Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do goth/scene/whatever the gently caress Kylie is supposed to be still exist still or is that too dated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do goth/scene/whatever the gently caress Kylie is supposed to be still exist still or is that too dated?

She exists in the comics, working at Ray’s bookshop, and later as a GB in her own right when the guys go MIA in time.

So I’ve got the 4K Blu-ray, and tried it this evening to see how it looks. I was expecting a crystal clear vibrant picture, but drat it’s dark and super grainy. Honestly, I’m very disappointed.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The_Doctor posted:

So I’ve got the 4K Blu-ray, and tried it this evening to see how it looks. I was expecting a crystal clear vibrant picture, but drat it’s dark and super grainy. Honestly, I’m very disappointed.

I have not seen the 4K Ghostbusters disc yet, but I got to say, I really appreciate when discs capture the look of film accurately instead of trying to remove film grain.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is the full fort detmerring scene on there?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Ecto One with light and sound looks amazing for $20, unfortunately they dont ship to the UK :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Ecto One with light and sound looks amazing for $20, unfortunately they dont ship to the UK :smith:

Remember UK voltage will probably kill it in seconds.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

She exists in the comics, working at Ray’s bookshop, and later as a GB in her own right when the guys go MIA in time.

It's just the way the movie was made. Not much to be done about it outside of a few specific shots where I think the grain could've been reduced somewhat. But that's just the overall look of the film, it's a dark and grainy holdover from a more 70s style of filmmaking versus Ghostbusters 2 which came along 5 years later and is much more slick and modern looking.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's just the way the movie was made. Not much to be done about it outside of a few specific shots where I think the grain could've been reduced somewhat. But that's just the overall look of the film, it's a dark and grainy holdover from a more 70s style of filmmaking versus Ghostbusters 2 which came along 5 years later and is much more slick and modern looking.

Ok, wow, I've tried to pinpoint what it was about GB1 and films of that era, vs GB2. Is that it? I mean, it also feels like 2 was physically shot differently as well, had way more closeups, and also felt better lit, overall.

Like, compare the meetings with the mayor in both films. GB1 feels like it was filmed in a real office in downtown, and maybe there should be a haze of cigarette smoke in the air or something. The meeting in 2 felt like it was done on a soundstage / studio, and everything is crystal clear and bright (despite it being at night).

Is there anywhere where can read more about this specific kind of change/difference? I feel like Back to the Future 1 and 2 were like this, and 3 was like GB2, but I might be way off with that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a discussion of it in the Physical Media thread I think, but a lot of it is about the film stock that was used. I'm not enough of an expert to explain it in detail but a certain type of film was used to shoot Ghostbusters in 1984 and then by 1989 the industry had moved to a different standard.

Yea it was that thread, Here's the gist of it from that conversation:

VoodooXT posted:

Ghostbusters was shot on Eastmancolor 5294, which was a notoriously lovely film stock. It was super grainy even if you processed it as normal without pushing and it had terrible blue/green separation so you couldn't use it for compositing work.

VoodooXT posted:

It was the fastest film available up to that time, so it meant you didn't need to use as much light if you wanted to shoot scenes in low light and night urban exteriors, and Ghostbusters sure had a lot of those.

5294 was also the film used to shoot Aliens, which James Cameron notoriously complained about when the Alien Anthology was about to be released. The film stock only lasted like 3 years and was replaced by the better 5295. Ghostbusters 2 was shot on 5295.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 15, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Amazing to think that the spooky, oppressive atmosphere in some of our favorite films was, in some significant part, due to a lovely product that the filmmakers wished they could've thrown in a dumpster fire the whole time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah one of the local theatres here specializes in showing classic films and when they showed Ghostbusters I was surprised by how grainy it was.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I really really want the old Hallmark Stay Puft ornament but I've pretty much accepted that I just can't get it at a reasonable cost. Postage to Australia is a real killer as well. :(
Edit: I just checked prices/postage and the lowest I could find was around $60 and the average is about $100.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

McSpanky posted:

Amazing to think that the spooky, oppressive atmosphere in some of our favorite films was, in some significant part, due to a lovely product that the filmmakers wished they could've thrown in a dumpster fire the whole time.

