Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No poo poo. Happy wife happy life and there's nothing wrong with a crossover if that's what she wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
She says she doesn't care that much but then is super unenthusiastic about a sedan. I was planning to buy one of the new turbo Subarus in a few months but she's really afraid of having her car die and getting in a bind somehow. It really sucks to buy a car I don't want right before I was going to buy a car I was stoked to at least check out, for just a bit less cash.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo. Happy wife happy life and there's nothing wrong with a crossover if that's what she wants.

Yeah I guess I'm just grumpy that it cuts my planned car purchase off at the knees a month or two before I almost limped my lovely old car over the finish line. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with her car even, it was super out of alignment and the mechanic said the noise definitely seemed to be transmission related, but it also stopped completely after alignment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
AAA is cheaper than a new car if she's worried about being stranded.

Though I know plenty of people who can't live with that paranoia.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uthor posted:

AAA is cheaper than a new car if she's worried about being stranded.

Though I know plenty of people who can't live with that paranoia.

I had my battery die at a gas station (7 loving years old) and I had no jump leads. AAA quoted my 180min for just a jump. (I called my dad who had jump leads instead, but I didn't want to bother him as it was like 11pm).
AAA won't keep you for being stranded, it will just be cheaper.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Spending $30k for a perfect marriage sounds like a no-brainer

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sits on Pilster posted:

Spending $30k for a perfect marriage sounds like a no-brainer

Yeah I am guessing all those XT Outbacks are going to be on a waitlist from hell so saying I'm a few weeks away from $36k for a perfect marriage and a hilarious oddball wagon is probably false

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

shovelbum posted:

Yeah it's hard for me to muster up much enthusiasm for buying my wife a boring crossover based on "my old car made a noise" when I've only ever had the same 98 beater Civic and was going to finally buy myself something fun, this is causing a huge amount of stress on my relationship because I'm allegedly too indecisive and have been looking at cars for years but I don't really drive much so never have had a real need to replace mine. We fight constantly about this and never about anything else.

Any reason you don’t consider the CX-5?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any reason you don’t consider the CX-5?

Neither of us really likes Mazda interiors

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just lmao at anyone who wants to buy an outback as their ~cool fun dream car~ making GBS threads on anyone else’s car preferences.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shovelbum posted:

New Mazda interiors? Because they’re like class leading at this point. You like what you like, no worries there - but if you haven’t sat in a new one your perception is probably not accurate.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just lmao at anyone who wants to buy an outback as their ~cool fun dream car~ making GBS threads on anyone else’s car preferences.

Agreed. My dad and sister both have the 6 cyl outbacks and both are replacing them with the new turbo version. They love em, but man they seem really boring to me and driving them isn't all that different from a crossover. Honestly I'd rather have the easier loading height of a standard crossover if I was looking at something like that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I am guessing all those XT Outbacks are going to be on a waitlist from hell so saying I'm a few weeks away from $36k for a perfect marriage and a hilarious oddball wagon is probably false

Are you Jim Halpert? Like, the Outback is a practical car with moderate utility and a good set of features, but I can't imagine being excited about it. Its very much a compromise car already.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

shovelbum posted:

That's weird. They're widely considered the best interiors on the market.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Thermopyle posted:

If you don't care that much and she does and you can afford it, let her have the drat car already.

But then what would they fight about for the next five years?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zapplez posted:

Are you Jim Halpert? Like, the Outback is a practical car with moderate utility and a good set of features, but I can't imagine being excited about it. Its very much a compromise car already.

My actual dream car is a van if that tells you something

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

That's weird. They're widely considered the best interiors on the market.

