), so I need to grind some intel since I have none. How do I do that?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

redreader posted:

I'm literally on the victory lap for my commander/classic run of xcom 2 wotc bronze man! But I booted it up and realized I was on the final mission, the bit where I can go any time but haven't left yet. I can buy a bunch of stuff with intel (an extra squad member!!!), so I need to grind some intel since I have none. How do I do that?

Well in the absolute worst case scenario you can sit at the reaper hq and passively accumulate about 5 Intel per day or you can fly around picking up whatever spawns (usually assorted loot scanning spots) until you get a mission from the other factions (reapers/skirmishers/templars) that offers up an Intel reward in exchange for extracting some civilian. Sometimes guerilla operations have intel rewards and sometimes you pick up advent datapads when enemies drop items those can be researched in the lab for a one time intel reward.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You deffo don’t need the intel; the advent tower assault isn’t too hard even without them. But if you’re committed, reaper hideout scans, hack rewards, and council missions.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

moist turtleneck posted:

also my sniper decided to be a badass
-snip-

I love that the actual shot is still coming from the pistol hanging on her hip.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How do the odds of a soldier having psi potential work in EU/EW? It says that soldiers with high will have a higher chance. Is the chance determined on recruitment with will only hinting at their potential, or do things that happen to their will post-recruitment affect their odds, like entering bleedout and the OTS upgrade that causes promotions to add more will? The soldiers you get from the Furies campaign made me wonder about the first option.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The furies iirc will always be psi compatible and Slingshot guy has a good likelihood too. Everyone else, it’s just a Will roll.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think you're also guaranteed to get at least one in your first batch of three, IIRC.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Dr Christmas posted:

How do the odds of a soldier having psi potential work in EU/EW? It says that soldiers with high will have a higher chance. Is the chance determined on recruitment with will only hinting at their potential, or do things that happen to their will post-recruitment affect their odds, like entering bleedout and the OTS upgrade that causes promotions to add more will? The soldiers you get from the Furies campaign made me wonder about the first option.

quote:

-The basic formula gives a soldier's chance of becoming Gifted as their Will stat divided by 4 (the default PSI_GIFT_CHANCE value); so a Colonel with 108 Will would have a 27% chance.

-If either 0 or 1 currently gifted soldiers are found, a soldier will receive a bonus to their chance which increases at lower levels.
--If there are zero current psionic soldiers, the bonus is 75 (rookie), 55 (squaddie), 35 (sergeant), and 15 (lieutenant).
--If there is one current psionic soldier, the bonus is 35 (rookie) and 15 (squaddie).
--It is unknown whether psionic soldiers created in the top two slots of a test pool of three count against this limit.

-The values for which an individual soldier's Gifted status is determined appear to be influenced by who else is tested at the same time as well as what slot order they are placed in (See Random vs Seed Guide for more information):

[...]

-If you really want a single soldier to acquire Psi-Abilities, you can save before testing him and reload, if he is not Gifted.
https://xcom.fandom.com/wiki/Psionic_Labs
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Psi_Lab_(EU2012)#Psi_Chance

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 12, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was about to say, I remember that you very specifically should NOT send a Fury through first since your first try will guarantee you a psi operative, but the Furies are also all guaranteed gifted so if you send one of them, you're wasting a 100% roll

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I got a lead on an Advent Site, how do I use it? I thought I'd have to research it but it isn't in my research list.

Danaru posted:

I was about to say, I remember that you very specifically should NOT send a Fury through first since your first try will guarantee you a psi operative, but the Furies are also all guaranteed gifted so if you send one of them, you're wasting a 100% roll

I'm fairly certain this isn't the case. Before I started XCom 2, I did a full EW playthrough and it took me like 4 or 5 tries to get a gifted. I remember this vividly because I was careful NOT to use more than 1 of my elite squad at a time. And the mission IMMEDIATELY AFTER was the dam mission to get the french chick, so I was mildly annoyed by that.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 13, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

khy posted:

I'm fairly certain this isn't the case. Before I started XCom 2, I did a full EW playthrough and it took me like 4 or 5 tries to get a gifted. I remember this vividly because I was careful NOT to use more than 1 of my elite squad at a time. And the mission IMMEDIATELY AFTER was the dam mission to get the french chick, so I was mildly annoyed by that.

Well, according to the formula listed on the pages linked just a few posts up, the explanation would be that it's NOT guaranteed for your first time through, and it's very possible to go quite a few rounds of testing before finding someone... if you're tossing in high-ranked soldiers. It's actually rather counter-intuitive, as while the Will stat does directly correlate to the likelihood of having the Gift, and thus you want it to be as high as possible when you send them in, when you don't have any Psi Soldiers yet (or only have one), your lowest-ranked soldiers get huge bonuses to their chances of having the gift. So the optimal way to do it is for your first round to be the lowest-ranked soldiers you have that you think you can take the distance, then once you've got a couple of Psychics, start sending in the experienced crew. Then start sending the lowbies in again if all your psychics die off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

khy posted:

I got a lead on an Advent Site, how do I use it? I thought I'd have to research it but it isn't in my research list.