Is this why all the interior scenes in E.T. look like the house is on fire and filling with smoke?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kevyn posted:

Is this why all the interior scenes in E.T. look like the house is on fire and filling with smoke?

No, that’s just what Spielberg remembers growing up in Arizona and California looking like

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

No, that’s just what Spielberg remembers growing up in Arizona and California looking like

And now it happens for real, every year! :haw: :negative:

Btw, thanks for the info about the film stock, goons! I find that stuff interesting, and it'd be super neat to see a big-budget film from the 5294 era shot in 5295. Do those exist, or did 95 just flat out not exist then? I'd look this all up, but I'm at work, and am already spending enough work time on SA.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, thanks for all the fascinating info! So basically we’ll never get a crisp clear GB84, and the Blu-ray version is kinda superior for clarity?

Also, I guess that’s why Aliens hasn’t had a 4K release either? So many dark scenes that just become a snowstorm because of the grain?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

There was a discussion of it in the Physical Media thread I think, but a lot of it is about the film stock that was used. I'm not enough of an expert to explain it in detail but a certain type of film was used to shoot Ghostbusters in 1984 and then by 1989 the industry had moved to a different standard.

Yea it was that thread, Here's the gist of it from that conversation:

Thank you! This is something I have wondered for the longest time but never figured out quite how to articulate it. I always thought the way GB1 looked compared to GB2 was more realistic and film like but could never put my finger on why I thought that.

I always used to feel that GB1 was a film and GB2 was more a TV episode (not just the look but the shots) and knowing that the film used is one of the big differences gives me that classic A-ha! moment.

It has also made me wonder, if GB1 had been shot on the same film as GB2 would it still look as good? Does the lower quality film enhance the atmosphere of GB1. Similarly if GB2 had been shot on the same film as GB1 would be better received?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Has there ever been a canonical crossover between the Ghostbusters and the Real Ghostbusters?

When I was a kid I used made it work by thinking the Filmation Ghostbusters were the kids of the original Ghostbusters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, thanks for all the fascinating info! So basically we’ll never get a crisp clear GB84, and the Blu-ray version is kinda superior for clarity?

Also, I guess that’s why Aliens hasn’t had a 4K release either? So many dark scenes that just become a snowstorm because of the grain?

Unfortunately 4k is one of those things that just isn't as simple as like when we made the jump from VHS to DVD or even DVD to blu ray. When it shines, it really can be a stunning format and for me it was totally worth the money I spent on upgrading, BUT you can't just automatically re-buy all your old blu rays in 4k and assume it's gonna be a clear upgrade. You kinda have to pick your spots, read reviews, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the format.

So like, with Ghostbusters one thing that hurts the UHD is that there was a somewhat recent "mastered in 4k" blu ray release that looked really really good. So this isn't a situation where the UHD came along and replaced an aging blu ray from 2007. And that situation shows up with a decent amount of popular older films, like Goodfellas, which also got a really nice new blu ray transfer within a year or so of the UHD release. Then you throw in something like the specific filmstock used(for GB) to shoot the film not being ideal in terms of grain, and the UHD just isn't really that great compared to the already excellent blu ray.

Then, even within some films you have to accept some ups and downs if you want to enjoy what 4k has to offer, because they can be a bit uneven. Take the Predator UHD for example, there are a few scenes early on that I'd consider overly grainy to the point of being a distraction......but then that kinda resolves itself and the majority of the movie looks fantastic. So for a movie nerd it's actually kind of a fun format because there's lots of factors to evaluate and pay attention to but not every release is a no-brainer upgrade, and that's without even getting into upscaled digital intermediates.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 15, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SimonCat posted:

Has there ever been a canonical crossover between the Ghostbusters and the Real Ghostbusters?

When I was a kid I used made it work by thinking the Filmation Ghostbusters were the kids of the original Ghostbusters.

Isn't there an episode where the Real Ghostbusters visit the seg where GB84 is being filmed and find it haunted?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SimonCat posted:

The IDW comics have 'The Ghostbusters Get Real' with the film Ghostbusters meeting the cartoon ones and pointing out about every difference. Also later on that connects to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover, where they recruit 'Blonde Egon' to replace the MIA movie Egon.