I'll sit in one again for you guys but they're not a fan fav around here

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I currently drive a 2008 Chrysler 300C Hemi. I think it's a pretty good mix of looks, performance, and comfort. I wish there was more headroom and a less massive rear blind spot, but otherwise I like it. Is this car literally the only semi-luxury large sedan from any domestic car company? I'm casually looking around for something similar to my 300, but I don't really want a BMW or an Infiniti.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I currently drive a 2008 Chrysler 300C Hemi. I think it's a pretty good mix of looks, performance, and comfort. I wish there was more headroom and a less massive rear blind spot, but otherwise I like it. Is this car literally the only semi-luxury large sedan from any domestic car company? I'm casually looking around for something similar to my 300, but I don't really want a BMW or an Infiniti.

There's big Cadillac sedans with tons of cash on the hood, have you looked at those? If the CTS is big enough for you, those can be had cheap for the class. You could also just buy a 12 year newer Chrysler 300.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If I wanted a nice large and performant domestic vehicle I'd at least look at the last model year they mad ethe SHO.

I haven't actually ever drove a new one or seen the interior, but I've always had a soft spot for the SHO.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The new Chev Impala is arguably the best full sized american sedan being produced today. 300 HP from a DI V6 with tons of space and pretty good tech package.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

If I wanted a nice large and performant domestic vehicle I'd at least look at the last model year they mad ethe SHO.

I haven't actually ever drove a new one or seen the interior, but I've always had a soft spot for the SHO.

The last SHO was insanely cramped inside for being the size of a small tugboat

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Casu Marzu posted:

I’ve have a 2013 SHO and I would agree with this. No way the OP would like it coming from a 300C.

I mean I love my SHO, but don’t really recommend them to folks.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

There's big Cadillac sedans with tons of cash on the hood, have you looked at those? If the CTS is big enough for you, those can be had cheap for the class. You could also just buy a 12 year newer Chrysler 300.

I've been considering CTSs, but I haven't driven one. They also seem to maintain their value a little too well as far as getting a deal on a used one goes, but I'm still looking at them. I've also thought about getting another newer Chrysler 300, but it'd be nice to find something with more headroom.

zapplez posted:

The new Chev Impala is arguably the best full sized american sedan being produced today. 300 HP from a DI V6 with tons of space and pretty good tech package.

Oh, yeah. The Impala. I've driven those in the past. I'm gonna look into those. Thanks.

Edit: I did find a couple of CTSs in the area that aren't too bad. Maybe I'll take one for a ride.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 11, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is the base engine in the CX-5 like miserable or anything looking at you base Subaru engines

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not domestic, but Genesis has some pretty baller cars without really having the same image as the Japanese or Germans.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Hello Thread.

We are looking to upgrade our current vehicle (2002 Focus) to something newer and more reliable. I'm in Canada so I'm giving conversions here too.

Proposed Budget: $15,000 CDN or less (11,356 USD)
New or Used: Used (less than 10 years old if possible)
Body Style: Not a coup or a truck. Wouldn't mind a larger vehicle for the rare times we need to haul a piece of furniture, but realistically that is very rare.
How will you be using the car?: Vehicle needs to fit two adults and a 3 year old in a car seat. We don't commute, so the car would only be for short trips around the city, and occasional road trips of 3-4 hours. I think we average less than 5000 KM a year right now (3100 miles).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) We don't need gizmos - I don't care about bluetooth, cruise control, power windows. What I do want is a comfortable ride, and quality interior materials. I'm not a sport driver, so I don't need road feel or tight handling. I want to float on a cloud and drive with one finger.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, cost, comfort.

From reading the thread, it seems like reliability and MPG won't matter much to us, since we put on so few KMs - but our current car has left us stranded before, and that can't happen with our kid now.

I feel like I am in Corolla/Civic territory here as far as cost and practical requirements, but these seem geared to the sportier feel. Any recommendations? Should I look for a good deal on an Avalon, or would the cost of ownership be much higher?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Swinemaster posted:

I feel like I am in Corolla/Civic territory here as far as cost and practical requirements, but these seem geared to the sportier feel. Any recommendations? Should I look for a good deal on an Avalon, or would the cost of ownership be much higher?