Maybe you got awarded a pre-researched one or something? Alternatively: are there actually any Avatar Facilities in play? Facility leads don't reveal hidden facilities, they choose an existing one you can't reach and let you attack it directly, from any distance.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Maybe you got awarded a pre-researched one or something? Alternatively: are there actually any Avatar Facilities in play? Facility leads don't reveal hidden facilities, they choose an existing one you can't reach and let you attack it directly, from any distance.

Yeah, if you look at the list of icons on the bottom right of the geoscape, you'll see lock icons on most of the facilities. One of them won't have the lock icon, that's the facility that you just unlocked with the lead.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Whats the recommended mod manager? the one i was using isnt letting me delete old mods from its list, so its over 320 listed, while im no where near that subscribed anymore.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alternatively: are there actually any Avatar Facilities in play? Facility leads don't reveal hidden facilities, they choose an existing one you can't reach and let you attack it directly, from any distance.

Ohhhh, see I thought facility leads would REVEAL facilities that would let me lower the avatar timer. There were no facilities on the map, so I couldn't use the lead. My bad!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

winterwerefox posted:

Whats the recommended mod manager? the one i was using isnt letting me delete old mods from its list, so its over 320 listed, while im no where near that subscribed anymore.

I think it's called xcom2 community mod manager and it's hosted on GitHub

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Does anyone else have an issue launching EW from Steam? When I start the game, the window pops up where I choose between EW and EU, but when I select EW nothing happens for a few seconds and then the window pops up again.

This happens every few months it seems and the only fix is verifying the game files. But I'm using LW and a few submods and it's a pain trying to reinstall them in the right order so I can continue my campaign.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In XCom EU and EW, soldiers wouldn't be 'wounded' unless they took damage strong enough to overcome the HP granted by armor. If you wore 6HP armor and took 5HP of damage, no wounds.

In XCom 2, it seems like that is no longer the case? I had a ranger wearing Warden armor (+6 HP +1 armor) and he took 4 damage and got shredded when he stood too close to an exploding Sectopod. But he was listed as 'wounded' after the mission. Or did something else cause it?

Also, gently caress Codexes. Teleport doesn't trigger overwatch, the fuckoff AoE weapon disable, and the clone is just the poo poo icing on the fecal cake.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

khy posted:

In XCom EU and EW, soldiers wouldn't be 'wounded' unless they took damage strong enough to overcome the HP granted by armor. If you wore 6HP armor and took 5HP of damage, no wounds.

In XCom 2, it seems like that is no longer the case? I had a ranger wearing Warden armor (+6 HP +1 armor) and he took 4 damage and got shredded when he stood too close to an exploding Sectopod. But he was listed as 'wounded' after the mission. Or did something else cause it?

Also, gently caress Codexes. Teleport doesn't trigger overwatch, the fuckoff AoE weapon disable, and the clone is just the poo poo icing on the fecal cake.

Flashbang Codexes and they can't do any of that poo poo.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

khy posted:

In XCOM 2 they changed it so that if a soldier takes any wounds, they are counted as wounded. This is the case even if you heal it during the mission.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like it was Long War that made it so any damage that only hit armour caused no wounds, wasnt it? It was so long ago I dont remember for sure

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Danaru posted:

I feel like it was Long War that made it so any damage that only hit armour caused no wounds, wasnt it? It was so long ago I dont remember for sure

It was the same in vanilla XCOM. I think that Long War made the armour pips a different colour on the tactical layer.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

khy posted:

The thing about codexes is they pretty much have two modes of existence. You aren't well outfitted enough to kill them in one shot, usually that means one codex in amongst a more dangerous pod. With care toward the inevitable time spent reloading your guns you are better off ignoring them for the biggest immediate threat (mec, stun lancer, andromedon), alternatively you are late game and you're fighting a ton of codexes but you have EMP bombs and blue screen rounds so you can probably one shot them. I usually put volatile mix on my grenaders for exactly this reason and then later down the line train them on chain shot for chosen-killing / whathave you.

If you have the alien rulers DLC the frost bomb will also work like a charm, they can't clone when frozen.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

bpACH posted:

It was the same in vanilla XCOM. I think that Long War made the armour pips a different colour on the tactical layer.

LW2 added some items that gave ablative HP (kinda like shieldbearer buff) that didn't cause wounds if lost, but also couldn't be healed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So I couldn't find this mentioned with a quick search and you're all the only people who will likely ever care so here's a :justpost:
Note: I have no relation to this project.