They also had a crossover later with the 2016 Ghostbusters, which may or may not have actually managed to salvage something out of that. I'm sure they'd probably have done one with the Filmation Ghostbusters too if they had the rights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I believe they mean the Filmation GBs and the RGBs, in which case, no.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It will be considered Ghostbusters 3 until the next Ghostbusters thing comes out and THAT will be Ghostbusters 3.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/MoreHorror/status/1158193366867181569

https://twitter.com/MI_Ghostbusters/status/1157522209625268229

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if people ate the fluff that exploded out of the giant marshmallow man at the end of GB1 and were like "wow this is actually pretty good" and that led to a big surge in sales

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's no such thing as bad pr. The mascot rampaging through mid town Manhattan was great for brand recognition.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

deoju posted:

There's no such thing as bad pr. The mascot rampaging through mid town Manhattan was great for brand recognition.

“Stay-Puft: Ray Stanz Nearly Ended The World Because He Loved Our Marshmallows So Much”

*four months later*

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Cameo posted:

“Stay-Puft: Ray Stanz Nearly Ended The World Because He Loved Our Marshmallows So Much”

*four months later*

Feels like the prequel to The Stuff. The government buries his body, he oozes out of the ground as he decomposes, people eat it, and they become possessed and go crazy.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Violator posted:

Feels like the prequel to The Stuff. The government buries his body, he oozes out of the ground as he decomposes, people eat it, and they become possessed and go crazy.

Stay-Puft’s body? He was liquid by the end there, buddy, they painted IF YOU SEEK HIS FLAVOR, LOOK AROUND YOU in the middle of Central Park West in memoriam

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Was the Stay Puft marshmallow man made of actual marshmallow or was it not just white ectoplasm?

It is a nice touch that Dana buys a pack of Stay Puft marshmallows at the start of the film. They don't appear again in GB2 do they?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Was the Stay Puft marshmallow man made of actual marshmallow or was it not just white ectoplasm?

It is a nice touch that Dana buys a pack of Stay Puft marshmallows at the start of the film. They don't appear again in GB2 do they?

They don't. There IS one shot somewhere in GB1 with a Stay Puft billboard on the side of a building, though.

It was surreal when I noticed that after watching the film many, many times over the past few decades.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Stay-Puft references earlier in the film (Dana's shopping and a billboard in a matte painting) were so subtle that unless you watched the film over and over, you'd never notice them. It's one of those cases where blatant would have been better, because I remember that Ray's "It's the Stay-Puft marshmallow man" mostly got "the what-what man, now?" reactions in the cinema instead of laughs. (Although it could have been that I'm a Brit and marshmallows just weren't a thing here in the 80s.)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The text on the marshmallow bag is pretty small. And the mural is pretty faded. Watching a VHS copy on an 18" CRT it'd be easy to miss.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was it ever supposed to be an actual, recognizable mascot like Big Boy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LividLiquid posted:

Was it ever supposed to be an actual, recognizable mascot like Big Boy?

It's really similar to bunch of old mascots, but still legally distinct from any of them

Edit: apparently he appeared in Aykroyd's original script

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's really similar to bunch of old mascots, but still legally distinct from any of them

Edit: apparently he appeared in Aykroyd's original script
Stay-Puft was at one point just one form of many that the Big Bad took before its final reveal. The Making Of Ghostbusters has concept art of a giant skeletal demon in the sky over Manhattan. (The 'Busters were on some sort of floating platform, so it was when the script was still near-future sci-fi.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stay Puft turning to liquid means it got pretty hot, right? Did Walter Peck die from being scalded by molten hot mallow?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

deoju posted:

The text on the marshmallow bag is pretty small. And the mural is pretty faded. Watching a VHS copy on an 18" CRT it'd be easy to miss.

I don't recall the mural, but I definitely didn't notice the bag until DVD

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Stay Puft turning to liquid means it got pretty hot, right? Did Walter Peck die from being scalded by molten hot mallow?

Rapidly dropping through the air cooled it. :eng101:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't recall the mural, but I definitely didn't notice the bag until DVD

Definitely noticed the bag in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
They actually had the original prop on display at Comic Con!

... It did not age well.