Yeah civic or Corolla territory for sure but you mentioned looking for a more luxury feel interior, maybe look for a good deal on an Acura ILX or Lexus ES or something. Same build, same platform as the civic/Corolla, but feels more luxury on the inside.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Aww, that's disappointing. I really loved my '93 SHO back in the day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A 3-year-old is just about out of the worst time for the amount of room they take up, but I think you'd still be much happier with something bigger, at least in the small crossover segment. At any rate you are correct that fuel mileage is nearly a non issue for you since you've already taken the best possible step to cutting fuel cost by not driving as much.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Swinemaster posted:

Hello Thread.

We are looking to upgrade our current vehicle (2002 Focus) to something newer and more reliable. I'm in Canada so I'm giving conversions here too.

Proposed Budget: $15,000 CDN or less (11,356 USD)
New or Used: Used (less than 10 years old if possible)
Body Style: Not a coup or a truck. Wouldn't mind a larger vehicle for the rare times we need to haul a piece of furniture, but realistically that is very rare.
How will you be using the car?: Vehicle needs to fit two adults and a 3 year old in a car seat. We don't commute, so the car would only be for short trips around the city, and occasional road trips of 3-4 hours. I think we average less than 5000 KM a year right now (3100 miles).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) We don't need gizmos - I don't care about bluetooth, cruise control, power windows. What I do want is a comfortable ride, and quality interior materials. I'm not a sport driver, so I don't need road feel or tight handling. I want to float on a cloud and drive with one finger.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, cost, comfort.

From reading the thread, it seems like reliability and MPG won't matter much to us, since we put on so few KMs - but our current car has left us stranded before, and that can't happen with our kid now.

Big Toyota comfy cruiser that will last - but its already a 2013
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/camry/kitchener/ontario/5_45248402_20160405145950871/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=5_15_15&sprx=100

A "fun" small car with good interior - certified warranty - hard to have this thing burn you for a long time - Mazda
https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/mazda...&urm=8&sprx=100

A practical family car with some certified warranty left - Hyundai
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai/sonata/markham/ontario/5_44518733_on20090323104255701/?showcpo=CpoOnly&ncse=no&orup=1_2_2&sprx=100

Actually fun car and enough room for family - Honda
https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/honda/accord/markham/ontario/5_44824855_on20071217113451578/?showcpo=CpoOnly&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&sprx=100

Will be the cheapest to run month to month - Honda
https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/honda..._15_22&sprx=100

Manual Wildcard
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/volkswagen/passat/orangeville/ontario/5_44402672_20130513115352162/?showcpo=CpoOnly&ncse=no&orup=1_2_2&sprx=100

The Mazda 3/ Accord / Civic / Camry are all good choices.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Also fwiw I drive a 2012 Civic EX and have 2 kids aged 2 and 4. We go on trips all over Ontario and while the car is packed to the brim, I have no problem packing for a weeklong excursion for the 3 of us. I drive the poo poo out of it and it's never let me down with an unexpected maintenance problem.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah civic or Corolla territory for sure but you mentioned looking for a more luxury feel interior, maybe look for a good deal on an Acura ILX or Lexus ES or something. Same build, same platform as the civic/Corolla, but feels more luxury on the inside.

What are Acura and Lexus like for repairs though? I guess the parts aren't interchangeable with their Honda/Toyota counterparts, but are they cheaper than other luxury brands?

IOwnCalculus posted:

A 3-year-old is just about out of the worst time for the amount of room they take up, but I think you'd still be much happier with something bigger, at least in the small crossover segment. At any rate you are correct that fuel mileage is nearly a non issue for you since you've already taken the best possible step to cutting fuel cost by not driving as much.

This would be like a Rav4 or CRV, right? My partner definitely has her eye on those, but they have been hard to find a good deal on.

zapplez posted:

Autotrader links

This is helpful - cheers.

Edit: Speaking of Camrys, most that I see in my price range are 2010 hybrids. Is that a worry? It seems like it might be close to end of life of the battery at 10 years. Right?