So there's a fantastic, massive mod for the original x-com that's nearing completion. And by original I mean the 1994 version and more specifically the OpenXcom rewrite.
Have you ever found the Long War mods for the reboots to be too short? Craved something that makes I/I runs look like a cakewalk down a sunny lane? Wanted to follow the whole story? And most importantly like janky old graphics?

Then the X-Com Files might be for you! (Requires owning the original X-Com)
Yes it does pull inspiration from the TV show but has little else to do with it and nothing will be missed if you haven't watched it.

As a quick overview it's a mod that features you taking control of a small, underfunded, understaffed, limited power government agency tasked with investigating disturbing reports of unusual activity and suspicious sightings. Over time and through multiple story arcs the world will slowly come to realize that something is amiss and your task will shift from investigation to becoming the front line global defense against the alien invaders - essentially placing you at the start of normal X-Com and having to then follow more arcs to finally defeat the alien threat once and for all.

And while it was mentioned before it's good to reiterate: This mod is long. The early game prologue will take as much time or more as a Long War run before you even start getting into the various factions that need to be dealt with before the aliens even arrive - and if you're not fast enough you'll be fighting such overwhelming amounts of enemies that you're likely to lose too many countries and be too under-equipped to even harm the sectoids. Oh, and the sectoids are no longer basic chumps and laser/plasma weapons pack a huge punch until you develop armours that can mitigate their damage - you will lose agents.

Includes many new tile sets, merges TFTD content in (with a bunch of new stuff for it as well), adds many new armours, hundreds of weapons, secret occult items, completely overhauled psionics, tanks, robots, creepy spiders, shady organizations, and so much more. Seriously there's an incredible amount of content jammed in here.

Can you save the world when all you start with is just two agents and an old car? Hint: Probably not if you don't carefully read the help pages in the ufopedia as there are many new buttons including a research tree viewer which is essential to figuring out how to progress. Considering the nature of overhauls it is highly suggested you not play ironman and instead practice self-restraint as the game is liable to encounter crashes, bugs, and rarely save corruption.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The "pre-alien invasion" stuff sounds really cool but man the last thing I need is another mod built around inescapable outpacing/death spirals that you won't even know you're in for hours.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah that concept is amazing, but "Long War except with even more of everything that's wrong with Long War, in OG XCom so as to maximize bookkeeping and UI jank" is a pretty big dealbreaker. And I say this as someone who adores OG XCom.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yes unfortunately for the mod it does become very easy to fall behind if you're not used to either Final Mod Pack (which XCF is built on top of) balance or higher difficulty vanilla xcom in general. With that said keeping pace with the research isn't too daunting if you're actively capturing and dealing with threats as they pop up and expanding out bases. It's still brutally painful even on 'normal' difficulty and can overwhelm someone who isn't used to having to recover runs.

To make it easier to keep troops around the pack does contain a special 'gym' building which has slots to train troop (and dog) stats which can churn out decent soldiers after a few months to deal with the high mortality rates. You also do eventually gain access to more sacrificial things like scout drones which can use your ever-expanding production capabilities to help dampen losses. And yeah, bookkeeping and the ui will be the thing that turns most people away.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I do have openXcom (was playing TFTD again some time ago). Is that mod in a state that you can enjoy it start-to-finish, or is it simply not done yet? I'd like to try this.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dante80 posted:

I do have openXcom (was playing TFTD again some time ago). Is that mod in a state that you can enjoy it start-to-finish, or is it simply not done yet? I'd like to try this.

It's completely playable start-to-finish with only a few side story faction arcs not done.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Many thanks, will give it a try this weekend then. OG Xcom is what made me a man.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dante80 posted:

Many thanks, will give it a try this weekend then. OG Xcom is what made me a man.

i expect a trip report, friend

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dante80 posted:

Good luck! It's a wild ride. And another tip I should have mentioned in the post is to liberally use the 'Stats for nerds' button in the 'pedia as once something is researched the page will show all of their exact stats ie. range, damage types, aiming bonuses/penalties, armour mitigation percentages, etc. and not just damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

reignofevil posted:

you have EMP bombs and blue screen rounds so you can probably one shot them. I usually put volatile mix on my grenaders for exactly this reason and then later down the line train them on chain shot for chosen-killing / whathave you.

WHY THE gently caress WAS I SO STUPID? WHY DID I BOTHER WITH TRACER ROUNDS INSTEAD OF BLUE SCREEN ROUNDS???

I gave my sniper blue screen rounds and suddenly codexes can easily be 1-shot and are cake. Also I had NO IDEA they decrease hack difficulty on Sectopods, which is a super nice bonus.