The Swinemaster fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 12, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Also fwiw I drive a 2012 Civic EX and have 2 kids aged 2 and 4. We go on trips all over Ontario and while the car is packed to the brim, I have no problem packing for a weeklong excursion for the 3 of us. I drive the poo poo out of it and it's never let me down with an unexpected maintenance problem.

I do not understand how you physically fit kids in the back if they're rear facing in not large rear end sedans or SUVs, unless you and SO are very short. Even a CRV is at the very edge for me comfort wise in the front seat with a kid behind me. I'm around 6'1" and need some recline to be comfortable, though.

Still haven't decided what to get, going to look at a Traverse and maybe an Impala eventually if I ever get time.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Swinemaster posted:

What are Acura and Lexus like for repairs though? I guess the parts aren't interchangeable with their Honda/Toyota counterparts, but are they cheaper than other luxury brands?

I dont have the shop manuals for them, but I know the ILX shares many drivetrain parts and some suspension parts with the Civic, and I'd assume the ES to be the same with the Corolla/Camry. If you take it to a good mechanic (not sure how the dealer mechanics are for luxury brands), because the layout and parts are nearly the same, it shouldn't cost any more than servicing a straight Honda/Toyota.

I only work on my own and friends cars tho, so I dont have much experience with mechanics. Anyone else chime in on Honda/Toyota service costs vs Acura/Lexus? I'm curious myself

Suburban Dad posted:

I do not understand how you physically fit kids in the back if they're rear facing in not large rear end sedans or SUVs, unless you and SO are very short. Even a CRV is at the very edge for me comfort wise in the front seat with a kid behind me. I'm around 6'1" and need some recline to be comfortable, though.

I'm 5'11" but I've found the civic to have decent front legroom at the expense of the rear passengers. But as I have 2 car seats back there (both forward facing now), people usually don't sit back there lol

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 12, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm 5'11" but I've found the civic to have decent front legroom at the expense of the rear passengers. But as I have 2 car seats back there (both forward facing now), people usually don't sit back there lol

Yep, about what I figured.

My car seat says I can turn them front facing once >22 lbs, but the fact that it's so much safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible (40 lbs, so like age 3-5 I'd guess?) keeps me from turning it, much as I want to keep my car. :(

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 12, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Swinemaster posted:

Edit: Speaking of Camrys, most that I see in my price range are 2010 hybrids. Is that a worry? It seems like it might be close to end of life of the battery at 10 years. Right?

nah the drivetrain is pretty robust. i would be worried about them being ex taxis though. if the battery just degrades, the car still works fine. if the battery fully dies, you do need to replace it as the drivetrain won't work without some HV battery functionality.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You don't replace a hybrid battery, you repair it. It's about as easy as repairing your laptop. Swap individual modules in and out. Use voltage tester to see which ones are under performing. The cells are like $30/each and getting cheaper.

The only hybrid batteries to get swapped out, are when old people get swindled by the dealership to pay thousands of dollars for useless poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

new/reman complete batteries are still viable for cars with highly degraded cells since you can buy one for like a thousand bucks, once you get in to replacing like half the cells in a Prius battery the economics shift towards full replacement - but that's still not that expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Swinemaster posted:

I can only speak to Lexus, but for cars that have a Toyota equivalent, most of the major things are interchangeable. Our GX470 is basically a 4Runner premium and the chassis, engine, transmission, 4wd system, most of the other running gear, are all the same. Our LS430, on the other hand, has an engine that’s only in Lexus vehicles in the US and is mostly its own thing. Luxury cars will have extra interior bits and doodads that can be more expensive to fix or replace. For example, the LS430 has a goofy mark levinson sound system that needed an amplifier replaced and it was like $700, and the upper lumbar seat motor seems to be burned out and I’m not sure I even want to know how much that is if I have it fixed for me (used part doesn’t look too bad though.) The GX470 has 196,000 miles on it though and hasn’t needed anything Lexus specific fixed.